gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:28:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denny -- The Group's Strongest Vocalist?  (Read 18243 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »

Was just gonna post that same thing: difference of melody v harmonies. There is an A5 (i.e a major third above the F) at 1:12. Harmony part above the melody. Really, really high.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:05 AM »

Any higher ones?  I remember "Catch A Wave" because I was doing a BBs tribute gig and for fun I tried out Brian's parts to see if I could do them in case the other guy needed to sub something out.  That one and the end of "California Girls" ("could be...") were the ones that defeated me.  But they weren't as high as G5 I don't think, I'm figuring they're up around a high F or something.  But the syllables make them a bitch to sing, at least the way I sing up there.  it'd probably be easier for someone who had a different technique for their top notes.  I remember "Little Deuce Coupe" was kind of a bitch too, but doable if you got enough breath under ya.  But my impression is in the later years with Bruce in the band some of those block harmonies with six parts got REAL high, though I can't think of one right now.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 05:01:29 AM »

At the end of "Forever (vocals only)" Brian hits a slightly flat Bb5. But wait, it's Bruce at the na na na na's in "GV"? Isn't it Brian?

Another high Brian is "Papa Oom Mow Mow". "Catch A Wave", I believe, is "just" a D.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:14:21 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 06:27:22 AM »

I also found it interesting to read that Bruce is the guy going those high parts at the end of Good Vibrations...interesting stuff Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »

I never noticed the A5 above the F in Surfs Up. I will have to listen to that again.

Interesting, I never heard that was Bruce on GV. I suppose that everyone that wrote about the song assumed it was Brian. What source revealed it to be Bruce?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »

I think it's just simple logic - Bruce went with Brian in the harmony, because he's the only one (until Carl got a bit older) who could hit those notes. I think it's Bruce & Brian doubling on the high harmonies there - I can hear him in there slightly.

There's 'Friends' as well - the bit at the end of the verses, which i think is also 'just' a D hit by Brian. But it's a bloody stratospheric D.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 12:06:34 PM »

Brian - strength: Great range, and pitch perfect, best falsetto in pop music, best in ballad's, strong  in some up beat numbers
         - weakness: Lacks emotion, especially after 1968 or so, with a few exceptions

Dennis - strength: Raw and emotional, great performing singer, can do hard rock and ballad's
            - weakness: Not the prettiest voice, especially after 1974 or so, could go flat at times

Carl - strength: Greatest all around voice, great on ballad's and sound's beautiful even in the up beat rockers, he made a horrible song sound good.
       - weakness: All though he showed he could sing up beat 'r&b' type songs, he wasn't as strong on hard rock songs

Mike - strength: unique and catchy rock lead voice, and a nice ballad voice, great bass voice
        - weakness: Often lacks emotion, nasal lead got annoying by the late 70s.

Al - strength: Strong pitch perfect voice, great for soft folk songs
    - weakness: lacks emotion, somewhat annoying on up beat leads

Bruce - strength: Very strong for slow songs, great pitch
          - weakness: A bit loungey for pop/rock music

Blondie - strength: Great rock, lots of soul, great emotion
             - weakness: Not always pitch perfect

Ricky - strength: I really like him on Here She Comes
         - weakness: Haven't heard enough of him to really say

I would go along with this except to say towards the end, when Carl got huskier, he became a really GREAT soul-rock singer.  His "Sail On Sailor" from the '90s is spine-tingling.  It's sort of moot, though, because he didn't record much in that era.

I was looking at the above thing about who had the biggest range.  I was thinking that Carl ought to outrank Al in that department, but on reflection, Al could almost certainly sing lower than Carl, and that counts.  So I think saying Al had more range than Carl is probably about right.

That said, what's the highest note anyone ever hit on a BBs record?  I believe it might be the high harmony to "domino" at 1:15 on the BBs version of "Surf's Up."  I don't have a guitar handy to check the note, but it's north of my own range, which puts it up around G5.  Of course, it might be sped up, but I don't hear that it is.  That one's Carl (or...listening again...is it Bruce ??)...anyone got a higher one?

How bout the repeated "Jai Guru Dev" at the end of "All This Is That"? that's Carl right? And a high ass note. Maybe not as high as the end of Surf's Up, but still pretty impressive.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »

How bout the repeated "Jai Guru Dev" at the end of "All This Is That"? that's Carl right? And a high ass note. Maybe not as high as the end of Surf's Up, but still pretty impressive.
On the 1 beat it is a C#. The pickup note in the repeated iterations is a D.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »

Good to know!

I'm an OK singer. Just OK, but my vocal warm-up method has always been to sing either Surf's Up and/or the end of All This Is That, both of which I can pull off pretty damn well. But I tell ya, some days, for whatever reason, I simply can't hit those notes in Jai Guru Dev or the "domino" in Surf's up! I can't imagine being Carl and having to nail it night after night live!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:37:51 PM by Erik H » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »

No way the end of Good Vibrations is Bruce - I could possibly buy Bruce doubling Brian, but not Bruce alone. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »

On another note: on "All I Wanna Do" (Sunflower) regarding the line in the bridge "when I sit and close my eyes, a gentle thought comes in my mind".... The second half of that line goes up higher in basically a falsetto. Is this Mike? If so, it's very out of character for his singing style. I'd be very impressed if it's him.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

I can hit a C just below the F in Surfs Up in full operatic voice. But I can't go much higher than the F in falsetto. Maybe a G.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »

does anyone mind if I post in pink?

Yes, I do. I use the brick theme on this mb, which has a yellow background (much easier on aging eyes than the standard theme). Needless to say, pink isn't legible.

Sorry for the eye strain.  No more pink.  But...how do you change themes?  I see the colors in the top left...I'm using Firefox, by the way.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »

Oh yeah.  Jai Guru Dev.  That vocal tag (by Carl, I believe as well) is one of my favorites.  One of those "i need to hear this...so please shut the flunk up for a second" vocal-moments.  Yes.   Thud

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »

On another note: on "All I Wanna Do" (Sunflower) regarding the line in the bridge "when I sit and close my eyes, a gentle thought comes in my mind".... The second half of that line goes up higher in basically a falsetto. Is this Mike? If so, it's very out of character for his singing style. I'd be very impressed if it's him.

Sounds like Mike to me - one of my favorite vocals of his, in fact.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »

I think so.  During the 70s, I think that's unquestionable.

Its very questionable, infact I'm questioning it right now. He was good, but the strongest? Nay, and better than Brian? You're high.

LOL

So to modify that:  Denny's the strongest vocalist when high?  Maybe he is.  You may have something there. 

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »

Sounds like Mike to me - one of my favorite vocals of his, in fact.

Yeah, other than his making fun of Brian on that comedy track, that's the only Mike Love falsetto performance that I'm aware of.  Can anyone think of any others?

RE:  "Good Vibrations" Bruce v. Brian...not going to stake my reputation on it or anything, because I really haven't listened too closely, but the tone always struck me as too soft and rounded for Brian and more Bruce's thing.  But "it ain't a hill worth dying on" -- I'm deliberately NOT going to listen and leave it open to everyone's interpretation!

Man, an F is impressive, even in falsetto!  Nice!  I can grab an F on a good day, but it's nasty.  I had to do it recently at an Elton tribute gig:  "And he shall be LEE--von..."  For ease of singing I prefer not to go over C if I can help it, but I have a regular session gig layering backups that often requires me to go higher, up to an E.  Not the most COMFORTABLE singing range, though, is it?  Some guys have that extra falsetto that gets 'em up even higher than that.  I don't know how they do it.  It's really amazing to me.  The Fosketts of this world...hats off to 'em.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:33:11 PM by adamghost » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »

I just listened to a Stereo Good Vibrations and will happily put my non-reputation on the line and suggest that, after painstaking  examination, all I can say for sure is that, to these ears, it's most certainly not Brian. It doesn't have the Brian shrillness, (shrill in the most awesome way) isn't Carl or Al, neither Dennis or Mike were likely to have have been assigned that part, so that leaves Bruce! Unless Brian had Marilyn do it! But it SOUNDS like a Beach Boys, so my money is on Bruce.

Damm good tune BTW. Damn track never ceases to blow my mind.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:12:32 PM by Erik H » Logged
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »

My isolated copy of that vocal sounds a lot like Bruce, with Brian floating in the background underneath, but that's after heavy extraction processing, so still not a guarantee.  Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 05:04:43 AM »

Re: Mike's falsetto, there's a track on Keepin' The Summer Alive in which he busts it out for a few notes, but I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to that entire record for that!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2011, 07:26:37 AM »

My isolated copy of that vocal sounds a lot like Bruce, with Brian floating in the background underneath, but that's after heavy extraction processing, so still not a guarantee.  Grin
I have no isolated vocals to compare with, but after listening to the Lei'd in Hawaii rehearsals for GV (from the Hawthorne comp), where Brian sings the part, and then to the studio version, I'd say that Brian is in there, although maybe not alone.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »

This guy from the Danielson Famile can really gets up there

http://youtu.be/sUG0S2ClC2w

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

I'm kind of thinking of the entire range of the group's career ... Al is a great singer (and guitar player), super unrecognized and i think the group's true secret weapon.  i think, being a humble guy, that his influence on the group is greater than we may realize.

1 - Carl
2 - Al
3 - Brian
4 - Dennis
5 - Mike
6 - Bruce

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »

Re: Mike's falsetto, there's a track on Keepin' The Summer Alive in which he busts it out for a few notes, but I'll be damned if I'm going to listen to that entire record for that!

Really?!?  I don't remember that.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

Hmmm, is it on Oh Darlin?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx