gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:40:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 327 328 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 336 337 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1735324 times)
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: October 29, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »

I don't know if this works outside Germany, but on www.simfy.de you can listen to the whole SMILE 5 CD set for free.

All you need is an account, then you have 20 hrs free SMiLE. It should be even for non German speaker easy to registrate, the words are quite similar.

Try it out, I hope it works
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8276 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:01 AM »

Two questions:

1) if any of you already have both the boxset and the 2-LP set, what's the "inner sleeve art" that's supposed to be exclusive to the 2-LP set (i.e. not contained on box set vinyl) ?

2) On the 2-CD set: is it only my copy, or does the stereo mix of H&V (track 21 on CD1) have a problem? Near the end of the song (03:32), after "I'm alright... By the heroes and...", the last chorus kicks in SUPER FAST and then slows down. It's really noticeable.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:14:47 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: October 29, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »

2) On the 2-CD set: is it only my copy, or does the stereo mix of H&V (track 21 on CD1) have a problem? Near the end of the song (03:32), after "I'm alright... By the heroes and...", the last chorus kicks in SUPER FAST and then slows down. It's really noticeable.

I See what you mean. I hadn't notioced it before, but thats really odd!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:45:33 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: October 29, 2011, 02:35:21 AM »

During lunch today, I strolled down the street to a hole-in-a basement record store-- the last in my small NYS town. I checked around, hoping maybe the greasy, middle-aged Brit who runs the place ....

Just curious - which NYS town is that?

Cortland, NY

Sorry about that ill considered comment, Mr. AGD. I was born a butthole. From a long line of buttholes, in fact. I'll try to keep it in check. Sorry, sir.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: October 29, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »

Few more thoughts:

- I love how the 'new' vocals on Do You Like Worms combined with the other vocals/backing composes a minor chord, while you kind of expect it to be major. The unexpected is awesome.
- CIFOTM, just brilliant.
- Finally a definitive version of Surf's Up - felt a little off first time I heard it with Carl's 'Canvas the town..' line, but on the second listen, it just felt right.
- The vocal montage, I mean, wow, that's just jawdropping, it's like a dream come true.
- It's been a while since I've heard CCW v2 so that was nice hearing again.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8280 on: October 29, 2011, 04:21:51 AM »

During lunch today, I strolled down the street to a hole-in-a basement record store-- the last in my small NYS town. I checked around, hoping maybe the greasy, middle-aged Brit who runs the place ....

Just curious - which NYS town is that?

Apparently one where people think it's OK to trashtalk us Brits.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: October 29, 2011, 04:23:30 AM »

I say we recolonise them, damn yanks  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: October 29, 2011, 04:32:14 AM »

Finally listening to the CD I got yesterday and I'm simply blown away by the audio quality of these new mixes.  I can't wait to get the full box and start building own sequence.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:17 AM »

I am mortified, and ashamed. I apologize to any and all offen
ded by my comment. There is no excuse for interrupting the full enjoyment of this special time. The only reason I mentioned his land of origin is because I was surprised, knowing that the Boys enjoyed such popularity in the UK and knowing of so many fine UK Beach Boys fans from lurking around here. However, by substituting "black guy" for "Brit," I can truly understand the depth of my transgression. Unacceptable. I am sorry, and understand if my posts are no longer welcome. I will shut up now Embarrassed Lips Sealed
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: October 29, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »

The greasy Brit basement record store owner in the UK to whom I swiftly flashed my 2CD set yesterday was completely agog, so he could be a one-off.
Our own Barry Appleby used to run a record shop in London I seem to remember. Whatever happened to him?  Cool
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8285 on: October 29, 2011, 06:24:31 AM »

My interesting observation: On 1967 Surf's Up, Brian sings the line "canvas the town and brush the backdrop" only after the second "columnated ruins domino", but he sings it with the lower melody Carl sings after the first one.

So far I haven't discovered any info regarding the recording dates of HGS, V-T demo and the CCW water chant. Anybody knows those?

One more thing: Alan Boyd writes that some things had to be sourced from bootlegs because the tapes were missing! Cheesy Although that is actually very sad, it makes me laugh.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: October 29, 2011, 06:28:05 AM »

I admit, I'm a masochist!!!   Wall  

Going on vacation next week, won't be able to listen to Smile until Nov 8th!!!   Ahhh!

I hoOh hey guys, I'm being cute and testing the moderators!e soYes yes yes, I don't know how to follow the rules!eone will post info on the vinyl tracks (and the non-box tracks as well)... Wink Thx!

/Bengt
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8287 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:33 AM »

Two more things: Wind Chimes and Dada are VAST improvements over the 93 box set versions, and the Fall Breaks vocals work amazingly well on MOLC.

But the second movement does not flow as well as on BWPS, IMHO. Too bad BWPS had no chance to sound as good as TSS does.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8288 on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »

So far I haven't discovered any info regarding the recording dates of HGS, V-T demo and the CCW water chant. Anybody knows those?

They are in the sessionography included in the Big Box Set edition...credits & recording info for the V-T demo and HGS appear right at the end (in the Additional Bonus Tracks section), but note that we indicate the dates as "possibly" and "probably" respectively, b/c we couldn't say with absolute certainty.  As for the CCW water chant, look about halfway down the credits for Track 15 on CD 4, that's where they are.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:42:38 AM by c-man » Logged
MD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: October 29, 2011, 07:37:14 AM »

YES !!!

I pre-ordered my box set from DeepDiscount.com for $116.99...

Got the email that they shipped it yesterday...Since I got the
FREE shipping it would take 5 - 10 business days till it reached
me...Which was about how long prior shipments took to reach
me from DeepDiscount...Mostly DVDs...

But...Who knew Christmas would arrived early???  Shocked

I walked though the snow to my post office this morning and
guess what I found???

Grin  Grin  Grin
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8290 on: October 29, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »

Glad to read it's being enjoyed so much...Mark and Alan really did themselves proud with the mixing & editing on this one, IMO!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:42:00 AM by c-man » Logged
Jason
« Reply #8291 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:25 AM »

I inform him that...

No Beach Boys = No Good Vibrations = No Progression in Music

While I can understand the need to perform vast fellatio on the Beach Boys and their career in light of the Smile release (not that they don't deserve the praise), to say there was no progression in music prior to them is ignorant in the extreme. Just sayin'. That's basically invalidating the entire classical period, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Bing Crosby, Elvis Presley...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8292 on: October 29, 2011, 09:08:18 AM »

last night at a small alcohol gathering, one of my friends asked me, "So, why didn't Smile come out?"

Now, I was pretty sauced and next thing I know the one girl in the room says, "OH MY GOD SHUT UP YOU'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS FOR A HALF HOUR!" and then I said "Alright, I'll try to wrap it up." and then twenty minutes later she was like "OH MY GOD YOU'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS FOR ALMOST AN HOUR! STOP TALKING ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS!" and then like 15 minutes later I was finally able to finish my really dumbed-down explanation.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8293 on: October 29, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »

haha
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: October 29, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »

Someone has the Solo Surf's Up on YT. Wonder how long until it's pulled (so far up 12 hours).
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8295 on: October 29, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »

My dad says the the EMI rep has told the CD shop that SMiLE has already sold so well that they (they being the people at EMI) don't get any freebies!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:06:57 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: October 29, 2011, 10:16:32 AM »

Just sent it to my friend who had never been too fond of some of the SMiLE stuff. His comments were:

FFP: Did you think there were some songs that could have done with more Lead vocals?

HH: no

FFP: Final thoughts?

HH: Better than Pet Sounds but I prefer Holland

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: October 29, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

Let me get out my colonial uniform and musket.  Grin Actually i think the UK would be a cool place to visit and hope to go there some time.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #8298 on: October 29, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »

That would require your government to quit being the United States government's bitch. Smiley
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: October 29, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »

Let me get out my colonial uniform and musket.  Grin Actually i think the UK would be a cool place to visit and hope to go there some time.

Just never go to Liverpool. I studied there for 4 years - not recommended Wink

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 336 337 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx