gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:21:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 249 250 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737901 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6100 on: September 04, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »

Sooner or later the conversation had to turn into Beatles vs. Beach Boys. Thank god this isn't Hoffman.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: September 04, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »

I have to say I think it's beautiful the way this thread is ambling along amiably, good-naturedly filibustering, going off on smaller tangents within the larger theme, reaching record lengths, and presumably will continue to do so until the release of the long-awaited Holy Grail. It's as if a state of giddy "Dumb Angel" grace has descended upon us long-suffering zealots in the final months of our decades-long vigil. "Wonderful" indeed.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6102 on: September 04, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »

You're right, I was just being a bit grumpy.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: September 04, 2011, 11:56:22 PM »

You're right, I was just being a bit grumpy.

listen to smile

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: September 05, 2011, 12:31:25 AM »

Brian won the production wars.
The Beatles have been most influential in that they're the prototypical rock band. The personality of the members, group dynamic, progression of albums. If anything The Beatles gave the world a way to talk about rock music, and for better or (i think) worse forever solidified the way people conceptualize things like what it means to be in a band.

Brian is the musician's musician though, I think other bands try to emulate the career trajectory and cliches of the Beatles, but when they're actually in the recording studio they try and do what Brian did.

I think you pretty much nailed it as far as The Beatles went.  Billy Crystal of all people had this really great quote about The Beatles and "Yesterday" in that when The Beatles put that record out it was the first time he was able to go to his parents and play them a record that made them admit that rock and roll had aesthetic value because prior to that I think a lot of people really for lack of a better term disrespected rock and roll.

Remember that television show "Karen" that The Beach Boys sang the theme song to?  There are some clips of it on YouTube and in one of the clips Richard Denning and Mary LaRoche make some offhand remarks about The Beatles (specifically John Lennon and Ringo Starr) which given hindsight are extremely hilarious to watch.

I've heard the Billy Crystal story before and, though it's a good point: hadn't the Beach Boys put out "In My Room" "Don't Worry Baby" "The Warmth of The Sun" "We'll Run Away"  "Your Summer Dream" "Lonely Sea" all prior to "Yesterday"'s August 6 1965 release?

I'd say the Beach Boys won the "roll and roll has aesthetic value" competition hands-down!
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6105 on: September 05, 2011, 12:44:17 AM »

The Beatles have been most influential in that they're the prototypical rock band. The personality of the members, group dynamic, progression of albums. If anything The Beatles gave the world a way to talk about rock music, and for better or (i think) worse forever solidified the way people conceptualize things like what it means to be in a band.

Brian is the musician's musician though, I think other bands try to emulate the career trajectory and cliches of the Beatles, but when they're actually in the recording studio they try and do what Brian did.

I think you pretty much nailed it as far as The Beatles went.  Billy Crystal of all people had this really great quote about The Beatles and "Yesterday" in that when The Beatles put that record out it was the first time he was able to go to his parents and play them a record that made them admit that rock and roll had aesthetic value because prior to that I think a lot of people really for lack of a better term disrespected rock and roll.

Remember that television show "Karen" that The Beach Boys sang the theme song to?  There are some clips of it on YouTube and in one of the clips Richard Denning and Mary LaRoche make some offhand remarks about The Beatles (specifically John Lennon and Ringo Starr) which given hindsight are extremely hilarious to watch.

I've heard the Billy Crystal story before and, though it's a good point: hadn't the Beach Boys put out "In My Room" "Don't Worry Baby" "The Warmth of The Sun" "We'll Run Away"  "Your Summer Dream" "Lonely Sea" all prior to "Yesterday"'s August 6 1965 release?

I'd say the Beach Boys won the "roll and roll has aesthetic value" competition hands-down!

Amongst other things, the one thing the Beatles did was finish at the top of their game with Abbey Rd ,which is often regarded as their best release. However the Beach Boys music  in that 64 to 66 period  is IMO unmatched in pop music history.
As Bruce Johnston once famously said,
"When Brian pulled back,the whole magic pulled back....."

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: September 05, 2011, 12:46:01 AM »

That's brilliantly put

Cheers

Richard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55:34 AM »

I've heard the Billy Crystal story before and, though it's a good point: hadn't the Beach Boys put out "In My Room" "Don't Worry Baby" "The Warmth of The Sun" "We'll Run Away"  "Your Summer Dream" "Lonely Sea" all prior to "Yesterday"'s August 6 1965 release?

Amongst other things, the one thing the Beatles did was finish at the top of their game with Abbey Rd ,which is often regarded as their best release. However the Beach Boys music  in that 64 to 66 period  is IMO unmatched in pop music history.
As Bruce Johnston once famously said,
"When Brian pulled back,the whole magic pulled back....."

I would be inclined to agree with Bruce's statement, but it's hard for me to jive too well with the historical context issues because my favorite album is Holland.

I think the individual Beach Boys (and their respective/in unison voices) had as much character and, dare I say, charisma as the Beatles. I  mean, c'mon, DENNIS!! Just look at him!!!!! I think the "Brian and the 5 buttholes" line of "reasoning" has really done irreversible damage to the Joe public perception of what the Beach Boys are when stacked up next to The Beatles.

Thing is: it's a more difficult read than the Beatles. I think the Beach Boys were much more INTERESTING people than the Beatles. And interesting is something that takes some work and some searching to reap all the possible rewards. it doesn't just come leaping across at you the minute you drop the needle on the record the way The Beatles do. BUT, when you do the work, the rewards are all the greater!

The Beach Boys are like the ugly human side of The Beatles.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:57:26 AM by Erik H » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6108 on: September 05, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »

I think if Beach Boys had broken up after Surf's UP their legacy might rival the Beatles. But 40 years of Full House episodes have taken their toll.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: September 05, 2011, 01:33:35 AM »

I think if Beach Boys had broken up after Surf's UP their legacy might rival the Beatles. But 40 years of Full House episodes have taken their toll.

Kokomo didn't help either! Roll Eyes

"The ocean scares me."
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: September 05, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »

Damn catchy tune though Wink
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: September 05, 2011, 01:46:34 AM »

I just realized today that this will probably be the most momentous album I will ever listen to.

I've read books on it, argued and preached its glory, hoarded bootlegs and created my own mixes; and now all the SMiLE related tracks are finally seeing the light of day - properly mixed and sequenced by some incredibly talented people. I'm in anticipation for every single track on this set. I want to hear every track at once! - I'll want to skip ahead to hear 'Holidays', but I'll want to hear 'Look' first too....but every song is too incredible to skip over!

I'm really starting to get excited about this release! Can't wait for more interviews with Mr. Linett, the TV interviews with the Beach Boys (they'd have to do this, right?), the other promotion.

Brian, Dennis, & Carl Beer Drinking Buddies Ahhh! Happy Dance Beer Beer Rock!

+1,000

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #6112 on: September 05, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »

when you do the work, the rewards are all the greater!

That to me sums up the Beach Boys, but mainly in respect to their music. Brian was able to make something incredibly intricate and complex sound simple and effortless. This is very, very difficult to do. Someone else said Brian was a musicians musician. ABSOLUTELY. After untold listenings to Pet Sounds I am still hearing little nuances and parts I have never heard.

Just listen to a Beatles backing track. There is no comparison.

I do think the Beatles got ahead with their lyrics quicker, but this is subjective.

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6113 on: September 05, 2011, 02:05:48 AM »

There are two versions of Barnyard on multitrack in the archive - one instrumental, and one with the baking vocals.  No lead vocals and I don't think it's technically possible to fly in the demo vocals.  So I predict disc 1, baking vocals, disc 2, instrumental.

Have you ever heard of some SMiLE fan mix called Purple Chick  Huh

dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: September 05, 2011, 02:12:02 AM »

Good tune but i always felt Kokomo was a fluke,a bit like Pee Wee Hermen knocking out Mike Tyson.
Gotta give credit where credits due though. Grin

"The ocean scares me."
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6115 on: September 05, 2011, 02:44:08 AM »

SMiLE is timeless and eternal. Sgt.Pepper sounds like a product of 1967 and only 1967 (because it is).

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: September 05, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »

Man I love Sgt Pepper, it's the album that got me into music. If nothing else just listen to that incredibly melodic bass playing.  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6117 on: September 05, 2011, 03:10:32 AM »

For some reason I'm most excited about hearing Barnyard..

What's the smart money on as far as what sort of Barnyard we'll be hearing on Disc 1?  
Vintage lead vocals?
Brian's 'Humble Harv' vocals flown in?
No lead vocal at all?

There are two versions of Barnyard on multitrack in the archive - one instrumental, and one with the baking vocals.  No lead vocals and I don't think it's technically possible to fly in the demo vocals.  So I predict disc 1, baking vocals, disc 2, instrumental.

Depends if the 'demo' is on 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- or 8-track, and how it was miked. Plus, there are widgets that can isolate these things - "WIBN" bridge vocal.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:11:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: September 05, 2011, 03:33:25 AM »

What strikes me abotu Beatles vs Beach Boys, is that the Beatles had thousands of hours of playing in Hamburg before they became The Beatles, they had 3 world class songwriters and they were produced by George Martin.

Whereas with the BBs, Audree made Brian include Dennis, Carl and Dave were 14 when they first recorded, and Brian had to simultaneously fight Murry and produce the band himself, as well as putting out twice as much material in the same time span.

Given all that, it's pretty impressive we are even having Beatles vs BBs discussions.

p.s. Beach Boys win.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: September 05, 2011, 04:51:29 AM »

What strikes me abotu Beatles vs Beach Boys, is that the Beatles had thousands of hours of playing in Hamburg before they became The Beatles, they had 3 world class songwriters and they were produced by George Martin.

Whereas with the BBs, Audree made Brian include Dennis, Carl and Dave were 14 when they first recorded, and Brian had to simultaneously fight Murry and produce the band himself, as well as putting out twice as much material in the same time span.

Given all that, it's pretty impressive we are even having Beatles vs BBs discussions.

p.s. Beach Boys win.

Indeed, I can sympathise completely with Brian quitting live performances with the band.
The responsibility of writing ,recording, along with touring must have been immense.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:53:25 AM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"The ocean scares me."
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6120 on: September 05, 2011, 05:19:16 AM »

For some reason I'm most excited about hearing Barnyard..

What's the smart money on as far as what sort of Barnyard we'll be hearing on Disc 1?  
Vintage lead vocals?
Brian's 'Humble Harv' vocals flown in?
No lead vocal at all?

There are two versions of Barnyard on multitrack in the archive - one instrumental, and one with the baking vocals.  No lead vocals and I don't think it's technically possible to fly in the demo vocals.  So I predict disc 1, baking vocals, disc 2, instrumental.

Depends if the 'demo' is on 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- or 8-track, and how it was miked. Plus, there are widgets that can isolate these things - "WIBN" bridge vocal.

I was always under the impression that the Humble Harv 'demo' was recorded on a portable tape recorder with a cheap mic., not on studio gear at all.  That's why any attempts to use that 'demo' in a fan mix have always sounded terrible.  Perhaps we'll find out in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:35:09 AM by LostArt » Logged
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: September 05, 2011, 06:38:15 AM »

Just saw this on You Tube,Heroes and Villains new mix by Mark Linett 2011,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqsbXRuV90

"The ocean scares me."
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: September 05, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »

I have ordered the 2CD set but I wish I could afford the Box Set! All those additional mixes etc are very tempting! Oh and the surfboard package? I wish I had a spare £6K to spend on that! Would be awesome!  Grin
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »

Good tune but i always felt Kokomo was a fluke,a bit like Pee Wee Hermen knocking out Mike Tyson.
Gotta give credit where credits due though. Grin

Now the ORIGINAL version w/John Phillips is something completely different!
Simply great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CAIGNgEA8

/b
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:04:59 AM by bsten » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: September 05, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »

Lol, we're talking Beatles Vs Beach Boys on a Beach Boys Forum Tongue

BIEST

gfx