gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681550 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 05:42:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 252 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1752247 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6150 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39:15 PM »

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time.  There are periods of my life where I probably went through months at a time listening to nothing but The Beatles.  I can't honestly say that about any other band I've ever listened to.  The Beach Boys have affected me the way no other band ever has.  "Pet Sounds", "SMiLE" a lot of stuff off of "All Summer Long", "Today" and "Summer Days" really just became touchstones in my life.  Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers are probably my favorite bands to listen to.

Yes I'm aware that very little of this if any makes sense but it is what it is.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: September 05, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »

I absolutely love The Beatles. They are in my top five bands of all time with The Beach Boys. I love their sound and I love all of their voices. Lyrically they are probably my favorite group of all time. I love listening to the early albums with friends at a party or in the car, and I love listening to Rubber Soul-onward by myself with a good pair of headphones to hear every little nuance. I think the recent remasters did great things for their music as well, whether your listening to the mono or stereo versions. I really can't think of anything I dislike about The Beatles.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: September 05, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »

I think if Beach Boys had broken up after Surf's UP their legacy might rival the Beatles. But 40 years of Full House episodes have taken their toll.

Kokomo didn't help either! Roll Eyes

Damn catchy tune though Wink

Good tune but i always felt Kokomo was a fluke,a bit like Pee Wee Hermen knocking out Mike Tyson.
Gotta give credit where credits due though. Grin

Now the ORIGINAL version w/John Phillips is something completely different!
Simply great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CAIGNgEA8

/b

I actually think The Boys' version is better. Guess it has to do with being used to that one.

The Beach Boys version is better.  Certainly more commercial, and that is due to Mike's chorus hook, and Carl's vocal.  Did you notice that Phillps' original version of Somewhere Near Japan is on that YouTube page, as well?  That's not as good as the Beach Boys' version, either, but I like it better than Phillips' original Kokomo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRR9Za258Bw&feature=related

Sorry for going off topic.  As you were.

At least we're talking the Beach Boys... Grin
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: September 05, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »

I really can't think of anything I dislike about The Beatles.

Sums up my feelings quite nicely.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: September 05, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »

Listen to this guy's remixes of Beatles songs on his channel... AWESOME

http://www.youtube.com/user/THEmotownboy#p/u/2/L7asZ5nz8as

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: September 05, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »

Good as they are, you can't make perfection any better, only worse.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: September 05, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »

beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I find some songs from Beatles 'Love' to be better than the original album mixes - but this is only my personal preference.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6157 on: September 05, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »

Just saw this on You Tube,Heroes and Villains new mix by Mark Linett 2011,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqsbXRuV90

Hope that isn't the actual mix. It's very dodgy the way the volume suddenly increases at 2.05 - I can almost hear the ghost of Murray shouting 'Surge' in the background...

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6158 on: September 05, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »

Can't we put 'Beatles' under the filter? So that it will become:

Pooples

Bleatles

Clueles

or something?

Why would you want to do that?

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6159 on: September 05, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »

There aren't really too many Beatles songs I like. I used to absolutely hate them and every song they ever did. [...] I just don't get what the big fuss is.

And this coming from the man who doesn't like Wonderful. You're a mystery Mr Fish.

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6160 on: September 05, 2011, 09:36:16 PM »

Good as they are, you can't make perfection any better, only worse.

Oh come on! Where's your sense of fun? This version of Hello Goodbye is SUPERB!

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6161 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »

God, I feel alone... Sad Sad Sad

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »

God, I feel alone... Sad Sad Sad

LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6163 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »

Love the Beatles. Hate the reverence and the smug conformist fans.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

Love the Beatles. Hate the reverence and the smug conformist fans.

I hate how they've boxed themselves in from a marketing strategy even more.  The Beatles could never release a box set like The Beach Boys are going to do on 11/1.  They've boxed themselves in from a commercial standpoint where every release bearing the name "Beatles" has to be some type of musical revelation.  They are as afraid of "disturbing the myth" in 2011 as they were in 1970 when Spector was brought in to apply a layer of gloss on "Let It Be".

The chances Beatles fans will ever see comprehensive or album themed box sets, official release of their Xmas Flexis and Kinfauns demos or anything offbeat or cool is slim to none based on this ridiculous dogma they have about being infallible. 

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6165 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »

There aren't really too many Beatles songs I like. I used to absolutely hate them and every song they ever did.

Unbelievable.  Just................unbelievable. Yet you're an extreme SMiLE fanatic who knows every little snippet ever recorded and what's been booted and what hasn't. I don't get it. Same decade, same genre of music, same label, names that began with BEA, writers who were born two days apart, Rolling Stone's number 1 album of 500 (Sgt. Pepper's), same two bands who admired one another and were influenced by the same legendary rocker(s). By the end of 1966 (when most of SMiLE was recorded) the Beatles had 20 top 10 hits and the Beach Boys had 13. That means that they were in the top 10 at the same time from '63 to '66. But set aside all that for a minute. The melodies and lyrics, the innovative productions, the instrumental tracks (played with instruments mostly by the Beatles themselves) the vocals and harmonies, the powerhouse songwriting team, the influence in hair/dress style; what else ya want? Oh yeah, the FANTASTIC ageless music from a band who continues to sell millions of records and will endure through many generations to come.

But there "aren't too many Beatle songs to like".  I think maybe that's the first time I ever heard of someone say that. Ever.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:26:03 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »

Almost everything the beatles did was golden but i can see why nobody would like the songs that werent written by paul mccartney
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: September 05, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »

People are really uptight about it.
I just don't know what's so great about them.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »

Almost everything the beatles did was golden but i can see why nobody would like the songs that werent written by paul mccartney

Again, unbelievable. Effing unbelievableRoll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:18:52 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: September 05, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »

People are really uptight about it.
I just don't know what's so great about them.

Well Fish I think it's just the fact that most people who have a deep appreciation of music from the sixties generally start out as either Beatles fans or Rolling Stones fans.  Those bands are usually the "gateway drug" so to speak for inoculation into that era of music.  Their music is by far the most popular and the most accessible of any band to the point where if you put fifty people in a room and asked them to name their favorite band you'd probably have more people say "The Beatles" than any other group.   So while it's nothing to get uptight about to quote a relative of mine "It's strange to find someone who either grew up in the sixties or is a fan of sixties music who isn't a Beatlemaniac".  

But again to each his own.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: September 05, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »

Again, unbelievable. Effing unbelievableRoll Eyes

Why? It's taste

I know a lot of people who hate the Beatles or think they are massively over rated

Not everybody likes the beatles lol

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: September 05, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »

Was just listening to a song, "pretty good," i thought, "the beatles aren't that bad." Then i remembered it was the hollies I was listening to. Love that band.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6172 on: September 05, 2011, 10:57:03 PM »

I love the Beatles but I can understand why some aren't drawn to them.  Compared to the BB their music lacks depth, and even from a historical perspective their "story" is pretty dull.

Even if I don't listen to their music much anymore, it's still classic stuff and is instrumental in understanding the development of popular music during the 60's.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: September 05, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »

Hey Shady, when is Smile going to be released? So you think Smile will be released on November 1, 2011? Did you order Smile yet? Where did you order Smile? How much money did you pay for Smile? Did you get a good deal with Amazon for Smile? Can you afford the Smile box set? Did you order all three Smile sets? What's the track list for the Smile sets? What's going to be in the SMiLE sets that we haven't heard before? Was Smile the best music the Beach Boys ever recorded? What's your favorite Smile track? Which version of Heroes & Villians do you like? Stereo or mono Smile recordings, Shady?

ROTFLMAO!

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: September 05, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »

There aren't really too many Beatles songs I like. I used to absolutely hate them and every song they ever did.

Unbelievable.  Just................unbelievable. Yet you're an extreme SMiLE fanatic who knows every little snippet ever bootlegged and what's been released and what hasn't. I don't get it. Same decade, same genre of music, same label, names that began with BEA, writers who were born two days apart, Rolling Stone's number 1 album of 500 (Sgt. Pepper's), same two bands who admired one another and were influenced by the same legendary rocker(s). By the end of 1966 (when most of SMiLE was recorded) the Beatles had 20 top 10 hits and the Beach Boys had 13. That means that they were in the top 10 at the same time from '63 to '66. But set aside all that for a minute. The melodies and lyrics, the innovative productions, the instrumental tracks (played with instruments mostly by the Beatles themselves) the vocals and harmonies, the powerhouse songwriting team, the influence in hair/dress style; what else ya want? Oh yeah, the FANTASTIC ageless music from a band who continues to sell millions of records and will endure through many generations to come.

But there "aren't too many Beatle songs to like".  I think maybe that's the first time I ever heard of someone say that. Ever.

If this is not the result and prime example of the cultural conditioning of Beatles aggrandizement and idolatry, then i don't know what is. Shocking bit of news: there are people who don't care for them. Some of these people who don't care for them even love the Beach Boys. And, are you ready for this?...There are people who love the Beach Boys who, not only don't care for the Beetlez, they neither care for the whole of 60s pop rock. GASP.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 252 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx