gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:30:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 363 364 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1735403 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: November 02, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »

Just ordered a copy of the 2cd set for my dad 3D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8951 on: November 02, 2011, 03:38:20 PM »

What an excellent son you are.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: November 02, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »

Get the box set yesterday after 8 hours of  work, severely hung-over from a Halloween party the night before...Due to the snowstorm on the East Coast my girlfriend and I still didn't have power since Saturday...By the time we get back it is 8pm...with no heat and candles burning to provide light I put on the 1st disc on a battery operated radio- I never heard music sound so good as through those two tiny speakers with SMiLE in mono, flickering candles, and about 14 layers of clothing under the sheets to keep warm. It was an experience I will never forget....

Since I only got about 3 hours sleep the night before I started to doze off right around the time GV's came on....then I awoke to hear a little of the backing vox montage...then dozed off only to re-awake to the Surf's Up 67... You know when you are half awake and half asleep and you kind of feel like you are dreaming? What a blessing to have heard that hauntingly beautiful music, echoes of a bygone time, rediscovered nostalgia and purity, in such a state of mind and being. Well that was me, and having this Box set, this clarity, and SU67 is nothing short of a dream made reality, experienced as such last night. When the song finished I turned it off and blew out the candle...Pschedelic sounds could wait. Nothing could top SU67. I am still hypnotized.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: November 02, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »

Hey look everybody, this guy's got a girlfriend!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: November 02, 2011, 03:46:31 PM »

Haven't recieved it yet...this sucker is still freezing in Hamilton. ON, Canada! Amazon says it's due to arrive on wednesday. Won't be able to pick it up till next thursday.

I'm planning on turning the lights off a bit, lighting up a huge spliff and waiting for the epiphany to come.
spliff+smile= out of body heavenly experience. Brian's Trip
I just CANT WAIT TOO LONG!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #8955 on: November 02, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »

http://www.starpulse.com/news/Kris_King/2011/11/01/interview_brian_wilson_on_the_release_?page=1

New? interview un-edited.Some little bits to digest!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: November 02, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »

Wonderful (Version 1) is just amazing, like heaven

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #8957 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »

Interviewer might not be a Love You fan. Love Brian's response to "why that album?" Great interview, either way.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: November 02, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »

The drums on "Look (CD 3)" are worth the price of the box set alone

BTW, Don't have my box set yet, DHL dude left it with my neighbour this morning while I was in college and she hasn't come home since, hope she's not dead  Shocked
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:19:11 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: November 02, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »

Interviewer might not be a Love You fan. Love Brian's response to "why that album?" Great interview, either way.
Yeah I thought so! Brian is very natural lately!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »

Well, Pacific Ocean Blue, I read once that you said that you loved it and I also read that you had never heard it.

BW: Well, I was lying when I said that I loved it because I have never heard his album. I never heard it.

LOL

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »

Well, Pacific Ocean Blue, I read once that you said that you loved it and I also read that you had never heard it.

BW: Well, I was lying when I said that I loved it because I have never heard his album. I never heard it.

LOL

WTF. Someone please tell me he has heard that album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: November 02, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »

I find it hard to believe that he didn't hear it. He's had 34 years and at least 3 releases of it over that span. I think he was putting the guy on.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: November 02, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »

BTW, Don't have my box set yet, DHL dude left it with my neighbour this morning while I was in college and she hasn't come home since, hope she's not dead  Shocked

Jesus. I can't believe they gave it to a neighbor - in America the neighbor would probably deny getting it and sell it on ebay or something.
_____

My package is somewhere on the roads of eastern America....I think. Amazon stopped giving me updates on the shipment....I'm probably killing their server checking for updates every 5 minutes Cheesy. Gah. Twill probably be here tomorrow anyway.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: November 02, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »

BTW, Don't have my box set yet, DHL dude left it with my neighbour this morning while I was in college and she hasn't come home since, hope she's not dead  Shocked

Nope not dead, just vanished into a piano or something.  Seriously though she probably found a way to enter her house, stealth like and is right now listening to your box set.  Fat chance getting it back. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think Shady needs to go on a little recon mission... Ninja
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:47:57 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: November 02, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »

Somebody needs to take a copy of Pacific Ocean Blue and put it in Brian's hand and tell him to listen to it in his car.  LOL
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: November 02, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »

^this.

An interviewer really needs to show up with a copy of POB and a portable stereo. Play the first two minutes of that album, and see Brian's reaction to his brother's music and voice.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: November 02, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »

Then again I wonder if there might be a reason that Brian hasn't spent much (or any) time with POB.  Reading the liner notes to the new box set as well as other contemporary interviews with Brian it's pretty clear that he still mourns the loss of Audrey, Carl and Dennis.  Perhaps he doesn't care to revisit recordings of his brothers that he is unfamiliar with as he still is very emotional over their losses.  Remember in the linear notes to HAWTHORNE it was mentioned that someone played a Dennis Wilson demo to Brian (I think it was "A Time To Live In Dreams") and Brian got emotional after listening to that track which he also hadn't heard up until that point.

I'm sure that Brian knows where to find POB (and almost any other Dennis Wilson recording he could possibly want to hear) and would have access to these types of things quite easily should he choose to pursue them.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: November 02, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

Indeed. I can see that being the case.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: November 02, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »

BTW, Don't have my box set yet, DHL dude left it with my neighbour this morning while I was in college and she hasn't come home since, hope she's not dead  Shocked

Nope not dead, just vanished into a piano or something.  Seriously though she probably found a way to enter her house, stealth like and is right now listening to your box set.  Fat chance getting it back. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think Shady needs to go on a little recon mission... Ninja

I'll be dressed in black clothes with a ski mask if the box hasn't left her house by noon  Tip Toe

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8970 on: November 02, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »

"The item(s) listed below shipped today."

Woohoo!

"Estimated Arrival date: 11/11/11 - 11/16/11"

Boohoo!

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: November 02, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »

You know with all this talk about it follows the order of BWPS. If you really think about it , it's not all that similar. Aside from missing lyrics, there's a lot of differences

1. Our Prayer - same
2. Gee - same
3. Heroes and Villains - Has a different ending
4. Do You Like Worms? - Second verse is different
5. I'm In Great Shape - Is later on in BWPS and of course starts different
6. Barnyard - Doesn't start with drums
7. My Only Sunshine - has barnshine fade
8. Cabin Essence - Same although fades at the end
9. Wonderful - Same (although I don's think the yodel vocals are in the BWPS version)
10. Look - contains a section not in BWPS
11. Child is Father... - almost completely different
12. Surf's Up - Pretty much the same although it uses a slightly different tag
13. Friday Night - Workshop goes on longer
14. Vega-Tables - Completely different
15. Holiday's - Same
16. Wind Chimes - Piano part is longer
17. Fire - Same (I  think)
18. Love to Say Dada - Has different background vocals
19. Good Vibrations - Uses Mike's lyrics

so 15 of the 19 songs have either slight are major differences add to that not all the songs flow together like in BWPS. Believe me this is not a bad thing. If this came out trying to be an exact replica of BWPS than the response wouldn't be as warm.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: November 02, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »

Ain't it wonderful?

The thing that has been blowing my mind was my phone's decision to shuffle the Three Blind Mice session to the Vegetables fade. The advancement in his skills in his arrangement from those two tracks, using similar ensembles..... I don't know.  This box is incredible. I love it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: November 02, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »

Great, thank you for posting this link.  Like always, lots of Brianisms.  My favorite, although it's hard to explain or understand even why, but this struck me as laugh out loud hilarious.  

----------

SP: Over the years, what was the biggest obstacle in getting these recordings released?
BW: *pause* Biggest obstacle?
SP: Yeah.
BW: There was no obstacle.
SP: Well, then why did it take so long?
BW: You mean to release it?
BW: Well, because we didn’t think anyone was ready for it.
SP: Okay, well why now then?
BW: Because it’s the right time.

-------------------------------

Funny stuff.  The guy tried to go too formal with the interview, and hell people even warned him ahead of time, apparently.  Brian just doesn't like answering questions.  He hadn't really done his homework either, he got Brian to talk about Love You but didn't get him to sing anyting???!!!!?Huh I would have had Brian Wilson, ON TAPE, singing Mona if I would have doing that interview. 

I still think the approach to a Brian interview should be to just have a conversation with him, not necessarily ask questions but just get him to shoot the sh*t a little bit.  Throw the script out the window.  Instead of asking him about his new album that everybody else is asking him about, do something like this guy did and talk about Dennis' album.  Brian wouldn't really talk about it, but in the few little lines they traded back and forth about that, you really kind of got a more interesting view of Brian.  He's really never heard Pacific Ocean Blue?  I thought the interviewer did a good job on that part of it, at least he did take the interview (or tried to!) some place it doesn't usually go. 

As a big fan, this is fascinating to see questions like that and answers like that with Brian.  really makes you think what's going on inside that man's head. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:43:18 PM by Ron » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »

Great, thank you for posting this link.  Like always, lots of Brianisms.  My favorite, although it's hard to explain or understand even why, but this struck me as laugh out loud hilarious. 

----------

SP: Over the years, what was the biggest obstacle in getting these recordings released?

BW: *pause* Biggest obstacle?

BW: There was no obstacle.

SP: Well, then why did it take so long?

BW: You mean to release it?

BW: Well, because we didn’t think anyone was ready for it.

SP: Okay, well why now then?

BW: Because it’s the right time.

You got to love him.   Grin

Although to be fair I was watching "American Band" today and realized that Mike Love essentially says the same thing that "The SMiLE album was creating an uncomfortable situation.  It just didn't seem proper at the time" so it's not as if this is a new found dogma that Brian is repeating to the press.  It's something that has been in The Beach Boys' vernacular for decades.  Honestly anything at this point is better than the "It's inappropriate music" explanation that was basically the pat Beach Boys reply throughout the seventies and eighties.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 363 364 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx