gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 06:10:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 350 351 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 359 360 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1751109 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8850 on: November 01, 2011, 04:27:59 PM »

It was a new driver, who just doesn't know the neighborhood. The UPS lady was pretty nice, and said she would make sure I could pick it up tonight. It wasn't amazon's fault, but they still refunded my shipping charge without my even asking. It's not so bad, as long as I can still pick it up today.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
John B
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »

Wow, I'm not even kidding, within 10 minutes of my post here
On smiley I just received a job offer that is far
Better than my previous job!  This album is magical in more ways than one, just now starting my second listening, & I can assure you that the tears will come out this time!  This is one of the greatest days of my life, thank you for those who left the nice comments as well.  

Enjoy this great day of great music everyone!

A very heartfelt congratulations to you! I'm in a similar boat. Getting laid off from work (a job I've been in for 11 years) in a couple of weeks, and money is extremely tight right now. I've been waiting/wishing/hoping/praying for a release of SMiLE for about 30 years, so today is a somewhat bittersweet day (but the sweet SO much outweighs the bitter) as I simply can't afford the box set, but was able to turn in some of my old CDs and pick up the 2CD set.

I'm listening to the 2Cd set now and am in heaven. Hopefully soon I'll also find a good job, and your story gives me faith. And yes, somewhere down the road there's a 5 Cd box with my name on it out there. Best wishes to you, and SMiLE! 
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8852 on: November 01, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

My box FINALLY showed up at around 6:00 pm just as I finished having a heartbroken conversation with my wife about how it hadn't arrived yet.  I ran out the front door to greet the UPS man.  This is thing is stunning!!  Everyone involved absolutely did this right.  I'm listening as I type this, so I don't have a ton to say just yet, but this set is absolutely worth every penny I paid for it.  I took the day off work, which ended up being a waste, but I can't imagine being much happier at this moment.  

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: November 01, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

After hearing the Bag of Tricks sessions...no wonder why Van left  LOL

Boy the beginning of that was CREEPY.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: November 01, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »

did anyone order the 2CD set with the T-shirt from Merch Direct?

wondering what the shirt actually looks like.

I ordered the 2 disc set w/ the shirt. I haven't received it yet; it just shipped out today Angry

I assume the shirt is going to look the same as it does in the picture:

at the bottom of the page it reads: *Not Final Art - Changes may be made in the final steps of production.

let us know what the finished product looks like... the surfboard came out a little different than the original graphic.

thanks!
Dim Chandelier
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: November 01, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »

frig frig frig! ARGH! GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I waited all friging day for the ups to come, the package status said "out for delivery" since this morning. Then after hours of waiting, I saw the ups truck drive past my house!!!!!!!!!! I even got in my car and tried to follow it, but I lost him. When I got back home the tracking had updated to "Exception: Incorrect Address". I double checked my amazon order, it had the right address, my house is right on the corner, and has a big red address post. It wasn't even dark out. The dude just missed my friging house, and didn't even bother to check what was up.
So I call in to amazon, and they transfer me to ups, and they transfer me to my local distribution center, which is like 45 minutes away. The lady said I can come and pick up the package tonight, in about 2 hours, once the truck gets back. I have to wait for her to call me, and then drive out there. I am absolutely crossing my fingers that I can pull this off, It's not so bad driving out there, but I am really anxious. If I can't get it today I will be so heartbroken.

GUYS. I am so upset right now.
I feel for ya.
After hours of reading "Out for Delivery" I got the "Exception" too.
Mine, it turns out, never made it on to the truck after all. Unfortunately, my UPS depot is 60 miles away, so I have to wait for tomorrow.
Since Friday, I've been refreshing the "open orders" page on Amazon waiting for "not yet shipped" to turn into "shipping soon," which it finally did last night at 8:45. Then I tracked it on UPS all the way to my door, and then...
"Exception".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: November 01, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »

Have my eyes glued to my phone.

jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: November 01, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

the Box is such high quality that when I pulled it out of the shipping carton I thought they sent me the lightbox by mistake Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: November 01, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »

Anyone going to the Brian signing tonight?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: November 01, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »

Got my box set today, grabbed a six pack, turned off all the lights (which served a dual purpose, 1--successfully deterring the trick or treaters, and 2--setting the mood for SMiLE), put on my headphones and listened to disc 1 in its entirety.  I must say, even with the fly-ins and missing vocals on a few tracks, I believe this is THE definitive SMiLE.  I've argued on this board and in other places that BWPS was the finished SMiLE, but I am presently rethinking that idea.  I mean, BWPS is great and all that, but THIS is the real deal.  The sequencing and editing just flows, and the clarity of these mixes is almost beyond description.  I am not a big fan of mono, but the mix on this is so balanced, I didn't even give any thought to the lack of stereo separation.  I feel like for the first time ever, I really "get" SMiLE (and I've been listening to the boots and various mixes for years).

Btw, I didn't drink the whole 6-pack, just two beers--one for each "side".  

It will be a glass of Merlot for me.  I'm one of the effete elite!   LOL

Merlot here too - I'm gonna start listening in around an hour or so.  Just got to set the DVR to store some stuff for me tonight which I probably won't get to watching for a few days  LOL

Obvious question time: Why are some of the Holmes drawings in the booklet making reference to BWPS lyrics?  Holmes dated these drawings as being created in 1996 (probably for the scrapped 1996 SMiLE box).  Why then are there allusions to "Milky Way" "Ukelele Lei Day" etc?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: November 01, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »

Gave a listen up until disc 4. I will certainly write a detailed analysis much later but for right now my initial reaction is thus:

1. The sound is amazing!! The track I was most looking forward to was "Child" and it blew me away. To me that was always the key song for SMiLE!

2. The compiled album was good, of course but by now everyone has their own version of an ideal SMiLE in their head and it came close, real close. I would not have used the demo vocals on "Shape" and "Barnyard".

3. All the studio banter, I love it! These guys were hilarious!

4. I want more (I know that is so overly gluttonous of me, but it is the truth).
a. Where are "Sunshine", "Wonderful" and "Wind Chimes" lead vocals in the stereo sessions sections?
b. "Dada" and "Child" vocal sessions?
c. Where are the other "With Me Tonight"s?
(again, I know that is asking way (WAY) too much when a lot has already been given)

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Jason
« Reply #8861 on: November 01, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »

Well, finally have the box. I am completely stunned at the consistency and quality of the box set, minor quips aside like the Barnyard thing (it isn't THAT big of a deal). I mean, yeah, sure, we could complain about certain bits or mixes not being there but otherwise, I can't find much of anything wrong with the box or its contents. A labor of love in all respects. Granted, I went in knowing that the box wasn't going to just invalidate the bootlegs, but it works as a compliment, much like how the official Pet Sounds box was complimented by the SOT volumes.

Something that might have been a good idea but probably was not feasible due to the limit on the length of the box set...separating the "master takes" from the session tracks, kind of like how the Pet Sounds box kept the backing tracks separate from the session excerpts. A very minor issue and of course, with the right software, it can be easily remedied.

Ladies and gentlemen, Smile is here!
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: November 01, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »

Even my Beagle is stunned...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:23:51 PM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: November 01, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »

So far we've had a baby, a doll and a dog all staring in awe at SMiLE  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #8864 on: November 01, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »

So far we've had a baby, a doll and a dog all staring in awe at SMiLE  LOL

They've gone mad. You'd better call the cops.
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8865 on: November 01, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »

I'm impressed! Gave a listen to discs 1 and 2 of the box and haven't had any real complaints so far. Conversely, there are a few real great surprises; Dada and Surf's Up on disc 1 were very well-done, probably the best Dada I've heard. Really dug the H&V 'verse remake' which I don't think I had heard before today. Amazed at what I always thought were scatting vocals on 'barbershop' are them saying 'boys and girls' which might show my lack of attention, or possibly just that I had really poor quality recordings of that section prior. The fly-ins all sound great, except possibly the 'whispering wind' section which feels a little odd, but I don't mind Great Shape or Barnyard, and I actually really like the added vocals to Dada. Taking a break now but I'll get through at least one more disc tonight.
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: November 01, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »

Got to love UPS. Finally got mine but only after UPS delivered to the wrong address a block away. Called UPS and they told me I would have to file a complaint with amazon, but eventually got UPS to try and call the driver. While they were doing that I went a block from my house to a house that had the same number as mine but different street and there, on their front porch, was the set.  Two hours later UPS called back and informed me they did nothing wrong, driver insisted he delivered to the right address even though it was a completely different street name.

Off to listening finally.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »

Stay strong, Fishmonk  Grin

Guys, this day is wonderful. Although I'm not going to have an evening proper to listen to the box in full til thursday, I've managed it in fits and starts. It's so good!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: November 01, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »

GOT IT

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »

Just Listened.

HIGHLIGHTS:
CIFOTM sounds fantastic
Surf's Up (second verse specifically!)
Vegatables is SOOOO much better then I expected
Surf's Up 1967, I listened to it fully first today, and the "colomnated ruins domino" line actually literary sent chills down my spine.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: November 01, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »

GOT IT

Congratulations - Lets all give Fish the "I'm In Great Shape" Badge of Approval for going above and beyond the call of duty to obtain his little slice of heaven.

Take a bow Fish  Smokin (groovy like Maureen McCormick in a tricked out Camaro circa 1974)

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: November 01, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »

It was worth it, I got dinner with my shipping refund. Now I'm just burning everything to my computer. Enjoying the book. I love the airport picture

thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: November 01, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »

Finally. Just got off of work and am sitting down now to give my 2CD set a listen. As far as I can tell so far, this is a very classy release from Capitol. They showed a certain degree of respect and reverence for this material and it pays off. Now more than ever I am proud to call myself a die-hard Beach Boys fan.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: November 01, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »

I can't stop listening to disc one..I'm on my third spin..so many surprises and such clean sound Tongue
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: November 01, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 359 360 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx