gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:13:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 [358] 359 360 361 362 363 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728551 times)
DontHateTheLove
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8925 on: November 02, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »

Wow, I'm not even kidding, within 10 minutes of my post here
On smiley I just received a job offer that is far
Better than my previous job!  This album is magical in more ways than one, just now starting my second listening, & I can assure you that the tears will come out this time!  This is one of the greatest days of my life, thank you for those who left the nice comments as well.  

Enjoy this great day of great music everyone!

A very heartfelt congratulations to you! I'm in a similar boat. Getting laid off from work (a job I've been in for 11 years) in a couple of weeks, and money is extremely tight right now. I've been waiting/wishing/hoping/praying for a release of SMiLE for about 30 years, so today is a somewhat bittersweet day (but the sweet SO much outweighs the bitter) as I simply can't afford the box set, but was able to turn in some of my old CDs and pick up the 2CD set.

I'm listening to the 2Cd set now and am in heaven. Hopefully soon I'll also find a good job, and your story gives me faith. And yes, somewhere down the road there's a 5 Cd box with my name on it out there. Best wishes to you, and SMiLE! 

Well, good luck to you in the future on the job hunt (and being able to get the box ASAP).  Finally getting that call with a job offer was amazing while listening to SMiLE, & if you keep on hunting something will come along soon enough.  While I haven't been waiting nearly as long as you for SMiLE, and certainly not as long as most around here, I will be dying the next few weeks waiting until I can purchase the box.  The 2CD is fantastic though as you mentioned.  I've already listened to the first disc 3 times over since yesterday afternoon.  
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: November 02, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »

Just got an email saying the box set has shipped -- hooray!

As for the 2-CD small box, I got concerned about losing the little button/badge that came with it, so now my Brian doll is wearing it.  Grin

Wonder what Brian would do if he saw his doll? Grin

Well he signed 75 of them, so I suppose he would feel the impulse to sign a 76th.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8927 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »

Obvious question time: Why are some of the Holmes drawings in the booklet making reference to BWPS lyrics?  Holmes dated these drawings as being created in 1996 (probably for the scrapped 1996 SMiLE box).  Why then are there allusions to "Milky Way" "Ukelele Lei Day" etc?

Or VDP had seen the pictures prior to BWPS and took some inspiration from them.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »

As for the 2-CD small box, I got concerned about losing the little button/badge that came with it, so now my Brian doll is wearing it.  Grin

Well he signed 75 of them, so I suppose he would feel the impulse to sign a 76th.
Gotcha, just got an image of bathrobe-era Brian freaking out at the sight of his doll in my head. Wonder what Brian would do with a phil spector doll? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8929 on: November 02, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »

Wonder what Brian would do with a phil spector doll? LOL

He'd take it to bed each night and cuddle it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: November 02, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »

I really expected to be underwhelmed. I'd been looking forward to this for so long and already heard so much of the material from bootlegs that I was seriously wondering how much fresh enjoyment I could get out of this release. Was I spending $100+ as payment for music that I'd already enjoyed? Was I just getting this because I'd

Opening the shipping package and coming face to face with the beauty that is this box set was the first indication that I hadn't wasted my money.

Flipping through the book while I ripped the CDs into iTunes (lossless), I was feeling very relieved; even starting to understand what's so great about deluxe box sets (this was my first one).

Then it came time to play the music. I smoked some pot with my fiancee and put it on. It was a revelation.

First of all, the clarity of the new mixes opens up parts of the music I've never heard. It's beautiful. Listening to it socially, where I normally listen to the material alone, solidified just how FUN the music is. Brian goes in so many different directions. One moment my heart's soaring, the next I'm laughing out loud. It just really works ... which is all the more amazing when you realize how far it was from being finished. As fantastic as the instrumentals are, the tracks with vocals are just dizzying with their awesomeness, and it's tragic that he wasn't able to put those voices on all the tracks. It's even more clear on the vocals montage that his work with the boys voices was going to be just as cutting edge as every other element of the project.

And then the sessions ... I'm not done listening yet, but I can say that the fidelity leaves the bootlegs in the dust in my book.

In general, I feel like I've been squinting my way through SMiLE for years, and I can finally have my eyes wide open. I feel really lucky to be able to hear this and thankful to everyone who made it happen. And despite my expectations going in, I think it's fair to say that I'm now much closer to overwhelmed.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: November 02, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »

You have a "Brian Wilson doll"?

Hmm  Wink

Don't you?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »

He would have junked the Disney album for 45 years.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

so cool... here's the record shop in Long Beach where Brian signed autographs yesterday. not my photos, I got them off facebook.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »

It's AN ACTUAL SMILE SHOP!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: November 02, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »

That is friggin' amazing. There should be one in every town of the world.

ps....thanks for sharing the pics! Wish I coulda been there Undecided
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:40:06 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: November 02, 2011, 11:37:11 AM »

You have a "Brian Wilson doll"?

Hmm  Wink

Don't you?

Nah man I have a Marcella doll.   LOL

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: November 02, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »

I like how the address of the Long Beach record store is 420...THAT'S funny!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:07:38 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Smiling Pets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: November 02, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »

so cool... here's the record shop in Long Beach where Brian signed autographs yesterday. not my photos, I got them off facebook.

This is absolutely incredible, I was going to try and go. Now I really regret not going.
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: November 02, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »

You know, I can do without most of the Psychodelic Sounds tracks, but I have to admit there's one line in the Hal Blaine bit that cracks me up, however unintentional.

"Yer gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
"Don't say puss."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8940 on: November 02, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »

Very cool, Bossaroo!  Issat your woman or did she work at the store? And were the "Help Me Rhonda" and "I Get Around" picture sleeves thrown in as bonus prizes when you bought the box?  Grin

I got my box last week at a brick and mortar store too. I asked them if they had any promo stuff - unfortunately no dice. I'll keep trying. Is that a 4' x 4' Smile poster I see in the background? I'd like to get my mitts on that! Very cool store front display! The banner and the whole deal!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:36:17 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: November 02, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

those aren't my pics... i live in N. Carolina. got em off facebook.

that huge SMiLE poster is gorgeous as are the storefront blow-ups.

you can see Brian and Jeff in the background of the second pic
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: November 02, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »

This has probably been mentioned already but has anyone noticed that the elusive "Jazz" (or a portion of it anyway) is actually on this new boxset!

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: November 02, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »

Well, actually, I have two Brian Wilson dolls, but then again I'm female as well as a collector! Got a bunch of those BB model cars too.

Cool

P.S. Love that Smile Shop decor package at Fingerprints --beautiful! They really did that one up right.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:00:51 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8944 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »

This has probably been mentioned already but has anyone noticed that the elusive "Jazz" (or a portion of it anyway) is actually on this new boxset!

Be hard not to notice.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »

That Long Beach pic is so awesome!! Finally my box arrived from Amazon.de. Couldn't stand all the waiting, though the box is more a present for my brother who can't afford it. Later I went to see if some stores would sell Smile. One didn't, they wouldn't even have anything by the Beatles and just a Beach Boys Greatest Hits. The other had at least the LP set, CD Version and even one box set but not the 2 Disc box I was looking for. It would have been so cool purchasing a new Beach Boys release in a store. Still a little bit surprised seeing the box set at the Media Markt store since I am from Austria. BTW Both didn't store the Disney record.

So thanks for all contributing to this set especially Mr Boyd and Mr Linett and for those who never get much or any credit in the background of such releases and a great thank you also for the board members with your informative and often very funny posts. You made the wait less painful.

BTW *SPOILER*

Me and my brother cracked up listening to "Brian Falls Into A Piano" and when he says "B-flat" his voice sounds more like today.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »

Haven't recieved it yet...this sucker is still freezing in Hamilton. ON, Canada! Amazon says it's due to arrive on wednesday. Won't be able to pick it up till next thursday.

I'm planning on turning the lights off a bit, lighting up a huge spliff and waiting for the epiphany to come.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: November 02, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »

f*** all the people downloading for free and not buying the box set  Cry

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: November 02, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »

Haven't recieved it yet...this sucker is still freezing in Hamilton. ON, Canada! Amazon says it's due to arrive on wednesday. Won't be able to pick it up till next thursday.

I'm planning on turning the lights off a bit, lighting up a huge spliff and waiting for the epiphany to come.
spliff+smile= out of body heavenly experience. Brian's Trip

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: November 02, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »

Be hard not to notice.  Wink

Yeah there was also "another clue for you all" that it was going to be part of this boxset if you happened to freeze frame the printed list of material that Linett and Boyd had in that "Introduction To Smile Sessions" video from last week.  It was listed right on there as Jazz-Friday Night or something like that.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 [358] 359 360 361 362 363 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx