gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 08:35:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1747218 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »

It's a simple layer underneath a blanket of sounds, but it was these simple colors added to the mix that gives Brian's 1960's productions, especially SMiLE the punch that say BWPS lacks...

Hence I used Genius with a capitol G.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: March 26, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »

I believe it's "to the church of the American Indian".
Yes. Jeff and Brian sing it on live versions (and the Beach Boys did so as well). I must admit, although I'm very familiar with that line, I can't say from memory where one could hear it studio-wise

It sounds like it's only , "To the church of" in an ascending melody line from what I've heard, but it's not clear to me. One of those small strokes of color that Brian would use to create the depth in his masterpiece recordings of the 1960's...

c*ck an ear to the 1973 live album.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:19 AM »

I dreamed I was in the supermarket last night, and a version of Look started playing over the radio, but it was the original track with another band's vocals over the top. They sounded a bit like the Association or The Turtles and were singing to the melody of Song For Children. It started with this crisp drum intro similar to to the break in It's About Time. It really was breathtaking and I remember thinking "Wow, Smile must be out and this is one of the 'finds' they uncovered". Let's hope nothing derails this release and that we get a release date soon, and maybe some track info!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:33:45 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2011, 01:21:20 AM »

Let's hope nothing derails this release and that we get a release date soon, and maybe some track info!

I hear ya.  It's been just two weeks since the Billboard story broke, and I'm already jonesing for new information.  One of the (many) things I keep wondering about is whether the 2-disc set and the box will be released simultaneously.  Capitol's press release talks about a release date (singular), but we really don't know.  I think it'd actually be kind of fun if the double-CD were released first kind of as a sampler to whet our appetites for the box.  Plus, it'd be really cool to walk into Borders or Best Buy and see the Smile Shop on the shelf and buy several copies. 

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I fear that the 4-CD/2-LP Smile box is going to be such an expensive specialty item that it will have to be ordered by mail.  I still remember walking, cash in hand, into Tower Records on the release date in 1997 and seeing a stack of 8 or 10 Pet Sounds boxes and buying one.   And, frankly, mail order just isn't quite as fun.  But Tower and other music retailers that you could count on to have multiple copies of something like this ON RELEASE DAY are, of course, now long gone.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2011, 01:53:17 AM »

Let's hope nothing derails this release and that we get a release date soon, and maybe some track info!
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I fear that the 4-CD/2-LP Smile box is going to be such an expensive specialty item that it will have to be ordered by mail.  I still remember walking, cash in hand, into Tower Records on the release date in 1997 and seeing a stack of 8 or 10 Pet Sounds boxes and buying one.   And, frankly, mail order just isn't quite as fun.  But Tower and other music retailers that you could count on to have multiple copies of something like this ON RELEASE DAY are, of course, now long gone.
I know exactly what you mean. I remember seeing The Doors's box set back in 1997. They had an opened copy, and since everybody there knew me, they let me check it out.  Grin I remember the excitment of seeing it for the first time. Ordering through the mail sucks. lol It's cool when you finally get something, but the search is part of the fun.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2011, 03:05:14 AM »

Really? I'd be lost without eBay and Amazon these days. Long gone are the days of hunting through carboot sales, musty old second hand shops, being fleeced at bootleg conventions or asking retailers if they could order an item through a speclist supplier. I guess I, like everyone else, have become spoiled really. True, nothing beats that feeling you get with finding a rare film, book or album in some dusty store, but more often than not I'd spend a 50 mile round trip to the nearest city only to find there was nothing worth buying. Now the whole world's become one big secondhand store!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2011, 04:13:54 AM »

Really? I'd be lost without eBay and Amazon these days. Long gone are the days of hunting through carboot sales, musty old second hand shops, being fleeced at bootleg conventions or asking retailers if they could order an item through a speclist supplier. I guess I, like everyone else, have become spoiled really. True, nothing beats that feeling you get with finding a rare film, book or album in some dusty store, but more often than not I'd spend a 50 mile round trip to the nearest city only to find there was nothing worth buying. Now the whole world's become one big secondhand store!

It can have its drawbacks, however - once found a book I'd been looking for for over 30 years at an Amish farmer's market in SE Pennysylvania, and my joyful yell of "got you, you sonofabitch !" didn't go down too well.  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2011, 04:24:55 AM »

It can have its drawbacks, however - once found a book I'd been looking for for over 30 years at an Amish farmer's market in SE Pennysylvania, and my joyful yell of "got you, you sonofabitch !" didn't go down too well.  Grin

It's just not very British, is it?

Still, the main prob with Amazon etc is that it's virtually killed the high street store -  not just the chains with names, but the wee independents too.

Record Store Day goes only as little way to helping such stores -  when a band like the Beach Boys release a SMiLE taster double 10" 78rpm in a limited edition of 500 copies, it doesn't really help that much -  it means some of their regular customers queue only to be disappointed, and are then even more disappointed to see them going for stupid money the following day on eBay.

Long as we buy on line, there'll be fewer and fewer of those "nothing beats that feeling you get with finding a rare film, book or album in some dusty store" moments, cos the stores won't be there.

Sorry, getting sidetracked...  what was the book, Andrew?  Seed Drill User's Instruction Manual, by Mr J. Tull?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2011, 04:37:10 AM »

It can have its drawbacks, however - once found a book I'd been looking for for over 30 years at an Amish farmer's market in SE Pennysylvania, and my joyful yell of "got you, you sonofabitch !" didn't go down too well.  Grin

It's just not very British, is it?

Still, the main prob with Amazon etc is that it's virtually killed the high street store -  not just the chains with names, but the wee independents too.

Record Store Day goes only as little way to helping such stores -  when a band like the Beach Boys release a SMiLE taster double 10" 78rpm in a limited edition of 500 copies, it doesn't really help that much -  it means some of their regular customers queue only to be disappointed, and are then even more disappointed to see them going for stupid money the following day on eBay.

Long as we buy on line, there'll be fewer and fewer of those "nothing beats that feeling you get with finding a rare film, book or album in some dusty store" moments, cos the stores won't be there.

Sorry, getting sidetracked...  what was the book, Andrew?  Seed Drill User's Instruction Manual, by Mr J. Tull?

No, Day of Infamy by Walter Lord - this was in pre-internet days, of course: now it would take me maybe 30 seconds.  Smiley

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »

galo an ear to the 1973 live album.  Smiley

...still haven't galo'ed a coy of that one yet- I'm holding out as long as I can.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 27, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »

I had a dream last night that I was in a record store and SMiLE was being released. Only you had to pick a number to get in line at the record store and I didn't get a number and thus couldn't get the boxset. Then I woke up. I'm thinking of seeing a dream interpreter about this one Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 27, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »

I had a dream last night that I was in a record store and SMiLE was being released. Only you had to pick a number to get in line at the record store and I didn't get a number and thus couldn't get the boxset. Then I woke up. I'm thinking of seeing a dream interpreter about this one Wink

You must have been at the DMV!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »

If your like me or most of us here, there is such an anticipation for this set that if there was any kind of hang-up we'd all be upset and prone to go crazy like Gary Busey...maybe thats what the dream means.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »

Was it Root's in Manheim, PA? Shupp's Grove or another outdoor market in Adamstown? Leesport Farmers Market? Jake's Flea Market? Zern's? Green Dragon? Or none of the above?

They're some of my haunts during the warm-weather months. One of my simple pleasures in life is walking around looking at tables of antiques and stuff in general. I'm surprised to hear someone from across the Atlantic making the trip to these places! Very cool.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »

You must have been at the DMV!

If your like me or most of us here, there is such an anticipation for this set that if there was any kind of hang-up we'd all be upset and prone to go crazy like Gary Busey...maybe thats what the dream means.

LOL both of those made me laugh! I think some of us SMiLE fanatics are as crazy as Gary Busey getting stuck in a DMV!

noname, have you watched any of the 'I'm With Busey' television show? Absolutely hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qBCI6JP7rM&feature=related

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 27, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

No I haven't...I can't check it out now, but in a day or wo...thanx for the link...here's a thought? What do you suppose Gary's favorite BB album/song is?
Love You/Drip Drop?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 27, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »

He probably digs Love You with a passion.

I'd say he would love Adult/Child LOL - I can seriously see him listening to 'life is for the living' while speeding down the highway in his convertible

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 27, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »

Room for this SMiLE promo? Brian, Hal and Mikes name mentioned but who else is here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgyHzSe6F5g

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:57 AM »

Room for this SMiLE promo? Brian, Hal and Mikes name mentioned but who else is here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgyHzSe6F5g

What was that - it's been removed already?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 28, 2011, 06:52:16 AM »

Just listening to John Martyn's Solid Air album and wondering if there'll be any exclusive bonus material on the iTunes release of TSS?

I ask because, sure, we're all used to the odd bonus track being dangled in this way to lure us into buying the digital download version of something we've already got a tangible copy of.

Solid Air, however, when released as a 2CD Deluxe edition a couple o' years back, actually had a full CD's-worth of bonus material at the iStore.

Just a fawt...

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »

Just listening to John Martyn's Solid Air album and wondering if there'll be any exclusive bonus material on the iTunes release of TSS?

I ask because, sure, we're all used to the odd bonus track being dangled in this way to lure us into buying the digital download version of something we've already got a tangible copy of.

Solid Air, however, when released as a 2CD Deluxe edition a couple o' years back, actually had a full CD's-worth of bonus material at the iStore.

Just a fawt...

I would sincerely hope not: having forked out $XXX for something I really cannot afford right now, I'd be less than thrilled about that.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »

From a press release on Brian receiving the Chairman's Award at NARM:

"The SMiLE Sessions’ global release date, complete track lists, and artwork will be unveiled soon."
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_03-28-11.html

Yay! Grin

Obvi we knew this was going to happen. Just nice to see it in writing.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »

From a press release on Brian receiving the Chairman's Award at NARM:

"The SMiLE Sessions’ global release date, complete track lists, and artwork will be unveiled soon."
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_03-28-11.html

Yay! Grin

Obvi we knew this was going to happen. Just nice to see it in writing.
SOON, in BBs terms, can mean anything from this week to NEXT year

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »

Off topic for another minute to Mr. Doe - I'm really curious, at what PA antiques market did you find that book?  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »

SOON, in BBs terms, can mean anything from this week to NEXT year

Or several years, as is the case with BeachBoysCentral...  wouldn't the 50th Anniversary be a wonderful time for that wonderful idea to finally launch? 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx