gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:44:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1745444 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2700 on: July 30, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »

True...but no one thought there would be a box set anyway, so... here's to getting a piano w/ TSS!!  Drinking Buddies
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »

Eh, i'm fine without the piano, but I better be getting that mystery bag of vegetables!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: July 30, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »

Let me have your address, so I can send some freeze-dried, in case they forget to include them with your copy

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: July 30, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »

What's the odss it comes with sand, piano, Arabian tent, exercise mats, mystery bag of vegetables, and Afghan hash?

Each set will come with a "Smile mystery bag" with a prize! Either: bottle of sand, freeze dried veggies, 1"x1" cutting of the Arabian tent, used reddi-whip cans, and even a banana petrified "suprise"!

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: July 30, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »

What's the odss it comes with sand, piano, Arabian tent, exercise mats, mystery bag of vegetables, and Afghan hash?

and even a banana petrified "suprise"!

Straight from the Living Room sandbox? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2705 on: July 30, 2011, 02:04:51 PM »

Don't forget an inflatable Mike Love "Play Guy" with real hair, and Banana and Louis nodding-dogs.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: July 30, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »

No, it's gonna come with downers/"reds", a red reading light, a TV that only plays static, and a collection of creepy looking dolls.

SMiLE... or else!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2707 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »

I'm most curious to know what the price of the box set will be and just how limited the release will be.  Will the fans that aren't loaded be able to afford this piece of history we've been waiting for for so long?  My biggest concern is that no store in my area, which isn't a small town by any means, will have the box due to it being limited in number.  I hope that isn't an issue and I hope that my bank account can take the hit.  I've already begun putting back money for it!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: July 30, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »

Bank Of America is starting a special loan division just for this release

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: July 30, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »

Bank Of America is starting a special loan division just for this release

Yes, and their commercial will feature H&V session excerpts including Carl's famous "Somebody bring Mike a bag of money."

As far as I know, no one has speculated on how limited "limited" will be.  Ten thousand copies?  More? Less?

I find it somewhat hard to believe that Capitol will let some of this material (two whole CDs' worth?) quickly go out of print.  I wonder if a non-limited CD-only box set might not follow eventually.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: July 30, 2011, 11:55:05 PM »

Nirvana's "Nevermind" 20th anniversary super mega ultra deluxe edition is limited to 10,000 copies. I don't even think that version has LPs, just CDs.

So I'm guessing the deluxe LP SMiLE SeSSiONS will probably have somewhere in that ballpark.

Between legal & illegal downloading, there's a surprisingly small market for this kind of stuff.

There will be enough copies for all of us here, and that's all that matters.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »

Nirvana's "Nevermind" 20th anniversary super mega ultra deluxe edition is limited to 10,000 copies. I don't even think that version has LPs, just CDs.

If were lucky it will be limited to 10,000..

We alll need to get on that amazon pre order fast

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: July 31, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »

If it is limited to just 10,000 I hope juggler's idea of a CD-only version becomes a reality. There's no need for two extra discs of SMiLE awesomeness to be limited to 10,000 people.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: July 31, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »

From an interview with Brian Wilson that appeared today in Lexgo:

Question: "I've read that Capitol Records is finally going to release The Beach Boys' much fabled Smile album this year."

Answer: "Maybe."

Link to full article: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/07/31/1829919/brian-wilson-is-a-man-of-few-words.html
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: July 31, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »

Question: "I've read that Capitol Records is finally going to release The Beach Boys' much fabled Smile album this year."

Link to full article: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/07/31/1829919/brian-wilson-is-a-man-of-few-words.html

Undecided

rogerlancelot
« Reply #2715 on: July 31, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »

Huh
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 31, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »

Yep any day now.....

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 31, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »

I shall be released

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 31, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »

Things are looking bleak, there I said it

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 31, 2011, 01:25:01 PM »

Nope. Things are just being kept under wraps. Let's not forget the two new mixes from the mojo single. Capitol promised us that this boxset would come out sometime this year...I think it will.

Besides, Brian hates most interviews and probably doesn't care what he says during these things. I wouldnt put too much stock into what he said regarding this release.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 31, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »

Ah yes, the box set so secret we aren't even allowed to know if its even coming out.
Seriously I don't understand what the big freaking deal is that they can't just come out and say something about this. It would be nice to just hear something. Sure they don't have to tell us anything, that's one way to look at it, the age old marketing strategy of "f*** them, they'll buy whatever we tell them to". But instead of having an atmosphere of excitement and anticipation it's really just become an atmosphere of annoyance and frustration more than anything else. If this is a release that's "for the fans" it would be nice if they stopped messing around already, seriously.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 31, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »

Nope. Things are just being kept under wraps. Let's not forget the two new mixes from the mojo single. Capitol promised us that this boxset would come out sometime this year...I think it will.

Besides, Brian hates most interviews and probably doesn't care what he says during these things. I wouldnt put too much stock into what he said regarding this release.

Yeah, what shocked me was he's gone from responding optimistically to smile questions to just a "maybe"

I believe in the slated October release date, I'm just not certain that things will be wrapped up by then

Ah yes, the box set so secret we aren't even allowed to know if its even coming out.
Seriously I don't understand what the big freaking deal is that they can't just come out and say something about this. It would be nice to just hear something. Sure they don't have to tell us anything, that's one way to look at it, the age old marketing strategy of "f*ck them, they'll buy whatever we tell them to". But instead of having an atmosphere of excitement and anticipation it's really just become an atmosphere of annoyance and frustration more than anything else. If this is a release that's "for the fans" it would be nice if they stopped messing around already, seriously.

I would guess nothing's been said because nothing is set in stone, they won't announce a release date in case of any push backs.

Something tells me this whole thing is going to be very late minute  

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: July 31, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »

Seriously I don't understand what the big freaking deal is that they can't just come out and say something about this. It would be nice to just hear something. Sure they don't have to tell us anything, that's one way to look at it, the age old marketing strategy of "f*ck them, they'll buy whatever we tell them to". But instead of having an atmosphere of excitement and anticipation it's really just become an atmosphere of annoyance and frustration more than anything else. If this is a release that's "for the fans" it would be nice if they stopped messing around already, seriously.

Messing around? There's still two or three months before the release. If they come out with a tracklist at this point we'll just be sitting around bitching about how we want to hear the mixes already for the next two to three months. *granted I would love another Mark Linett interview at some point.

mojo singles, Record Day Heroes and Villains single (with barnyard lyrics etched on them), and probably more publicity i'm forgetting. Capitol probably doesn't have the time, patience, energy to treat us with an official factoid every week.

Just a few weeks ago I was fairly pissed that no news has been coming our way, but then someone here said, paraphrasing, in October we'll all be laughing about how antsy we were in July over information. Seems silly to worry about it because either way there's nothing we can do about.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:24:07 PM by rab2591 » Logged

seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 31, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »

Just a few weeks ago I was fairly pissed that no news has been coming our way, but then someone here said, paraphrasing, in October we'll all be laughing about how antsy we were in July over information. Seems silly to worry about it because either way there's nothing we can do about.

Heh -- that was me:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10016.msg194580.html#msg194580

But in that same post I also predicted an early-July announcement of the release date and track list, so what the hell do I know??  Embarrassed

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 31, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »

Heh -- that was me:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10016.msg194580.html#msg194580

But in that same post I also predicted an early-July announcement of the release date and track list, so what the hell do I know??  Embarrassed

Grin Yes, but you were still right about keeping a cool head about it.

We're all getting wound up about a lack of info - and there is a lack of info, but AGD has assured us that this thing is coming out. Capitol has assured us it's coming out this year. Mike Love has assured us it's coming out. Al has assured us. Brian has even been wiggin' out over what he has heard (and again I really wouldn't put much stock into Brian's "maybe" statement).

Things take time and patience, and apparently there is a great deal of effort being taken to make sure us fans are happy when we get the boxset.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx