gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 10:48:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1753577 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »

To paraphrase Sir Thumbsaloft, you can't reheat a well-known dessert, although many have tried.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:01 AM »

I'm liking the analogies!

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: July 29, 2011, 12:18:02 PM »

Am I the only one who feels the whole Beach Boys reunion thing is a bad idea?

Nope - I am dreading it

Nothing good can come of it.  At best, it would be one more opportunity to cement the group's reputation as a lightweight act that plays beach music.  One more chance for Bruce to tell people that "the only 4-letter words [they] use are 'girl' and 'surf'."  That kind of stuff is not just cringe-worthy, it's puke-worthy.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: July 29, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »

Glad I'm not the only one then - I'm totally with you guys. Re-recorded versions of old Beach Boys classics with a bunch of 60+ old guys with deteriorated voices (at least Brian and Mike) singing, or even new mediocre surf/car songs. No thanks!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »

Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I think that with the release of The SMiLE Sessions, the guys understand that their best chance at appealing to ANYONE in terms of selling new records is the more mature audience who really like well made music. Yes, we will probably get a few songs like "Getcha Back" or whatever, but I also have a feeling that they will take their age into consideration and try to make an appropriate album. Honestly if we got an album full of stuff like "The Like in I Love You", "Cool Head, Warm Heart", and "Don't Fight the Sea" I'd feel pretty good about the album. These guys still have talent in my opinion, and if they do it the right way, we might just get something cool.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 29, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »

Nope - I am dreading it

Nothing good can come of it.  At best, it would be one more opportunity to cement the group's reputation as a lightweight act that plays beach music.  One more chance for Bruce to tell people that "the only 4-letter words [they] use are 'girl' and 'surf'."  That kind of stuff is not just cringe-worthy, it's puke-worthy.
If you haven't realized it by now, their reputation over the last 35 years has been soley based on their 60's output. Nothing that they released since has affected that reputation, as most people know nothing about it. TSS will have more of an affect on their reputation than a new album. If the new album is bad, it will be blamed on age. If it's good, everyone will be amazed because they are old. Being old gives them a free pass either way. Don't sweat it!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 29, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »

Shameless bump, sorry folks no new news.

BUT! We are pushing August, should be a an eventful month  Afro

I'd have to say, anyone expecting an August release of anything bar a press release is going to be hugely disappointed

I'm expecting artwork and pre-orders to start..

If it is coming October they really should get the ball rolling a month or two before hand

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 29, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »

Shameless bump, sorry folks no new news.

BUT! We are pushing August, should be a an eventful month  Afro

I'd have to say, anyone expecting an August release of anything bar a press release is going to be hugely disappointed

I'm expecting artwork and pre-orders to start..

If it is coming October they really should get the ball rolling a month or two before hand

You would think that this is just about ready to go, I mean didn't Brian just say he heard the final version? This has to be on the verge of completion, and I would like to think the packaging is either about done or not lagging far behind. I'd like to think this little update indicates that a September release is possible. I'd like to think that a tracklisting could be released given that it seems it has been finalized. I'd like to think that any day now we'll hear something. But I won't think these things, I'm sure at this time next month we'll be repeating this exact same conversation. How boring.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: July 29, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »

Nope - I am dreading it

If you haven't realized it by now, their reputation over the last 35 years has been soley based on their 60's output. Nothing that they released since has affected that reputation, as most people know nothing about it. TSS will have more of an affect on their reputation than a new album. If the new album is bad, it will be blamed on age. If it's good, everyone will be amazed because they are old. Being old gives them a free pass either way. Don't sweat it!

Agreed. Their reputation was set in stone long ago and is virtually number none without a bulletproof imo.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: July 29, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

But wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that a woman on twitter remarked about how she was working on some photos for SMiLE? It may take some time for that stuff to get looked over and given the thumbs up...then on to the printer, then to packaging. CDs need to be burned, vinyls pressed, amounts designated, books printed.

August seems rushed to me, October seems like the most likely time. But i'm hoping for September!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: July 29, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »

But wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that a woman on twitter remarked about how she was working on some photos for SMiLE? It may take some time for that stuff to get looked over and given the thumbs up...then on to the printer, then to packaging. CDs need to be burned, vinyls pressed, amounts designated, books printed.

August seems rushed to me, October seems like the most likely time. But i'm hoping for September!

It'll be released October hopefully but we gotta hear some info at least in August

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: July 29, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »

I'm sure at this time next month we'll be repeating this exact same conversation.

God, I hope not.

How boring.

You said it, not me! 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: July 29, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »

It'll be released October hopefully but we gotta hear some info at least in August

I, like you, am hoping for pre-orders to start very soon. Hell, Pink Floyd pre-orders started weeks ago for their DSOTM boxset which comes out late september.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: July 29, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »

But wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that a woman on twitter remarked about how she was working on some photos for SMiLE?

Yes, the woman was Guy Webster's daughter. 

I'm not expecting a release any sooner than October 4, but I am hoping for artwork, tracklist(s) and a press release before the end of August.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »

Nope - I am dreading it

Nothing good can come of it.  At best, it would be one more opportunity to cement the group's reputation as a lightweight act that plays beach music.  One more chance for Bruce to tell people that "the only 4-letter words [they] use are 'girl' and 'surf'."  That kind of stuff is not just cringe-worthy, it's puke-worthy.

It's not like their late 60's-70's output is somehow still obscure to people my age! The Beach Boys are very present influencing modern groups, and I have chatted to many people about Holland or Friends. These are not obscure records for the under 25s, at least in my neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:08:18 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: July 29, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »

I, like you, am hoping for pre-orders to start very soon. Hell, Pink Floyd pre-orders started weeks ago for their DSOTM boxset which comes out late september.

A couple of sources in the know say October 4 th will be the release date.
I'm also hoping that's  the release date here in Australia  not weeks later.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:14:22 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2691 on: July 29, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »

I confirm it will be release October 4th, for my Birthday. Thank you Capitol for this WONDERFUL present, I couldn't have expected much better!

A couple of sources in the know say October 4 th will be the release date.
I'm also hoping that's  the release date here in Australia  not weeks later.

I confirm it will be release October 4th, for my Birthday. Thank you Capitol for this WONDERFUL present, I couldn't have expected much better!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: July 29, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »

Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I think that with the release of The SMiLE Sessions, the guys understand that their best chance at appealing to ANYONE in terms of selling new records is the more mature audience who really like well made music. Yes, we will probably get a few songs like "Getcha Back" or whatever, but I also have a feeling that they will take their age into consideration and try to make an appropriate album. Honestly if we got an album full of stuff like "The Like in I Love You", "Cool Head, Warm Heart", and "Don't Fight the Sea" I'd feel pretty good about the album. These guys still have talent in my opinion, and if they do it the right way, we might just get something cool.

I'll take 'Getcha Back' over 'Don't Fight the Sea' any day. Actually over 'The Like in I Love You' too, but that's purely due to the latter's vocal performance.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: July 29, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »

After 'Seconds' did Brian Wilson really not see a movie in the theater until ET?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: July 29, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »

I just found some Nostradamus predictions that had not been found til now. It says that

"A Smile on the west shores wilt be post poned for many a years. A living Smile wilt precede the real Smile which will finally be seen on Dec 22, 2012. Unfortunately, it will be to late. For a frown hath come up on the earth only one day prior."

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2695 on: July 29, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »

You would think that this is just about ready to go, I mean didn't Brian just say he heard the final version? .

Nope: his actual - OK, reported - words were “I just listened to the reissue of the ‘Smile’ tapes a couple nights ago...". Nothing about length, nothing about state of completion, nothing about content. He mentioned listening to four or five hours worth several weeks ago, which some folk also took as an indication that the project was ready to roll.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: July 30, 2011, 12:00:19 AM »

Nope - I am dreading it

Nothing good can come of it.  At best, it would be one more opportunity to cement the group's reputation as a lightweight act that plays beach music.  One more chance for Bruce to tell people that "the only 4-letter words [they] use are 'girl' and 'surf'."  That kind of stuff is not just cringe-worthy, it's puke-worthy.

It's not like their late 60's-70's output is somehow still obscure to people my age! The Beach Boys are very present influencing modern groups, and I have chatted to many people about Holland or Friends. These are not obscure records for the under 25s, at least in my neck of the woods.

23 and I know nobody my age.  Grin But pretty much everybody I know has the worst taste in music ever.

No mas, por favor.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: July 30, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »

The package is going to be first rate....something we all can enjoy for a long time.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »

What's the odss it comes with sand, piano, Arabian tent, exercise mats, mystery bag of vegetables, and Afghan hash?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »

Not good odds for the piano

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx