gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681048 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 10:50:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 116031 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »

And gosh darn, what's with all the added reverb on some of the songs? It's a bit extreme, so "wet", like Brian Wilson was secretly a dub reggae artist this whole time.

My feelings exactly.

The new Meant For You is my absolute favorite of everything here. It's just a shame they didn't include more stuff like this.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »

And gosh darn, what's with all the added reverb on some of the songs? It's a bit extreme, so "wet", like Brian Wilson was secretly a dub reggae artist this whole time.

My feelings exactly.

The new Meant For You is my absolute favorite of everything here. It's just a shame they didn't include more stuff like this.

Maybe someday a Smiley Smile/Friends/Wild Honey box set!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »

My feelings exactly.

Speaking of which, there's still plenty of known Wild Honey and Friends outtakes which could still see the light of day. Maybe there were some leftovers from Smiley too? Ofc a SS/WH/Friends box is unthinkable, but there certainly is more jewlery to be found in the vaults from those years.

Would especially like to hear what the original songs for WH sound like.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2031217

Great overview of the box and some great insights into the band by Howie.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »

My feelings exactly.

Speaking of which, there's still plenty of known Wild Honey and Friends outtakes which could still see the light of day. Maybe there were some leftovers from Smiley too? Ofc a SS/WH/Friends box is unthinkable, but there certainly is more jewlery to be found in the vaults from those years.

Would especially like to hear what the original songs for WH sound like.

It's annoying also because the one new WH stereo track released on this compilation is Country Air, even though it's the one track for which an official stereo mix has already been circulating.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:00:20 PM by Dr. John Becker » Logged

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »

I'd like to hear speculation on why instrumental for "Transcendental Meditation" was included on the box. It's not a particularly amazing arrangement in any way and is quite repetitive without vocals. Was this just Brian wanting something random thrown on the box? Did one of the producers fall in bizarre love with it?

Now "Why" is a kickass instrumental. With more time spent on it could've been a Pet Sounds style track. You listen to this and "Where Is She?" and you realize what a tease Brian was being. It's a shame for us music lovers that he couldn't get past whatever personal issues were holding him back and create all the great music he had stirring up within himself.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2013, 01:01:37 PM »

The click is the sound of the NR kicking in.
If you're listening on good speakers you should be able to hear it.

Thank you, but which second is it?
1:01-1:02

The bigger problem is that the "Grand Coulee Dam" vocals are present in the second chorus on the 2011 mono. No idea how this even happened, but they still seem to be there on MIC if Spotify is using the right source for the track.

Could be wrong that they used the exact same mix with this error, we'll see. I was actually thinking they included the mono over the 20/20 stereo on the box to ensure a corrected mono mix was out there.

I'm told that they used actual Brian 1966 test mixes for the TSS version. So the "Grand Coulee Dam" vocals are in Brian's mix. For me it's not a problem, I only hear it when I listen very, very closely. I even think it's nice that the two chorusses aren't exactly the same.

I don't even think this is possible for a number of reasons. It really muddles the sound and there's really no way Brian could have just tossed the "Grand Coulee Dam" vocals into it. They may have used a 1966 Brian test mix for the chorus, but it's basically not possible unless Brian went out of his way to partially mix down the tag vocals and insert them into the chorus perfectly.

Furthermore, take the first chorus, place it perfectly in line with the 2nd and invert it and bam - the track and backing vocals are only slightly there with the "Truck drivin' man" vocals and the "Grand Couleee Dam" vocals much more apparent. This basically proves that they used Brian's test edit for both chorii but put the "Truck drivin' man" vocals and the "Grand Couleee Dam" vocals over it. The former is obviously intentional, but the latter? I really doubt it.

Again, really muddles the sound and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed on its third release or why a mix with errors was chosen over the '68 stereo mix. Just me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »

My favorite tracks on MiC

-Country Air (Stereo Mix)
-Meant For You (Alt. Mix)
-Sail Plane Song (Stereo Mix)
-WIBNTLA
-California Feelin' (Both versions)
-Soul Searchin'
-You're Still A Mystery
-Friends / Little Bird (Live 1968)
-Help Me Rhonda (Live 1972)
-Guess I'm Dumb (Instrumental)
-Sherry She Needs Me
-This Whole World (A Cappella)
-Where Is She
-Why
-Barnyard Blues
-Our Sweet Love (Vocals and Strings)
-My Love Lives On
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:13:47 PM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »

I'm absolutely loving "Why". Does anybody know when it was recorded?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:48:50 PM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »

M.I.U sessions
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »

M.I.U sessions
Another missed opportunity for the band. It had great potential to be an album highlight and even a classic.

The chord progression is out of this world!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:02:22 PM by TheDumbAngel » Logged
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »

The A Capella Slip On Through is blowing my mind. SO GOOD!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

'Why' is interesting. I remember reading one of the band members (Carli?) talking about hearing some great music Brian was coming up with at the time but refusing to allow its release; I also remember some people on here claiming this was an early instance of people boosting Brian's rep by claiming this sort of thing with no evidence to back it up and that by that time BW was spent. Well...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »

Second Disc review:

http://theseconddisc.com/2013/08/27/review-the-beach-boys-made-in-california/#more-22110

“We live in divisive times.”
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »

Do we know if "Why" was intended as an instrumental or if Brian had written lyrics?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »

Speaking of "Summer In Paradise" (the song), while I'm not a fan of that album, I'm glad to see its existence acknowledged here in the form of what I've heard is a much more tasteful live version (I haven't heard it yet). It's part of your past, you don't have to stand by it but acting like it doesn't exist is lame

EXACTLY!  Well said, and... there are 2 or 3 reasonably nice songs on SIP.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

Thanks for that. A good read. Smiley
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »

Can anybody who already has the physical box confirm whether the liner notes state that the "I Believe in Miracles" vocal section of "Can't Wait Too Long"/"Been Way Too Long" was really recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions, as has been rumored on this board. Or were they recorded during the Wild Honey and/or 20/20 sessions, as with the rest of "Can't Wait Too Long"/"Been Way Too Long"?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »

Do we know if "Why" was intended as an instrumental or if Brian had written lyrics?

No way it's an instrumental. Way too repetitive. It's clearly meant to be a backing track for something.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »

No way it's an instrumental. Way too repetitive. It's clearly meant to be a backing track for something.

But what wirestone?...but what?....

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »

MIC and TSS are really the only major archival releases I've experienced since I became a fan, and I've noticed that I don't always prefer the official versions to the lower quality bootlegs I'm used to listening to. I can't bring myself to delete my booted stereo Country Air for example because I like the little noise at the beginning of it, and this got my wondering, are there any old fogeys here who kept listening to something like Leggo My Ego even after stereo Pet Sounds was released? Just curious.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2031217

Great overview of the box and some great insights into the band by Howie.

Thanks ORR.  Howie Rocks!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »

Can anybody who already has the physical box confirm whether the liner notes state that the "I Believe in Miracles" vocal section of "Can't Wait Too Long"/"Been Way Too Long" was really recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions, as has been rumored on this board. Or were they recorded during the Wild Honey and/or 20/20 sessions, as with the rest of "Can't Wait Too Long"/"Been Way Too Long"?

It says 'in 1967 during sessions for Smiley Smile'.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »

Just listened to the 1963 "Back Home". And man, it is jarring to hear such a young Brian on that track. It's like a completely different song when it isn't sung by a gruff yodeling man in his thirties.

(I admit, I do miss the "YAY-EE-AY-EE-AHY")

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »

Thanks for the info, hypehat
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx