gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:18:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 55055 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2014, 06:25:14 AM »

It was sure nice of Mike to let BW contribute to Good Vibrations:

It's the song he's most proud of, their "most unique, and successful, and creative,"  "Good Vibrations." Love came up with the "I'm pickin' up good vibrations ..." chorus, melody and lyrics. Brian Wilson did arrangements and production, Carl Wilson sang lead.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2014, 06:33:19 AM »

It's the song he's most proud of, their "most unique, and successful, and creative,"  "Good Vibrations." Love came up with the "I'm pickin' up good vibrations ..." chorus, melody and lyrics. Brian Wilson did arrangements and production, Carl Wilson sang lead.

Wink

I saw Dick Cheney on TV this morning, too, so this morning has been consistent.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:35:52 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »

"I don't know. I still can't get that darn chorus right. Son of a gun!" Brian said, exasperated.

Mike crawled out from under a table.

"Cello triplets," Mike whispered in Carl's ear.

And then Mike ducked back under the table.

"CELLO TRIPLETS!" Carl shouted mechanically, as if he was a robot.

"That's a great idea, Carl. Cello triplets. How'd you come up with that?" Brian asked.

"I don't know. This is gonna sound really weird, but it's like Mike whispered that in my ear," Carl explained.

"Y'know, the very same thing has been happening to me. Except I'll wake up and I'll swear Mike is standing over me. It's really strange. In fact, it was Mike's voice that taught me the chords to 'Good Vibrations', if you'll believe that!" Brian mused.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Brian opened the door.

It was Mike.

"Hey, Brian. Got a really good idea for that acidy song of yours. What if, during the chorus, I went 'I'm pickin' up good vibrations' and stuff over and over. Wait. Just listen, man: I'm pickin' up good vibrations, she's givin' me excitations!"

"That's kinda groovy, Mike," Brian responded.

"But what do you think about the melody? Da-dadada-da-da-da-duh," Mike intoned.

"It sounds almost exactly like the bass melody," Carl offered.

Mike furrowed his eyebrows.

"No, it's way different."

"Gee, Mike..."

"No. Just shut up, Carl. I don't hear it. Did you guys smoke some dope or something? I mean, God."

"OK Mike, well, let's just try it and see what it sounds like," Brian suggested.

"Alright, Brian. Alright. Pretty soon it'll be like I wrote the whole song for you. Geeze!"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:13:04 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2014, 07:19:11 AM »

I'm just glad he's finally going to address those rumors about meeting some Beatles in India.

"Truth and reality are good things." - The Lovester

"We're obsessed with recreating the songs as close to the record as possible,"

Presumably this is why he doesn't like touring with too many musicians with goofy sh*t like French horns and such.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:23:17 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »

It's the song he's most proud of, their "most unique, and successful, and creative,"  "Good Vibrations." Love came up with the "I'm pickin' up good vibrations ..." chorus, melody and lyrics. Brian Wilson did arrangements and production, Carl Wilson sang lead.
I'm waiting for the chapter entitled "I Wrote The Hits". That will without a doubt be the bulk of this book that will finally set the world straight on how talented he is. It may take second place however to the "They Couldn't Have Done It Without Me" chapter which will blow the lid off the industry. Think about it-it's his last chance before he croaks to re-write history unless he gets a TV movie deal. LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »

Stop hating on Mike. He's a smart guy. He knows about "cumulous nimbus" clouds and the word "apropos".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »

Good point.

Since they mention Manson in this piece, I'm curious if he'll ever elaborate on the claim he made in the Howard Stern interview about Manson's people "machine-gunning a black guy" or something like that. It was a very bizarre comment and I've never heard it associated with Manson before. Could just be Mike Love trying to sound coooool and edgy I guess.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »

"I don't know. I still can't get that darn chorus right. Son of a gun!" Brian said, exasperated.

Mike crawled out from under a table.

"Cello triplets," Mike whispered in Carl's ear.

And then Mike ducked back under the table.

"CELLO TRIPLETS!" Carl shouted mechanically, as if he was a robot.

"That's a great idea, Carl. Cello triplets. How'd you come up with that?" Brian asked.

"I don't know. This is gonna sound really weird, but it's like Mike whispered that in my ear," Carl explained.

That had me laughing out loud! There really should be a fan fiction thread for this sort of thing. It would be great to come home from work and be able to read a thread of this kind of stuff.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »

Stop hating on Mike. He's a smart guy. He knows about "cumulous nimbus" clouds and the word "apropos".
I'll buy into the second part of that post! Grin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »

I'm waiting for the chapter entitled "I Wrote The Hits". That will without a doubt be the bulk of this book that will finally set the world straight on how talented he is. It may take second place however to the "They Couldn't Have Done It Without Me" chapter which will blow the lid off the industry. Think about it-it's his last chance before he croaks to re-write history unless he gets a TV movie deal. LOL
Oh my God! Are you going to have a field day when this book gets published or what? You're gonna think you died and went to heaven. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »

I for one am so looking forward to it! His interviews are such a treat, the idea of a few hundred pages of unfettered Love being unleashed is going to be delightful!

I just hope he does an audiobook reading. I know there is barely a market for the book as it is, but c'mon Mike. Get audible.com on the horn.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »

If there is an audiobook, I want William Shatner doing the reading. If Shatner is unavailable, then get Christopher Walken.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »

Looking forward to the stories about hanging out with Marlon Brando    Shocked
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »

I like how those unexpected hanging out with celebrities stories are all concerning dead people who wouldn't be able to contradict him. Unless they are all stories about Otis Williams, I guess.

Shatner/Love? Epic. Epic. He'd sound real good reciting Pisces Brothers too.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2014, 09:14:33 AM »

I like how those unexpected hanging out with celebrities stories are all concerning dead people who wouldn't be able to contradict him. Unless they are all stories about Otis Williams, I guess.

I don't think Mike has any control over how long someone lives or when they will die.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »

It's a shame! It would've been fun to hear George Harrison's reaction to Pisces Brothers. Or Marlon Brando mumbling "Mike who?"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:18:31 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 11, 2014, 09:23:01 AM »

I don't think Mike has any control over how long someone lives or when they will die.

At least I hope so! Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 11, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »

He may not decide who lives and who dies, but I'm told if he's especially angry, he can shoot "force lightning" from his fingertips. Just ask Al Jardine.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2014, 09:31:16 AM »

At least I hope so! Shocked

If so, poor OSD and SB could be in some serious trouble then. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »

Hmm, you may be right. Hopefully he'll just torture me a little and then let me go as an example to others... I could mumble incoherently about "First Love" and sing the praises of Viggie.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »

Hmm, you may be right. Hopefully he'll just torture me a little and then let me go as an example to others... I could mumble incoherently about "First Love" and sing the praises of Viggie.
LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »

I would buy the audiobook specifically to hear William Shatner recite the story of how Mike wrote the lyrics to Good Vibrations while driving his Jaguar convertible to the studio. Complete with the usual Shatner overemphasis of random words, dramatic pauses, and explosions of emotion.

"It was a balmy day in Los Angeles, I shifted into 2nd gear as I turned onto La Cienega coming from Segundo, the sun was glistening brightly off the newly-polished chrome trim on my XKE. The air smelled sweet as if it had been perfumed that day. As I drove along, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a girl walking with a flower in her hair and a bright, flowing paisley dress, and carrying a certain confidence mixed with the most pure sense of joie de vivre. She gave a soft smile to no one in particluar, she must be a KIND person, I thought. No, more than that, this girl KNOWS what's up, man, she's in the GROOVE! I had been struggling with the lyrics for our new single, how do I make this relatable to all of the magic which was surrounding me that day...I came up to a stop light, BAM! It hit me like a flash of bright, gleaming, glorious sunlight from above...I love the colorful clothes she wears! YES! And the way the sunlight was gleaming off my yellow Jag that day...I'll twist that somehow, let me think...and the way the sunlight plays upon...my Jag? No...HER HAIR! I had it. Yes. Groovy, boss, here we go. The lyrics poured out of me as I shifted out of first as the light changed to green, they began to flow as effortlessly as the gasoline pouring into the Jaguar's engine as I stepped on the accelerator and heard the engine purr...blossom worlds, gentle words, I closed my eyes and saw the girl walking down La Cienega replayed in my mind, and it was IT, man. It was in the BAG! I knew we had an out of the box smash hit at that moment in time, that glorious moment in Los Angeles, oh that those moments would come more often..."

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »

GF, do you teach a creative writing class in urban Philadelphia?..... LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »

It's a shame Mike Love had William S. Burroughs killed, he would've done justice to an audiobook as well...

I could feel the Kokomo closing in, feel Bruce Johnston out there making his moves, setting up their Jeff Foskett stool pigeons, crooning and pantomiming over my spoon and dropper I throw away at Washington Square Station, vault a turnstile and two flights down the iron stairs, point at an uptown A train and then at someone waiting for the train...

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »

If we're lucky, really lucky, maybe M. Night Shyamalan will direct the feature film Love biopic adaptation.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx