gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:27:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54704 times)
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »

from Chapter 252: The Case Against Alan Jardine (Continued)

Alan Jardine can't let things go. He professes to follow the teachings of the Maharashi Mahesh Yogi, but his true guru seems to be bitterness... and the "Man from Monterey" sure knows how to nurse a decades-long grudge instead of letting the good vibrations flow. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get along? God only knows why he persists in saying terrible things about me in interviews, always painting the Beach Boys as heroes and villains. Guess who he calls the villain! All I want to do is spread positivity all summer long.  It pains me deeply as a bandmember and lifelong friend to say this, but he just can't let things go.

Take for example 1998. Carl Wilson had  passed on after a brave struggle. Zeppo Wilson was moving heaven and earth to keep things afloat, the family really came together and I was an entertaining an offer to play the Super Bowl without Al Jardine. But where others saw reasons to come together, Al Jardine saw an opportunity: in his twisted mind he figured they could continue being the Beach Boys without me! I didn't even know who Peter Cetera was but he thought he and Cousin Brian would somehow make up for the lack of Mike Love. He didn't understand that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, and how we each make such wonderful, endless harmony together. So I had no choice but to remove him from the band to preserve the wonderful group we maintain to this day playing shows from coast to coast, country to country, paying tribute every night to the talents of Carl, Dennis, and Brian.

There isn't a tribute to Al Jardine, and it's not just because my band can do a much better "Help Me Rhonda" or an even sweeter "Then I Kissed Her," and it's not even because he warned us not to use his likeness on the video projections -- it's because I still can't believe how he tried to arrange some sort of symphonic "Beach Boys" Pet Sounds tour without me! Without I, Mike Love... who penned the immortal words "good night baby, sleep tight baby." That hook that everybody remembers and helped put our track in every romantic comedy and car commercial we rented it to. How could you possibly perform Pet Sounds without that?

Jardine thinks we are somehow "cheapening the legacy," just like he does when my good friend John Stamos from television's hit series "Full House" would join us on stage to play a hot guitar solo or show us he knows how to play the drums. Alan would make a face, a sour face that was totally against our fun in the sun image... but that's just because he can't let go. Can't move on from the past, can't embrace the future and "do it again." What he did to me in the 90s I will never forget, they say betrayal comes in many forms but it's most upsetting form has got to be a small man with orange hair in a white suit.

Alan Jardine just can't let things go. 

Ontor, you obviously have gotten your hands on a first draft copy of the manuscript....You must share other chapters.  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2014, 08:05:34 AM »

I know it's nitpicky, but for such a confident guy why does Mike always have to bill himself as "of The Beach Boys"? Mick Jagger doesn't need to. Paul McCartney doesn't either?

I don't think any of them was in the band

Surely the book will get lots of promotion. But unfortunately most of it will probably be like this. Though it's the same stuff that we predict on this board, it's all in fun and not too serious. Yet when written e.g. by the Guardian it's just stupid if they don't happen to have an advance copy.

Best way to promote this book and max sales would be to go out on the road with Brian, Al, Dave, Bruce, and maybe even Blondie and Ricky. But that might mean holding a few punches in the book. Ho hum…

“We live in divisive times.”
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »

Best way to promote this book and max sales would be to go out on the road with Brian, Al, Dave, Bruce, and maybe even Blondie and Ricky. But that might mean holding a few punches in the book. Ho hum…

Yeah. My immediate thought when I saw the release date was "Oh well, no PS50 tour."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »

That Mike has decided to do this book at all, in the firm knowledge that there isn't a hope in hell of it getting a fair hearing in the media at large (never mind on the BB forums) is probably the most amazing fact concerning this project.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2014, 10:14:05 AM »

That Mike has decided to do this book at all, in the firm knowledge that there isn't a hope in hell of it getting a fair hearing in the media at large (never mind on the BB forums) is probably the most amazing fact concerning this project.

Mike - a stoic victim of a heartless, cruel and unjust society in moral decay. Still he releases a book. We certainly need heroes in a time like this and Mike is stepping up to the plate.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:15:34 AM by The Legendary Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »

I personally do think it takes a certain amount of bravery to release something that you know is going to be vilified regardless of its quality by a certain percentage

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »

Mike - a stoic victim of a heartless, cruel and unjust society in moral decay. Still he releases a book. We certainly need heroes in a time like this and Mike is stepping up to the plate.

My point is thus proven to perfection.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »

I personally do think it takes a certain amount of bravery to release something that you know is going to be vilified regardless of its quality by a certain percentage

How come? What is the worst thing that can happen to ML of the Beach Boys?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »

And so is mine.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2014, 10:27:06 AM »

The public has the right idea of Mike.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »

How come? What is the worst thing that can happen to ML of the Beach Boys?

Unfair media hearings like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrSQ5tZMWhU

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »

O'Reilly gets him. Pals in paradise!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »

And so is mine.

Tell me, what's it like to have such a closed mind ? Life must be so easy for you, so black and white.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »

Almost, but my work will continue until my last breath. Old Man

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »

I am not worthy for your crusade. Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »

Normal (dis)service has been resumed. A month, tops.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »

And so is mine.

Tell me, what's it like to have such a closed mind ? Life must be so easy for you, so black and white.

I do not have a closed mind. Your assumption is therefor wrong. Must be a first. Smiley And your assertion only a close-minded person fail to see Mike as a victim is wrong. You can not feed false premises into a logical argument and get away with it. I don't see Mike as any kind of victim since he is a fairly dominant person and often gets things his way. Am I wrong here?

I intend to:

• buy Mike's book
  • read Mike's book
  • take into consideration the information presented in Mike's book
  • compare that information with other accounts of information
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:51:21 AM by The Legendary Swedish Frog » Logged

SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »

And so is mine.

Thus is the life of those who cannot understand Mike.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »

Finally, a translation that does justice to the master's work.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »

And so is mine.

I do not have a closed mind. Your assumption is therefor wrong. Must be a first. Smiley And your assertion only a close-minded person fail to see Mike as a victim is wrong. You can not feed false premises into a logical argument and get away with it. I don't see Mike as any kind of victim since he is a fairly dominant person and often gets things his way. Am I wrong here?

I intend to:

• buy Mike's book
  • read Mike's book
  • take into consideration the information presented in Mike's book
  • compare that information with other accounts of information

I must admit that is pretty damn well put.

Even Mike must know that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

There are much worse positions to be in than when even your non-fans are buying your product Smiley

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »

I also find it kinda sad that he never has the guts to go out publicly without his hat.

Well....

and then he posted this on his facebook site:

Being bald, one should always wear a hat in the sun.

To tell you the truth, I'm looking forward very much to see what Brian and Mike have to say about the Beach Boys tour and it's ending in 2012 repectively. IF they have to say more than what we read in interviews.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »

To tell you the truth, I'm looking forward very much to see what Brian and Mike have to say about the Beach Boys tour and it's ending in 2012 repectively. IF they have to say more than what we read in interviews.

It would be nice if they weren't able to read each others books before publication, so as to stop  at least some of the he said/he said

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »

CSPAN BOOK-TV written all over it!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:01:17 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

Mike seems to be singing into a Shure 545 in that pic I didn't realise he as well as Brian recorded through that.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx