gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681007 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 09:22:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54978 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:47 AM »

Amazing..

It's going to be ripped to shreds on this board.

But of course. Whether it deserves it or not.  Smiley

Eh, my bad - it's already being torn apart some eighteen months before anyone here has read so much as a single word.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 12:27:42 AM »

Interesting news.

A shame Al has never written a book though as I think he might have the most interesting story to tell (the guy surrounded by the madness).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 12:32:45 AM »

Actually, Alan's been the wildest of all. Why do you think he moved out to Big Sur so many years ago ? No prying eyes. The tales I've heard of what really went on in the Red Barn...  Thud

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 01:03:04 AM »

Actually, Alan's been the wildest of all. Why do you think he moved out to Big Sur so many years ago ? No prying eyes. The tales I've heard of what really went on in the Red Barn...  Thud
The reasons for it being the Red Barn.....? Grin
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2014, 01:14:39 AM »

Teeth not brushed for two days straight one particularly crazy week in 1981.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:15 AM »

The reasons for it being the Red Barn.....? Grin

Best ask Maria Martin...

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2014, 03:20:06 AM »

I want to hear how he handles the 1967-1974 period. He was being a hippie at that point and doing joints onstage. I hope he really covers this period because he has never said anything about it as far as I'm aware. His 'lost years' perhaps?
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 04:13:38 AM »

Do author's still do book store signings? I ask the question because it seems there are hardly anymore book stores in existence. Mike could hit a lot of cities tying in a book tour with his regular one.

Oh, and I'll go on record now saying that the forward will be written by John Stamos.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2014, 05:08:03 AM »

Amazing..

Eh, my bad - it's already being torn apart some eighteen months before anyone here has read so much as a single word.

Exactly.

Speculate on Brian's upcoming album - God forbid you say a single critical word - how dare you speculate when you haven't heard a single note! Then you hear a single note - 8 or 9 seconds to be exact - and speculate after hearing that, no, you can't do that! And then there's the Love And Mercy movie. Want to comment on that? Nope, not until you see it. But, Mike's Book? Go ahead, speculate and criticize away! It's OK. Hypocrisy reigns again.

Hey Jude, this is an early Christmas present for you. Happy Holidays!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2014, 05:31:13 AM »

I for one am excited about this. O don't care if Mike has an agenda, is defensive, etc. I want to hear his side of the story. There is not much more we can learn about Brian at this point. And we have a couple of books on Dennis and one on Dave. I have loved each and every one of them. It's interesting, because we learn something new from every angle. At this point I am mostly interested in this book and one on Carl! Al and Bruce would be great too. Maybe even anyone who has been around the band for a long time (Stephen Desper, Bill Hinche, Jeff Foskett, Marilyn Wilson!!!, etc)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:32:39 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2014, 05:37:58 AM »

Looking forward to this, less so for Brian's book.

It'll be interesting to see if the book gets a co-credit, as in "by Mike Love, with X", or if he goes the route of ghostwriter.

It says he'll be assisted by James S. Hirsch.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2014, 05:56:59 AM »

I'm having trouble finding any posts here that are tearing this book apart. How one can compare the posts in this thread to people claiming Brian can't write a great song anymore, or that he's a sellout, or that he has no chance of getting on the radio again, or that his management is delusional, etc etc, is beyond me.

As for the book, I'm glad it's coming out. I have to agree with other posters that I hope Mike really delves into the late-60s, early 70s period. It'll also be great to read about his perspective of the C50 ending.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2014, 05:57:04 AM »

Amazing..

Exactly.

Speculate on Brian's upcoming album - God forbid you say a single critical word - how dare you speculate when you haven't heard a single note! Then you hear a single note - 8 or 9 seconds to be exact - and speculate after hearing that, no, you can't do that! And then there's the Love And Mercy movie. Want to comment on that? Nope, not until you see it. But, Mike's Book? Go ahead, speculate and criticize away! It's OK. Hypocrisy reigns again.

Brian Wilson's Musical Album - genius composer who's created some of the most beautiful music in existence.
Mike Love's Book - the majority of his interviews are about the same couple points - naming the drug-using Wilson brothers, talking about his lyrics, and Back in the USSR. I don't think anyone here has gone overboard in criticizing the book...the man has said and done a lot of stupid stuff, and its normal to wonder what the book is gonna be like. Does that mean no one wants it to be good? No...

Basically - there are very different points of reference for discussing these two things.

Do you really not see the difference here, and why these two things are treated differently?

There's a strange feeling about Brian Wilson perpetuated by posts like yours that I'm starting to see constantly - sarcasm in response to posters trying to reasonably discuss the new album, and I really don't understand it. If anyone has a good idea why this is happening, I'd like to know. I figured a year ago when the new album was first being discussed that everyone would unanimously be happy, simply for the fact that we're getting more music...but that has not been the case once for the last year. I guess it's just a weird Smiley Smile thing?

Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »

... whose book about Rubin "Hurricane" Carter contends that its subject was innocent of all charges levelled against him.  I wonder if this will prove some sort of precedent.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »

... whose book about Rubin "Hurricane" Carter contends that its subject was innocent of all charges levelled against him.  I wonder if this will prove some sort of precedent.

Well, obviously he was innocent!  EVERYONE in prison is innocent, just ask them

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2014, 06:57:48 AM »

Amazing..

But of course. Whether it deserves it or not.  Smiley
[/quo

Exactly.

Brian Wilson's Musical Album - genius composer who's created some of the most beautiful music in existence.
Mike Love's Book - the majority of his interviews are about the same couple points - naming the drug-using Wilson brothers, talking about his lyrics, and Back in the USSR. I don't think anyone here has gone overboard in criticizing the book...the man has said and done a lot of stupid stuff, and its normal to wonder what the book is gonna be like. Does that mean no one wants it to be good? No...

Basically - there are very different points of reference for discussing these two things.

Do you really not see the difference here, and why these two things are treated differently?

There's a strange feeling about Brian Wilson perpetuated by posts like yours that I'm starting to see constantly - sarcasm in response to posters trying to reasonably discuss the new album, and I really don't understand it. If anyone has a good idea why this is happening, I'd like to know. I figured a year ago when the new album was first being discussed that everyone would unanimously be happy, simply for the fact that we're getting more music...but that has not been the case once for the last year. I guess it's just a weird Smiley Smile thing?
High Five Thumbs Up w00t!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:05:28 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2014, 07:09:46 AM »

sh*t is going to get real on the board once this comes out.

Smokin

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Nicko1234
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »

Something of a contradiction there...

And the idea that any message board for any musician has fans who are unanimously happy about any forthcoming project is patently false. You will always get discussions about how good or bad it may be, whether they are using the right producer, how promising the song titles are etc.

The only weird thing about this board is that some people think it is unique to here.  Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2014, 08:10:43 AM »

Now it's going to get real ugly.....  Cool Guy

I'd imagine something like this  Grin
What's your guess?

Chapter 1: Growing up in Surf City
Chapter 2: Let's go surfin' now
Chapter 3: Fun, fun, fun all summer long
Chapter 4: Meeting all those California girls
Chapter 5: Good and bad vibrations
Chapter 6: - nothing happened here -
Chapter 7: Endless summer
Chapter 8: Kokomo
Chapter 9: Keepin' the summer alive

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »

Amazing..

But of course. Whether it deserves it or not.  Smiley

Exactly.

"Genius composer" is boring as hell in and of itself. But Brian is fascinating for many reasons beyond that hefty (and cumbersome) tag.... Mike's an interesting guy too.

There's enough room in the world for both guys to get some attention.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:08:21 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »

There's enough room in the world for both guys to get some attention.

Yep. You nailed it dawg, though giving either one more or less attention wasn't the issue.

My point was that the comparison of the criticisms of Mike Love's book to the Brian Wilson's album was ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:43:16 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »

I'll be looking forward to reading this. Rock books are usually a version of the truth and I wouldn't expect this one to be any different - though hopefully it won't contain stuff lifted from elsewhere without credit. It's bound to ignite partisan flames but all books like this do. Look at all the sh*t about Robertson v Helm or Henly and Frey v Felder and so on...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »

I'm having trouble finding any posts here that are tearing this book apart. How one can compare the posts in this thread to people claiming Brian can't write a great song anymore, or that he's a sellout, or that he has no chance of getting on the radio again, or that his management is delusional, etc etc, is beyond me.

As for the book, I'm glad it's coming out. I have to agree with other posters that I hope Mike really delves into the late-60s, early 70s period. It'll also be great to read about his perspective of the C50 ending.

Agree. Looking forward to it tremendously. Whether Mike's outrageous or contrite, this should be good, so long as he has scope to tell it like he sees it, with no peer pressure to tow any party lines. Whether that be clichés or eye-openers, bring it on!

“We live in divisive times.”
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »

The interesting thing for me would be to see if mike adds new evidence or documentation for the early years. As I said once before, when writing my book I kept hoping a photo of the 1961 bbs with al would turn up but it never did. But it is entirely possible mike has one in his basement.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »

Yep. You nailed it dawg

Are you Randy Jackson in disguise?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx