gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:20:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guess I'm dumb  (Read 11434 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »

I assume Wondermints' recording was an attempt to emulate what a BBoys version would have sounded like?

Nope -- it's a modern rendition in a retro-power-pop sort of way. The drums are looped, but the other instruments are live. Very nice rendition with a good Darian vocal. Years ago I OOPSed out the vocal and flew in Glen's just for S's and G's.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »

I'm thinking perhaps Brian had enough of a commercial instinct to know what would sell and what wouldn't sell, and if you place his "outside" productions into a sub-category a level or two under the Beach Boys where he was all but obligated to deliver commercial hits, it gave him quite a bit of freedom to stretch out and indulge some of his more experimental, more sophisticated, but less accessible songwriting traits. That's not taking anything at all away from any of the artists he wrote for and produced outside the BB's, but obviously he's going to give his family and the band with his name and image the strongest commercial material.

I'm trying to remember: Wasn't there a specific part in an early contract, somewhere, that gave Brian the ability to work with outside artists as long as he delivered the BB's product for Capitol? It would be the perfect vehicle for him to almost practice and develop his craft and not feel as much pressure for a "hit". And Brian also had his own separate publishing company, in partnership with someone whose name I can't recall, prior to 1965 for these projects, didn't he?

I disagree with this line of thinking in terms of "Guess I'm Dumb". It was supposed to be a gift to Glen Campbell. Why would they give him a dud? Brian wanted this song to be a hit.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »

I'm thinking perhaps Brian had enough of a commercial instinct to know what would sell and what wouldn't sell, and if you place his "outside" productions into a sub-category a level or two under the Beach Boys where he was all but obligated to deliver commercial hits, it gave him quite a bit of freedom to stretch out and indulge some of his more experimental, more sophisticated, but less accessible songwriting traits. That's not taking anything at all away from any of the artists he wrote for and produced outside the BB's, but obviously he's going to give his family and the band with his name and image the strongest commercial material.

I'm trying to remember: Wasn't there a specific part in an early contract, somewhere, that gave Brian the ability to work with outside artists as long as he delivered the BB's product for Capitol? It would be the perfect vehicle for him to almost practice and develop his craft and not feel as much pressure for a "hit". And Brian also had his own separate publishing company, in partnership with someone whose name I can't recall, prior to 1965 for these projects, didn't he?

I disagree with this line of thinking in terms of "Guess I'm Dumb". It was supposed to be a gift to Glen Campbell. Why would they give him a dud? Brian wanted this song to be a hit.

Go back a bit, I wasn't applying that line of thinking to Guess I'm Dumb specifically, it was a comment about the previous post mentioning Brian's outside productions in general. If you disagree with the post in general I'd suggest listening to some of those non-hit Brian productions for artists other than his Beach Boys, find some of the stranger or more non-commercial elements of his production and songwriting, and see which of those concepts or sonic/song ideas eventually ended up on Beach Boys records, if it's only a handful or a large number. I think it was the process of learning, developing, perfecting, then finally using in a commercial way some of these more complex musical ideas Brian had in his mind.

I doubt anyone goes into making a record with the intention to make a flop, I don't know where you read that in my post, but there *is* considerable freedom to experiment and expand if you're not being pressured for the next hit by your record company. Brian at least until 1967 gave the majority of his most commercial songs and ideas to his family, end of story.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
nickdunning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

Having another burst of obsession with this song after hearing the instrumental track on MIC.

The instrumental track makes the thing sounds even more 'Pet Sounds'. The horns are incredible, yet this was recorded in October 1964. Brian was ahead of everyone at this point.

Reading between the lines it appears none of the Beach Boys wanted to do the lead vocal, and the track was given to Glen Campbell as a thankyou to him in March 1965.

Glen's vocal is absolutely sublime though. Hair raising.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »

Reading between the lines it appears none of the Beach Boys wanted to do the lead vocal, and the track was given to Glen Campbell as a thankyou to him in March 1965.

No lines to read between - this and "Sandy" were written to be given to Glen, they're not just Beach Boys outtakes. If Brian would have wanted it on a Beach Boys record, it would have been.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:44:41 PM by zatch » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 02:22:47 AM »

The instrumental track makes the thing sounds even more 'Pet Sounds'. The horns are incredible, yet this was recorded in October 1964. Brian was ahead of everyone at this point.

You obviously haven't heard any Spector backing tracks from this period. A lot of the Pet Sounds tracks sound like where Spector was at circa '64.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 03:32:10 AM »

Imagine Today! with a BB version of Guess I'm Dumb in place of Bull Session, and weep.
Wept many a times thinking that... Cry

To me, the album absolutely should end with In The Back Of My Mind. That amazing orchestral breakdown at the end! Guess I'm Dumb should have been track 11.

To me it sounds like Dennis, at least on the MIC version of GID. The 'uh-uh-uh-uh-uhhh' bit, very Dennis-sounding.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 03:40:08 AM »

Cut the flab off Summer Days(and Summer Nights!) and mentally replace with finished BB versions of Sherry and Guess I'm Dumb and you have a record equal to Today! and Pet Sounds.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »

Cut the flab off Summer Days(and Summer Nights!) and mentally replace with finished BB versions of Sherry and Guess I'm Dumb and you have a record equal to Today! and Pet Sounds.

What flab?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »

What flab?
My two would be I'm Bugged At My Old Man, along with And Your Dream Comes True. Though I do like both of these songs, Sherry & Dumb would make better replacements.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »

I'd go with I'm Bugged at my Old Man and You're So Good to Me. Both awful songs.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »

I'd have to choose "Salt Lake City" and "Amusement Parks U.S.A," which is a fine song, but doesn't fit so well.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »

I did a stereo mix of "Guess I'm Dumb" like a year ago and never posted it, likely because I was in the middle of the second of three moves within the last year and my brain was breaking even more than it already was at the time, but hay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWO1qPCawPI&feature=youtu.be

I doubt I'm the first to do it, and I see that someone else uploaded a stereo mix of it in the meantime, but hay. No idea why they didn't do a stereo mix of the song for MIC instead of just the track and backing vocals, maybe something to do with contracts and other bullshit, but it deserved a spot on there with Glen's lead over the track and backing vocals. Still nice that it's there at all, but yeah.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »

I'd go with I'm Bugged at my Old Man and You're So Good to Me. Both awful songs.

"Awful"? Jeez!

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »

No lines to read between - this and "Sandy" were written to be given to Glen, they're not just Beach Boys outtakes. If Brian would have wanted it on a Beach Boys record, it would have been.

Interesting - never knew "Sandy" was to be Glen's. I'm guessing he never cut a vocal to it?

Is this an actual thing? Source, runnerz?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »

I did a stereo mix of "Guess I'm Dumb" like a year ago and never posted it, likely because I was in the middle of the second of three moves within the last year and my brain was breaking even more than it already was at the time, but hay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWO1qPCawPI&feature=youtu.be

Love the stereo mix runners, cheers!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »

Interesting - never knew "Sandy" was to be Glen's. I'm guessing he never cut a vocal to it?

Shoot, trying to find a source on this, but can't. It's one of those things that folks say around here and elsewhere that's seemingly kind of accepted as common knowledge, but I've never seen in a book or anything. Andrew? Anyone?

Anyway, I guess I should clarify that "Sandy" may not have been written specifically for Glen, but I swear it's been said "Sandy" and "Guess I'm Dumb" were submitted to him, but he only ever did a vocal for the latter for whatever reason. I believe those two songs were the only songs co-written by Brian and Russ Titelman, keep in mind, and it being intended for Glen would explain why there are backing vocals but no lead on "Sandy".

Glad you liked the mix, mikeddonn!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:55:04 PM by runnersdialzero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »

The horns are incredible, yet this was recorded in October 1964. Brian was ahead of everyone at this point.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »

Shoot, trying to find a source on this, but can't. It's one of those things that folks say around here and elsewhere that's seemingly kind of accepted as common knowledge, but I've never seen in a book or anything. Andrew? Anyone?

Anyway, I guess I should clarify that "Sandy" may not have been written specifically for Glen, but I swear it's been said "Sandy" and "Guess I'm Dumb" were submitted to him, but he only ever did a vocal for the latter for whatever reason. I believe those two songs were the only songs co-written by Brian and Russ Titelman, keep in mind, and it being intended for Glen would explain why there are backing vocals but no lead on "Sandy".
[/quote]

Considering that the existing background vocals for "Sandy" sound like, well, the entire band (including Bruce), I'd be surprised if the intention was to hand it off to Glen...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »

Never heard that "Sandy" was intended for Glen. Doesn't mean it wasn't, just that I've not heard anything to that effect since summer 1975.  Grin

Thing is, the track for "GID" was recorded just over five months before the first stab at "Sherry".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »

Never heard that "Sandy" was intended for Glen. Doesn't mean it wasn't, just that I've not heard anything to that effect since summer 1975.  Grin

TYha's what I was remembering (not that my memory is considered to be A-rated.)  but I figure the Sherry/Glen statement is a false memory somehow implanted in RDZero's brain. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:17 PM »

One thing that is worth mentioning that I haven't seen said is how the one vocal part of Had to Phone Ya is very much right out of Guess I'm Dumb.  I'm speaking of these two sections to be specific...

Guess I'm Dumb:

I'll give in when I know I should be strong
I still give in even though I know it's wrong, know it's wrong

Had to Phone Ya:

I visualize that you're looking fine
Feels so good when you come on the line
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 12:48:07 AM »

Found this version on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bckSfcW0z3o
I have no idea what show this is, where this takes place, or who the singer is, but this is great!
Nicko1234
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 12:53:38 AM »

Not according to Glen. He stated that Guess I'm Dumb was intended for the Beach Boys but was 'off message' or words to that effect.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx