gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680979 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 04:27:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alone On christmas Day ... new single  (Read 22003 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2015, 11:26:46 PM »

You guys can't be so dense as to not understand what he's saying. It's simply a way of expressing his view that people are exhibiting a "love it or leave it" mentality while being belligerent with each other. Hence the insult at the end. He called no one an "asshole". In fact, it seems quite clear that it's how he sees other people interacting with each other.

As for why he couldn't have said it like that... Why should he have to? Are we not allowed to do things differently? Come on, this is ridiculous. You're banning someone on the basis of "I don't get it".

I think we should all have the power to ban someone who personally offends us. Even if they weren't actually offending us personally, actually. That way there'd be none of us left within a few days and there'd be world peace…

“We live in divisive times.”
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »

Love or leave what? Please explain it.
And who was being belligerent to each other in this thread? Please explain it.

Once again, this is a post that describes what he thinks. Some of it is easy to understand, the rest I won't speak for. Why didn't you ask him these things before you banned him? Perhaps you woulda got your "normal conversation".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »

You guys can't be so dense as to not understand what he's saying. It's simply a way of expressing his view that people are exhibiting a "love it or leave it" mentality while being belligerent with each other. Hence the insult at the end. He called no one an "asshole". In fact, it seems quite clear that it's how he sees other people interacting with each other.

As for why he couldn't have said it like that... Why should he have to? Are we not allowed to do things differently? Come on, this is ridiculous. You're banning someone on the basis of "I don't get it".

I think we should all have the power to ban someone who personally offends us. Even if they weren't actually offending us personally, actually. That way there'd be none of us left within a few days and there'd be world peace…

Love it or leave it, asshole. That's what a lot of people here are saying.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »

Love or leave what? Please explain it.
And who was being belligerent to each other in this thread? Please explain it.

Once again, this is a post that describes what he thinks. Some of it is easy to understand, the rest I won't speak for. Why didn't you ask him these things before you banned him? Perhaps you woulda got your "normal conversation".

So it's basically like abstract art, ASSHOLE used in a post has to be interpreted a specific way so the true meaning is conveyed? Seriously?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2015, 11:32:10 PM »

Now. You just did actually call me an asshole. Dare I suggest you backtrack?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2015, 11:33:23 PM »

John, he didn't. He was quoting runners...he (runners) used 'a lot of people' in the quote field in the past.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:34:20 PM by ♩♬ GoTime ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2015, 11:35:26 PM »

John, he didn't. He was quoting runners...he (runners) used 'a lot of people' in the quote field in the past.

ASSHOLE used in a post has to be interpreted a specific way so the true meaning is conveyed? Seriously?

The only thing that can logically happen next is that guitarfool is banned.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:37:35 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »

Well I took it personally. That's my take and if I had the power I'd've banned him by now cos that's the way things seem to roll around here. Is my point getting across?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »

Now. You just did actually call me an asshole. Dare I suggest you backtrack?

I was repeating "runnersdial"'s original post verbatim, and you took it as a personal insult. I did that purposely not to call you, John, any expletive name or insult, but to show how absurd it really is from the beginning and how statements, phrases, and words in general can be taken many different ways depending on the reader. Right? If I had used the quote function...not an insult. Minus quotes...insult. Does that seem logical?

Point is, the word ASSHOLE in caps should not be part of someone's post that could be read by other members in the same way you read mine, and this abstract Dada-ist posting stuff may be funny for some but possibly not as much for most readers.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2015, 11:38:59 PM »

Oh so I'm being taught a lesson? Gee thanks… humble thanks…

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »

John misunderstood your arty approach to posting, GF. Apparently that's legitimate grounds for bans now. Is this just gonna be a one-week suspension for you, or longer?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:44:32 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2015, 11:43:06 PM »

Oh so I'm being taught a lesson? Gee thanks… humble thanks…

Well, John, you just said you would have banned me for quoting exactly what RunnersDialZero posted because you thought you were being called an asshole in my post (which wasn't my wording), yet you defended RunnersDialZero when he was posting it originally as a reply. So I get banned for quoting the exact words that you defended another for posting in a reply.

Right?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2015, 11:44:18 PM »

I just looked back… Runnerz post quoted no one directly, while yours was a direct reply to my post, even quoting it direct. So you're not calling me an asshole? Lemme have a think abou how that works?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2015, 11:45:34 PM »

It's okay though, I won't ban you on this occasion.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2015, 11:47:38 PM »

When RunnersDialZero posts "a lot of people here are saying: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT, ASSHOLE" in a reply, it's a commentary. When I post the same words verbatim in a reply, it's a personal insult.

So the "ban" should be applied to the words when someone takes them as a personal insult, but not when the interpretation of those same exact words is something other than an insult.

Just so we have all the details.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2015, 11:48:47 PM »

Let's make sure to fill in these details:

Calling no one an "asshole" = banned
Calling someone an "asshole" = mod
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2015, 11:50:04 PM »

Posting an exact quote is calling someone an asshole? Is that your definition?

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »

No, just actually calling someone that is. Which you did. Which Runners did not.
Hey, man, maybe it was a misunderstanding. But, like, so what? I'm all confused by your arty way of posting.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:09 PM »

There's a quote function for posting direct quotes. Really appreciate you going to the trouble of typing it all out again.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:54 PM »

I'm late to the party (have taken a well-earned break from this board and actually online in general with a few rare exceptions), and I stumbled onto this thread quite by chance, not knowing what I would end up finding.

So here's my two cents, and if I've misunderstood anyone , feel free to correct me; I'm not posting this as a 'Billy the Mod' but rather as 'myself'...

I don't think ANYBODY was calling anyone an asshole, at least initially. I read the initial post from runners and didn't know what the f*** it was about. That post I made earlier (first one, not the second)? That was my immediate reaction after reading the thread for the first time. Now as for happened later....I'm not speaking for anybody, but how *I* took it was GF posted what runners said verbatim to prove a point, in that how easy it would be for someone to take the initial post wrong (or right?) way. And what happened after *that* actually proved that point. He wasn't calling John an asshole.

That's just how I see it. Again, I'm open to admit I may be interpreting it wrong.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:59:54 PM by ♩♬ GoTime ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »

I'm not speaking for anybody, but how *I* took it was GF posted what runners said verbatim to prove a point

Oh, okay, so because you understood, you were okay with it. What about the other people that didn't understand it? Should we be able to ban guitarfool because his intention wasn't clear to the rest of us?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:19 AM »

No, just actually calling someone that is. Which you did. Which Runners did not.
Hey, man, maybe it was a misunderstanding. But, like, so what? I'm all confused by your arty way of posting.

So your interpretation of it is the way it is, right? Because you say so, I apparently called John Manning an asshole even after I went through explaining that whole thing. Because you say so, the original "asshole" post was a deep social commentary on the interactions between board members...because you say that's what it is. Ok, so putting up a statement to "no one" isn't insulting, but quoting that same statement in a reply to someone is an insult.

Are you sure you know?

Why not just try posting conversationally in the first place? Not using the word ASSHOLE, things like that...clears up a lot of misunderstandings before they even start. Just an idea. Oh, and posting statements that people can read and understand and not need a translation to help explain the deeper meaning behind the words...that helps things run more smooth as well.

How's that?

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2015, 12:07:42 AM »

So your interpretation of it is the way it is, right? Because you say so, I apparently called John Manning an asshole even after I went through explaining that whole thing. Because you say so, the original "asshole" post was a deep social commentary on the interactions between board members...because you say that's what it is. Ok, so putting up a statement to "no one" isn't insulting, but quoting that same statement in a reply to someone is an insult.

So your interpretation of Runners' post is the way it is, right? Because you say so, he apparently offended some people by being obtuse even after I went through explaining that whole thing. Because you say so, your "asshole" post was deep commentary on the nature of communications... because you say that's what it is. So putting up a direct reply and calling someone an "asshole" isn't offensive, but putting up one that is directed towards no one is an offense.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:16:26 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2015, 12:09:16 AM »

So your interpretation of Runners' post is the way it is, right? Because you so, he apparently offended some people by being obtuse even after I went through explaining that whole thing. Because you so, your "asshole" post was deep commentary on the nature of communications... because you say that's what it is. So putting up a direct reply and calling someone an "asshole" isn't offensive, but putting up one that is directed towards no one is offensive.

Sure.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2015, 12:10:22 AM »

Great, so are you banned, or is Runners coming back?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx