gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:16:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alone On christmas Day ... new single  (Read 21794 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2015, 12:18:12 PM »

I’d also say that Mike’s mention of working on a track in the studio is highly unlikely to be a “listening session.” He described working on it (possibly remotely) with an outside producer (can’t remember the guy’s name). They wouldn’t do all of this if they were just remixing the ’77 track. Also, the track was vetoed from the ’98 “Ultimate Christmas” album, suggesting someone thought it was sub-par, and I’d venture to guess Mike himself would find the original lead vocal a little wonky.

And I’d say there’s a better chance of Mike recording a cover version of the entire “Sweet Insanity” album than there is a chance of Mike releasing a solo track under the “Beach Boys” name without BRI approval.

The producer's name is Michael Lloyd. Back in August when Mike and the band were in New England around the Cape for a series of shows that weekend, they went to Somerville Mass. and had that studio called Q Division linked up with producer Lloyd who was in California at a studio. Vocals were being worked on, if you believe the hype.  Smiley  There was a picture of Lloyd shown sitting at the board mixing "vocals" for that session, again linked up with the band in Massachusetts.

Prior to that, there was an interview with Mike where he mentioned going over older tracks with producer Michael Lloyd with ideas of how to update them, or words to that effect. Then the more recent interview was also where Mike mentioned working up a Christmas song.

So that's the pieces of the puzzle, connect them however.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »

I feel safe in saying that if Mike were able to do so, without strife, opposition, etc, he would gladly release a new recording of this (and other songs) under The BBs brand name. He probably feels like his hands are tied, because something like the NASCAR release with "Of The BBs" in large print with the true names of the musicians in small print just looked so clunky and frankly, ridiculous (content aside, I'm strictly talking about the cover art and the way they tried to brand it).  

Not to mention, isn't that non "BB" release of NASCAR (with "Of The BBs" in large print) release super similar to how Al tried to brand his live shows and got fingered by Mike as being in violation of how much he could promote using the brand name? I'm waiting for someone to say how that is not hypocritical in the slightest, and by golly I'm sure I'll find someone who'll say that in no time.

I'll bet there have been more than several Mike and company brainstorming sessions trying to figure out how to brand recorded material like this (in a way that goes beyond his own name) without legal problems, yet while still gaining the exposure/success that he desires by somehow utilizing the band name. Oh to be a fly on the wall...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:41:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

I’d also say that Mike’s mention of working on a track in the studio is highly unlikely to be a “listening session.” He described working on it (possibly remotely) with an outside producer (can’t remember the guy’s name). They wouldn’t do all of this if they were just remixing the ’77 track. Also, the track was vetoed from the ’98 “Ultimate Christmas” album, suggesting someone thought it was sub-par, and I’d venture to guess Mike himself would find the original lead vocal a little wonky.

And I’d say there’s a better chance of Mike recording a cover version of the entire “Sweet Insanity” album than there is a chance of Mike releasing a solo track under the “Beach Boys” name without BRI approval.

The producer's name is Michael Lloyd. Back in August when Mike and the band were in New England around the Cape for a series of shows that weekend, they went to Somerville Mass. and had that studio called Q Division linked up with producer Lloyd who was in California at a studio. Vocals were being worked on, if you believe the hype.  Smiley  There was a picture of Lloyd shown sitting at the board mixing "vocals" for that session, again linked up with the band in Massachusetts.

Prior to that, there was an interview with Mike where he mentioned going over older tracks with producer Michael Lloyd with ideas of how to update them, or words to that effect. Then the more recent interview was also where Mike mentioned working up a Christmas song.

So that's the pieces of the puzzle, connect them however.

That scenario doesn't bode well for this being an all-analog session 😃😃😃

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2015, 02:49:40 PM »

I'm sure I will enjoy this song as much as 'Goin To The Beach' and 'Pisces Brothers'.  Wink
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2015, 08:32:28 PM »

Ah, for those who asked, I don't have ANY inside info...I just read what Mike said, and to me it's obvious it can't be a Beach Boys recording!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »

Mike and Bruce will be touring Australia in November and were on ABC Breakfast TV this morning .... usual jabba jabba with the interviewer asking uncomfortable question about their relationship with Brian but in the interview Mike said that they would be debuting their "new single" ... Alone on Christmas ... Mike said it was to be featured in the new Bill Murray movie and that it was an old song so I'm guessing its what we know as Alone On Christmas Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOITFxI0GE

That is a speed up version of the song you posted. Here is the version with it at the correct speed! I Think the correct speed sounds more natural smoother and better

https://youtu.be/-DSFn2ZU6q0
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »

Try autotune on it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2015, 11:56:23 PM »

Ah, for those who asked, I don't have ANY inside info...I just read what Mike said, and to me it's obvious it can't be a Beach Boys recording!

Thanks Mike… I think I missed that though - can you provide a link to where Mike was quoted? Thanks in advance!

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2015, 06:14:19 AM »

Thanks Mike… I think I missed that though - can you provide a link to where Mike was quoted? Thanks in advance!

Here's the pertinent part from the Rock Cellar interview:

"In fact, Michael Lloyd who is producing this Christmas single for us and who is in Southern California while we’re in a studio in Somerville, Massachusetts – he was at the session and remembers Brian eliminating the words “we find” that rhyme with “she must be kind” and  that stuck in his mind. He was like, “Why did he cut off the rhyme?” (laughs) But I understand why Brian did it but that was the actual complete poem."

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/09/09/mike-love-of-the-beach-boys-one-on-one-the-interview-part-1/2/#sthash.yJFqZHwn.dpuf

Mike evidently also briefly mentioned the song, including the title, on the TV interview mentioned in this thread's first post. He also mentioned that it's an older song apparently, lending even more credence to the likelihood that "Alone on Christmas" is almost surely "Alone on Christmas Day."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »

Many thanks Hey Jude, great interview. I had read it before but had forgotten the bit about the Christmas single!

So producer Michael Lloyd was at the 66 'Vibes session? I find that remarkable.

Found his interview with him in which he recollects that and others:

From: http://www.taxi.com/transmitter/0509/record-producer-michael-lloyd.html

The trick is getting into the game. Whether it's easier now or harder isn't so much the point. It's always difficult. But when you hear that knock on the door of opportunity, you've got be ready to take advantage of it. The best way to take advantage of it is through education—whether that's through some schooling, private lessons, or on the street, or programs that ASCAP and BMI offer in the way of workshops, or help that TAXI may offer through its convention or critiques. All of this goes to round out your education.

I think you have to have a hot burning passion to do this stuff. I think that you have to obviously have some ability and be personable in some way. But that hot burning passion has got to lead you by the nose to anything—anything that you can do to be involved. I would do anything. I would engineer stuff for other people. I would go in and sit and listen to other people make records. I went to the recording sessions for Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations. I played on "Bluebirds Over the Mountain," by the Beach Boys. Those were big deals. Obviously anyone would do that. But I did stuff for my friend, producer, Kim Fowley where he'd pay me $50, and I'd go in and record all day long. I'd make up songs right then and there, and he'd put it out as some funny, funky thing. I didn't care. I was in the studio recording and doing something. I would have paid him.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx