gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:53:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alone On christmas Day ... new single  (Read 21792 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

Mike and Bruce will be touring Australia in November and were on ABC Breakfast TV this morning .... usual jabba jabba with the interviewer asking uncomfortable question about their relationship with Brian but in the interview Mike said that they would be debuting their "new single" ... Alone on Christmas ... Mike said it was to be featured in the new Bill Murray movie and that it was an old song so I'm guessing its what we know as Alone On Christmas Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOITFxI0GE

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:32:30 PM »

Interesting. Will surely be "released" under Mike's name. Assuming it's a re-recording of the 70's track, it's interesting that he's re-doing one that was left off "Ultimate Christmas." His lead is a bit shaky on the original version, perhaps it was vetoed from "Ultimate Christmas" for that reason...

That original circa '77 version linked on YouTube is running way too fast, if it's worth mentioning.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »

Wow, never noticed before how much the backing track sounds like King Harvest's "Dancing in the Moonlight" (BB's touring band members Ron Altbach and Eddie Tuleja were members of that band, as was Dave "Doc" Robinson of Celebration).

Lee
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:38:56 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »

*yawn* more retread crap from Mike Love.

Still can't write sh*t after trashing NPP this year. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »

I assume that this is for A Very Murray Christmas which is coming out on Netflix?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 05:06:51 PM »

That's a nice song, I'd actually never heard it and I'll be curious to hear the new version.  

It will at least be a hell of a lot better than Santa Goes to Kokomo.  LOL

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »

Interesting. Will surely be "released" under Mike's name. Assuming it's a re-recording of the 70's track, it's interesting that he's re-doing one that was left off "Ultimate Christmas." His lead is a bit shaky on the original version, perhaps it was vetoed from "Ultimate Christmas" for that reason...

That original circa '77 version linked on YouTube is running way too fast, if it's worth mentioning.
Why under his own name? It could be the original version. Was it mentioned that it was rerecorded? Since the original was never officially released, it could be under the Beach Boys.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »

*yawn* more retread crap from Mike Love.

Still can't write sh*t after trashing NPP this year. Roll Eyes

Just as effed up as any other horrendous myKe luHv song ever was.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 08:13:09 PM »

Why under his own name? It could be the original version. Was it mentioned that it was rerecorded? Since the original was never officially released, it could be under the Beach Boys.

There was another blurb somewhere on another thread where Mike mentioned finishing a Christmas track in the studio recently. I suppose he could be overdubbing the old BB recording. But my guess is a total re-record, similar to his "First Love" re-recordings.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
frightfulhog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 11:32:12 PM »

Wow, never noticed before how much the backing track sounds like King Harvest's "Dancing in the Moonlight"

Truly! I'd never paid attention to this song at any length before - not great songwriting, but sonically kinda interesting!

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 01:05:33 AM »

On the interview Mike says that Alone On christmas Day is a song he wrote back in the 60's, so maybe it is a new unheard song...

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:01:22 AM »

Strewth! That's awful ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:06 AM »

Haven't heard that Mike interview… I guess a newly recorded version with Mike Brian Al Bruce and all is already ruled out though? Needs some lyrical clunkers ironing out…

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »

Haven't heard that Mike interview… I guess a newly recorded version with Mike Brian Al Bruce and all is already ruled out though? Needs some lyrical clunkers ironing out…

Assuming it is the “Alone on Christmas Day” we know (and, probably, even if it’s a different song), I don’t think a one-off, mediocre or middling Christmas song would be the best use of reuniting the band again for a new single.

I think the only way any other BBs beyond Bruce are on this is if Mike is using the old ’77 track and overdubbing onto it. This seems relatively unlikely. (And in some if not most cases I think when Mike cuts studio stuff solo he doesn’t even use Bruce). Far easier to re-record the song from scratch.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »

If Brian Wilson isn't involved with or appearing on a new group recording, it can't be labelled a "Beach Boys" release. I thought that had been established and known since the late 90's, maybe.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »

In all honestly, I'd rather see this as a stand alone Mike Love song. 

Even if somehow the stars aligned, and Brian and Al joined Mike to add some vocals, I couldn't imagine the final  Beach Boys song being a one off Xmas single on a soundtrack. 

I'd much rather have Summer's Gone remain as the coda to The Beach Boys studio career. 

As a stand alone, Mike Love Christmas song, it could be a lot worse. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »

If Brian Wilson isn't involved with or appearing on a new group recording, it can't be labelled a "Beach Boys" release. I thought that had been established and known since the late 90's, maybe.
He is on the original recording. I just bought the cassette off of Ebay last month. It really depends whether Mike uses any or all of the original recording. If it is all original then it is in fact a Beach Boys track.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »

He is on the original recording. I just bought the cassette off of Ebay last month. It really depends whether Mike uses any or all of the original recording. If it is all original then it is in fact a Beach Boys track.

There cannot be a Beach Boys release without approval, for one. A new single with Mike, Bruce, and Jeff Foskett singing atop a vintage backing track doesn't meet the standard, if that's what people here think it might be. The guidelines as to what can or cannot be labeled "The Beach Boys" in terms of new releases were specific enough to prevent things like the NASCAR tribute from being called a Beach Boys album. No Brian, no Beach Boys. No approval, no Beach Boys.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »

There cannot be a Beach Boys release without approval, for one. A new single with Mike, Bruce, and Jeff Foskett singing atop a vintage backing track doesn't meet the standard, if that's what people here think it might be. The guidelines as to what can or cannot be labeled "The Beach Boys" in terms of new releases were specific enough to prevent things like the NASCAR tribute from being called a Beach Boys album. No Brian, no Beach Boys. No approval, no Beach Boys.
I know that. Do we know for sure it is a new recording or even a partial new recording? Where does it say Jeff and Bruce are on a new recording? I haven't seen anything that said that. My point is, if they use the original recording and BRI agreed, it could possibly come out as Beach Boys recording. The three surviving Beach Boys are the same three on the original recording.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »

Maybe they can use the original version and include it on an upcoming release called -

The Beach Boys - Definitive Ultimate Christmas
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »

While theoreticals are probably pointless since this will almost surely be a totally new recording, BRI would presumably have to approve Mike even using the original recording as a basis for a new overdub session, etc. In terms of what name the release could have, it depends on the scenario. Mike had Scott Totten overdub guitar onto “Goin’ to the Beach”, and it was still a “Beach Boys” recording. In that case, it was Mike adorning a “Beach Boys” song; it was still a 1979 track with just a little overdub. Similarly, Al overdubbed a new lead (and maybe other stuff) in 1998 for “Loop de Loop.” Then you have stuff like Al’s “Don’t Fight the Sea”, where he continually overdubbed the song for years and released it as a “new” song.

I could see Mike partially re-recording the X-Mas track for a BB release and having it still billed as a BB track. But as a stand-alone single, I think even if he overdubbed an old backing track (and even if BRI let him use the tape), it would probably be issued as a solo track as “Don’t Fight the Sea” was.

Obviously, BRI has to approve both the use of any old recordings and use of the BB name. That’s not in question. The question in this case is whether there’s any plausible scenario why any of that would happen? I don’t think Mike would want to use any old recorded elements, and even if he did, I don’t think BRI would want it released as a BB track. Would Mike slap the “Beach Boys” name on his new solo recording if he could? I dunno; probably. I’m assuming this track will either be offered as a free download or be sold as a $1 download. I don’t think he’s going to see huge sales on this thing.

He would stand to make a decent chunk of change if he cut a deal for the song to be used in a movie or TV show/movie; which is another factor that would lead me to believe he would cut such a deal for a solo track.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »

I know that. Do we know for sure it is a new recording or even a partial new recording? Where does it say Jeff and Bruce are on a new recording? I haven't seen anything that said that. My point is, if they use the original recording and BRI agreed, it could possibly come out as Beach Boys recording. The three surviving Beach Boys are the same three on the original recording.

I think the issue is that it doesn't seem plausible that BRI would agree.

While the demise of C50 showed the group as a whole and individually aren't so great when it comes to PR and business strategy, I would still think they'd be smart enough to know that a partial Mike Love re-recording of song from a rejected 1977/78 album (a track which was then rejected as a bonus track in 1998), released in obscurity as a holiday-themed single might not get them the best bang for their buck in terms of publicity or critical acclaim or sales.

Even a boring re-recording of another classic BB track pushed as another "reunion" single would make more sense.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:41:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »

Since some are stretching this pretty far when there really isn't any room to stretch as far as the standards in place for releasing any new material as "The Beach Boys", how about this. What label hypothetically would release it if Mike and members of his live band are the featured musicians on any hypothetical newly recorded track? It cannot be called "The Beach Boys" unless the standards are met, and we know what those are. So where is the argument?  The license is for billing live shows, the standards for releasing new material are separate and different. It's funny how there really is no argument if the actual licensing and naming standards are considered, yet there are speculations running wild over what this hypothetical single could be labeled. Interesting. Maybe they'll come up with a new variation of how previous releases like the NASCAR album were labeled.

The standards being implied in this thread would allow anyone with a vote on the BRI board to overdub onto an existing BB's recording from the archives that the band members recorded in the past and release it as The Beach Boys on a single or new album, does that make any sense? Not to me, especially since the rules and regs were put in place to prevent that from happening, and it hasn't happened in the past few decades.

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »

At the end of the day, it's a very good song, one of the better originals from that period.  It will be interesting to see what's done with it.  I'd love to see some new material from these guys before it's too late... regardless of the name attached.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »

Mike had Scott Totten overdub guitar onto “Goin’ to the Beach”, and it was still a “Beach Boys” recording. In that case, it was Mike adorning a “Beach Boys” song; it was still a 1979 track with just a little overdub.  

Isn't it weird to think that, barring any new BB recordings (which seems quite unlikely at this point), that Going to the Beach may wind up being the last BB song which a recording session was held for?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx