gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681048 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 09:51:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 167072 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »

Why didn't Joe import attractive young actors for the PBS Beach Boys' C50 special? The audience they filmed for that, which Joe also produced, was filled with elder folk from Florida.  Why now?  Because it's Brian solo?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »

Why didn't Joe import attractive young actors for the PBS Beach Boys' C50 special? The audience they filmed for that, which Joe also produced, was filled with elder folk from Florida.  Why now?  Because it's Brian solo?

It's being marketed to a younger audience, especially given the contemporary guest stars on the album.

As for the C50 videos (there were actually two), I'm not aware that either of them was shown on PBS. But I might be misremembering that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:08:08 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »

Well, Brian's people are consistent. You gotta give them credit for that. First they select people to come and sing for him, then they select people to come and clap for him.

Gee, a person might come to the conclusion that you were trying to bait someone into saying something that would get them in thrown off the Board with a ridiculous comment like that...

Go ahead, make my day.

Wow.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »

Why didn't Joe import attractive young actors for the PBS Beach Boys' C50 special? The audience they filmed for that, which Joe also produced, was filled with elder folk from Florida.  Why now?  Because it's Brian solo?

Yup. That must be it. That Joe Thomas! Golly.

Packed for Vegas! Cue Let's Go Trippin' and I'll see all you attractive young actors and decrepit, stylishly mothballed Smiley Smilers soon!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:20:57 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »

It's being marketed to a younger audience, especially given the contemporary guest stars on the album.

As for the C50 videos (there were actually two), I'm not aware that either of them was shown on PBS. But I might be misremembering that.

I believe the "Do it Again" one that was more of a documentary than "concert video" was shown on PBS in June '12. Both show very elderly audiences indeed...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »

From Brian's site.

Matt Jardine performing with Brian.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »

Well, Brian's people are consistent. You gotta give them credit for that. First they select people to come and sing for him, then they select people to come and clap for him.

Gee, a person might come to the conclusion that you were trying to bait someone into saying something that would get them in thrown off the Board with a ridiculous comment like that...

Go ahead, make my day.

Thanks for proving my point.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:56:08 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2014, 08:06:45 AM »

Ok, Mr. Doe. Who... do... you... mean... by... management... if not... Jean Sievers... and Melinda Wilson. Cat got your tongue? Is it some state secret? It's not like naming them is going to make their opinion of you any lower, right?

Here's the recipe. You should save it for future use.
1: correct something meaningless
2: be condescending/insulting
3: DISSAPEAR

Let me try it:
1. The correct spelling is "DISAPPEAR."
2. In case you missed it, there is a "Spell Check" button right next to the "Post" button.  Wink
3. Bye!

(Sorry; that was just teed up too high for me not to take a swing!)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »

Two great clips on Brian's FB rehearsing "Summer's gone" and "Pacific Coast Highway"   Cheesy
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »

Two great clips on Brian's FB rehearsing "Summer's gone" and "Pacific Coast Highway"   Cheesy

Bodes well.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Chalk n Numbers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »

OK, delurking just long enough to ask (with apologies if this has been answered elsewhere): what's with "The Beach Boys" being listed as one of Brian's supporting "friends" acts?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »

1) Why shouldn't BW select the people who sing for/with him? Do you think this concert is an open mic?
2) The concert and the recording of the concert are commercial products. The concert is a (semi-)controlled environment. Everything is controlled to a certain extent. Inviting concert goers does not make this concert a Potemkin village. We are in it for the music and the music will be awesome no matter who are in the front row.

Correct me if I misunderstood you.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:28:06 AM by The Legendary Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »

OK, delurking just long enough to ask (with apologies if this has been answered elsewhere): what's with "The Beach Boys" being listed as one of Brian's supporting "friends" acts?

What's your source on that? The official listing says Brian will be joined by fellow Beach Boys co-founder Al Jardine.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »

What's your source on that? The official listing says Brian will be joined by fellow Beach Boys co-founder Al Jardine.

Look at the picture on page 2 of this thread.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »

It means there will be members from those bands appearing onstage (Nate Reuss, Alan Jardine, etc)

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »

It means there will be members from those bands appearing onstage (Nate Reuss, Alan Jardine, etc)

I am sure that is what it means, but it doesn't say that.  If I knew nothing about the special or Brian's new album and saw that, I would assume it meant those bands in full.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »

Well, you would be momentarily confused had you seen that casting call for free tickets, then. It wasn't an ad for the show. Personally I think it's Bernie Kerik under direct orders from Melinda "The Enforcer" Wilson who is responsible for this terrible thing.

Still, four Beach Boys on stage tonight is gonna be pretty neat.

Rolling out of Baker!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:06:35 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Chalk n Numbers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »

I am sure that is what it means, but it doesn't say that.  If I knew nothing about the special or Brian's new album and saw that, I would assume it meant those bands in full.
Just to be clear, I didn't actually think Mike & Bruce would be opening for Cousin Brian. It just seemed like an odd, sloppy form of shorthand - especially in the context of recent conversations about inaccuracies in promotional materials.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:35 AM »

Video on Brian's facebook of rehearsing Pacific Coach Highway
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »

I suppose if it were actually promotional materials rather than a casting call in Backstage you'd have a fair point. Seems a bit of a reach in this case, but stretch away if it's more entertaining than the thought of this bunch of guys doing Pacific Coast Highway live.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »

This is how absurd some of this has become.

Al Jardine, Matt Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, Billy Hinsche...all of them on stage playing music with Brian Wilson in 2014.

Strip away all biases, all tendencies to gravitate toward one "camp" or another, and consider: Isn't THIS worthy of some attention, some fan excitement, some level of "that's really cool" kind of sentiment? For all of the fans on this board whom I *know* have a particular affinity for the 70's live touring band, look who showed up in Vegas to play Beach Boys songs on stage. Pretty cool if you ask me. I can't wait to hear the results.

And again to borrow a phrase I just read this week on the board, for Beach Boys fans isn't this something to be at least positive about? Or something positive to focus on? Or not...maybe that's the direction to take as evidenced by more than a few posts in this thread. Have at it. I don't get it.

I think it's awesome that all of these musicians will be making music together. If it's a one-time thing, or something which might happen again in the future, I wish I were there to hear it in person. 

At some point there can be a separation between relating everything to some divide between "sides" and whether Mike gets someone to play a show or Brian gets someone to play a show, versus *Beach Boys Fans* putting that bullshit aside and just enjoying what is in front of them. Or maybe it's beyond that point by now, who knows.

Enjoy the music, those who are fortunate enough to be in Vegas to see it firsthand.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chalk n Numbers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »

I suppose if it were actually promotional materials rather than a casting call in Backstage you'd have a fair point. Seems a bit of a reach in this case, but stretch away if it's more entertaining than the thought of this bunch of guys doing Pacific Coast Highway live.
Hmmm...well, just to be extra, extra clear - I was simply inquiring about what I took to be an infelicitous turn of phrase. No hidden agenda and no bias (well, I suppose if I do have a bias, it would fall on the Brian-centric side of things, as the board is currently constituted). For my part, I wish I were able to attend the show; I'm terribly excited that these folks are making live music together; and I eagerly look forward to the reviews (and the setlist).

Back to lurking status for me. Oh, for the good old days of the Smile Shop.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »

At least the good old days of passive aggressiveness are here to stay! Cheers and apologies for the snark. I'm way too hyper and in danger of transforming into pure energy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:52:47 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »

This is how absurd some of this has become.

Al Jardine, Matt Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, Billy Hinsche...all of them on stage playing music with Brian Wilson in 2014.

Strip away all biases, all tendencies to gravitate toward one "camp" or another, and consider: Isn't THIS worthy of some attention, some fan excitement, some level of "that's really cool" kind of sentiment? For all of the fans on this board whom I *know* have a particular affinity for the 70's live touring band, look who showed up in Vegas to play Beach Boys songs on stage. Pretty cool if you ask me. I can't wait to hear the results.

And again to borrow a phrase I just read this week on the board, for Beach Boys fans isn't this something to be at least positive about? Or something positive to focus on? Or not...maybe that's the direction to take as evidenced by more than a few posts in this thread. Have at it. I don't get it.

I think it's awesome that all of these musicians will be making music together. If it's a one-time thing, or something which might happen again in the future, I wish I were there to hear it in person. 

At some point there can be a separation between relating everything to some divide between "sides" and whether Mike gets someone to play a show or Brian gets someone to play a show, versus *Beach Boys Fans* putting that bullshit aside and just enjoying what is in front of them. Or maybe it's beyond that point by now, who knows.

Enjoy the music, those who are fortunate enough to be in Vegas to see it firsthand.  Smiley

This. Amen.

Enough Beach Boys to float my boat!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx