gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:21:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am not connected to the High Llamas...  (Read 6057 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:00:57 AM »

...but with recent activity in the BW @ RFH thread I thought it might be worth mentioning that the truly superb High Llamas, who I'm sure you all know, are playing at the same venue (more or less) in May. If you love Brian Wilson you'll love the High Llamas.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/music/gigs-contemporary/tickets/the-high-llamas-57636

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09:17 AM »

New record of no doubt pleasant but ultimately forgettable lounge pop coming out april 11th, too
http://www.highllamas.com/news.aspx

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:27:11 AM »

If you love Brian Wilson you'll love the High Llamas.

I disagree. I love their sound, very Brian-ish indeed. But I love Brian's music mostly for his outstanding songwriting, and the Llamas' songs are, like Hypehat said, forgettable.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52:37 AM »

Correct me if I'm off the mark here, but didn't Bruce play The High Llamas' album Hawaii to Brian who loved it, to the point that chief Llama Sean O'Hagan was seriously considered as a future BB producer and collaborator ? Didn't O'Hagan actually make some onstage appearances with the BB's, but ultimately pulled out of the project as he decided it wasn't for him ?
What's the full story on the BB's/High Llamas connection ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:26:32 AM by D409 » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »

Correct me if I'm off the mark here, but didn't Bruce play The High Llamas' album Hawaii to Brian who loved it, to the point that chief Llama Sean O'Hagan was seriously considered as a future BB producer and collaborator ? Didn't O'Hagan actually make some onstage appearances with the BB's, but ultimately pulled out of the project as he decided it wasn't for him ?

That would be awesome! Although, I suppose he has the gen x ears already, in the Wondermints. Which I believe has helped his recent albums quite a bit.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jason
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »

Brian should have hired neither anyone in the Wondermints nor anyone in the High Llamas to work with him. Jellyfish all the way.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »

http://uncanny1.blogspot.com/2005/05/brian-wilsonandy-paleysean-ohagan.html

Basically, I think everyone involved was a jack-ass except O'Hagan, who was just incredibly naive. Like, he's actually surprised  that Mike Love is a commercially minded asshole?

A Jellyfish collab would have been insanely awesome (Still might, Falkner did a cracking job with Daniel Johnston recently, so he can get results from 'difficult' artists), but it's not like he was doing anything terrible with Paley. He should have finished up those tracks on his own if the boys weren't going to. Then go AOR....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

SG7
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »

Brian should have hired neither anyone in the Wondermints nor anyone in the High Llamas to work with him. Jellyfish all the way.

LOL LOL
Jason
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »

The circus is gonna get me for that comment, I know it.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »

Basically, I think everyone involved was a jack-ass except O'Hagan, who was just incredibly naive. Like, he's actually surprised  that Mike Love is a commercially minded butthole?

A Jellyfish collab would have been insanely awesome (Still might, Falkner did a cracking job with Daniel Johnston recently, so he can get results from 'difficult' artists), but it's not like he was doing anything terrible with Paley. He should have finished up those tracks on his own if the boys weren't going to. Then go AOR....
Thanks for the link, I do remember Sean O'Hagan's account of this as related in Uncut (could've sworn it was Mojo, but there you go)...the story of yet another wasted opportunity for Brian and the BB's !
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »

I'm with Brother John. The Llamas are great. For me the best records are the ones after the 'New BW hype / Gideon Gaye' period. Snowbug is a wonderful album, Bach Ze my own favourite among a number of memorable tunes. Saw them open for Van Dyke Parks at The Royal Festival Hall some years ago - very excellent. Go see them if you get the chance!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »

w00t!

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »

I don't really understand how anyone could call the High Llamas' music forgettable. Sean O'Hagan is a prodigiously gifted composer and arranger, but he doesn't write songs so much as pieces of music with occasional vocals. He's not much of a singer, which is a shame, but most of the work focuses on very carefully constructed peices of music.

If you enjoy the pop sensibility of the BBs then possibly the Llamas are a bit dry for you. I suppose you either get them or you don't, but I think that musically there is much in common between BW and SO'H.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98aWehsK00E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1FvDfvBnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbYawX_NmA8

The soundtrack he did the La Vie D'Artiste with Tim Gane from Stereolab was just sublime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf35t3hp4bQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tb6KFtxK5s

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 03:22:34 AM »

I'm with Brother John. The Llamas are great. For me the best records are the ones after the 'New BW hype / Gideon Gaye' period. Snowbug is a wonderful album, Bach Ze my own favourite among a number of memorable tunes. Saw them open for Van Dyke Parks at The Royal Festival Hall some years ago - very excellent. Go see them if you get the chance!

I need to be in the mood for the Llamas. But then, they're just great. And, they wrote the longest outros in the whole history of recorded music.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 04:03:42 AM »

Basically, I think everyone involved was a jack-ass except O'Hagan, who was just incredibly naive. Like, he's actually surprised  that Mike Love is a commercially minded butthole?

There was a BW - Jellyfish attempt around the Don Was years. Nothing happened. As for O'Hagan's story with the BBs, it's funny how he fails to see, throughout the whole episode how uninterested BW was in working with him

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 04:27:58 AM »

I want to love the Llamas, I really do, but there are only a handful of tunes that stick for me. As a producer/arranger, his work with Stereolab and SFA is great, but he needs better tunes to work with than his own.
Some review I read of a late period album said something along the lines of that it's 'studied', which is a rather naff complaint to make about highly arranged pop, but is where it fails next to his influences. Bacharach or Wilson had, I don't know, a rather more adventurous streak than O'Hagan possesses.

They do, however, make for surprisingly good travelling music - Hawaii has been my soundtrack for long train journeys of late. And I think if you gave O'Hagan good melodies to work with, he'll kick up the best results. Like this, an inexplicable B-Side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MglG2KfpKc

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »

I want to love the Llamas, I really do, but there are only a handful of tunes that stick for me. As a producer/arranger, his work with Stereolab and SFA is great, but he needs better tunes to work with than his own.
Some review I read of a late period album said something along the lines of that it's 'studied', which is a rather naff complaint to make about highly arranged pop, but is where it fails next to his influences. Bacharach or Wilson had, I don't know, a rather more adventurous streak than O'Hagan possesses.

They do, however, make for surprisingly good travelling music - Hawaii has been my soundtrack for long train journeys of late. And I think if you gave O'Hagan good melodies to work with, he'll kick up the best results. Like this, an inexplicable B-Side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MglG2KfpKc

I've always pretty much felt the same way.  "Studied" is an excellent description - I appreciate the skill of his arrangements, but there's nothing in them that moves me like a Brian Wilson production.  Listenting to the Llamas can be enjoyable if I'm in the right mood, but a lot of the time it feels a bit like well-executed musical color-by-numbers.

I do agree that he's probably at his best when working with better material, songs that aren't his own.  Had Brian been interested, and the typically problematic Beach Boys dynamics removed from the equation, I think he and Brian could have done some fantastic work together.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 12:53:45 AM »

LOVE "Anna Lee, the Healer" on the Caroline Now tribute CD.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 06:25:18 PM »

I love this artwork, btw

Oh jesus, that's post #1000? I'll get me coat....

Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »

moved this post to a new thread I started
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:23:16 AM by Les Garçons de la plage » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 12:09:27 PM »

They really should release their slower, loungey albums as 'The Low Llamas' and more prudent material as 'The High Llamas'

I'm not a fan of listening to TR-808 loops for an hour
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »

I am living proof this isn't accurate

O'hagan is a c*ck as well.  Oh well.

Good string arranger though
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:27:12 PM by PaulTMA » Logged
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »

forget the High Llamas, Jellyfish or anyone else

the one band id LOVE to see contribute to a BW/BBs album is AIR

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »

What disastrous event happened in 2012 that I suddenly got over 4000 posts in about a year? Oh yeah, a degree and a job....

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx