gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 09:31:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "tape trading": What is out there?  (Read 29646 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »

Well, if others are doing it, I might as well. *shrugs* Would anybody like to please make my day, regarding any 1981-83 recording?

P.S. before this thread goes down the tubes, let's all give a big round of applause for The Real Beach Boy for helping(by means of doing it all himself. lol) get this list made.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:22:57 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2010, 05:11:47 AM »

Too bad the symphonic Mike and Bruce Chicago show from 2007 and the unplugged 1993 10-93 Chcago show haven't been booted. They were great and the later was probably the very first unplugged set.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2010, 05:33:30 AM »

I'd be really interested in hearing a Symphonic Mike & Bruce show - the instrumentation of the group, even of the more recent periods, have still been a bit rinky-dink keyboards for my liking. Plus, i just like hearing the BB's music done with an orchestra - I would equally like to hear a Pet Sounds date with the strings, and VDP's 'Brian Wilson Overture' is the most fantasticest thing i have heard in a while....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:36:23 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »

I'd be really interested in hearing a Symphonic Mike & Bruce show - the instrumentation of the group, even of the more recent periods, have still been a bit rinky-dink keyboards for my liking. Plus, i just like hearing the BB's music done with an orchestra - I would equally like to hear a Pet Sounds date with the strings, and VDP's 'Brian Wilson Overture' is the most fantasticest thing i have heard in a while....

The "Brian Wilson Overture" is out there - but its a crummy audience recording and some asshats talk and/or sing through the entire thing.  I wish he had used a recording from that series of concerts for the Pet Sounds live album.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2010, 07:12:42 PM »

I know a lot of people like to bash Mike & Bruce's shows, but the symphonic shows are amazing!  Even though they're only audience recordings, these shows are a treat for whoever hears them.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2010, 05:00:52 AM »

The "Brian Wilson Overture" is out there - but its a crummy audience recording and some asshats talk and/or sing through the entire thing.  I wish he had used a recording from that series of concerts for the Pet Sounds live album.

I've got it, and find the asshats a little endearing - at least they shut up during the Smile stuff! But yeah, apparently they didn't feel the strings were worth the extra cost to license for the record, or something.

I'm guessing the Hollywood Bowl show is the only time the BW Overture has been played? And did VDP 'compose' it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2010, 06:43:18 AM »

I've got it, and find the asshats a little endearing - at least they shut up during the Smile stuff! But yeah, apparently they didn't feel the strings were worth the extra cost to license for the record, or something.

I'm guessing the Hollywood Bowl show is the only time the BW Overture has been played? And did VDP 'compose' it?

VDP arranged it, and did the link pieces. The crappy audience tape comes from Altanta, Georgia, and the 'suite' was played at every venue where the orchestra was used on that 2000 tour. The suite comprised:

California Girls
 Good Vibrations
 In My Room
 Bach Cantata 147 (Lady Lynda)
 Time To Get Alone
 'Til I Die
 California Girls Reprise
 Don't Worry Baby
 With Me Tonight
 New World
 Surfer Girl
 When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
 Heroes and Villians
 Cabinessence
 Heroes and Villians Reprise
 The Warmth of the Sun
 Surf's Up
 Wonderful
 Sloop John B
 Sail On Sailor
 Good Vibrations Reprise
 Our Prayer

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »

Thanks for the info, AGD - i only have it from Project Smile. I take it that's the only recording of it then?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2010, 07:19:12 AM »

VDP arranged it, and did the link pieces. The crappy audience tape comes from Altanta, Georgia, and the 'suite' was played at every venue where the orchestra was used on that 2000 tour. The suite comprised:

California Girls
 Good Vibrations
 In My Room
 Time To Get Alone
 'Til I Die
 California Girls Reprise
 Don't Worry Baby
 With Me Tonight
 New World
Surfer Girl
 Heroes and Villians
 Cabinessence
 The Warmth of the Sun
 Surf's Up
 Wonderful
 Sloop John B
 Sail On Sailor
 Good Vibrations Reprise
 Our Prayer

What song is this? I've heard the recording of the BW Overture, I dont know this tune. Please tell me its not from Aladin.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »

California Girls
 Good Vibrations
 In My Room
 Time To Get Alone
 'Til I Die
 California Girls Reprise
 Don't Worry Baby
 With Me Tonight
 New World
Surfer Girl
 Heroes and Villians
 Cabinessence
 The Warmth of the Sun
 Surf's Up
 Wonderful
 Sloop John B
 Sail On Sailor
 Good Vibrations Reprise
 Our Prayer

What song is this? I've heard the recording of the BW Overture, I dont know this tune. Please tell me its not from Aladin.

"New World" as in by Dvorak.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »

I sat with Melinda at that show. It was okay once the "Pet Sounds" portion began but the suite was performed in the middle of a torrential downpour.

California Girls
 Good Vibrations
 In My Room
 Time To Get Alone
 'Til I Die
 California Girls Reprise
 Don't Worry Baby
 With Me Tonight
 New World
 Surfer Girl
 Heroes and Villians
 Cabinessence
 The Warmth of the Sun
 Surf's Up
 Wonderful
 Sloop John B
 Sail On Sailor
 Good Vibrations Reprise
 Our Prayer
MBE
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »

They really shocked me by coming close to Brian's band creatively during those shows. Even the surf tunes had some really dirty guitar that was nice. I would NEVER see a hits show by them but they and their band have talent when they choose to apply it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2011, 12:14:37 AM »

I thought I would bring this topic back for a little bit, because I have a question about the Seattle 1970 show that Brian did filling in for Mike. Does Brian seem nervous or uninterested? I mean, from 1976-ish on, no matter how good Brian sounded(he had his good moments with the bad), it was always rather obvious that he would rather have been anywhere else but onstage. Does he show any of that in the 1970 show?

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »

The 'BW' Overture was great, because that was still during the time when he wouldn't talk about SMiLE, and to hear the H&V and CE song fragments-done by VDP, no less-was a thrill. My memory of the show I went to was Brian standing near the edge of the stage a good hour or so beforehand, staring blankly into the audience for a good 15 minutes without moving an inch.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »

I thought I would bring this topic back for a little bit, because I have a question about the Seattle 1970 show that Brian did filling in for Mike. Does Brian seem nervous or uninterested? I mean, from 1976-ish on, no matter how good Brian sounded(he had his good moments with the bad), it was always rather obvious that he would rather have been anywhere else but onstage. Does he show any of that in the 1970 show?

Very difficult to tell, on account of the tape quality being several notches below 'dire'.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2011, 06:04:43 PM »

One more question. Somebody in another thread mentioned a 1990 show where Al Jardine left in the middle of the show, in mid song, and that it's rather noticeable. What did they mean by that? Does Al say anything to the audience before leaving?

Jason
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2011, 11:30:51 PM »

Al just removed his guitar from his neck and walked offstage. Upon being questioned as to where he was going, he replied "got a plane to catch." At least that's what AGD has told us.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2011, 12:06:44 AM »

Al just removed his guitar from his neck and walked offstage. Upon being questioned as to where he was going, he replied "got a plane to catch." At least that's what AGD has told us.
I was just listening to a recording of this show last night. I couldn't really make out anything of interest though, except for a few comments on Brian. He apperently didn't seem to be in a good mood, going by a few audible audience comments.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2011, 12:16:28 AM »

Circle Star Theater, San Carlos CA, May 6th 1990.  There were two shows that night, btw.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »

Circle Star Theater, San Carlos CA, May 6th 1990.  There were two shows that night, btw.

And if I'm not mistaken, the circulating tape is only about half of one of the shows.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »

Is the circulating tape the show where Al left in mid show?

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »

Reviving this thread, there's something on here that I didn't see, or may have missed, that's been driving me crazy the past couple of years. Here's the backdrop:

Back in the day, I had a cassette that I acquired in the 70s. On it was an assortment of very lo-fi recordings (i.e. mic to TV) from the band's late 60s television spots. Most being from the '68-'69 period (e.g. the aforementioned Douglas, Frost and Carson shows, maybe a Dick Cavett one as well, along with some other earlier filler...the "Karen" theme, etc.). Tagged on at the end was what appeared to be an FM radio, in-studio performance of "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring." This is what I'm trying to remember...the whos, wheres and whens of that performance.

IIRC, it was most likely an east coast station -- perhaps WBCN in Boston. The performance was intro'd and outro'd by some DJ with a great, groovy late 60s, early 70s radio name that I can't even remember. I also seem to remember that after they did the number, there was some brief random chatter by the BBs. Considering the above particulars, and with Bruce on there as well, the performance would've obviously dated from somewhere between '68 and '72. FWIW, I believe I may have also sent a copy to Brad E, or a few others, during the old days of the PSML.

Does anyone happen to have this, or does it ring a bell? I have no idea where I put the tape, and the faded details are absolutely driving me bonkers. Namely the DJ in question and what station it may have been. Going from memory, it sounded like an actual appearance at the station vs. some kind of tape that might have been sent over to play. Anyone?
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2011, 02:46:56 AM »

They sang Hearts at The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson on May 2, 1968. Maybe in New York??

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2011, 02:57:25 AM »

I never knew that they did The Tonight Show way back then. I would assume that no footage has survived, judging by how many of the older shows were erased.

MBE
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »

I have heard on tape a Mike Douglas show from 1968 that the video seems to be lost. Funny I know it's around but I can't seem to score a tape of Mike and Al's apperence from 1976 on Mike Douglas either.  The Beach Boys did the Tonight Show in 1968 but I haven't heard it.

As far as the 1970 shows go Brian looks a lot more together then he was from 1976 on. His voice was still in good shape. As he was pretty great in the studio in 1970 when he felt like being there, I am sure he has never matched his 1970 stage apperences since. He hadn't declined all that much yet. In fact I would say 1970-71 was still classic Brian.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx