gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680792 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:12:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life of Tragic Beach Boy Dennis Wilson Heading to Cinemas  (Read 8723 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »

I love Denny -- but BB biopics have a terrible track record, so my expectations are being kept very, very low. That's all I'm going to say, other than I hope the beards are less fakey this time around.

Life of Tragic Beach Boy Dennis Wilson Heading to Cinemas
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/life-of-tragic-beach-boy-dennis-wilson-heading-to-cinemas_1157441

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:54:55 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »

Miller adds, "The soundtrack will feature Dennis' music from Pacific Ocean Blue as well as previously unreleased Dennis Wilson music and music from the Beach Boys as well.

The part about previously unreleased music is exciting.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:47:59 PM »

I love Denny -- but BB biopics have a terrible track record, so my expectations are being kept very, very low. That's all I'm going to say, other than I hope the beards are less fakey this time around.

Life of Tragic Beach Boy Dennis Wilson Heading to Cinemas
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/life-of-tragic-beach-boy-dennis-wilson-heading-to-cinemas_1157441

Ah. Right. Um.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:51:30 PM »

This could be so good, or sooo bad

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

Excuse my ignorance. Who is the guy in the photo? Is that even a Beach Boy? Would it not have made more sense to use a photo of Dennis?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »

It doesn't look too bad.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »

Titled 'The Drummer'. Sounds ok!

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/2010/08/10/dennis-wilson-beach-boys-drums-up-a-posthumous-movie/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »

Excuse my ignorance. Who is the guy in the photo? Is that even a Beach Boy? Would it not have made more sense to use a photo of Dennis?

That's Christian Love. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:54:59 AM »

I usually enjoy this particular kind of movie as long as I keep in mind it's basically a work of fiction. Even thought "Control" was mostly decent although I don't even like the music of Joy Division.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:01:50 AM »

The track record of the producers augurs quite well, IMHO. Cooperation of the family even better. I have one question: 6 years, can that be called 'shortly'?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »

How's that Brian biopic coming along?? LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:55 AM »

Eh, you mean that one announced in 1988? With Jeff Bridges as Brian, and William Hurt as dr. Eugene Landy? It seems it's gone the way of Smile...

...as it was planned in the days when Bri was in treatment with Landy, who controlled everything, it seems only a good thing that it's 'still in the can', metaphorically speaking... though I think both are superb actors, Bridges could've made a wonderful Brian...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »

Eh, you mean that one announced in 1988? With Jeff Bridges as Brian, and William Hurt as dr. Eugene Landy? It seems it's gone the way of Smile...

...as it was planned in the days when Bri was in treatment with Landy, who controlled everything, it seems only a good thing that it's 'still in the can', metaphorically speaking... though I think both are superb actors, Bridges could've made a wonderful Brian...

They had another planned around the time Brian was inducted into the UK Music Hall Of Fame.

That's still "In Development"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »

Sounds like it has potential. Jon Stebbins and Ed Roach, do you guys know anything more about this?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »

Sounds like it has potential. Jon Stebbins and Ed Roach, do you guys know anything more about this?
As of today I have no involvement with this production team.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 10:59:48 AM »

Sounds cool!
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 01:16:54 PM »

By your choice, Jon? Did you advise the production team during preparations until now?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »

i actually wouldn't be skeptical about this one guys.  these are legit film makers.  i've actually heard of their movie haha.

but, i'm curious who the "name" would be.

CASTING IDEAS COMMENCE!!

he hasn't really done movies like this, but he's a great actor, and since it's the last 6 years of dennis life,  though i suppose he might be too big a name....anyway. aaron eckhart.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »

By your choice, Jon? Did you advise the production team during preparations until now?

I think he means he hasn't been asked at all... at least I hope so. They could use people like Jon.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »

I think he means he hasn't been asked at all... at least I hope so. They could use people like Jon.
I haven't been asked. Thanks.
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »

"The music is another character in the film..."

Always hated it when writers/filmmakers say stuff like this. 

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:57 AM »

i actually wouldn't be skeptical about this one guys.  these are legit film makers.  i've actually heard of their movie haha.

CASTING IDEAS COMMENCE!!

he hasn't really done movies like this, but he's a great actor, and since it's the last 6 years of dennis life,  though i suppose he might be too big a name....anyway. aaron eckhart.

He would be a good choice. So good looking, even I can see it , and I'm a BLOKE!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:21 AM »

My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »

CASTING IDEAS COMMENCE!!

Very good call on Eckhart! I hope someone with clout and taste is able to advise them on the selection of unreleased D.W. and B.B. music to include. The access that the filmmakers have apparently been given to this material is rather exciting.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »

I'm reading what the rest of you are, and I'm thinking... "train wreck". Just feels bad. Think it's the phrase "family involvement", which usually translates as "whitewash". Which, of course, would make the whole thing pointless.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx