gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681615 Posts in 27646 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 20, 2024, 03:03:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th anniversary latest  (Read 36935 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2010, 01:07:51 AM »

I've been to several of BW's shows where he played bass for one or two songs, but it never sounded to me like I was actually hearing two bass guitars. If he was plugged in at all his bass must've been pretty low in the mix.

He was plugged in at the one concert I went to,an but the first note he hit he kinda flubbed...but it sounded cool. But mostly only a couple of notes then it was a prop...to the point where he acted like it was a rifle.  Going on 6 years now yet I remember that show clear as day.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Paulos
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »

Why does Brian mostly just sit at his keyboard without touching it when performing? We all know that he can play very well, is it a confidence thing?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2010, 09:34:08 AM »

U.S. fall tour '09 he played -- audibly -- on almost every song.

Every tour before that, pretty much, he would have at least one or two songs (usually "In My Room" and the intro to "Marcella" or the break in "Wind Chimes") where he played, too.

The whole set-up is designed to give him the most breathing room possible to sing well -- the band doesn't really need another keyboardist. But if he wants to play, he can. And given that it gives his hands a place to rest if he likes -- well, that's fine too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »

The whole set-up is designed to give him the most breathing room possible to sing well -- the band doesn't really need another keyboardist. But if he wants to play, he can. And given that it gives his hands a place to rest if he likes -- well, that's fine too.

Problem is... most of the time, he doesn't. I cherish an early UK tour review from NME (which was a rave, btw) which, when discussing "Surf's Up" stated "Wilson doesn't so much sing the song as semaphore it".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »

Yes -- I remember when the hand signals started -- about a year(?) into the touring. And everyone was like: "What the heck?"

He's done a few shows/appearances just sitting on a stool, which were interesting. I always wondered why they didn't pursue that. (I guess the answer came last fall -- he might just decide to play the thing throughout the show.)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »

odds Brian plays bass for hypothetical concerts? wagers?  for most of show?

I was thinking about this (and I actually wanted keep this thread on the right topic). Anyways, what would they do with Brian for these reunion shows. Put him on the side of the stage with the grand piano? Put him on one side of Mike with a keyboard that doesn't get played, and Bruce on another side with another keyboard that doesn't get played? And then Al and Dave thrown in there somewhere? I honestly think Blondie and Ricky should be part of this thing too, but knowing the BBs, probably not. It doesn't really "fit in" cleanly with the whole BB thing, although neither does the whole David Marks situation either. And seeing that they will probably have played on everything minus "Kokomo" that will be played live, why not?

My preference would be to have Brian do the late 70s/early 80s thing and play the grand and do his vocals from there, and then "play" bass on a few songs just to it like the old videos we watch from the early 60s with Brian and Mike up front. And to really bring this thread back to the topic, who would you want there. Here's my take:

Brian Wilson: Vocals/Keys/Bass
Al Jardine: Guitar/Vocals
Mike Love: Vocals
David Marks: Guitar
Blondie Chaplin: Bass/Guitar
Ricky Fataar: Drums
Bruce Johnston: Cheerleader

backed by Brian and Al's bands, or a good mixture thereof.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »

It doesn't really "fit in" cleanly with the whole BB thing, although neither does the whole David Marks situation either.
Would you please elaborate regarding David Marks? What situation are we talking here?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:54 PM »

Just that he was there like originally, and played on classic records, and then was gone, and wasn't there for the "super-classic" era of Today/Pet Sounds/Smile Sessions. And that how his and Al's situation of who's original? It was just messy. Just like having two dudes in the early 70s play on some pretty cool but not very commercial records. You know, just not fitting in with the classic, Mike Love version of the Beach Boys.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2010, 02:23:35 PM »

Al & David just played a show together in New York. They are in a band together right now. I know David has a personal issue with Mike at the moment, but he has always had a relationship with the band for their entire career. And, he was included on the monument in Hawthorne. David fits in just fine!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »

David Marks was as responsible for CREATING the "classic, Mike Love version of the Beach Boys" as Brian or Carl.  His guitar was/is unique on those early albums.  If you'd ever seen/heard him play live in any of the BB band incarnations going around you'd know the difference immediately.  You could be blindfolded and hear the difference between David and anyone else playing the same stuff.

I can't define it but I know when I hear it.  Go figure.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2010, 07:32:26 AM »

Mike said that Brian was going to be working with them on music and studio stuff, which Brian has basically said he'd do about 4 or 5 years ago.   So Mike's not really lying, he's just being a little deceitful. 

Big concert, Mike and Brian on stage singing together?  Never happen.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2010, 07:35:52 AM »

But mostly only a couple of notes then it was a prop...to the point where he acted like it was a rifle. 

You've got to ask yourself a question Fear 2 Stop.  Would you rather

A. go to a concert and see Brian play a bass well

or

B. go to a concert and see Brian aim his bass at people acting like it was a rifle.

....I think we all know that B is the best possible scenario here.  Wish I was there. 
oldsurferdude
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2010, 09:00:52 AM »

Mike said that Brian was going to be working with them on music and studio stuff, which Brian has basically said he'd do about 4 or 5 years ago.   So Mike's not really lying, he's just being a little deceitful. 

And it shouldn't.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »

And it shouldn't.

Why not ?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2010, 11:45:44 AM »

But mostly only a couple of notes then it was a prop...to the point where he acted like it was a rifle. 

You've got to ask yourself a question Fear 2 Stop.  Would you rather

A. go to a concert and see Brian play a bass well

or

B. go to a concert and see Brian aim his bass at people acting like it was a rifle.

....I think we all know that B is the best possible scenario here.  Wish I was there. 

Oh, the latter! I wasn't putting Brian down...hell, that was one of my favorite parts of the show!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »

Oh I know, just having fun.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »

And it shouldn't.

Why not ?
Fair question-and I don't have a concise answer. Aside from the obvious ($$$$$), I just kinda think its pointless. And with the exception of the die hards, I don't think the average Joe really gives a sh*t. And empty seats would not be good . Seeing Brian on stage with  Mike seems like a hideous joke or nightmare that just is not going to mesh well at all. I know, I know, its well documented here that my regard for ML is that of a sewer rat-so  crucify me but I've got some company(go to mike love is a jerk .com). Suffice to say that the whole shebang , for me, would be an exercise in sheer hypocrisy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2010, 10:47:38 PM »

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's unescapable.  I don't think it'll happen, but if it does something like they're talking about is something managers hash out, there won't be any Mike opressing Brian or anything.  It'll be "Mikes Manager and Brian's Manager agreed that they should do a show together" type stuff.  LOL

In the end it's much ado about nothing, we're talking about music.  I don't think it'll happen, but stranger things have happened regarding these folks. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2010, 12:05:51 AM »

And it shouldn't.

Why not ?
Fair question-and I don't have a concise answer. Aside from the obvious ($$$$$), I just kinda think its pointless. And with the exception of the die hards, I don't think the average Joe really gives a sh*t. And empty seats would not be good . Seeing Brian on stage with  Mike seems like a hideous joke or nightmare that just is not going to mesh well at all. I know, I know, its well documented here that my regard for ML is that of a sewer rat-so  crucify me but I've got some company(go to mike love is a jerk .com). Suffice to say that the whole shebang , for me, would be an exercise in sheer hypocrisy.

Suppose Brian was cool with the notion. ?

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2010, 04:41:23 AM »

And it shouldn't.

Why not ?

Suppose Brian was cool with the notion. ?

I'm honestly not sure that Brian's presence is really going to add much to the whole thing.  Would he even bother singing anything?  Sure, it would be cool if they all got together, but I just don't think this is the "mega-event" that fans want it to be.  These guys are all pushing 70, they don't really get along that well with each other, and their best singer has long since passed away.  I would be much more interested in a new box set of some sort being released; maybe something similar to the Endless Harmony and Hawthorne, CA compilations.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2010, 04:44:20 AM »

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's unescapable.  I don't think it'll happen, but if it does something like they're talking about is something managers hash out, there won't be any Mike opressing Brian or anything.  It'll be "Mikes Manager and Brian's Manager agreed that they should do a show together" type stuff.  LOL

In the end it's much ado about nothing, we're talking about music.  I don't think it'll happen, but stranger things have happened regarding these folks. 

I can see the interviews now...

Mike: "Well, it was the 50th, and my wife and managers thought it was a great idea...."

Brian: "Hey, that's my line!"

Grin

Not so wild about the idea of the reunion. So much could go so ridiculously wrong it's kind of scary to think about.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's unescapable.
Inescapable! That's just inbelieveable.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »

PLEASE tell me you're not the kind of butthole who calls people out on spelling errors on a messageboard.  

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unescapable

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inbelieveable
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:06:40 PM by Ron » Logged
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2010, 06:19:56 PM »

PLEASE tell me you're not the kind of butthole who calls people out on spelling errors on a messageboard.  

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unescapable

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inbelieveable
I'm makin' a joke man, about hypocrisy, chastising your spelling error while having one of my own.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »

Regarding Brian playing piano/keyboard or bass and singing, can he still mentally sing and play simultaniously? I'm not trying to belittle or insult the man. Landy's "medicine" did some very real, permanent damage. Does Brian still have the concentration to both play and sing at the same time? For an extended period, I mean. Several songs in a row. I'm sure Brian could probably handle a part of a song, or even a complete song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx