gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681111 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 11:03:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Beach Boys" MFP 1382 - Best compilation ever  (Read 7770 times)
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »

BB compilations are a dime a dozen in record bins as I'm sure you all know but I was drawn to this weird one, from probably about '68.. check out the track listing! I dunno whether Music for Pleasure only got the rights to a handful of random songs, or someone working there was a 1337 BBs fan with a sense of humour or what... Certaintly not a bad selection of songs but not your typical greatest hits. I'm surprised it got printed at all.

Side One:
How She Boogalooed It
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
Car Crazy Cutie
We'll Run Away
Misirlou
Whistle In   (LOL?)

Side Two:
Summertime Blues
Anna Lee the Healer
Boogie Woodie
Tell Me Why
Louie Louie
Good to My Baby
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:11:52 PM by art rush » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »

The songs don't seem to run together well

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »

I wonder if anyone from that company bothered to listen to the record before they had them sent to shops... Undecided
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »

Surfin' Safari - "Summertime Blues"
Surfin' USA - "Miserlou"
Surfer Girl - "Boogie Woodie"
Little Deuce Coupe - "Car Crazy Cutie"
Shut Down Vol. 2 - "Louie Louie"
All Summer Long - "We'll Run Away"
Today - "Good To My Baby"
Party - "Tell Me Why"
Pet Sounds - "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)"
Smiley Smile - "Whistle In"
Wild Honey - "How She Boogalooed It"
Friends - "Anna Lee, The Healer"

Did that compiler have something against Summer Days (And Summer Nights)?  police
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that too.  The only other '62-'68 album that's missing is Concert.  It looks like they wanted to include one track from all of the albums.  They must have been using a dartboard for song selection.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:35:49 AM »

Looks like a fun album with innocence and lots of rhythm. Good for in the car, methinks.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:34:44 AM »

They must have been using a dartboard for song selection.

At first it does seem 100% random, but if the deal was "One song per album and no singles", it's somewhat reasonable I guess...
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 08:51:42 AM »

It's also strange when you consider that Music for Pleasure was the budget label of EMI in the UK in the 60's and 70's. So they should have been able to clear BB material from Capitol, which they owned.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »

Any comp that features Anna Lee The Healer is 100% fine with me.  Smokin
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 07:43:58 PM »

Any comp that features Anna Lee The Healer is 100% fine with me.  Smokin

Yeah reckon. And "Whistle In"!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:25:41 AM »

Along with 20 Golden Greats, this was the first BB album I owned. I bought them secondhand for a combined £2 in the mid-90s. I listened to it as i read Steven Gaines' book and I was hooked.

The songs are so bizarre, and the I still dig this out quite often because they do flow well together.

Boogie Woodie? Anna Lee the Healer? Whistle In? I'd love a modern BB or BW album with this much simplicity and variation.

This gets my vote for best BB compilation. Narrowly ahead of Greatest Hits Vol.3 from 1968(?).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »

i've got that album, but it's a 2-LP set, the 2nd record isn't as random, but it ends with summertime blues randomly....Drive-In and All I want to Do are featured as well

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Phil H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 10:19:44 AM »

I played that album to death when I first bought it when it was released in the UK back  in June 1970. I still have it to this day, although now looking a little sad, it brings back fond memories of happy times.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »

I think that of all Beach Boys compilations, this one 'flows' best:

"Sail On, Sailor" (Brian Wilson/Tandyn Almer/Jack Rieley/Ray Kennedy/Van Dyke Parks) – 3:18
"Sloop John B" (Trad. Arr. Brian Wilson) – 2:56
"God Only Knows" (Brian Wilson/Tony Asher) – 2:50
"Darlin'" (Brian Wilson) – 2:12
"Add Some Music to Your Day" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love/Joe Knott) – 3:34
"Wouldn't It Be Nice" (Brian Wilson/Tony Asher/Mike Love) – 2:22
"Good Vibrations" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) – 3:36
"Do It Again" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) – 2:25
"Caroline, No" (Brian Wilson/Tony Asher) – 2:18
"Friends" (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Dennis Wilson/Al Jardine) – 2:30
"Surf's Up" (Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks) – 4:12
"Heroes and Villains" (Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks) – 3:37

It's a compilation of highlights from 1966-1972 and was released by Brother/Reprise as their 'response' to "Endless Summer" and "Spirit Of America".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

i've got that album, but it's a 2-LP set, the 2nd record isn't as random, but it ends with summertime blues randomly....Drive-In and All I want to Do are featured as well

this one?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »

made a few more pictures from my collection... I like these as well...

and, OK, this one doesn't seem to be as odd as one would expect in this topic. But what the heck is Cherry Cherry Coupe doing there?

.... well there is an explanation: this is a late 60ies South Africanbest-of lp. They probably took a few singles, overthere CCP was the b-side of the Friends 45. (and in case you wondered: Do You Wanna Dance was the b-side of the Wild Honey 45)

I have a few more comps with just the greatest hits, except for one. In the Netherlands a few best-of's also have The Girl From New York City on it.  and I don't have a clue why that song got on the tracklist as well (although I don't mind at all, I like it a lot).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:32:32 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »

this one?

Look at the first and last tracks.... proper value for money there  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »

Yeah Smile Holland, that's it!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »

this one?

i got about a dozen of that one...there was a time, back in the 60's and 70's, that i could not pass up any lp, 45, magazine article i saw.....  Roll Eyes

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 02:50:38 PM »

I betcha I could make a more bizarre and random track listing than some of those.
How about:

Side one
1. Gettin' Hungry
2. Our Car Club
3. Here Today
4. Do You Remember
5. I'm Bugged At My Old Man
6. Cuckoo Clock
7. Never Learn Not To Love

Side two
1. This Car Of Mine
2. Hully Gully
3. Cherry, Cherry Coupe
4. Diamond Head
5. Finders Keepers
6. I'm So Young
7. Mama Says

And of course the LP would have to have either a picture of the Beach Boys from 1963 or a picture of surfers on the cover, or both. Zany stuff.

I always had a weird fascination with those myriad BBs comps that have no rhyme or reason. I think it would be fun to sequence something like that.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx