gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:16:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower and Surf's Up To Be Reissued on Vinyl!  (Read 10696 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:01 PM »

But as for colored vinyl, has there ever been a BB picture disc?  (other than some obscure Japanese pressing)

Yeah, I have an LA (Light Album) picture disc. British, I believe.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 02:52:50 AM »

But as for colored vinyl, has there ever been a BB picture disc?  (other than some obscure Japanese pressing)

Plus:
- a 12'' maxisingle picturedisc of Happy Endings (can't find a picture on the web right now)

- a 1961-recordings best of called "25 Years Later"

- a 7'' single of Surfin' USA (forgot the B-side)
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/7-Picture-Disc-Beach-Boys-Surfin-USA-Surfin-Safa_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ310122309732#ebayphotohosting

- a 7'' single with Status Quo

- a shapedisc of Wipe Out (Hamburger-shaped, how appropriate ...)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »

Is that Brian's dressing-gown from the 70s?

(sorry, bathrobe)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:20:49 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »

Plus:
- a 12'' maxisingle picturedisc of Happy Endings (can't find a picture on the web right now)

- a 1961-recordings best of called "25 Years Later"

- a 7'' single of Surfin' USA (forgot the B-side)
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/7-Picture-Disc-Beach-Boys-Surfin-USA-Surfin-Safa_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ310122309732#ebayphotohosting

- a 7'' single with Status Quo

- a shapedisc of Wipe Out (Hamburger-shaped, how appropriate ...)

hey sh...i have all those also..kinda cool...plus there was a christmas single shaped like a green christmas tree.no pic on it but odd just the same.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
MBE
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »

I can't see the front of the burger
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »

...plus there was a christmas single shaped like a green christmas tree.no pic on it but odd just the same.

That´s "Little St. NicK" by the Surf Raiders (Erika Records E-104)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 02:51:27 AM »

I can't see the front of the burger

darn, it disappeared again... just a moment...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:42:57 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »

Yikes that's scarey. At least they didn't put 1982 Brian in there.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »

The beauty of living near a Tower Rcords, can't wait to get my hands on these.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2009, 04:11:35 AM »

these seem to be out now. anyone heard them?

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 07:21:07 AM »

I thought Tower went out of business.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »

still one in Dublin Ireland, kept the name and logo etc but is actually an independent store.

records were gone when i went in on Sunday. guess wild honey in stereo got there before me.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »

still one in Dublin Ireland, kept the name and logo etc but is actually an independent store.

records were gone when i went in on Sunday. guess wild honey in stereo got there before me.

I bet he waited outside and  took photos with his cellphone to preserve your disillusion for eternity... goes to show how true friendships flower on an internet board, heh?  Smokin

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »

ha ha, i think i can wait for the next batch to come in  Grin

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »

Question about the Sunflower analogue master:  Wouldn't the 2000 twofer have been mastered from the analogue master tapes?  What's the story here?  Was the album remixed, what's all the objections?

Regarding vinyl reissues:  I can't imagine there's anybody today not -- first digitizing -- then mastering, cleaning, boosting, EQ'ing in the digital realm -- then pressing to vinyl.  I've always been somewhat suspect/disappointed with that prospect.  I think analogue should be kept totally analogue.  As well, I also believe you shouldn't REISSUE on vinyl, unless you do a total REISSUE.  Package and all.  Go all out, you know?

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »

FYI - These two albums were remastered especially for this release.  We were finally able to locate all of the first generation mixdown masters for the SURF'S UP LP (which were scattered over a number of source reels), and this may have been the first time that SUNFLOWER has been remastered from the first generation tapes, as the tape box itself had been mislabeled.  Mark Linett did a great job with these vintage source tapes, the two albums sound great, and I'm hoping we'll be able to redo the CD versions as well now that we have these new masters to work with.

Also, there's a little surprise in the SUNFLOWER LP.  I found an interesting unused item filed away with the surviving artwork elements, and Tom Recchion at Capitol was inspired to integrate it into the package....

Alan
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »

Thanks for the info, dedication and effort by you and all concerned.

We can always count on you to go the extra mile and get things right (or better) inasmuch as you are able with the leeway and budget allotted to you. Smiley

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 05:00:23 AM »

That's great news, many thanks Alan.  I look forward to the possible CD issues as my turntable's been defunct a while but might just invest!

That'll mean buying a new turntable, possibly at the same time as I buy an 8-track cassette player on which to listen to the two Wombles cartridges I've just invested in!

“We live in divisive times.”
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »

I'm hoping we'll be able to redo the CD versions as well now that we have these new masters to work with. Alan

Yes please !!! - double CDs for each with bonus cuts of all period out-takes! A Sunflower double in particular would be something else.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »

Just picked up these beautiful (solid, heavy) heavy (confident!) discs and they do sound, in a word, wonderful - punchy, bright, alive, pushing through the speakers into the very air...what a difference from the CDs. I am excited to test out Sunflower with the height speaker possibilities of Audyssey DSX and Pro Logic IIz, hoping that perhaps some of Mr. Desper's originally spatialized spaces will come alive in interesting ways with these setups. Even with Pro Logic II it is enveloping --- and truly a wall of sound...

I envy you, Alan. The perfect man for the perfect job. Thank you.

The background vocals by themselves in SUNFLOWER are among the most beautiful and ethereal sounds I have ever heard, and one of the most stunning achievements in all of popular music. If I could, I would like to reside inside them - they seem to emerge from the very tops of their heads, not their bodies (except for Mike's -  gorgeous and spot on - bass singing throughout). Brian's tops have never been so...soaring...they cut through...

What a rush to unexpectedly see these two, stacked together in the record bins of Twist and Shout in Denver (if you've never been, you must go if you find yourself in these parts - one of the best in the country). Sunflower was where I started, my BB's Big Bang, where my head was 'turned around'...though I had "heard" the Beach Boys all of my youth on the radio, it wasn't until the one-two punch of the single Breakaway (which was in stereo - rare for its day on 45) and Sunflower that I was able to enter that heavenly realm of sound. Found Sunflower in the record bins at EJ Korvettes in the burbs of NYC (remember that there was very little advance word in those days of forthcoming records except for Rolling Stone's RANDOM NOTES, so you went record shopping looking for surprises each week...). Went home, put the headphones on, and soared above the clouds (heck, even Got to Know the Woman, It's About Time and Slip on Through, practically anthems for the Golden Penetrators Club, still have those heavenly backups, calling down from above - Denny's Apollonian and Dionysian halves, dancing together like Fred and Ginger...)

In his (unforgettable) "plastic madmen, rock geniuses" Rolling Stone review of SUNFLOWER, Jim Miller wrote:

After a long period of recovery, mediocrity, and general disaster, the Beach Boys have finally produced an album that can stand with Pet Sounds: the old vocal and instrumental complexity has returned and the result largely justifies the absurd faith some of us have had that the Beach Boys were actually still capable of producing a superb rock album–or, more precisely, a suberb rock muzak album. "Add Some Music to Your Day"; hip supermarkets might program this album for contented browsing among the frozen vegetables and canned fruit.

As a reassuring note, most of the lyric impotence of the group remains, though not so prominently displayed as on such colorful recent outings as Friends. In what is mainly a simple collection of love songs, Dennis Wilson has explored some aspects of rhythm and blues while Brian continues to work within his own distinctive framework. Thus on the one hand we have "It's About Time" and "Slip on Through," hints of the soft hard rock that marked "I Get Around," "Help Me Rhonda," etc., transferred to the domain of contemporary Motown. Dennis even pulls off a rib-tickling imitation of Barry Melton imitating James Brown on "Got to Know the Woman." All of these tracks are executed with a certain aplomb that often was lacking in post-"Good Vibrations" Beach Boy music, as if the self-consciousness of such homogenizing enterprise as making a new Beach Boy record has been again overcome. As a result, the naivete of the group is more astounding than ever–I mean, good Christ, it's 1970 and here we have a new, excellent Beach Boys' epic, and isn't that irrelevant?

In any case, Brian's new stuff is great, especially "This Whole World" and "All I Wanna Do." Which brings up the engineering and production work on this album: it's flawless, especially in view of the number of overdubs. There is a warmth, a floating quality to the stereo that far surpasses the mixing on, say, Abbey Road. The effects are subtle, except for the outrageous echo on "All I Wanna Do" that makes the song such a mind – wrenching experience. And then there is "Cool, Cool Water," Brian's exquisite ode to water in all its manifestations, which, like "Add Some Music," is encyclopedic in its trivial catalogue of the subject at hand. "Cool, Cool Water" pulls off a Smiley Smile far better than most of the material on that disappointing venture.

The inevitable saccharine ballads are present in abundance. "Deirdre" and particularly Brian's "Our Sweet Love" rejoin the ongoing tradition of "Surfer Girl," although "Our Sweet Love" is most reminiscent of the mood of Pet Sounds. Of course there is some lesser stuff here, like "At My Window." No matter: as a whole, Sunflower is without doubt the best Beach Boys album in recent memory, a stylistically coherent tour de force. It makes one wonder though whether anyone still listens to their music, or could give a sh*t about it. This album will probably have the fate of being taken as a decadent piece of fluff at a time when we could use more Liberation Music Orchestras. It is decadent fluff–but brilliant fluff. The Beach Boys are plastic madmen, rock geniuses. The plastic should not hide from use the geniuses who molded it.

Indeed...
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »

Glad you like the new vinyl. As Alan indicated we used the original flat mixes for Sunflower  which we found in mislabeled boxes in the EMI vault. It is doubtful that they have been used since the original release , and the sonic difference is significant.

We also made new hi-res HDCD digital masters of both Sunflower and Surfs Up and hope to be able to release those as well.

Mark
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:19 AM »

Well, I am listening to my favorite Beach Boys album (Sunflower) in its new reissued form... it sounds incredible. I am going to pick up Surf's Up later on today, and replace my old, mildewy worn copy.

Those bass drum stutter-steps in "This Whole World" are coming through much clearer than on the 2000 CD reissue!

This sounds so good that I am going to have to make a 24-bit vinyl rip that I can listen to on the go. Just unbelievable. Thanks to Mark Linnet and Alan Boyd. You guys are the greatest.

I am going to flip on "Pro Logic II" or "DTS NEO:6" for my next listen. I've done it with the 2000 CD reissue and I got some cool sounds ..

b00ts

- B00ts
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »

Just picked up these beautiful (solid, heavy) heavy (confident!) discs and they do sound, in a word, wonderful - punchy, bright, alive, pushing through the speakers into the very air...what a difference from the CDs.

(...)

I envy you, Alan. The perfect man for the perfect job. Thank you.

(...)

Ditto. I bought these today, I've already listened to Sunflower and I'm listening to Surf's Up right now. They're just amazing: the CD versions, as good as they are, don't even come close to these discs. Thanks again to all involved in these reissues - you've done a great job!  Cheesy

Also, there's a little surprise in the SUNFLOWER LP.  I found an interesting unused item filed away with the surviving artwork elements, and Tom Recchion at Capitol was inspired to integrate it into the package....

It took me some time to notice it as I couldn't wait to play the album, but I finally paid attention to the sleeve, and I went "wait... there's something strange here...LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »

I highly recommend the new Sunflower and Surf's Up 180 gram vinyl LP reissues.  In addition to top-notch sound quality, the packaging is absolutely first rate.  Surf's Up features the original foldout insert with lyrics and photos, and Sunflower features its original gatefold cover with great photos of the group, and rather than a typical paper or plastic record sleeve inside you get the very special paperboard sleeve with the artwork bonus that Alan Boyd alluded to in his post.  If you are a long time fan who had the Warner/Reprise 2 dollar loss leader LP 'The Big Ball' from early 1970 containing the notation "'This Whole World' is from their first album on Brother, slated for release in April 1970" you'll probably recognize this artwork immediately, but now it's full size and in full color.  It's not a large departure from the existing artwork  that's been around for almost 40 years now, but it is a really cool addition to the packaging, and is indicative of the care that went into this reissue.

The sound quality of both albums is great, although one must be prepared for the typical clicks and pops found on vinyl.  My copy of Surf's Up was in very good shape in this regard, but I've been through three copies of the Sunflower reissue (the worst of which I returned) and all have more irritating clicks and pops  than I would like, especially on side two. (The worst clicks and pops found here consist of a short burst of clicks in just one channel;  the left channel on one copy and the right channel on the two other copies I purchased.)  In the past it has been  possible, but not common, for some pressing plants to consistently produce quieter vinyl, (and I tend to be far more irritated by clicks and pops than many people), but many albums are far worse in this regard.  However, don't let intermittent vinyl clicks and pops dissuade you from making a purchase.  If you do not own these albums on vinyl (or if you have the non-gatefold version of Sunflower) it's really cool to see and hear them in their original packaging, and they are also a great addition to your collection if you have worn copies.  I'm not one of those who feels vinyl automatically sounds superior to CDs (although it can, and vice versa, depending on the original source tapes used, along with eq, etc, applied) but listening to vinyl is a cool sonic experience.  I'd even recommend these albums to hardcore fans without a turntable, just to experience the look and feel of the original releases.

Prior to my purchase of the new vinyl reissue of Sunflower, over the years I've purchased 12 other vinyl copies of the album, starting with my original purchase on 8-21-70 (ten days before most discographies now state it was released) and including two white label promo copies, the Capitol Record Club pressing, the Stateside European release, and the CBS/Caribou 1980 UK release.  (But not the ultra rare limited edition 1990 EMI vinyl release!)  There are some significant sonic difference within these vinyl releases (including two differences of which I am aware within the Brother/Reprise pressings, which remained in print for almost 10 years after the album was released) as well as the 10-90 and 7-00 CD releases.

As stated before, this new release sounds fabulous, and I'm hoping it will find its way to CD very soon.  My original vinyl copy(which is rather worn!) and my two promo copies (in pristine shape), the three of which, between them, were made with two different stampers, all sound identical.  As far as sonic balance of this new reissue is concerned, in my listening tests I felt that, compared to the original early pressings, the new reissue overall has more bass and in some cases slightly smoother and less strident vocals.  Both of these attributes are a good thing, as the original album could use more low end (especially by modern eq standards) and somewhat less strident vocals.  However, on the new reissue Slip on Through has slightly less bass than the original, Deirdre and Tears in the Morning have about the same (the latter definitely could use more), and Got to Know the Woman has less treble, which, in my opinion, is undesirable, giving it a somewhat less forward sound.

(If anyone reading this is a glutton for punishment, I can post info on the sonic differences I found on the various other vinyl and CD issues, although I only went to the trouble of comparing the first song, Slip on Through.  And, when comparing vinyl to CD, it's important to remember that the phono cartridge used can make a significant sonic difference in the vinyl playback experience.)

And now a question for Mark Linett - Alan Boyd stated that "this may have been the first time that SUNFLOWER has been remastered from the first generation tapes as the tape box itself had been mislabeled".  Did you transfer this first generation tape directly to vinyl, or did you apply any EQ or compression?  If EQ (or compression) was applied, did you apply it differently to certain songs, or was it applied in the same fashion across the entire album?

Thanks again to Mark Linett and Alan Boyd for bringing these great reissues to us.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx