gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:04:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Sidemen  (Read 5945 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:46:16 PM »

Okay I know there has been talk about this before, but does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the people who have performed with the Beach Boys over the years? Even just as special guest appearances (eg: Elton John, Mr. T etc..). Also does anyone have any dates (specific or just general ideas) of when they joined and left the touring band?

I found this website http://bapresley.com/silverthreads/music/bands/beachboys.html that lists a lot of guys I'd never even heard of before such as Robert Kenyatta, Dale Martel and Mark Isham.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any info.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »

http://beachboysband.net/PASTMEM_A/PAST_MEMBERS/PM_left_list_sub.htm

That list doesn't have all of them but it has a lot that I've never heard of before.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »

http://beachboysband.net/PASTMEM_A/PAST_MEMBERS/PM_left_list_sub.htm

That list doesn't have all of them but it has a lot that I've never heard of before.

Thanks Aegir Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 05:07:46 AM »

Okay I know there has been talk about this before, but does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the people who have performed with the Beach Boys over the years? Even just as special guest appearances (eg: Elton John, Mr. T etc..). Also does anyone have any dates (specific or just general ideas) of when they joined and left the touring band?

I found this website http://bapresley.com/silverthreads/music/bands/beachboys.html that lists a lot of guys I'd never even heard of before such as Robert Kenyatta, Dale Martel and Mark Isham.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any info.

Robert Kenyatta is a percussionist who toured with them in '73.  He's on the "In Concert" double LP.  Brad Elliott incorrectly identified him as a flautist in his book.  I think he previously toured with Wilson Pickett.  Must have had a thing for Wilsons. 
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:48:20 AM »

Does anybody know when jazz trumpeter/composer Mark Isham played live with the Beach Boys?

Regarding Dale Martell:

"While living in San Diego a friend introduced him to the Beach Boys who offered him employment as a backline technician. He was soon promoted to equipment manger and crew chief. In 1994 he began playing guitar solos in the Beach Boys show on a regular basis as well as occasionally substituting for Carl Wilson on lead guitar. From 1994 through 1997 he toured with Mike Love, lead singer of the Beach Boys on lead guitar and vocals." (from DaleMartell.com)
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »

What about Horn Section guys? Rod Novak (King Harvest) and, I beleive, Michael Andreas (Sons of Champlain, etc.) were part of the "Hornettes." Also, did Ron Altbach tour with them?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:35 AM »

Was Dale Martell the guy playing lead on "Summer in Paradise" in live shows? There was one techie who would come onstage just to play lead guitar on one song, never did catch his name.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »

Was Dale Martell the guy playing lead on "Summer in Paradise" in live shows? There was one techie who would come onstage just to play lead guitar on one song, never did catch his name.

I think he was introduced as "Manny".  Maybe that's Dale Martell's nickname...
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »

Thanks everyone for the info so far! Smiley By the way, that black guy playing bass in that clip of "Okie From Muskogee/Heroes And Villains" is that Luther Coffee?

Also, I'm assuming it was Dale Martell who played lead on SIP in the live shows since according to Christian it says he was a technician etc.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »

I thought Ed Carter played the lead guitar on SIP? Bruce even mentioned his name during the solo, in this video.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Lmj8H54Sw

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:49 AM »

I thought Ed Carter played the lead guitar on SIP? Bruce even mentioned his name during the solo, in this video.

Do you hear a guitar solo? I don´t.   Wink

But you can hear Martell´s solo here (coming out of the dark):

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb_p_5YR_UM

I`m sure you know this video.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for the info so far! Smiley By the way, that black guy playing bass in that clip of "Okie From Muskogee/Heroes And Villains" is that Luther Coffee?

Also, I'm assuming it was Dale Martell who played lead on SIP in the live shows since according to Christian it says he was a technician etc.

Yes, I've been told that's Luther Coffee in the '71 clip you mention.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Lmj8H54Sw

Ed Carter and the roadie (Dale or whomever) both played lead guitar on SIP live, just in different years.  IIRC, the roadie took over that coveted solo after Ed retired ('96 for instance).
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »

Oh, ok. Thanks Christian & c-man, as always!  Smiley  Though, I think that Scott Totten always played the best solos on that song. Man, I love this song so much, I don't bother when people don't take me serious, but for me it's a great song!

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:15 AM »

a bit off topic, but one-time sideman Luther Coffee played on the tracking session for the unreleased/unfinished song "Rooftop Harry" (April 15th 1972, Larrabee Sound in West Hollywood).

Engineer Barry Rudolph has this story about a very strange recording session:

"My introduction to Brian Wilson, Bruce Johnston and their colorful entourage of musicians and wild characters, came at 12 midnight at Larrabee Sound in West Hollywood, CA. I had already worked a full day, probably starting at 9AM when, around 6PM, a call came in telling us that the Beach Boys needed a studio that night! The more senior staff engineers were interested in working the session but not starting at 12AM... so I was it!

Before I knew it, Studio Instrument Rentals began unloading three truckloads of equipment into Studio A. There were various drum kits, percussion kits, a grand piano, a dozen guitars, an assortment of guitar amps, basses, a calliope and curiously, a child's toy piano. Not knowing what was in store, I didn't set up anything because there would be, as it turned out, plenty of time while the band worked on a song.

Brian was one of the first to show up and he immediately descended into a large easy chair in the corner of the control room. He lasped into a trance-like state and assumed the lotus position for about two hours while the rest of the guys arrived. All the other band members sat patiently waiting for Brian to awaken. All of a sudden, Brian jumped up and ran to the grand piano and started playing. Bruce Johnston yelled at me to "start recording" even though I didn't even have a sound on the piano. I don't think I had mics on the piano yet! But that was the way it was all night long...keep the red light on and record everything!

After many takes and hours of diatribe over the "talkback" from Bruce, (about a wide range of unrelated topics), a song with the tentative title "Rooftop Harry" emerged. Brian played piano, electric bass, toy piano and a calliope that I ran through a then new device: a Countryman Phaser. A guy name Luther Coffee also played bass and then a nameless upright bass player magically showed up at the back door and played another bass track. He left afterwards without saying much of anything. Coffee insisted on playing in the studio with the studio speakers turned up all the way instead of in the control room or with headphones. Larrabee was limited to small bookshelf speakers at that time and, Luther kept yelling in a very cryptic and fast Carribean patois: "I can't hear the muthafucka." I remember four different bass parts on the song. Drummer Michael Clark of the Byrds overdubbed drums with exact instructions from Brian, augmented by the on-going socio-political speed-rap commentary of Johnston. I remember how hard is was to get sounds with Bruce holding down the talkback button and talking non-stop.

That night I saw more eccentric behavior with the Beach Boys than I had ever seen in my life. The session went until 10AM the next morning until Brian running out of the studio and jumping into a Nash Rambler. The song was never completed or released to my knowledge."
MBE
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »

Crazy session. Well I guess Brian and Bruce were kinda eccentric at that point.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »

"Rooftop Harry" hasn't been booted, has it? Would love to hear the session tapes after that story! Cheesy

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »

Crazy session. Well I guess Brian and Bruce were kinda eccentric at that point.

When this story first surfaced a few years back, Bruce posted (on BB Britain, I think) something like "We probably just came from the Tiki Lounge in Beverly Hills after too many zombies.  Sounds like a fun rock 'n' roll night!".  I'm paraphrasing, but it was close to that.  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »

Yep it did sound like they were a little tipsey. Funny how Brian slept it off so fast.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »

It is always fascinating to see the power that Brian Wilson had over everyone.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »

It's not hard to imagine Bruce babbling endlessly about nothing. No wonder the guy loves the internet.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx