gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:53:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Who  (Read 39154 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 05:29:45 AM »

It's strange; although the Who are ranked in the upper echelon of British Invasion bands, they don't seem to have the elite status of the Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. Personally, I prefer them to any of those bands - and I only have a couple of their albums! I know, I know...where have I been? But their best work is right up there with the best of the best IMO. Just got a copy of Who's Next recently, and it is definitely a classic. There's a reason they had a tough time continuing after Moon died; his drumming would have been totally wrong for, say, the Kinks, or the Beatles, would have just sounded like some crazy guy trying to attract attention to his playing, but it works perfectly in Pete's songs. And I like how so many times Pete has that acoustic rhythm in the bed of the track. They had a totally unique sound. The only knock against them I can see is that their catalog is rather small compared to the Kinks or the Stones (the only British Invasion bands of similar longevity I can think of). They've got more comps than studio albums.

I agree in that, in the terms of 60s rock bands, The Who tend to be a tad underrated.   I have a few theories:

1.  They were not as prolific as The Stones or Pink Floyd.  (Though if you measure quality over quantity, they have the Stones beat easily).

2.  Unlike The Beatles and Zeppelin, they continued to go on after the deaths of key members, therefore losing a bit of their mystique, which as much as I really like Zeppelin, I don't think there's a classic band that thrives more on mystique then them. 
I would have been just fine with things if The Who had really ended with their farewell tour in 1982. Some would say they should have stopped when Keith died; a valid perspective. I agree, in terms of quality, they have the Stones beat. I'd say the Kinks have both bands beat in both departments, but I accept that my opinion is a minority one. God Save the Kinks!

From a selfish perspective, I'm glad The Who didn't call it quits in 1982.  Had they, I'd never have had the chance to see them live.  2000 with John was still alive.  2002 just after John passed.  And 2012 doing Quadrophenia. 

Plus, I think that Endless Wire is a far far better swan song than It's Hard.  The song Tea and Theatre to me is like The Who version of Summer's Gone, and they tend to use it as their closer now.  That'll likely be the last song I ever hear from Pete and Roger live, and I'm cool with that. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »

Lest we forget: Keith Moon was a rabid Beach Boys fan, hoping to run away to America to join them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f29jcB1bZLI
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »

Roger Daltrey spends a great deal of time raising money for his charity, (The Teenage Cancer Trust, I believe), which supports teenagers with cancer. He gets big names to put on concerts with him, and the proceed benefit kids all over the world, including in the US. In several interviews he noted that children's hospitals are great for children, and adults get treatment in appropriate places, but adolescents seem to fall through the cracks in terms of an atmosphere that meets their emotional/social/recreational needs, all of which are important psychological aspects of battling the disease. It was especially touching to me when he said that he did it because rock artists owe their careers to teens, and he is trying to give back out of gratitude. See him backstage at a benefit with Robert Plant:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Lol30Y_GI
KDS
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »

Roger Daltrey spends a great deal of time raising money for his charity, (The Teenage Cancer Trust, I believe), which supports teenagers with cancer. He gets big names to put on concerts with him, and the proceed benefit kids all over the world, including in the US. In several interviews he noted that children's hospitals are great for children, and adults get treatment in appropriate places, but adolescents seem to fall through the cracks in terms of an atmosphere that meets their emotional/social/recreational needs, all of which are important psychological aspects of battling the disease. It was especially touching to me when he said that he did it because rock artists owe their careers to teens, and he is trying to give back out of gratitude. See him backstage at a benefit with Robert Plant:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Lol30Y_GI

The Who has done shows for Teenage Cancer Trust.   There was a memorable show in 2000 that was released on DVD, which included guests such as Paul Weller, Bryan Adams, Eddie Wedder, etc. 
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »

The Who was the first band I was really into. I got into them right at the time of the farewell tour. I still remember, putting on Quadrophenia, and hearing The Real Me (Moon's drumming especially)...magical.

By Numbers and Who are You probably don't get the credit they deserve. Pete was getting pretty introspective, and he wasn't shy to I guess, 'modernize' the sound of the band.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »

KDS - You're so right! How could I forget.
KDS
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »

KDS - You're so right! How could I forget.

It's worth it for a rarely performed So Sad About Us.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »

This song still sounds as good and as meaningful as it did in the mid sixties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afam2nIae4o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kids_Are_Alright_(song)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:43:37 PM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 07:03:57 AM »

I've just got back into The Who in a big way. I just started listening to the full deluxe Live at Leeds concert and they were such a massive force then.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »

I've just got back into The Who in a big way. I just started listening to the full deluxe Live at Leeds concert and they were such a massive force then.

Indeed they were! I'm more into their studio stuff up to and including Who's Next.

Actually I've always felt Tommy should have been a slngle LP. Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »

Indeed they were! I'm more into their studio stuff up to and including Who's Next.

Actually I've always felt Tommy should have been a slngle LP. Smokin

I go between thinking either their strength was singles and thinking the concept album is overrated, to thinking them to be the masters of the form of the concept album. It seems to depend on the year for me. At the moment, I am well into their albums, particularly the two major concepts Tommy and Quadrophenia. But, yeah, next year I'm sure I'll be with you on thinking Tommy is too much. But for now there's something about the sound of that album that's very appealing to me so I'm happy to hear all of it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »

I go between thinking either their strength was singles and thinking the concept album is overrated, to thinking them to be the masters of the form of the concept album. It seems to depend on the year for me. At the moment, I am well into their albums, particularly the two major concepts Tommy and Quadrophenia. But, yeah, next year I'm sure I'll be with you on thinking Tommy is too much. But for now there's something about the sound of that album that's very appealing to me so I'm happy to hear all of it.

Ill see if I can dig out my track list for the single LP. That said, it's all so subjective.  Smokin

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 04:49:16 PM »

Ill see if I can dig out my track list for the single LP. That said, it's all so subjective.  Smokin

Yes, I'd be curious to see it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 01:29:57 AM »

Here you go, Choc. I posted this at Smiley on June 2015. It all goes to show how important it is to post things on more than one forum--both my original "hobby" forum and PSF have died since then. Smokin

Side One:
1. Overture
2. Amazing Journey
3. Sparks
4. The Hawker
5. Cousin Kevin
6. The Acid Queen

Side Two:
1. Pinball Wizard
2. Go To The Mirror
3. Tommy Can You Hear Me
4. Smash The Mirror
5. Sensation
6. I'm Free
7. We're Not Gonna Take It

Bonus track on the CD version:
Underture

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »

Here you go, Choc. I posted this at Smiley on June 2015. It all goes to show how important it is to post things on more than one forum--both my original "hobby" forum and PSF have died since then. Smokin

Side One:
1. Overture
2. Amazing Journey
3. Sparks
4. The Hawker
5. Cousin Kevin
6. The Acid Queen

Side Two:
1. Pinball Wizard
2. Go To The Mirror
3. Tommy Can You Hear Me
4. Smash The Mirror
5. Sensation
6. I'm Free
7. We're Not Gonna Take It

Bonus track on the CD version:
Underture

Good succinct Tommy!

I can see taking out Christmas and Sally Simpson. Christmas doesn't really do much plot wise and those back-up vocals don't quite work well (and normally I think Townshend does pretty interesting things with the back-up singing). Sally Simpson does work better as a piece in the story (though it doesn't alter anything to leave it out) but for me it's a longer song than it needs to be. And, yes, I would have to imagine that any truncated version of Tommy would have to remove the Underture (even The Who themselves never played it in their "full" rendition of the album).

For me, though, I am quite partial to It's A Boy/1921 and Welcome (also a song they never played) so I would personally include that on mine - maybe replacing Cousin Kevin (which is important to the story but unsettling though not as much as Uncle Ernie which I am not sad to see go from your version) and hmm... Sensation? Hard to say for sure as I like that one too.

Overall, though, this would be a great album as you present it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 02:45:51 AM »

Good succinct Tommy!

I can see taking out Christmas and Sally Simpson. Christmas doesn't really do much plot wise and those back-up vocals don't quite work well (and normally I think Townshend does pretty interesting things with the back-up singing). Sally Simpson does work better as a piece in the story (though it doesn't alter anything to leave it out) but for me it's a longer song than it needs to be. And, yes, I would have to imagine that any truncated version of Tommy would have to remove the Underture (even The Who themselves never played it in their "full" rendition of the album).

For me, though, I am quite partial to It's A Boy/1921 and Welcome (also a song they never played) so I would personally include that on mine - maybe replacing Cousin Kevin (which is important to the story but unsettling though not as much as Uncle Ernie which I am not sad to see go from your version) and hmm... Sensation? Hard to say for sure as I like that one too.

Thanks! Obviously it's so darn subjective. Funnily, it was "Underture" that made my ears prick up when listening to Tommy for the first time in (I think) 1971.

Both the album and the Ken Russell film seem very dark to me--I don't know if that's the general feeing. Like all the really heavy stuff happens at night.  Grin

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 07:29:41 AM »

Good succinct Tommy!

Thanks! Obviously it's so darn subjective. Funnily, it was "Underture" that made my ears prick up when listening to Tommy for the first time in (I think) 1971.

Both the album and the Ken Russell film seem very dark to me--I don't know if that's the general feeing. Like all the really heavy stuff happens at night.  Grin

I haven't seen the movie in a very long and to be honest I'm not sure if I've ever sat through the whole thing at once. I remember feeling very let down by the film when I saw it though.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »

I haven't seen the movie in a very long and to be honest I'm not sure if I've ever sat through the whole thing at once. I remember feeling very let down by the film when I saw it though.

Ken Russell detested pop music so his take on Tommy was pretty much out of left field. I've seen it several times, and on each occasion when Daltrey first appeared as the adult Tommy there were sighs of relief in the cinema! LOL

I've always regarded it as a classic, even though Russell's budget ran out towards the end.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 10:45:47 AM »

I've been playing Pete Townshend's Empty Glass a lot lately. Beautiful forgotten record. Kind of Who by Numbers Vol. 2.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »

Speaking of The Who, I'm seriously trying to get tickets to their upcoming tour. They're going on tour, and releasing a new studio album. They're playing in Pittsburgh at a place called PPG Paints Arena.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »

Speaking of The Who, I'm seriously trying to get tickets to their upcoming tour. They're going on tour, and releasing a new studio album. They're playing in Pittsburgh at a place called PPG Paints Arena.

Did you manage to get tickets, Jay?

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »

It occurred to me as I heard it on the radio this morning ... could My Generation be considered the first punk rock song?
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »

I grabbed tickets to see them during livenation's $20 concert week and I'm starting to get excited about their upcoming Atlanta date.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »

Did you manage to get tickets, Jay?
Yep! I saw them on the 30th. I was about 70 yards from the stage.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »

That’s awesome...happy for you my brother!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx