gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:27:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2019 Tour Thread  (Read 208212 times)
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »

Brian's first show since canceling the June dates of his tour is a little more than a week away. I've been anxiously waiting to see if the Aug. 7 show happens, as I have tickets for Aug. 11. First and foremost, I hope Brian is healthy. But I can't deny that, as selfish as it may be, I hope he is able to perform again.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »

Brian's first show since canceling the June dates of his tour is a little more than a week away. I've been anxiously waiting to see if the Aug. 7 show happens, as I have tickets for Aug. 11. First and foremost, I hope Brian is healthy. But I can't deny that, as selfish as it may be, I hope he is able to perform again.

Not long after I posted the above, Brian Wilson's Facebook and Instagram pages posted about his feeling better and looking forward to starting up the tour in August. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26623.msg652301.html#msg652301 He's looking good. I'm excited to see him in Ohio.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2019, 11:16:22 AM »

Not long after I posted the above, Brian Wilson's Facebook and Instagram pages posted about his feeling better and looking forward to starting up the tour in August. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26623.msg652301.html#msg652301 He's looking good. I'm excited to see him in Ohio.

What show are you going to in Ohio?  I live near Cincinnati, based on the last few years and the reviews, I have been planning to skip Huber Heights (near Dayton) and the gig in Cincinnati.  I want to remember the awesome shows that I have seen in the past.  Now I am re-thinking.....
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »

[quote author=Matt H link=topic=26082.msg652355#msg652355 date=1564510582
What show are you going to in Ohio?  I live near Cincinnati, based on the last few years and the reviews, I have been planning to skip Huber Heights (near Dayton) and the gig in Cincinnati.  I want to remember the awesome shows that I have seen in the past.  Now I am re-thinking.....
[/quote]

I'm going to the Aug. 11 show in Cuyahoga Falls (Blossom Music Center).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/brian-wilson-feeling-much-better-resumes-tour-865134/

Brian is feeling much better and ready to play.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »

That's right, he's gonna get out there and rock and roll us like never before!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »

That warms my heart. Looking forward to him kicking ass. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2019, 11:36:41 PM »

I hear that rock and roll album is finally coming together!
Here I am...rock you like a hurricane!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »

I hear that rock and roll album is finally coming together!
Here I am...rock you like a hurricane!

Snide, much?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »

I just saw this interview with Al Jardine, where he mentions Matt Jardine singing the falsetto parts. I didn't realize Matt was back with Brian's band.

Here's the link: https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2019/08/03/137995/historic-event-and-rarefied-air-when-brian-wilson-al-jardine-perform-pet-sounds

I'm looking forward to reviews, as well as seeing what's on the playlist, for tonight's show.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2019, 11:50:27 AM »

I just saw this interview with Al Jardine, where he mentions Matt Jardine singing the falsetto parts. I didn't realize Matt was back with Brian's band.

Here's the link: https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2019/08/03/137995/historic-event-and-rarefied-air-when-brian-wilson-al-jardine-perform-pet-sounds

I'm looking forward to reviews, as well as seeing what's on the playlist, for tonight's show.

Apart from a few interludes (last year's XMas tour), Matt has been full time with the band since 2015. (And also did some 2014 gigs as well).

Glad to see the Al interview. It's standard boilerplate tour promotion, but it's good to get Al out there to promote the shows.

Pretty funny, the article transcribes one song title Al mentions as "Little Do Scoop."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »

Apart from a few interludes (last year's XMas tour), Matt has been full time with the band since 2015. (And also did some 2014 gigs as well).

Glad to see the Al interview. It's standard boilerplate tour promotion, but it's good to get Al out there to promote the shows.

Pretty funny, the article transcribes one song title Al mentions as "Little Do Scoop."

It also says that Al wrote "Sloop John B"
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »

It also says that Al wrote "Sloop John B"

In the interview, Al seems to take credit for the arrangement, which is odd. I thought Al did an arrangement and gave it to Brian and then Brian vastly improved on it.
But Al generally comes off as being so humble. I love what he says about Brian:

Q: You’ve been doing this with Brian for a long time. What does he mean to you at this point in your career – and what does he mean to you as a friend and as a tour mate?

Al Jardine: Well, he means everything to me. You know, we grew up together. We went to school together. Started the band together. We’re very close to one another and share an awful lot of memories. (Laughs)

Unfortunately, he has some health issues. His back has been bothering him for years, and he needs a little help getting on and off stage. But other than that, he’s terrific. And we have a great rapport with one another.

He’s the real thing. Let’s put it that way. We didn’t appreciate it at the time, but it’s become pretty clear to everyone that he’s an exceptional human being, and a wonderful, wonderful arranger/songwriter/producer, you name it. He owns it. Even Paul McCartney bows down to Brian and his compositional genius. And we respect Paul a lot, too, of course.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »

You want funny?

Al unable to remember the key to HMR last week.  LOL

https://youtu.be/jOOHNtFmb6g

“Just sing Al....This is your big song” Grin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:40:12 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »

The “Sloop John B” thing has been debated for years. I don’t think Al is ever trying to take a bunch of extra credit for it. I don’t think anybody knows *precisely* what Al brought to Brian. But I do think the song’s credit (Trad. Arranged by Brian) could have easily also included Al; I think he contributed enough to the skeleton of the arrangement that he probably should have gotten a co-credit, especially considering it’s a “Traditional” thing already anyway. It’s not like Al just opened the door, threw the Kingston Trip (or whatever) LP at Brian, and then took off.

Knowing how this band usually operates, it’s worth noting that Al has *not* sued or otherwise griped in interviews that he was cheated out of credits over the song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2019, 04:07:55 PM »

You want funny?

Al unable to remember the key to HMR last week.  LOL

https://youtu.be/jOOHNtFmb6g

“Just sing Al....This is your big song” Grin

Al has that absent minded professor personality for sure . Then you’ll hear him notice some obscure part missing in a BW soundcheck. In his defense they did lower the key on that for a number of years in the 70s and early 80s.😂
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »

I guess I had the impression his absence during last year's Xmas tour was more than just for that tour, and I hadn't seen any reports that he was back with the band for this year's performances.

The "Little Do Scoop" is a great mis-transcription.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2019, 06:21:54 PM »

"The "Little Do Scoop" is a great mis-transcription."

LOL I'm going to use that for a song title

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 06, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »

Regarding Sloop, there's a Boot of home recordings from Brian's tape recorder when he was in high school long before The Beach Boys were even a thing. If memory serves correctly there is an a cappella recording of some of the guys doing Sloop John B - and it is far far from what Brian eventually ended up with on Pet Sounds (it is a much more tradition folk cover). So with that being said, given that Al was such a big fan of the Trio, I'm inclined to think that he did come to Brian with a bare-bones arrangement that sounded suitable enough for the Beach Boys in order to persuade Brian to record it....And then Brian took it to a whole other world. Also, Al specifically says "And I rearranged it a little bit" so he's not really saying he did a ton of arranging for it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »

That's nothing. When I was about 10 years old, I was chatting with my friend about Beach Boys songs that we liked and we named "Little Deuce Coupe." Then his little brother who was listening got upset and went and told his mom that we were talking about "little loose poops."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2019, 08:06:32 PM »

That's nothing. When I was about 10 years old, I was chatting with my friend about Beach Boys songs that we liked and we named "Little Deuce Coupe." Then his little brother who was listening got upset and went and told his mom that we were talking about "little loose poops."

Well that sure brings new meaning to your handle, Chocolate Shake Man!

Sorry, I had to...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »

LOL

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2019, 05:48:20 AM »

Regarding Sloop, there's a Boot of home recordings from Brian's tape recorder when he was in high school long before The Beach Boys were even a thing. If memory serves correctly there is an a cappella recording of some of the guys doing Sloop John B - and it is far far from what Brian eventually ended up with on Pet Sounds (it is a much more tradition folk cover). So with that being said, given that Al was such a big fan of the Trio, I'm inclined to think that he did come to Brian with a bare-bones arrangement that sounded suitable enough for the Beach Boys in order to persuade Brian to record it....And then Brian took it to a whole other world. Also, Al specifically says "And I rearranged it a little bit" so he's not really saying he did a ton of arranging for it.

"Sloop John B" (and its various other titles) was one of the more popular folk standards in the 1950s and '60s. Not only by the Kingston Trio, but the Weavers, Johnny Cash, the Brothers Four and others recorded it. Even Dick Dale did a version in 1963. I've counted a dozen or so released versions of the song prior to the Beach Boys' recording. So, it doesn't surprise me that there would be earlier versions of Brian and the boys messing around with it.

The Sail On podcast discussed the song recently (https://sailon.podbean.com/e/29-pet-sounds-part-1/), talking about how the musical arrangement isn't all that different from previous versions. It's more the vocals that set it apart, especially that section where the instrumental track drops out.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2019, 06:22:51 AM »

"Sloop John B" (and its various other titles) was one of the more popular folk standards in the 1950s and '60s. Not only by the Kingston Trio, but the Weavers, Johnny Cash, the Brothers Four and others recorded it. Even Dick Dale did a version in 1963. I've counted a dozen or so released versions of the song prior to the Beach Boys' recording. So, it doesn't surprise me that there would be earlier versions of Brian and the boys messing around with it.

The Sail On podcast discussed the song recently (https://sailon.podbean.com/e/29-pet-sounds-part-1/), talking about how the musical arrangement isn't all that different from previous versions. It's more the vocals that set it apart, especially that section where the instrumental track drops out.

That podcast has it backwards IMO. Just use your ears and listen to the Kingston Trio version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4d5Q5n3z6E  back to back with Brian's version. It's an exercise and assignment they called a production analysis we used to do at Berklee, where they'd have a song's demo for example, then follow it with the more familiar or "hit" version and they'd be compared back to back to analyze what a producer or arranger added or did to make it a hit record.

The Kingston Trio version - even without the similarities - is what I'd peg as the main influence on what Al suggested to Brian, most obviously since Al was a massive Kingston Trio fan as we all know.

Then when you listen: It's the *vocals* that are probably the most surprising similarity. The vocal arrangement is the most complete and most obvious launching point for Brian's version. The harmonies from the Trio were mostly kept intact by Brian - He only fattened up the sound and embellished some of the harmony stacks. He borrowed the idea of having different vocalists singing each verse's lead from the Kingston arrangement. The one powerhouse addition Brian did was of course the stunning a cappella break...no one but Brian could do that on a pop record in 65-66. That damn near makes the record.

But instrumentally? There is one key element Brian took and adapted from the Kingston Trio...They had the banjo playing arpeggio figures with the chords, alternating with them more prominently in the beginning and sometimes getting buried in the mix. Brian took those banjo arpeggios, adapted them to electric guitars and brought them out into the forefront of the arrangement, and tweaked them a bit to make them more repetitive and memorable figures. Then he added other guitar arpeggios on top, harmonizing them, and bringing even more in toward the end of the song. So Brian took a banjo part which drifts in and out of the Kingston blend, tweaked it, and made it a key element of his track.

The rest, well...use your ears. Brian took a sparse guitar-banjo-tenor guitar "live" backing with the only percussion being one of the Trio knocking on their guitar's body and literally blew it up into a wall of sound...yet, unlike Spector, you can hear damn near every instrument in that massive blend. Then add interesting percussion sounds, non-standard...flute as a main instrument...mallets...standard drums, layered guitars and bass, etc etc etc.

That's what a producer does, and in this case you can hear clearly what Brian did to turbo-charge and juice up the instrumental track which was a sparse folk arrangement of the Kingston Trio.

He did stay true mostly to the Kingstons' vocal arrangement though, minus of course the obvious a cappella break. But the rest, listening back to back, stays pretty true to the Kingston, especially in the technique of having separate leads on each verse.

So I haven't heard that podcast, but if they're suggesting the vocals are the main dividing line between the two, I'd say give it another listen and reconsider that theory based on the tracks themselves. It's the instrumental track that set Brian's arrangement and production literally light years ahead of the other, whereas a lot of the vocals and harmonies are taken directly from the Kingston version posted above. I honestly don't know how it can be reported that the instrumental backing "isn't all that different" when Brian's instrumental arrangement is radically different, and that is one of the main hooks of that record! But everyone has opinions I guess.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:43:30 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »

So I haven't heard that podcast, but if they're suggesting the vocals are the main dividing line between the two ...

They're not. If you're strapped for time just listen from 40:20 - 41:40.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx