gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 06:34:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncut Ultimate Guide to the Beach Boys  (Read 21979 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 06:34:56 AM »

I would think Marilyn would only complain if he made her abstain from the big O. 

Roy Orbison??

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:13 AM »

I would think Marilyn would only complain if he made her abstain from the big O. 

Roy Orbison??

He's obviously referring to Montreal's Olympic Stadium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_(Montreal)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:44 AM »

“The secret [...] is abstaining from orgasm.”  Cheesy

Can't wait to buy my copy.

Wow, he was talking about that to Rolling Stone in the '70s and then still to NME in the '90s. The idea stuck with him. I wonder if he pulled it off.
Probably, as Marilyn complained about it.

Sadly, only a very small percentage of women experienced them at all back then.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »

Roy Orbison??

let's go expos! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »

Roy Orbison??

let's go expos! LOL

Haha. As the great Western actor Hobie Doyle once said, "Would that it were so simple."

It is a shame that the Expos went by way of the Nordiques...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:23 AM »

Haha, Yeah hopefully the area of Quebec gets a hockey team back in the next round of NHL expansion. (Las Vegas makes no sense)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:02:45 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 07:42:08 AM »

J'adore ça quand vous parlez du Québec!

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
KDS
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 08:59:28 AM »

Wow, he was talking about that to Rolling Stone in the '70s and then still to NME in the '90s. The idea stuck with him. I wonder if he pulled it off.

That's very sad for them. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »

Indeed!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 09:12:10 AM »

Initial impression - some interesting views, questionable statements and the expected factual goofs. In all, not bad. More considered thoughts later.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 11:11:57 AM »

Indeed!

I wonder if any great albums came as a result (no pun intended).
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »

Indeed!

Love You... maybe abstinence brings forth feelings of love. OK, I admit there's absolutely no logic in this but that was just to plug the following quote:

Brian [from a 1976 interview]: "I wanted to call it 'Brian's In Love'... I don't think they'll go for it though, hahaha"

KDS
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »

Indeed!

Love You... maybe abstinence brings forth feelings of love. OK, I admit there's absolutely no logic in this but that was just to plug the following quote:

Brian [from a 1976 interview]: "I wanted to call it 'Brian's In Love'... I don't think they'll go for it though, hahaha"

Cat,

I was referring to Emily's point about how many women didn't achieve a big "O" back then, and I was wondering if that resulting in any great female fronted albums. 

Dreamboat Annie maybe? 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »

Reading it now - it's entertaining, but wow some of those star ratings leave a lot to be desired...
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »

Reading it now - it's entertaining, but wow some of those star ratings leave a lot to be desired...

Are you saying it's not worth it? I'd like to know more before I spend 25 $...

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 12:46:37 AM »

The vintage articles are great fun to read - especially when Dennis is talking/bragging - and the new reviews are well-written and interesting (if not always accurate), but they also give a star rating (out of 5) to each individual song and, well, here are some examples...

Christmas Day - 4 stars
Only With You - 2 stars
Please Let Me Wonder - 3 stars
The Trader - 3 stars
Here She Comes - 5 stars 
Kiss Me Baby - 3 stars
Farmer's Daughter - 2 stars
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 01:03:10 AM »

The vintage articles are great fun to read - especially when Dennis is talking/bragging - and the new reviews are well-written and interesting (if not always accurate), but they also give a star rating (out of 5) to each individual song and, well, here are some examples...

Christmas Day - 4 stars
Only With You - 2 stars
The Trader - 3 stars
Here She Comes - 5 stars 
Kiss Me Baby - 3 stars

Jesus... Kids today.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2016, 01:29:33 AM »

Christmas Day - 4 stars
Only With You - 2 stars
The Trader - 3 stars
Here She Comes - 5 stars 
Kiss Me Baby - 3 stars

Jesus... Kids today.

The Here She Comes rating is a-okay with me… check out the bass line, and Ricky's drumming is unsurpassed…

Got a copy yesterday - can't believe editor John Mulvey's clanger, coming in the first few lines of the mag's intro, was allowed to slip through to print. As the whole premise for the mag is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds and Brian's coming Pet Sounds world tour, it's just wrong on so many levels.

Other than that, it's a feast Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 01:36:40 AM »

Do you know if that 1990s interview is available anywhere on the Web?

Found this quote from a 1995 interview in Vox Magazine:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2716.msg51339.html#msg51339

I've seen that issue of Vox on eBay...

IIRC I have that issue. If it has the remarkable photos of Brian that I can not seem to locate anywhere... the pics are surreas, as if Bri is looking into a laughing mirror. There are a few photos of him that I find especially appealing, BTW, it's the Guy Webster one in b/w, with a very well-dressed Brian looking into the lens with a sombre face. Very stately. There are the ones from Vox, I think the photographer had a Belgian name, it will pop up in my mind some day today. And there is the Matthew Rolston one, again in b/w, in a Rolling Stone anniversay edition with portfolios of a number of rock photographers. Again, the Rolston is hard to locate, otherwise I would put it up here; to be honest, it portrays Brian as being fearful (I put it mildly), as if he is facing his personal demons precisely at the time Rolston took he photo. These are the standout pics for me.

(The finest Dennis photos BTW are the one that adorn the POB gatefold LP sleeve - they capture the mood of the music so well. IIRC that was Guy Webster again as the lensman.)

If you ever find those pics you're talking about I'd love to see them posted here... http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23506.0.html

Ah, nice! I surely will. That I do have that Vox issue is certain; thing is: my mag collection is stored away at the moment after I relocated. But it won't be long. And I must still have the RS with the Rolston pic too, albeit that friends helped to store away a lot of material that was lying around in my then apartment. Will look out for the stuff, scan, and send in within the upcoming month, I hope.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 07:29:45 AM »

Just got mine. A nice read, but some of those star ratings are well out
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 04:31:49 PM »

Christmas Day - 4 stars
Only With You - 2 stars
The Trader - 3 stars
Here She Comes - 5 stars 
Kiss Me Baby - 3 stars

Jesus... Kids today.

The Here She Comes rating is a-okay with me… check out the bass line, and Ricky's drumming is unsurpassed…

Got a copy yesterday - can't believe editor John Mulvey's clanger, coming in the first few lines of the mag's intro, was allowed to slip through to print. As the whole premise for the mag is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds and Brian's coming Pet Sounds world tour, it's just wrong on so many levels.

If He She Comes is a five, then The Trader would have to get 6 stars, which is not possible, so this stars rating is bull----. It's really not necessary for a magazine that produces a special edition that will be bought by fans to tell them how good the songs are. Come on!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »

Christmas Day - 4 stars
Only With You - 2 stars
The Trader - 3 stars
Here She Comes - 5 stars 
Kiss Me Baby - 3 stars

Jesus... Kids today.

If He She Comes is a five, then The Trader would have to get 6 stars, which is not possible, so this stars rating is bull----. It's really not necessary for a magazine that produces a special edition that will be bought by fans to tell them how good the songs are. Come on!

That last point I can agree with! For a publication it's hard to know how the ratings were decided - whether they're the opinion of that album's reviewer, whether they were arrived at by a era gig out a number of reviews from various sources, or whether they were put together with the purpose of filing fans/sparking debate…. You're right though, bottom line is they aren't necessary.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »

That last point I can agree with! For a publication it's hard to know how the ratings were decided - whether they're the opinion of that album's reviewer, whether they were arrived at by a era gig out a number of reviews from various sources, or whether they were put together with the purpose of filing fans/sparking debate…. You're right though, bottom line is they aren't necessary.
you must be on a phone - 'a era gig'
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »

you must be on a phone - 'a era gig'

You're right… should be "averaging". Many thanks.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »

"or whether they were put together with the purpose of filing fans/sparking debate" - if so, job done, at least in my house.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx