gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:41:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce....married or divorced?  (Read 28920 times)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »

Someone asked Bruce about his marital status on the Britian board a few days ago. He basicly said " let's stick to discussing the music." He wouldn't answer the question.

Is he still married to Harriet or not?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »

He sure gets down to brass tacks when it comes to discussing the status of his four sons and their education and careers. Understand he's proud of them, but it's like sitting down drinking a couple of beers with him, the way he sometimes goes into detail when the subject of his sons is brought up. Not sure why he doesn't give his wife equal billing. Unless............

I thought he was selling his house in Montecito, near Oprah.  Is it still up for sale or did he decide to stay there?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »

Someone asked Bruce about his marital status on the Britian board a few days ago. He basicly said " let's stick to discussing the music." He wouldn't answer the question.

Is he still married to Harriet or not?

Would you want someone discussing your marital status on a public online forum that you read?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »

amen

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »

I believe he may be currently separated from his wife.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:49:19 AM »

Would you want someone discussing your marital status on a public online forum that you read?

Exactly. None of our business.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 06:06:46 AM »

I gotta respectfully disagree with everyone.
It's a simple question and it's a simple answer.

Although a personal matter -- and actually, old news -- for the historians of the band it's a part of the story. No one's asking WHY or HOW or WHEN -- just married or not. This is a guy who writes a BOOK about his kids' (international!) accomplishments whenever anyone kisses his ass to ask: "How's your son?" (Is THAT anyone's business?)

Seeing as how most of us know some highly personal aspects of other members' divorce settlements -- I don't think that "yes"  or "no" question is a big deal.
It's part of being a public figure.

Bruce Johnston should be over the moon that there are more than 9 people discussing anything about any aspect of his life.

This is the smallest of potatoes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 06:21:40 AM »

Here's the thing though Howie. Bruce has no intellectual consistency. He's also the guy that was caught after an interview saying how Europeans "hate success" or whatever, some really stupid comment, but funny enough the only forum he will be part of online is "Beach Boys Britain" which is based in (you guessed it) Europe!

Personally I couldn't care less about Bruce's marital status. I'm much more interested in why he hasn't released a new composition in 20 years (besides the Doris Day songs, which are apparently over 20 years old anyways).
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »

If the guy wants to discuss his sons, then he's allowed to. If he doesn't want to discuss his marital status, then that's allowed too. Just because he mentions his sons doesn't give anyone the right to know anything else.

None of our business.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »

Eh.

People can ask because, as Howie said, Bruce is a public figure and it goes with the territory.

Bruce can say, "None of your business," because it's his life and he may not want to talk about it.

People can talk about it anyway, as long as they aren't stalking him or stealing his mail and stuff, because he's a public figure and it goes with the territory.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »

If anyone suggested that I was divorced, my wife would probably take offence if I didn't emphatically say no, I am married.   
Nicko1234
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »

Yep, I can`t really see how a father proudly talking about his sons can be seen as a negative and obviously asking `How are your children doing?` is a much more socially acceptable question than, `So, did you get divorced recently?`. Daft to compare the two.

I can understand people asking about it though...
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 07:32:57 AM »

Bruce wasn't asked if he was divorced.
Someone posed the question as to his marital status on a message board to the readers of a message board.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 07:43:01 AM »

Although a personal matter -- and actually, old news -- for the historians of the band it's a part of the story. No one's asking WHY or HOW or WHEN -- just married or not. This is a guy who writes a BOOK about his kids' (international!) accomplishments whenever anyone kisses his ass to ask: "How's your son?" (Is THAT anyone's business?)

Seeing as how most of us know some highly personal aspects of other members' divorce settlements -- I don't think that "yes"  or "no" question is a big deal.
It's part of being a public figure.

Bruce Johnston should be over the moon that there are more than 9 people discussing anything about any aspect of his life.

This is the smallest of potatoes.

Exactly.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »

As Howie said it's old news that Bruce and Harriet have been living apart for many years. It's even on page 22 of the Beach Boys FAQ book published a few years back, and it wasn't new news then. And definitely small potatoes either way.  The way fans are at times obsessed with the BB's offspring is what creeps me out much more than wondering if the actual Beach Boy is currently married or not.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 09:43:02 AM »

As Howie said it's old news that Bruce and Harriet have been living apart for many years. It's even on page 22 of the Beach Boys FAQ book published a few years back, and it wasn't new news then. And definitely small potatoes either way.  The way fans are at times obsessed with the BB's offspring is what creeps me out much more than wondering if the actual Beach Boy is currently married or not.

Well....  Howie didn't really get specific, other than to mention Old News;
Still, it's always good to get a reminder that the info is there in your book(s) for all to read ( if they will just take the time)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 10:31:38 AM »

The way fans are at times obsessed with the BB's offspring is what creeps me out much more than wondering if the actual Beach Boy is currently married or not.

I don't care who's married or not, but I am interested in the offspring, particularly Carnie & Wendy and Matt and Mike's son and daughter. I don't follow on the internet what any of them are doing, nor am I obsessed with them. I don't track closely what Carl's or Dennis's sons are doing in bands or restaurants or whatever, but I enjoyed watching them ALL sing onstage in L.A. near the end of the C50. When the subject of Wilson/Phillips comes up or they release a new CD, I'm all ears.

With that said, anybody here think Wendy Wilson is the bee's knees?  What a cutie.  Grin

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »

<<I gotta respectfully disagree with everyone.
It's a simple question and it's a simple answer.Although a personal matter -- and actually, old news -- for the historians of the band it's a part of the story. No one's asking WHY or HOW or WHEN -- just married or not. This is a guy who writes a BOOK about his kids' (international!) accomplishments whenever anyone kisses his ass to ask: "How's your son?" (Is THAT anyone's business?)>>

This is the kind of personal question/thread that makes me embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan.  It's also a perfect illustration of the reason we're often thought to be obsessive lunatics with a strong, righteous sense of entitlement to know, hear, see and own all, whenever we want it.

I don't talk about current or previous relationships, either. I doubt if many of us do, particularly in a public forum.  But I'll talk about my son and his accomplishments to anyone who asks.  Share lots of pictures, too.  I suspect most of us do.  It's called being a proud parent.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »

Personally I couldn't care less about Bruce's marital status. I'm much more interested in why he hasn't released a new composition in 20 years (besides the Doris Day songs, which are apparently over 20 years old anyways).

Now, that's an interesting question. I wonder if he has writer's block, or what? Some songwriters can't help but write because ideas just come to them. Maybe he's writing but just not releasing anything.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 11:04:10 AM »

The way fans are at times obsessed with the BB's offspring is what creeps me out much more than wondering if the actual Beach Boy is currently married or not.

I don't care who's married or not, but I am interested in the offspring, particularly Carnie & Wendy and Matt and Mike's son and daughter. I don't follow on the internet what any of them are doing, nor am I obsessed with them. I don't track closely what Carl's or Dennis's sons are doing in bands or restaurants or whatever, but I enjoyed watching them ALL sing onstage in L.A. near the end of the C50. When the subject of Wilson/Phillips comes up or they release a new CD, I'm all ears.

With that said, anybody here think Wendy Wilson is the bee's knees?  What a cutie.  Grin

With that said, anybody here think Wendy Wilson is the bee's knees?  What a cutie.  Grin

Yep , very much 250%  Grin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:05:36 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »

Now, that's an interesting question. I wonder if he has writer's block, or what? Some songwriters can't help but write because ideas just come to them. Maybe he's writing but just not releasing anything.

I Write the Songs became is one of the all time greatest hits in pop music. Maybe he felt that after the success of that song, he had nothing to work towards.

Just a thought. I wish Bruce would write an honest autobiography. We all know that it would be fascinating...and also that such a book will never be written.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

I never thought I would want any involvement in this thread, but might I suggest one thing - while I only knew Harriet Johnston superficially, on more than one occasion I saw her go out of her way to be kind and generous to other people.  She was always thoughtful and gracious.  Even if Bruce is a public figure, she deserves her privacy.  I will add that I know nothing more about their marital status than what's apparently been published for some time.  I'm certain that if either of them wishes to comment further on the situation, they will.

I understand that people can ask such a question, but honestly, the only time I can imagine it being appropriate to demand an answer of a public figure is something similar to one lawmaker who was trying to dictate morality in Congress - who a person can marry, etc. - and was caught playing footsie in an airport bathroom with another man.  He had some 'splaining to do, given his voting record, since he had an impact on us as citizens.  I think it's safe to say that neither Bruce nor Harriet is in that position.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »

Funny subject matter this one… agree with just about every post made so far! Bruce is a public figure and I guess things like this to with the territory, but everyone's entitled to their privacy (unless you're one if those celeb-types who make their living from washing your laundry in public, which Brice certainly isn't). Bruce's private life has always been a private private life and if he chooses to keep it that way then that should be his right.

My own interest would be aroused if he'd released a raft of songs based on love life experiences. But he hasn't. When it has no impact on the music, then wanting to know strikes me as a tad stalker-ish. I feel like a rubbernecker even adding to this thread.

Respect his privacy, and especially Harriet's as she's not to my knowledge ever been a publicity seeking celeb-wife.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »

She came out to sing FFF with everyone in the Fall of 2003 at a show I saw at Beau Rivage.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »

Might be mistaken, but I think Harriet can be seen in the 1989 Beach Boys campfire video(s).

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx