gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:59:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love 1980's Recordings  (Read 8820 times)
rogerlancelot
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »

On Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 6, there are 4 tracks of which 3 of them have no writer's credit and in the book are only described as "Four Mike Love solo tracks from the 80's". Does anybody know any story behind them (for instance what project they were intended for). One of the songs "Oh! Those Girls" is an unusual rocker that might have been a minor hit in the 80's and  I really like it. On the other hand, one of the songs "Can't Stop Talking About American Girls" is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. Ever. You can hear him try to find the key in the beginning and then simply give up thereby singing the entire song out of key. This was a founding member of a world prominent vocal group?

Anyway, I did a search on this forum and didn't come up with any information. I found some YouTube links for those unfamiliar:
Can't Stop Talking About American Girls: http://youtu.be/-pZYWQUe8FA
Hot Summer Lovers: http://youtu.be/_-pW2OMxlv4
Let's Dance: http://youtu.be/iK7LOTgcweg
Oh! Those Girls: http://youtu.be/qZuy5WcHCBo

I just noticed that all 4 of these were just recently posted (3 weeks ago) by the same uploader. They've been circulating for some time but I wouldn't even know where to begin dating them. Perhaps post-LBWL and pre-BB85? This has to be sometime after the solo album and Celebration projects. Like I said, I did not find anything using the search but felt this topic merited it's own thread.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »

Weren't those written/produced by Adrian Baker?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »

I've been curious about Can't Stop Talking About American Girls for quite some time, I've even asked about the song on this board but never grabbed any attention. So what is the deal with the song? Mike's vocals and the backing track sound like they're off maybe a half note? I'm thinking that Mike probably sang the vocals on key to a track that was in the key he was singing in, but maybe the backing track was later changed but Mike's vocals weren't?? I wish somebody could explain this train wreck to me. Does a version exist where the vocals are on key with the backing track?

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:05:45 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:05:59 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

The cover of "Let's Dance" is the same version on A Baker's Dozen. Most of the Adrian Baker/Mike Love tracks that I have are remakes of BB songs or oldies/covers. That doesn't help identify the other 3 songs unfortunately.

Per the vocals on "Can't Stop Talking About American Girls": since they've been double (maybe triple) tracked and the recording sounds like vintage 80's, I can't see how his vocals would be in a different pitch than the music since this was most likely recorded on tape. And, yes, a train wreck indeed!
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »

Mike probably sang the vocals on key
obviously.

Mmm Hmm.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:55:52 PM by Garneau Mike Woonsocket » Logged

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »

The cover of "Let's Dance" is the same version on A Baker's Dozen. Most of the Adrian Baker/Mike Love tracks that I have are remakes of BB songs or oldies/covers. That doesn't help identify the other 3 songs unfortunately.

Per the vocals on "Can't Stop Talking About American Girls": since they've been double (maybe triple) tracked and the recording sounds like vintage 80's, I can't see how his vocals would be in a different pitch than the music since this was most likely recorded on tape. And, yes, a train wreck indeed!

I've never heard him sing so badly off key like that before. How does this even exist?

Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »

Someone obviously applied some pitch-shifting to MIke's vocal track on "...American Girls".

It's simultaneously hilarious and painful.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »

Someone obviously applied some pitch-shifting to MIke's vocal track on "...American Girls".

It's simultaneously hilarious and painful.

I just can't possibly believe that somebody was able to pitch shift Mike's vocals without access to the multitracks. To my knowledge, this has been around for a while as it is (no alternate takes or mixes). Something tells me that despite the fact that I want to believe it's a prank of sorts that it really isn't.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 06:09:04 PM »

As for when these were recorded, Bellagio is your friend http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs83.html

You will see mention of sessions both in the spring and in December of 83. A couple of the songs from the list in the original post are not specifically mentioned, but I suspect they are part of the same Adrian Baker sessions and surely recorded around the same time.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:12:58 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 06:16:45 PM »

How did I miss that?

Spring, 1982:    ??  - Mike Love/Adrian Baker sessions: Dance, Dance, Dance/Let's Dance/Keep
        On Dancing/Do You Wanna Dance/Let's Party/American Girls
        [Baker's home studio, Essex England]

December, 1982: ??  - Mike Love/Adrian Baker sessions: Dancing On A Saturday Night/Summertime
        City [Baker's home studio, Essex England]

And there is an entry for 1981 sessions as well. Mystery solved on that. I suppose the question is what were these sessions for if not for a BB project?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »

I actually like "Hot summer lovin'" and think that it had a lot of potential  had it actually been finished but think "American Girls" is one of the worst vocals ever done by any of the beach boys.. the other two are just so so IMO...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:30:25 PM by joshferrell » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »

It doesn't seem likely any pitch correction (or incorrection?) has been applied to "American Girls." Tape speed variances also wouldn't explain the flatting, since the vocal and backing are presumably on the same tape.

I think it's just a wonky scratch vocal (perhaps not a good key for him?). Beyond simply having a rough go at the vocal, I suppose it's possible he's having trouble locking in a harmony among other voices that have been mixed out. The opening vocals in particular sound like backing/harmony vocals should be there.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:15:55 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »

Who said anything about tape speed variances? If you are familiar with the munchkin effect of digital pitch shifting, you can clearly hear this artifact on his vocal. Sounds like somebody played a mean joke on the Lovester at mixdown of this tune. There's no way he could have sung this out of tune even if he tried.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »

Yeah, it sounds to me like Mike's take has been sped up/changed afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:25:03 PM by Wuvvly Babes » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:04:22 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »

Why would somebody sabotage the recording like that? On the other hand if the vocals really were that terrible, who would bother to even mix it?

So far we have found out the source of the recordings but not yet the reason for them. Again, they can be found as the closing tracks of Dumb Angel Rarities Vol. 6 and therefore have been out there since 2001 according to this site:
http://bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=da007&section=14
If somebody did mess with the pitch, then why and by whom? Is this a fantastic forgery that has been around (mostly unnoticed) or an indication that Mike has pitch problems (which I've suspected in his lower register for some 15 years)? Either way, I've listened to it about a dozen times today (earlier anyway) and I'm still waiting for my jaw to pop back into place.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »

Who said anything about tape speed variances? If you are familiar with the munchkin effect of digital pitch shifting,
I wasn't familiar with the munchkin effect of digital pitch shifting. 

Then a little more elucidation is in order....

http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Munchkinization

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

I think you could just put it through an SPX 90 (I am pretty sure they were around then - they were ubiquitous not long after), and you'd get the vocal coming back in a different key.  It sounds like a joke someone pulled in the studio.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:56:53 PM by adamghost » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »

"Can't Stop Talkin'..." was offered to The BB. "Hot Summer Lovers" was originally titled "Hot Summer Singles". As for the off-key part, yeah, someone messed with the multis: I've heard a version that's perfectly in synch.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

Who said anything about tape speed variances? If you are familiar with the munchkin effect of digital pitch shifting, you can clearly hear this artifact on his vocal. Sounds like somebody played a mean joke on the Lovester at mixdown of this tune. There's no way he could have sung this out of tune even if he tried.

One of the posts above mentioned the prospect of tape speed variances. I was simply pointing out why that seemed unlikely.

As many have suggested, if anything has been altered, it would require access to the multitracks to alter the vocal separately from the backing track.

If this was done as a joke or prank, then it's a pretty obscure one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rogerlancelot
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:20 PM »

Thank you, AGD, for clearing all of it up. And what a strange prank for somebody to play back in the day.....
zachrwolfe
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:07:42 PM by zatch » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 11:53:06 PM »

"Can't Stop Talkin'..." was offered to The BB. "Hot Summer Lovers" was originally titled "Hot Summer Singles". As for the off-key part, yeah, someone messed with the multis: I've heard a version that's perfectly in synch.

Yeah, I was about to say, there is no way Mike could sing off like that...I don't think he could even do it joking around. It doesn't even sound professional.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx