gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681614 Posts in 27646 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 20, 2024, 11:41:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I slit my wrists to Pisces Brothers  (Read 13376 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »

"I still remember
Their soundin' sweet and tender
Singin' "Danny Boy" on Grandma's lap
And those harmony highs
Could bring tears to my eyes
I guess I'm just a sentimental sap"

This is what I'll think of when I think about Pisces Brothers...and I will think about it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »

I like it!  

It sounds very Mike to me for what it's worth........there are worst songs out there to cut your wrists to..

I think the only detraction from the song is the digital sounding recording.....doesn't have the 'warmth' it needs...

RickB
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:57:11 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »

Teenage gamblers
Sittin' in a Rambler.

Let us turn to the guru.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6NpfllZrdg

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »

"I still remember
Their soundin' sweet and tender
Singin' "Danny Boy" on Grandma's lap
And those harmony highs
Could bring tears to my eyes
I guess I'm just a sentimental sap"

This is what I'll think of when I think about Pisces Brothers...and I will think about it.
I love "Brian's Back," very glad you added that...

But, I wonder how much different is this, than "A Friend like You?" from "Gettin' in over my head" with Sir Paul that Brian did?

This song does the stream-of-consciousness, thing for me reminding me of the very sweet corpus of George's work...

Being born under a certain astrological sign seemed to bond people as they often have a common set of traits...as were George and Mike...I think it's a great song.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:41:39 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »

What are these common sets of traits?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »

What are these common sets of traits?
Well, in an overly broad generalization I found on examiner.com it says that the Pisces sign is "incredibly misunderstood" and it suggests that they are elusive and etheric...and are the "chameleons of the Zodiac" and I guess that thirty day birthday window was a commonality as between the two.  Perhaps they discussed this phenomenon of being born at the same time of the year and was a basis of connection for them... Wink
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »

Oh for Pete's sake...this is jive. EVEN though many of my pals were born late November/early December, I can't buy any mystical bond between Pisces or Virgo or et al. Commonalities perhaps, but not worthy of deep discussion.

What Pisces Brothers really is, is an attempt by Mike to gravy-train upon the whole Beatles thing. Like the guy at the party that tries too hard to fit in. Call it like I see it. Koo koo ka joob.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »

Oh for Pete's sake...this is jive. EVEN though many of my pals were born late November/early December, I can't buy any mystical bond between Pisces or Virgo or et al. Commonalities perhaps, but not worthy of deep discussion.

Why don't you like cosmos?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

What Pisces Brothers really is, is an attempt by Mike to gravy-train upon the whole Beatles thing. Like the guy at the party that tries too hard to fit in. Call it like I see it. Koo koo ka joob.
Probably not worth deep discourse, but I do think there are certain generalities with astrological signs.  One of my kids is the same sign as me and his grandfather. And, given the choice, it is always the water that we chose ( or would have) and that isn't the case with his brothers, ever.  At least it is a topic of conversation. Back-in-the day people often asked what "sign" you were.  

I think that everyone is struck by this Beatles thing...and even if they aren't your favorite band, they did have a huge impact on that generation.  
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »

But they are my favorite band. Mike just wants to deflect some of the 50 years ago on Sullivan media spotlight and say 'hey...both me and George studied TM in India! lemme tell ya all about it!'

I never ever doubted George's spiritual belief (and the music it created). Mike on the other hand...

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »

But they are my favorite band. Mike just wants to deflect some of the 50 years ago on Sullivan media spotlight and say 'hey...both me and George studied TM in India! lemme tell ya all about it!'

I never ever doubted George's spiritual belief (and the music it created). Mike on the other hand...
[/quote)

Did I write that ambiguously? Sorry.  Favorite band for me is BB.  The Ed Sullivan thing is sort of an historic thing.

And, I don't doubt Mike's sincerity to this TM thing.  They just did different things with it.  Their work showed a certain influence.

And I'm thinking more of the more recent impact on education and not to teach or convert people to Eastern philosophy but having taught in an urban school system, TM is being used as a skill set in some school systems as a vehicle to make kids less aggressive.  And I don't get the impression that Mike is "name dropping." I think people genuinely miss their band members and get sentimental and reminiscent at certain milestones in life.

And, I had a ticket to a cancelled BB Maharishi show. (I don't know if I've forgiven them, yet!)   LOL

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »

It may be worth noting that George, out of all the Beatles, was the only one who stuck to TM. Strangely enough, though, both Paul and Ringo showed up at a David Lynch TM event in 2009, so apparently they're now at least somewhat back into it. Or are willing to advocate it for other people. Oh, and look who they appeared at the event with.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »

Paul looks like he is bemused by Mike's presence. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »

Ringo is thinkin 'f*** mike, just say 'peace and love' and get it done with.

RickB
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »

I find the whole TM revival sort of weird. I don't think there's anything wrong with meditation itself, but transcendental meditation and the Maharishi cult is something different. Yet seeing articles and pictures from TM events of the past few years, there are tons of prominent celebs, including news media people and retired military personnel, who show up at David Lynch Foundation events. I'm sure Mike feels vindicated, but it makes me slightly uneasy that there is a slate of prominent citizens who are trying to introduce it into schools and the military.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »

TM is a scam to be honest. Its paying thousands of dollars for basic Indian teachings.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »

TM is a scam to be honest. Its paying thousands of dollars for basic Indian teachings.

Has also seemed like a less profitable, less cultish, less famous scientology.

Mike definitely gets a benefit for writing and talking about it constantly.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »

I may doubt his 'friendship' with George - how many times has he met him between 1968 and 2001? Once in 1971? But Mike's spiritual beliefs seem to be very real and genuine, he's kept them through decades when it was extremely unfashionable to have a guru and paint a tilaka in your forehead.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

I may doubt his 'friendship' with George - how many times has he met him between 1968 and 2001? Once in 1971? But Mike's spiritual beliefs seem to be very real and genuine, he's kept them through decades when it was extremely unfashionable to have a guru and paint a tilaka in your forehead.

I doubt he had any relationship with George outside Rishikesh, and maybe not even one inside Rishikesh.  I remember George talking about how Mike had brought all kinds of survival items with him and was trying to pawn off batteries and things like that.  Perhaps that was done in jest but I don't remember any of the Beatles saying positive things about him.  I remember Lennon was quoted as saying he was a jerk but not sure how solid that information is.

Either way I'm sure Mike was just beside himself because he got to pal around with the Beatles for awhile. 
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »

Does anyone else have this problem? This song is so beautiful and evocative and poignant that the only way I can channel the feelings through me is by slitting my wrists. Otherwise, I fear I'd explode with emotion.

By the way, was Mike sick when he recorded this song? His voice sounds really strained, but the struggle is what sells the song. When it's that hard for a guy to sing, it makes you appreciate the frailty of the human condition.

https://soundcloud.com/mikelovemusic-3/mike-love-pisces-brothers

HARE KRISHNA
LOVE + MERCY

Seems like if anyone wanted to slit their wrists to music why not choose something by the Doors, "I feel my cheek slide down the cool smooth tile. feel the good, cold stinging blood"...

Whateversongthatwas.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »

Mike writes a song which doesn't have nor nostalgic fun in the sun lyrics neither references to old BB hits.

WHAT MORE DO YOU PEOPLE WANT FROM HIM?Huh?  Cheesy

In this particular case, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it has been billed as a "tribute" to someone Mike professes to have been "friends" with who, by all accounts I've ever heard, didn't seem to give one fig about Mike Love (or the other BB's for that matter) after 1968, to say nothing of the alleged attitudes some or all of the Beatles had about Love even in 1968 (I believe Van Dyke Parks has related in the past that John Lennon related to him what the Beatles thought of Love). The nicest thing even McCartney said about Love in his own "authorized" biography was that Mike was an opportunistic capitalist even in India with the Maharishi; Love would go into town and buy a ton of camera film or batteries and then come back to the Maharishi compound and sell the stuff to everybody with a markup.  LOL

Mike seems to need to pad his resume so to speak when it's not needed. Just write a song and put it out, don't try to hook us in by pretending you were "friends" with George Harrison. Same thing with the live concerts: Just do the amazing songs from the BB's catalog, don't feel the need to try to get extra points by telling people you know John Stamos.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:01:24 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 02:22:34 AM »

There you have it.

I think we're getting  a bit carried away in the Mike bashing. Brian invited McCartney to sing in a track named 'A Friend like You' and no one criticized him for hyping up a friendship that just isn't there. Mutual admiration society, yes, but... Or maybe the song was so boring that it was easier to just moan that after all there years we finally had those two guys in the sane studio and it happened to be for that miserable track.

By the way, Mike wouldn't be the first person in the world that I'd ask to know more about Van Dyke. And the opposite may very well be true.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:36 AM »

Now's the time to repost this one.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 06:21:39 AM »

That is so perfect  LOL

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »

Now's the time to repost this one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA