gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 09:02:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks' initial non-involvement in C50  (Read 10719 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »

I seem to recall the original 2012 "Do It Again" video leaking and not having Marks being a part of it.

Seems crazy, but was he an afterthought somehow? If that's true, that would have been so very uncool.

Is the true answer to this question still a secret due to crazy BB politics?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:44 PM »

After the really great year we had in 2012 do we really need to sweat the small stuff? He was there for over 70 concerts plus media and special gigs such as BBC2 and RS. He played with Brian and Al last year and I'm pretty sure he's involved in Brian's new album. That's all that matters IMO.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »

I think this is an interesting topic. Sure, it doesn't matter now, but it matters as much as any minor detail you'd read in a biography of the band. If there was any point where Dave was not considered for the reunion, that would be an interesting factoid.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:50:33 PM »

Watching the "Do It Again" video supports the theory that he may not have been originally involved. In most group shots, Dave is not included. There are way too many shots with just Brian, Al, Mike and Bruce for it to be a coincidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKqMrMmj7I

It was shot creatively enough that they'll include shots of Dave individually playing guitar to make the viewer think "well, Dave's just playing guitar during this part." But, yeah, it looks like there was some footage added in with Dave playing guitar and the couple shots of all five together.

This likely means Dave did not actually play the solo he's miming in the video, right? It might also explain why Dave didn't have any vocals on the record and why his guitar playing was minimal.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:34:58 AM »

Just thinking aloud here, but maybe David's inclusion in C50 might, just might have been influenced in some way by forums such as this one ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »

They definitely made the right decision by including David. For a group that so often botches things up, I think this deserves a round of applause.  Cool Guy
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:38 AM »

Just thinking aloud here, but maybe David's inclusion in C50 might, just might have been influenced in some way by forums such as this one ?

I think that for the C53 tour next year Dean Torrance ought to be brought on stage every night to sing the lead on Barbara Ann during each and every encore.

I trust my suggestion has the support of all my fellow Smilers.

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 01:24:06 AM »

They definitely made the right decision by including David. For a group that so often botches things up, I think this deserves a round of applause.  Cool Guy
True. But they should have added Blondie and Ricky. Now that would have been the perfect reunion line-up:

Brian Wilson - Piano, Vocals
Mike Love - Vocals
Al Jardine - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals
David Marks - Lead Guitar
Bruce Johnston - Keyboards, Vocals
Blondie Chaplin - Bass, Vocals
Ricky Fataar - Drums, Vocals
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 01:37:48 AM »

True. But they should have added Blondie and Ricky. Now that would have been the perfect reunion line-up:

Mike Love - Vocals

I know it's a fantasy line-up, but I agree. So long as the BW & M&B bands' members are also retained.

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:32 AM »

Mike Love - Vocals

I know it's a fantasy line-up, but I agree. So long as the BW & M&B bands' members are also retained.

Jeff Foskett definitely, but i'm not so sure about all the others.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »

That had always been my impression.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »

I think that some may be perceiving the unreleased version of the Do It Again video in a way that puts the cart ahead of the horse a little bit. There is undoubtedly an early cut of the video that was made before David was contracted into the reunion lineup. However that version was not green-lighted for release due to the fact that the reunion plan or lineup hadn't been finalized, and wasn't until after David had been invited in. In fact it was Brian who requested that David come out to L.A. and add guitar to the Do It Again remake, which he definitely did. From there he was on board as the rest of the C50 plans solidified. The video was finished to reflect Dave's appearance on the session, notice Mike and Brian are both there in the studio with Dave on the final cut of the video. Someone leaked the unfinished version of the video pre-Dave for reasons i do not know. But the reunion came together like this...first Mike and Brian had to agree to get together, Bruce came along with Mike...then Al was negotiated in...there was a negotiation over which band would be the C50 band, Mike got his drummer and his musical director on board, Brian got his guys on board, the principals were completed when David joined in. Do It Again video was completed. Grammy appearance, TWGMTR sessions, TV appearances, Tour yada yada yada. And regarding the TWGMTR album credits...they are wrong, everybody who has looked at this carefully knows they are wrong. There are instruments on songs, obvious ones, that are not listed in the credits. There are also voices on the songs that are not listed in the credits. I think the credits were done in a rush, and for whatever reason were not complete. Dave's voice may be barely on the album, but I know he did do some vocal sessions as well as his guitar playing on the record, which is also under-credited...the credits missed at least one track he plays electric on, maybe two. But don't sweat it that there was some kind of conspiracy, or revelation...its was just an incremental, chronological, typically messy process. Dave was patient because he'd been told for a year or more prior to C50 by those who matter that he would be invited to participate in the reunion. He was happy when it became a reality and he became a Beach Boy again for a great year.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »

I think that some may be perceiving the unreleased version of the Do It Again video in a way that puts the cart ahead of the horse a little bit. There is undoubtedly an early cut of the video that was made before David was contracted into the reunion lineup. However that version was not green-lighted for release due to the fact that the reunion plan or lineup hadn't been finalized, and wasn't until after David had been invited in. In fact it was Brian who requested that David come out to L.A. and add guitar to the Do It Again remake, which he definitely did. From there he was on board as the rest of the C50 plans solidified. The video was finished to reflect Dave's appearance on the session, notice Mike and Brian are both there in the studio with Dave on the final cut of the video. Someone leaked the unfinished version of the video pre-Dave for reasons i do not know. But the reunion came together like this...first Mike and Brian had to agree to get together, Bruce came along with Mike...then Al was negotiated in...there was a negotiation over which band would be the C50 band, Mike got his drummer and his musical director on board, Brian got his guys on board, the principals were completed when David joined in. Do It Again video was completed. Grammy appearance, TWGMTR sessions, TV appearances, Tour yada yada yada. And regarding the TWGMTR album credits...they are wrong, everybody who has looked at this carefully knows they are wrong. There are instruments on songs, obvious ones, that are not listed in the credits. There are also voices on the songs that are not listed in the credits. I think the credits were done in a rush, and for whatever reason were not complete. Dave's voice may be barely on the album, but I know he did do some vocal sessions as well as his guitar playing on the record, which is also under-credited...the credits missed at least one track he plays electric on, maybe two. But don't sweat it that there was some kind of conspiracy, or revelation...its was just an incremental, chronological, typically messy process. Dave was patient because he'd been told for a year or more prior to C50 by those who matter that he would be invited to participate in the reunion. He was happy when it became a reality and he became a Beach Boy again for a great year.

And we've got our answer! Thanks Jon.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »

Thanks Jon, that's how it all seemed to me, but I am happy the real authority has explained it. Scott played a lead (in old, leaked video) that was replaced by Dave's new track. May I add that Dave plays two tracks, the rhythm that opens the song (an improvement on the original BB tune where that part is understated) and plays the lead. I recall reading he said BW had him do the two tracks: both are signature Marks and also a critical homage to Carl and to himself.  I also recall Brian saying the song and the reunion needed "Dave's energy," by which I would say he meant the historical power, authenticity, family connection, and, in a word, the magical component of love that having DM, a founder of the sound and his brothers' best friend,playing the guitar parts live and in the studio.

On the album, Dave fails to get credit for , at least, Strange World, where he must be playing and said he played various tracks (JS please help here). I don't know if he is on FHTBA or PCH vocally or guitar? I wish I knew which part he plays on Summer's Gone, but I think it's the plaintive, high Tahitian whine of longing one hears, passim, in this great piece.

I wonder if he played the added guitar track on Isn't it time, on the single version, a sweet, jingly rhythm that supports the ukulele part.

My deepest regret is that BIM was not developed to showcase his playing: his guitar is to low and understated: that song could have been so great, but someone under-produced it. Thoughts here?

DM is my favorite BB.

The Professor

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »

Thanks for the insight, Jon. I'm super glad that David was part of the reunion for a multitude of reasons. But the fact that the video was filmed and edited at all (sans David) tells me that there was at least a time when the BB were considering going forward without him. I can't imagine why the band would consent to filming a music video without a member (and have the music video edited) if there wasn't at least the possibility, or a moment in time, that the member was not going to be part of the proceedings. Especially for a video as important (at least as of then) to represent the band "reuniting". (While something similar happened with Brian being added later for the video for "Somewhere Near Japan", I assume the reasons behind that may have been Landy using Brian as a pawn or something similarly insidious).

Was this David incident perhaps something over money? I'm sure the full reasons have some degree of complexity to them. I understand if this is a topic that isn't able to be fully explored due to sensitive subject matter, and surely it's not really any of my business, but it has always been something that I've been curious about.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:32:08 PM by zatch » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »

Thanks for the insight, Jon. I'm super glad that David was part of the reunion for a multitude of reasons. But the fact that the video was filmed and edited at all (sans David) tells me that there was at least a time when the BB were considering going forward without him. I can't imagine why the band would consent to filming a music video without a member (and have the music video edited) if there wasn't at least the possibility, or a moment in time, that the member was not going to be part of the proceedings. Especially for a video as important (at least as of then) to represent the band "reuniting". (While something similar happened with Brian being added later for the video for "Somewhere Near Japan", I assume the reasons behind that may have been Landy using Brian as a pawn or something similarly insidious).

Was this David incident perhaps something over money? I'm sure the full reasons have some degree of complexity to them. I understand if this is a topic that isn't able to be fully explored due to sensitive subject matter, and surely it's not really any of my business, but it has always been something that I've been curious about.

I still say that the video was not really intended for the fans but more a promotional tool used to indicate the reunion was imminent. Without searching for an exact date, it leaked mid 2011 when promoter's are planning for the following year. The New Orleans Jazz Festival and Bonaroo people plus others needed to see what they would be getting for their outlay. Keep in mind, Mike and Bruce had been the Beach Boys for almost 15 years, was Brian up to it and enthused?  It showed the markets a group of guys of advanced years was still capable of recording and working together.

I think it was Al who said the reunion was going to generate $70m, and that was at the 50 gig stage. It was a huge undertaking and quite a risk when you think about it. As Jon has said, the initial video was leaked. It was very likely the backing musicians had not been finalised at that time either but a group were pulled together for the recording and shoot. Even getting Mike, Brian, Al and Bruce, the musicians, the Capitol studio, the film crew together for that clip must have taken some planning and Dave, on the East Coast, was busy. Who knows?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »

Mike Love - Vocals

Let's be realistic...

Brian Wilson- Swaying, Vocals
Mike Love- Sneers, Vocals
Al Jardine- Rhythm Guitar, Vocals
David Marks- Lead Guitar, Vocals
Bruce Johnston- Handclaps, Vocals
Blondie Chaplin- Bass, Vocas
Ricky Fataar- Drums, Vocals
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

You're looking at that early cut of the video as maybe more than it really was in the early days of the reunion's genesis. If you go back to the press or band comments around the time that session and video were begun, the group was saying they were trying an experiment to see if it worked. Getting back together for that track to see if the reunion was even a possibility. They were pleasantly surprised with the result. I think about 25 people were supposed to see that early version of the video, maybe some of the backers, maybe Joe Thomas' people who were trying to put together a deal with promoters etc... It wasn't intended for the public until it was finished... and until the track was finished, and due to Brian's wishes that was not the case until David put his guitar on it. I don't think we can say his participation was an afterthought because as I said David was told long before this that he'd be working with the group if a reunion indeed became a reality. I was sitting with him one day when he was on the phone with Brian, and Brian told him right then "we'll all be together again someday." That was probably in 2010. Mike and Al both told him similar things in the period after that. So why is he not in that early cut of the video, well, i can speculate a little...Maybe early on JT or some management element thought Dave's role would be just be more of a guest than a full member, i don't know...that's info i don't have any factual insight into...but I know Dave was alerted that if a reunion happened that he'd likely be a part of it. If there is any nefarious element to this it's the leak of that cut of the video, which leaked AFTER the final version had been released. It's as if someone was trying to stir something up that wasn't really anything. Knowing Dave he probably would have been cool if that early version of Do It Again had come out with Brian's approval, and then he was brought in later to be a part of the concerts or the album etc... But the reality is Brian didn't want that version to be the version, he wanted the one with Dave on it to be the first release of the reunion...he wanted the principals to be the four surviving originals plus Bruce. Like most of you i would have liked Blondie and Ricky to be added in some way, but by the time the reunion was being contracted and sessions recorded and dates booked and promotion being planned and executed it was clear the group was going to be Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Dave. I think the chemistry proved to be the right one. Something about 5 Beach Boys has always seemed right.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:17:19 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »

You're looking at that early cut of the video as maybe more than it really was in the early days of the reunion's genesis. If you go back to the press or band comments around the time that session and video were begun, the group was saying they were trying an experiment to see if it worked. Getting back together for that track to see if the reunion was even a possibility. They were pleasantly surprised with the result. I think about 25 people were supposed to see that early version of the video, maybe some of the backers, maybe Joe Thomas' people who were trying to put together a deal with promoters etc... It wasn't intended for the public until it was finished... and until the track was finished, and due to Brian's wishes that was not the case until David put his guitar on it. I don't think we can say his participation was an afterthought because as I said David was told long before this that he'd be working with the group if a reunion indeed became a reality. I was sitting with him one day when he was on the phone with Brian, and Brian told him right then "we'll all be together again someday." That was probably in 2010. Mike and Al both told him similar things in the period after that. So why is he not in that early cut of the video, well, i can speculate a little...Maybe early on JT or some management element thought Dave's role would be just be more of a guest than a full member, i don't know...that's info i don't have any factual insight into...but I know Dave was alerted that if a reunion happened that he'd likely be a part of it. If there is any nefarious element to this it's the leak of that cut of the video, which leaked AFTER the final version had been released. It's as if someone was trying to stir something up that wasn't really anything. Knowing Dave he probably would have been cool if that early version of Do It Again had come out with Brian's approval, and then he was brought in later to be a part of the concerts or the album etc... But the reality is Brian didn't want that version to be the version, he wanted the one with Dave on it to be the first release of the reunion...he wanted the principals to be the four surviving originals plus Bruce. Like most of you i would have liked Blondie and Ricky to be added in some way, but by the time the reunion was being contracted and sessions recorded and dates booked and promotion being planned and executed it was clear the group was going to be Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Dave. I think the chemistry proved to be the right one. Something about 5 Beach Boys has always seemed right.

That's some very interesting insight, thanks again Jon. Sometimes a peek behind the curtain (or a video leak, as it were) can make for some confusing interpretations. Those was a really sweet story you shared about the phone call. David seems to kind of be the role of both Brian and Mike's little brother nowadays. As you've said before, David really seems like the one and only guy who can navigate through all the BB "camps" without a problem. Maybe it's because he has way less baggage since he got out before the really wacky interpersonal stuff started happening. I like David a great deal, and as an outsider, to me, he seems to have a truly remarkable degree of level-headedness and just plain coolness.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:27:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »

Maybe for the C53 tour they could have Carl B Wilson on drums and Justyn Wilson on guitar!   Smiley The Beatles never did get around to reforming with Julian instead of John despite all the talk years ago, going back to Live Aid.  Also it was great to see Davis being part of C50.  I saw him in 2008 with Mike and Bruce and it added more authenticity to the proceedings.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:32:01 PM by zatch » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »

Hell no! Too close to the PS50 tour in 2016. Health permitting. Grin
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 02:36:17 AM »

Maybe for the C53 tour they could have Carl B Wilson on drums and Justyn Wilson on guitar!   Smiley

And Christian Love on falsetto! Smiley

Dream, dream, drea-eam, drea-ea-ea-ea-eam...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 07:07:06 AM »

We obviously know that Dave was invited in the end, and this made total sense for all parties involved. For fans, it makes sense to get all five of those guys together. For the band, especially Brian, Mike, and to some degree Al, it also provided a stronger connection to the band’s past. For promoters and the record label, it was stronger marketing to present a five-man reunion lineup rather than four.

But looking at the different edits of the “Do It Again” film perhaps ignores the fact that that initial 2011 session was scheduled and undertaken without Dave. It isn’t just that an early, never-intended-for-release edit of the film doesn’t show Dave. The interesting (and yes, ultimately inconsequential, again, this is just nerd trivia at this stage) question is why wasn’t Dave invited to the first session? By all accounts, he was not called; it doesn’t appear he simply couldn’t make it due to scheduling. It would be interesting to know whether initial plans specifically did not call for him to be involved, or if they always planned to have him involved, but maybe not to such a large degree. But if the reunion was ultimately going to move forward, this first session would be the first unveiling, the first footage of all of these guys making music together in 15 or so years. If they planned all along to have Dave as a full-fledged member for any eventual reunion, it would be odd to leave him out of that first session, that first footage of all the guys singing around one microphone.

I always viewed that first 2011 “Do It Again” session as truly a “test” or “experiment.” Those guys can knock that song out in their sleep, so it wasn’t challenging musically. The question was how they would function in the studio, and could they get through a session and play nice. So I always assumed Dave wasn’t needed for that purpose. He’s the only one of those guys who has, by virtue of being out of the band for most of its dicey years and not being involved in the corporate structure, remained pretty immune to the politics and backbiting and all of that. There probably was never any question about whether Dave could “play nice” with the other guys, so he wasn’t needed for that “experimental” session. One could argue they all might play a little nicer with Dave in there (sort of the Billy Preston in “Let It Be” effect), but if they could get along in that initial session, then Dave would not be any problem interpersonally.

But it seems likely, to me, that someone involved in putting that reunion together in its initial stages, was not taking David Marks into full consideration from the get-go, for whatever reason.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx