gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 01:43:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does Bruce sing lead on Wendy at live shows?  (Read 2018 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:21:56 AM »

This is something I've wondered for years. When Wendy was added to the setlist in the early 90s, Bruce was assigned the lead and has continued to sing it since then. Anyone know why Mike doesn't sing the lead? We know the reasons behind him not wanting to sing lead on getcha back (though I think his 2004 lead on that was great!), but I've never heard anything about Wendy. Any ideas?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »

This is something I've wondered for years. When Wendy was added to the setlist in the early 90s, Bruce was assigned the lead and has continued to sing it since then. Anyone know why Mike doesn't sing the lead? We know the reasons behind him not wanting to sing lead on getcha back (though I think his 2004 lead on that was great!), but I've never heard anything about Wendy. Any ideas?

I always got the impression that for whatever reason Bruce demurs when asked about singing more leads. "Wendy" strikes me as one of the least taxing, most low key lead vocals out of the pool of songs they could work from, so I would guess that was a small thing to throw Bruce's way that he wouldn't decline.

I remember after the very early C50 shows, there was actually some confusion about who was even singing the lead. As in, a few people who went to the shows couldn't figure out who was singing the lead. That's how low key it is!  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »

We know the reasons behind him not wanting to sing lead on getcha back...

Eric - I Guess I've never heard those reasons...care to share?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:13 AM »

Mike has said that he had Dennis in mind when writing Getcha Back. It was sort of a tribute to him in a way. He always felt that it should have a tighter grittier lead. I think he felt that Christian and David both were closer to the sound he wanted.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »

Mike has said that he had Dennis in mind when writing Getcha Back. It was sort of a tribute to him in a way. He always felt that it should have a tighter grittier lead. I think he felt that Christian and David both were closer to the sound he wanted.

Wow, that's cool. Is there a specific interview where he talks about this?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »

I don't remember the source for that info on Getcha Back. But it has been discussed here several times on this board. I wish I could remember who brought it up.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »

He probably just likes singing it, not much more to it than that.  I get the feeling Mike likes to shuffle the vocal duties around as much as possible to give his voice a rest aside from the more popular numbers like California Girls, I Get Around, Surfin' USA, or Fun Fun Fun where the audience will really want to hear Mike sing those ones.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »

I really like Brucey singing Wendy, especially at the C50 show I saw.

To add to the point of Mike shuffling vocal duties, David was given Catch a Wave + Hawaii in the early shows (right?) and sang Getcha Back for the whole tour. His vocal delivery on GB was so so good, I'm glad they gave it to him. That was like the only song to make it through the C50 live CD un-butcheredbyJoeThomas.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »

I really like Brucey singing Wendy, especially at the C50 show I saw.

To add to the point of Mike shuffling vocal duties, David was given Catch a Wave + Hawaii in the early shows (right?) and sang Getcha Back for the whole tour. His vocal delivery on GB was so so good, I'm glad they gave it to him. That was like the only song to make it through the C50 live CD un-butcheredbyJoeThomas.
It was just Hawaii. When Getcha Back was added, the lead on Hawaii immediately reverted back to Mike.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx