gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:38:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Needed with Finding a Dennis Wilson Quote...  (Read 3880 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:19:53 AM »

I'm pretty sure Dennis was quoted somewhere about their first gig, and he specifically mentioned Al's upright bass...but I can't find it now. I've looked in the Leaf book, the Preiss book, and the Gaines book (doesn't mean it isn't in one of those, just that I couldn't find it). If some kind, intrepid soul could point me to it, I'd be very grateful.  Smiley
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »

Seems I recall it being mentioned somewhere that Al played a stand-up base in the Surfin' recording session.  Could that be what Dennis was referring to?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:25 AM »

Seems I recall it being mentioned somewhere that Al played a stand-up base in the Surfin' recording session.  Could that be what Dennis was referring to?
I think c-man is looking for the actual (verbatim) quote, not what is was referring to. But I might be wrong..

On topic: I recall several BBs at one point or another remembering Al with the upright bass at early sessions. I don't have any sources, though (least of all Denny-specific). Undecided
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

Dennis mentions Alan playing a stand-up bass which was taller than him (Alan) in a December 1970 print interview.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:58:26 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »

The recording session anecdotes are common, but it's the live gig quote C-man is looking for. I have an interview I did with Al where he says he absolutely played the standup bass at the first live Beach Boys gigs.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »

The recording session anecdotes are common, but it's the live gig quote C-man is looking for. I have an interview I did with Al where he says he absolutely played the standup bass at the first live Beach Boys gigs.

And Maybe he did. or maybe someone told him he did, and that's what he remembers; now if only the person that told him would come forward.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »

"We then played at balls for men who were all over 60. Alan played a stand-up bass which was bigger than him."

References

Close-up...Dennis Wilson (1970).

I realise that the quote isn't specifically about the first gig, but it's as close as I can get Grin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:57:47 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »

Thanks Metal Flake, that's the exact quote I was looking for.  Where did you happen to run across it...was it reprinted in some book or another?
The reason I was looking for it at this particular moment is b/c I was trying to determine if Dennis was speaking of the very first time they played live, or was speaking of an un-specific number of early gigs...specifically, b/c of Carl's statement in the Tiger Beat interview quoted in Jon and Ian's "In Concert" book (page 5), in which he says that Brian started playing electric bass for the Wink Martindale-hosted dance show on KHJ TV December 30, which is generally accepted to be their second gig (imagine if the footage from that broadcast showed up someday...but I'm not holding my breath, since a lot of local broadcasts in those days were "live", with no film or videotape recorded).  

So, perhaps Dennis' memory of Al playing the upright bass at their very first gig melded with his memory of their very first national tour a year-and-a-half later, where they played at various ballrooms across the midwest, with Al playing electric bass by this time, in his capacity as a stand-in for Brian.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:03:32 AM by c-man » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »

Thanks Metal Flake, that's the exact quote I was looking for.  Where did you happen to run across it...was it reprinted in some book or another?
The reason I was looking for it at this particular moment is b/c I was trying to determine if Dennis was speaking of the very first time they played live, or was speaking of an un-specific number of early gigs...specifically, b/c of Carl's statement in the Tiger Beat interview quoted in Jon and Ian's "In Concert" book (page 5), in which he says that Brian started playing electric bass for the Wink Martindale-hosted dance show on KHJ TV December 30, which is generally accepted to be their second gig (imagine if the footage from that broadcast showed up someday...but I'm not holding my breath, since a lot of local broadcasts in those days were "live", with no film or videotape recorded).  

So, perhaps Dennis' memory of Al playing the upright bass at their very first gig melded with his memory of their very first national tour a year-and-a-half later, where they played at various ballrooms across the midwest, with Al playing electric bass by this time, in his capacity as a stand-in for Brian.

You're most welcome, c-man.

I have a photocopy of the original article in my collection, although it's missing publication details. Luckily, the interviewer mentions the location (Park Lane's Inn On The Park) and that Dennis' 26th birthday was tomorrow (Friday), which most likely narrows it down to a UK magazine issued in late 1970.

Interestingly, part of that interview (which omits the reference to Al) appears in the Preiss book on p. 12.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:12:12 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 03:28:21 AM »

Alternatively, Dennis could have been recalling the stand-up bass rented for the first Morgan session and and assuming (entirely reasonably) it was used during the first few live gigs. I recall someone stating that for those shows, Brian just stood alongside Mike and sang.

The UK 'zine the interview it appeared in would have been NME, Melody Maker, Disc & Music Echo, a very early edition of Sounds... maybe Rave if it was still going then. Craig, is you like, and there's time, I can research it for you - having a very specific date is immensely helpful !

I have a photocopy of the original article in my collection, although it's missing publication details. Luckily, the interviewer mentions the location (Park Lane's Inn On The Park) and that Dennis' 26th birthday was tomorrow (Friday), which most likely narrows it down to a UK magazine issued in late 1970.

Interestingly, part of that interview (which omits the reference to Al) appears in the Preiss book on p. 12.

Very late 1970, as the interview was conducted on 12/3/70... and that raises a problem, unless Dennis came back down to London that day, because the band were in the middle of a six-day residency at the Fiesta Night Club in Sheffield. Dammit, is nothing ever simple with these people ?!!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:34:03 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

Two possible articles:

Record Mirror, December 19, 1970, "Big Brother Is Watching Me" Interview with Dennis and review of Sound of Free
Disc and Music Echo, December 5, 1970, "Life is Fun on the Beach . . ." color centre-fold on Dennis

It is NOT in this article:
New Musical Express, December 12, 1970, "Beach Boys Still Fighting Old Surfer Image"

I don't think Record Mail was still publishing in 1970.

In the immortal words of Del Shannon, I'll keep searchin', searchin' . . .
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »

From what I've researched so far, the style and layout of Dennis's interview doesn't seem to be consistent with that of 1970s-early '71 issues of NME, Music Now, Disc and Music Echo, Rave, Record Mirror or Beat Instrumental.

"The Beach Boys: In their own words" (p. 18) also uses the same section of the interview with Dennis that appears in the Preiss book, again omitting the reference to Al and his stand-up bass. Frustratingly, neither book references the original source Angry

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »

Alternatively, Dennis could have been recalling the stand-up bass rented for the first Morgan session and and assuming (entirely reasonably) it was used during the first few live gigs. I recall someone stating that for those shows, Brian just stood alongside Mike and sang.

The UK 'zine the interview it appeared in would have been NME, Melody Maker, Disc & Music Echo, a very early edition of Sounds... maybe Rave if it was still going then. Craig, is you like, and there's time, I can research it for you - having a very specific date is immensely helpful !

Very late 1970, as the interview was conducted on 12/3/70... and that raises a problem, unless Dennis came back down to London that day, because the band were in the middle of a six-day residency at the Fiesta Night Club in Sheffield. Dammit, is nothing ever simple with these people ?!!  Grin

Not only Dennis, but also Al, as he appears late in the interview Shocked  Perhaps they wanted to repeat their shopping spree of 1966 Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 03:50:41 AM »

I imagine it would be quite possible for the author of the article to have either been onsite in Sheffield to conduct the interview at the Fiesta Club or the band's hotel, or possibly over the phone, right?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 04:02:00 AM »

Yes, of course, but according to MFP, the interview took place in a London hotel.

Curioser and curioser, opined Alice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »

Hmmm...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dennis-Wilson-of-The-Beach-Boys-in-London-Photo-/231135319394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d0bd1562

Interestingly, the interviewer mentions Dennis plucking a flower from a table vase and placing it into the button hole of his suit.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:56:39 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »

Do we have a winner Johnny..??
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »

No winner yet as there's no logical explanation as to why Dennis (and Al) would make a six hour round trip from Sheffield to London return to conduct an interview at a London hotel in the middle of their Fiesta Club stint in Sheffield.

Regards,

Johnny Dew Wink

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »

No winner yet as there's no logical explanation as to why Dennis (and Al) would make a six hour round trip from Sheffield to London return to conduct an interview at a London hotel in the middle of their Fiesta Club stint in Sheffield.

Regards,

Johnny Dew Wink

Probably involved Dennis , a woman and old wood

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »

I probably have the magazine but cannot check for a few dayss
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »

Looking at the article published in Disc and Music Echo on Dec 5 1970, I think that the writer was not saying that as he spoke to Dennis it was the day before his birthday-but the day this would come out was the day before his birthday! Based on other things I have-I believe that the issues would come out a few days before the cover date.  This Disc probably came out on Thursday and the birthday was Friday, etc, etc.  Interview probably took place at some point after their arrival in mid Nov 70.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »

Looking at the article published in Disc and Music Echo on Dec 5 1970, I think that the writer was not saying that as he spoke to Dennis it was the day before his birthday-but the day this would come out was the day before his birthday! Based on other things I have-I believe that the issues would come out a few days before the cover date.  This Disc probably came out on Thursday and the birthday was Friday, etc, etc.  Interview probably took place at some point after their arrival in mid Nov 70.

Can you post it for us to read?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »

I like to accommodate but this one is hard to scan-it is a double  page  oversized spread in the mag and would take some time to scan.  we'll see.  Has nice pic of Dennis talking at the restaurant.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »

Thanks for finding the source of the quote, Ian.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx