gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 01:21:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: '5 Classic Albums' release  (Read 25078 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 10:16:31 PM »

Pet Sounds
Today
Summer Days
Sunflower
Holland

I wish...

Me too!   Rock!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »

My guess:

Surfer girl
All summer long
Today
Smiley smile
Wild Honey

My wish:

Friends
Sunflower
Carl & the passions - so tough
L.A. light album
Summer in paradise (just to get it in print again!)

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2013, 06:33:55 AM »

Pet Sounds
Today
Summer Days
Sunflower
Holland

I wish...

Me too!   Rock!

.... and Wild Honey. Screw it, make it six classic albums.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29860947

Okay, so it is Pet Sounds, Summer Days, Surfin' USA, All Summer Long, and Little Deuce Coupe.

Having bought all of these on CD last year, I will not need this set.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »

Okay, so it is Pet Sounds, Summer Days, Surfin' USA, All Summer Long, and Little Deuce Coupe.

Damnit Why did they choose those albums?!
Little Deuce Coupe sucks, All Summer Long is overrated, Surfin USA and Summer Days are all-right and not some of their very best, and Pet Sounds is everywhere!
I would have replaced them with Sunflower, 20/20, Wild Honey, Surf's Up, and Holland
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »

Wow!  I'm totally surprised.  I'm happy that it's at least five real, actual albums.  That's way cooler than it COULD have been!   Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »

What else could 5 classic albums have been other than actual albums?

“We live in divisive times.”
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 11:46:54 PM »

Greatest Hits comps; worse yet, NEW greatest hits comps assembled just for this package.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 12:24:29 AM »

Truncated versions of 4 classic albums, plus Pet Sounds  Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 02:31:10 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe sucks, All Summer Long is overrated, Surfin USA and Summer Days are all-right and not some of their very best, and Pet Sounds is everywhere!
I would have replaced them with Sunflower, 20/20, Wild Honey, Surf's Up, and Holland

Maybe non-Capitol albums weren't on the table.

Please delete my account
bluesno1fann
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Wild Honey and 20/20 are both Capitol albums!
But if you're correct, I would have instead added Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:24:10 AM by bluesno1fann » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »

But if you're correct, I would have instead added Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20

That'd be ten CDs including two copies of Pet Sounds…
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:27:19 AM by John Manning » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2013, 04:44:28 AM »

Yea! All of Brian Wilson's music sucked big time prior to Pet Sounds. They should be taken out of production and never available again to the public. Their singing sucks on them too! How dare Capitol put out such rotten stinkin' albums. And those hits on them, boy how much do they suck? What was Capitol thinking? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »

I did say instead
bluesno1fann
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2013, 04:53:22 AM »

Yea! All of Brian Wilson's music sucked big time prior to Pet Sounds. They should be taken out of production and never available again to the public. Their singing sucks on them too! How dare Capitol put out such rotten stinkin' albums. And those hits on them, boy how much do they suck? What was Capitol thinking? Wink
It's not so much that. In fact it's not that at all. It's just that their late 60's and early 70's work is a lot better
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2013, 05:04:14 AM »

It's not so much that. In fact it's not that at all. It's just that their late 60's and early 70's work is a lot better

I love all the albums you listed.
And I would not say better. Pre and post Pet Sounds Beach Boys is like 2 sides of a coin i.e. very different. Why bother comparing them like one is better than the other?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2013, 05:18:59 AM »

I did say instead

and "added"   :D

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2013, 06:14:34 AM »

Difficult to argue that selection, although you could make a strong case for Surfer Girl over USA.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:18:17 AM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2013, 06:18:53 AM »

Difficult to argue that selection, although you could make a strong case for Surfer Girl over USA.

I don't know; Today! seems like a pretty glaring omission.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2013, 06:23:55 AM »

There is a reason why the 5 albums picked are from 1963 through 1966. Care to venture a guess? Which 5 do you think will sell more, 63-66 or 66-69?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2013, 06:27:58 AM »

There is a reason why the 5 albums picked are from 1963 through 1966. Care to venture a guess? Which 5 do you think will sell more, 63-66 or 66-69?

… also suspect they're trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of the recent remasters… though there's no indication yet that they'll be the mono/stereo versions we had last year.

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2013, 06:32:42 AM »

Yeah.  In addition to that, I don't think "classic" is necessarily synonymous with "best."  I think "classic" implies a lasting cultural impact, and even though I think Wild Honey, Friends, and Sunflower are all better albums than Surfin' U.S.A. or Little Deuce Coupe, none of them has had as significant a cultural impact.

My preference would probably have been Surfer Girl, All Summer Long, Today!, Summer Days, and Pet Sounds, though I guess in terms of cultural impact Surfin' U.S.A. is more significant than even some of those because it marks the moment when they became a big deal.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2013, 06:35:24 AM »

… also suspect they're trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of the recent remasters… though there's no indication yet that they'll be the mono/stereo versions we had last year.
Walmart lists 12 songs per album, so not those m/s remasters. But it does not say if Summer Days and Pet Sounds are in stereo or the original mono releases.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2013, 06:37:45 AM »

Yeah.  In addition to that, I don't think "classic" is necessarily synonymous with "best."  I think "classic" implies a lasting cultural impact, and even though I think Wild Honey, Friends, and Sunflower are all better albums than Surfin' U.S.A. or Little Deuce Coupe, none of them has had as significant a cultural impact.

My preference would probably have been Surfer Girl, All Summer Long, Today!, Summer Days, and Pet Sounds, though I guess in terms of cultural impact Surfin' U.S.A. is more significant than even some of those because it marks the moment when they became a big deal.
You get very little Drag songs with your picks. These 5 give a very good representation of all of their styles through those years.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2013, 06:39:52 AM »

Yeah.  In addition to that, I don't think "classic" is necessarily synonymous with "best."  I think "classic" implies a lasting cultural impact, and even though I think Wild Honey, Friends, and Sunflower are all better albums than Surfin' U.S.A. or Little Deuce Coupe, none of them has had as significant a cultural impact.

You get very little Drag songs with your picks. These 5 give a very good representation of all of their styles through those years.

Ah yes, I hadn't considered that.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx