gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681515 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 03:14:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My book I Can Hear Music. Can we work together to get this out?  (Read 8917 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »

Mike, have you shared info about this Presley book on the board? Or perhaps on the FECC board?  Big Elvis fan here.  We're both on that board as well!
MBE
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »

Mike, have you shared info about this Presley book on the board? Or perhaps on the FECC board?  Big Elvis fan here.  We're both on that board as well!
I talked about it a bit tonight on FECC on the books thread. There are a lot of Beach Boys fans who like Elvis and vice versa. I think it's because people who like them both are really fans of the human voice and what can be accomplished with it. A few excerpts are being printed in The Elvis Files Magazine this first issue and next. Backbeat Publishing is putting out my Elvis Records FAQ as part of the FAQ series-which Jon did a great Beach Boys volume in. It's a lot like that one in format, with the main difference being that each Elvis song released in his lifetime (and major ones that have come out since) gets a review. The reason for this is twofold. One there is a separate book being done by someone else for the FAQ series on Elvis' movies so I don't really touch on those deeply except quick summary's and of course the music in them The second reason each record release is getting so much attention in that because of the spate of bootleg and official releases put out since 1977, Elvis own vision has been somewhat lost. Basically I am trying to put the music back in the context with which he released each record. It's a lot of work but it's going nicely. I haven't done much press on it yet as I am spending most of my time writing it and have to discuss more with Backbeat what they have in mind on that front, but this is the basics on it.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »

Sounds excellent and I shall purchase a copy when it is released.  I like the FAQ series and I'm sure your Presley book will be a fine addition to the series.   I'll be sure to keep a look out for it!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »

I'm a pretty big Elvis fan too. I started to collect his albums on cd, but I stopped simply because there is so much stuff out there, from when he was alive, and post 1977 albums, box sets, bootlegs, etc. I just got waaaaay overwhelmed. Your book might be an essential tool for fans like myself.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »

I'm a pretty big Elvis fan too. I started to collect his albums on cd, but I stopped simply because there is so much stuff out there, from when he was alive, and post 1977 albums, box sets, bootlegs, etc. I just got waaaaay overwhelmed. Your book might be an essential tool for fans like myself.  Smiley

It will be very helpful that way at least that's the main goal of the book  If you just want one of each master on CD I recommend the very expensive but basically definitive Complete Masters Box Set. It's good because you can hear it all in order, discover what you like best, and either stop there or start collecting specific areas. It also has a book on each album and single.

My quick advise from there, or instead of that, is either to do the vinyl releases that were put out during his lifetime (good reissues are fine like Music On Vinyl or Friday Music), or simply try to get all the classic album releases on FTD CD and or vinyl. Best context for the music I feel. Any title you want to ask me about before you buy it feel free to email me on it. It's very complex which are good or aren't pressing and or mix wise. I'm better about vinyl than CD, but caught up a lot there for the book.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »

I remember that name I think. What have they put out that you read?

Mike, DaCapo are the publishers of the "current" edition of Steve Gaines' Heroes and Villians.

Sadly, I'm as connected as Al Jardine's guitar lead, but I'll eagerly add my voice to any community based support mechanisms you employ.

Good luck -A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 11:52:10 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Mike.  Smiley My problem is that I am what you might call a "purist". My ideal Elvis collection would be every album on cd released in his lifetime, with original artwork and mastering just as it was when it was first released when Elvis was alive. I do have a few box sets, like the complete Sun masters set. I think it was called something like "The young man with the big beat".
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:53:09 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »

I remember that name I think. What have they put out that you read?

Mike, DaCapo are the publishers of the "current" edition of Steve Gaines' Heroes and Villians.

Sadly, I'm as connected as Al Jardine's guitar lead, but I'll eagerly add my voice to any community based support mechanisms you employ.

Good luck -A

Thanks for letting me know a bit more about DaCapo. I feel like I have a lot more to go on now.

Jay the closest on CD you will get is the classic album FTD's. None of the other CD issues have a real sense of that. I'm a vinyl purist mostly but I like them all.  They always include the vinyl artwork and though they have a ton of bonus stuff, the original LP concept is clearly presented. Go to Elvis.com you can get them from the store there. An even better source is theelvisshoplondon.com. The shipping is about the same as is the cost. It actually gets here faster too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 05:12:10 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Mike.  Smiley My problem is that I am what you might call a "purist". My ideal Elvis collection would be every album on cd released in his lifetime, with original artwork and mastering just as it was when it was first released when Elvis was alive. I do have a few box sets, like the complete Sun masters set. I think it was called something like "The young man with the big beat".

"Young man with the big beat". That one is about 1956 alone. Unfortunately they messed up (like so many times with a Presley-release) when they didn't get the unreleased '56 concert (the one at the Hayride in December) to have the right speed.

Otherwise check out the "Follow that dream" classic albums series. That is fantastic. You get a look into how he worked in the studio for each original album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »

Don't want to jump the gun, but I did hear from a publisher today about the book. If all goes well it will be out in January.  Can't reveal anything else yet but I will keep you all posted.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »

Hell yeah!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »

Great News! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »

Awesome man! Fingers crossed!
MBE
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »

Thanks!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »

Congrats! Accepted in early Oct, out in January? Publishers move faster than they used to in this electronic age.
MBE
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »

Well I have no commitment yet, but I am pretty hopeful. Yes I guess they do work fast now.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »

Don't want to jump the gun, but I did hear from a publisher today about the book. If all goes well it will be out in January.  Can't reveal anything else yet but I will keep you all posted.

Happy Dance

Wow! Yes! Please let us know as soon as you find out! I cannot wait to read this book!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »

Don't toy with our hearts, I don't think we can take the disappointment!  Grin

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
MBE
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »

I will keep everyone here up to date. As soon as I know something solid you will too. Thanks so much for being behind this.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »

Congratulations, Mike! Knock on wood  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »

Congratulations, Mike! Knock on wood  Grin
Thank you I will know by the end of the month.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »

Mike, don't thank us, thank yourself. It's clear from your posts that you really did homework and incorporated every article and interview written about The Beach Boys throughout their history. That's why we're excited.

MBE
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »

Mike, don't thank us, thank yourself. It's clear from your posts that you really did homework and incorporated every article and interview written about The Beach Boys throughout their history. That's why we're excited.
I still need to thank you all. I have worked on this on and off since 1994, had it on my mind all through college, worked on it as I was getting into the business, basically my whole career and adult life was directed by my passion for this book. That it is finally making some serious leeway is a dream come true. This board plays such a big part in it all. The majority on here have made it clear that a balanced Beach Boys book away from the Brian and five a--holes stuff, is not only acceptable but welcomed.  I also can't thank authors like Jon, Andrew, Ian, and Mark enough for their tireless work. They also made it possible for people to think that maybe the "other" Beach Boys were actually talented and a big part of why The Beach Boys were so good and why Brian was able to make so many inroads. 
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

Your modesty is definitely well taken by everyone here, but I still insist that you pat yourself on the back for this one, you earned it.  Wink Can't wait to read the book.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 07:13:55 AM »

It's really good, too, guys. You'll love it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx