gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 07:29:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's More Important To You, Lyrics Or The Music?  (Read 2065 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »

Both go hand in hand..Bob Dylan once said "Without the words there is no music."..
Well to be honest I always favored the music instead of the lyrics but bands like:
The Who (Tommy & Quadrophenia)
Pink Floyd (Darkside of the Moon,Animals & The Wall)
The Kinks (Something Else,Village Green,Arthur)
Genesis (The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway)
made me look deeper into the lyrics mainly because of the Rock Opera/Concept Albums that interest me at this moment in my music journey. It showed me a new world Smiley ...
When you hear a song what's the first thing you check out?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:56:55 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »

Music.

There are only a few lyricists that I really admire: Randy Newman, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Ray Davies, Jarvis Cocker, Harry Nilsson, Beck. Aside from those guys I rarely pay too much attention to lyrics - with exceptions for Van Dyke and Tony Asher but aside from Smile and Song Cycle, I feel like Van Dyke's main strength is in his music and arrangements.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »

Luckily, Most songs have both!!!!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »

What's more important to you, Ronald?

Or was that your response because you're equally a fan of both the words and fingermovings of the songs you listen to?

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »

Music all the way. You can lie to somebody with words but never with music.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »

Or was that your response because you're equally a fan of both the words and fingermovings of the songs you listen to?

What's fingermovings???
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »

What's fingermovings???

The noises in songs not made by vocal chords.

No mas, por favor.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »

I like both.  In general I like everything and everybody.  I don't see the point in sitting down and pondering whether or not I like lyrics better, or music better, when most songs have both... and if they dont, I'll enjoy that too.  So I'd rather spend my time enjoying things than obsessing over which I like less. 

I just don't understand the need to categorize everything into boxes.  What will we do with the results?  If we all decide that music is more important than lyrics, does that mean we just abandon lyrics?  Which is more ridiculous, my conclusion, or the trip we took to it?

I'm just commenting on NewGuy's obsession with "WHICH IS BETTER, BASS GUITARS OR REGULAR GUITARS???"  and "I LIKE GIRLS VOICES BETTER THAN GUYS" and "IN AUGUST OF 74, NOBODY WAS BETTER THAN DYLAN"... or "I ONLY PARK MY CAR IN PARKING LOTS THAT HAVE YELLOW STRIPES, THE WHITE STRIPED ONES GET DIRTY QUICKER" or the millions of other inconsequential things in life.

Just enjoy the yellow lines and the white lines.  Smiley  BTW, I like NewGuy.  Because I like everything and everybody. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »

Because I like everything and everybody. 

Who R yr top 10 posters on this board?  Smiley Angry Huh Roll Eyes Undecided Evil Afro 3D Wink LOL (ok that's enough of that.)

Really, I do agree. I get ranking things--I think we've all had our moments when it seemed really essential for one reason or another. But everything, all the time? I think it is more interesting to actually discuss something than slap a number in front of it and call it a day.

That said, whatever gets a person listening to more music, in the end can't be all bad. (Unless it is some psychosis that also makes him murder people. That would be bad, I guess.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

I might say sh*t that pisses you guys off and you guys might sometimes say stuff that I disagree with ..at the end of the day we all listen to similar music(good stuff) and I like that...all of you are cool to me.  angel
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »

Likewise. Well, except for Cohen. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »

btw, I think music lies to people, too. Well, not quite lies, but certainly stretches the truth.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »

The music by a mile. No contest.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »

People always talk about Bob Dylan in terms of the lyrics he writes, but I wouldn't listen to his albums if I didn't like the music.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »

The music by a mile. No contest.

Same here.  Great music can save bad lyrics, but great lyrics can't compensate for awful music.  Ideally (for me, anyways), lyrics function as a delivery mechanism for a melody, not the other way around.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx