gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 04:58:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" at Dodger Stadium  (Read 85879 times)
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2012, 02:14:11 AM »

One other thing... it seems like the boys just don´t stand close to the mikes??? They should know that to get the voices out there they should do what Jeff does.. HAVE YOUR MOUTH UPCLOSE TO THE MICROPHONE!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #301 on: April 11, 2012, 02:29:29 AM »

But again, that's up to the sound guys to fix. Some people don't work close to the mic, especially if they're used to doing backgrounds.
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 11, 2012, 02:32:19 AM »

But again, that's up to the sound guys to fix. Some people don't work close to the mic, especially if they're used to doing backgrounds.

yeah that´s true. And they probably heard themselves good in their earphones to.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2012, 02:36:25 AM »

I really doubt jeff abuses Brian like that. Brian needs a minder and Jeff plays that (not easy) role. He seems like a good guy to me and Brian obviously agrees
Paulos
« Reply #304 on: April 11, 2012, 02:36:54 AM »

Can someone please clarify who was the lead vocal on SSB? Everyone is saying it's Foskett but I have no idea what his head voice sounds like, to me it sounded like Al. As for Foskett's falsetto parts, far too shrill and prominent, turn his mike down next time please!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:40 AM »

Can someone please clarify who was the lead vocal on SSB? Everyone is saying it's Foskett but I have no idea what his head voice sounds like, to me it sounded like Al. As for Foskett's falsetto parts, far too shrill and prominent, turn his mike down next time please!

I'm pretty sure that's Jeff, layered with a few other unrecognizable voices.

Al should've taken lead on that one.

So, uhh.. about the new record...  Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2012, 04:08:53 AM »

If Brian bottles a line or freaks out, which, you know, is entirely possible considering he is singing acapella in a baseball stadium with 400 things going on around him, you'll hear Jeff. It's well known Jeff covers Brian on more difficult songs, and this certainly qualifies.

So you know whose fault it is that you hear Jeff so much in this? It's Brian's.

He's not dominating. He's just singing his part like he's told to do, and because his voice is in better shape than any Beach Boy besides maybe Al he is heard more. What's he supposed to do? His job (along with, in this instance, Scott and Cowsill) is to keep a bunch of 70 year old men with varying degrees of decayed voices  together in an extremely high pressure scenario. Of course, the shitty mixing here doesn't help whatsoever, and the absence of Mike and Bruce is inexcusable. But it's all about Brian I suppose.

But absolutely no-one here is ragging on Scott B or Cowsill. Wonder why.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2012, 04:33:46 AM »

In the beginning it sounds like Al.. than it sounds like Foskett.. weird. Dunno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2012, 04:39:06 AM »

Yeah, I could pick out Al and Jeff most prominently. Jeff kinda takes over as it gets going/Al probably moves to a harmony part.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19:45 AM »

If Brian bottles a line or freaks out, which, you know, is entirely possible considering he is singing acapella in a baseball stadium with 400 things going on around him, you'll hear Jeff. It's well known Jeff covers Brian on more difficult songs, and this certainly qualifies.

So you know whose fault it is that you hear Jeff so much in this? It's Brian's.

He's not dominating. He's just singing his part like he's told to do, and because his voice is in better shape than any Beach Boy besides maybe Al he is heard more. What's he supposed to do? His job (along with, in this instance, Scott and Cowsill) is to keep a bunch of 70 year old men with varying degrees of decayed voices  together in an extremely high pressure scenario. Of course, the sh*tty mixing here doesn't help whatsoever, and the absence of Mike and Bruce is inexcusable. But it's all about Brian I suppose.

But absolutely no-one here is ragging on Scott B or Cowsill. Wonder why.....

Exactly! Cowsill has a very powerful voice. I think he's singing unison with Jeff most of the time during SSB.

But enough with the Foskett bashing for me. You can hear layers of beauty underneath the lead and we'll get loads of it in the tour and, specially, the album.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:40 AM »

Foskett/Kirsch/Bennett - 100%

Brian/Al - 50%

Mike/Bruce - Are they singing?

have to say I wouldnt be able to recognise David Marks voice but he looks like he is belting out the anthem

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2012, 05:28:10 AM »

Brian/Al - 50%

have to say I wouldnt be able to recognise David Marks voice but he looks like he is belting out the anthem
I would agree. Tough to single out Bruce and Mike during SSB. You can hear Dave here and there. As well as Brian. Al's the most prominent actual Beach Boy. It's mainly Foskett/Kirsch/Bennett. But the reasons for this are clear, and have nothing to do with the eventual reunion concerts.

The 5 Boys are in pretty good vocal shape these days - it's gonna show on the album and especially when they hit the stage. No worries.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2012, 05:32:11 AM »

Brian/Al - 50%

There's no reason not to have Mike audible, his bass vocals would have sounded amazing rolling round that stadium just like they did at the Grammy's. I'm sure it's mainly Cowsill underneath Jeff's vocal when they break away from the unison singing in TSSB.

David hasn't got a really strong voice but it's quite distinctive when you hear him sing lead. He'd do well on a song like Love Surrounds Me...take the hint guys and play it on the tour!  Wink
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:13 AM »

i think foskett would be better if he just calmed down his delivery a bit.  he doesn't sing it sweetly/softly enough
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »

i think foskett would be better if he just calmed down his delivery a bit.  he doesn't sing it sweetly/softly enough
You know what Murry would have to say to him...  Grin
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2012, 05:38:47 AM »

Foskett/Cowsill/Bennett - 100%

Brian/Al - 50%

Nfm.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:41 AM »

Thanks for the videos !!

I haven't gone through all the pages, but here are my thoughts.

First, Jeffrey is mixed way too loud and maybe the only one who is real close to the mic. You can see Brian far away from his own at some points. What you can hear of the boys sounds good though. I think I can hear Bruce on Surfer girl and Brian is audible behind Foskett on the anthem. But whoever sticks out, there's that warm and lush bed of harmonies in the background that's so special about the Beach Boys. They seem to be in good shape vocally and after working so much on the album that was to be expected. I said it in another thread, I'm glad that they more or less go from the studio straight on stage because that way their voices are in form. I just hope that the mixes at the concerts are less heavy on Jeffrey. His voice is very important - no question about that. But at this performance it overshadowes the others and doesn't seem part of the bed of harmony. Bring it on guys !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2012, 06:32:42 AM »

I don't remember seeing Kirsch there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:47:12 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:07 AM »

I don't rememner seeing Kirsch there.
Kirsch, Cowsill, whatever....  Razz No, you're right. Didn't even notice the mistake.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:45 AM »

That's because he wasn't there.

Here's an article about yesterday. Is that Carl's son on the last picture?

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_20368076/beach-boys-and-dodgers-at-50-good-vibrations

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 11, 2012, 06:38:50 AM »

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_20368076/beach-boys-and-dodgers-at-50-good-vibrations

Yeah Justyn was there with his mum apparently.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2012, 06:49:20 AM »

Thanks for the videos !!

I haven't gone through all the pages, but here are my thoughts.

First, Jeffrey is mixed way too loud and maybe the only one who is real close to the mic. You can see Brian far away from his own at some points. What you can hear of the boys sounds good though. I think I can hear Bruce on Surfer girl and Brian is audible behind Foskett on the anthem. But whoever sticks out, there's that warm and lush bed of harmonies in the background that's so special about the Beach Boys. They seem to be in good shape vocally and after working so much on the album that was to be expected. I said it in another thread, I'm glad that they more or less go from the studio straight on stage because that way their voices are in form. I just hope that the mixes at the concerts are less heavy on Jeffrey. His voice is very important - no question about that. But at this performance it overshadowes the others and doesn't seem part of the bed of harmony. Bring it on guys !

Rocker - They seemed to be arranged in a formation in front of home plate; I'm a girl, so please indulge me, but it seems that one half of the guys were on one side of a sort of wind tunnel, where, their voices may have been "blown away" before they even hit the mic. They were all singing. You can tell by their physicality.  The shirts were really cool.  Glad they did that event.  Great kick-off with great back stories.  Lots of kids have worked as ushers just to get to see the ballgames. 
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:46 AM »

Jeff doesn't just dominate the mix, he dominates everything. I've witnessed this first hand, the way he talks to Brian like he's not just a child, but a stupid child. I was shocked. From that point on I've been predisposed not to like the guy. To me he came across as a nasty, arrogant bully. This is in a situation when they thought no fans were present!

There are two sides in the BW camp. The people who treat Brian like a human being, and those who are milking the cash cow. This is not a statement from me, this comes from inside the band. And the inference was that Jeff is on the latter side.

Who knows what goes on, and changes daily in such a complex situation. People have bad days. But what I witnessed was pretty damning.

This is exactly what I mean about Jeff being arrogant!  On multiple occasions, I've seen him go out of his way to be a jerk to several die hard fans.  I've also seen him be down right mean to Brian.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2012, 06:58:46 AM »

It actually looks like Carl came along for the occasion
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 11, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »

It actually looks like Carl came along for the occasion

They should have asked him up to sing with them, that'd be cool!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx