gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:48:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who is the 'real' Al Jardine?  (Read 24210 times)
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 08:07:25 PM »

Face it: Bruce won the lottery.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 09:32:30 AM »

What a great picture of Al that is. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 09:51:07 AM »

Face it: Bruce won the lottery.

What do you mean by that?

Watch out for snakes!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 12:26:38 PM »

At the time just prior to Carl's illness in 96/97...Al and Carl had become somewhat "enstranged" due to issues regarding Mike and BB's concert productions. It seems Al was none too happy with Carl's tendency to allow Mike free reign at that point in time...this led to Al's eventual freezing out...or departure from the BB's...call it what you want. These events are examined in the upcoming Dave Marks book.
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 12:32:14 PM »

Jon, when is David's book up for purchase Smiley?  I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »

I'm just saying Bruce is a really, really nice guy, 'maybe' partially due to his realization of how lucky he was to have been a member of the Beach Boys.  Something about the fickleness of fame has the potential to either enhance positively or mess up someone's view of their place in the world.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 01:30:08 PM »

Jon, when is David's book up for purchase Smiley?  I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

hi Carly...the DM book is being edited and is still a ways off from being ready. Its going to be filled with really great stories and some truly amazing photos of the early BB's days. We're looking at a late spring/early summer release. You can always reserve a copy by sending your contact info to...CSMproductions@aol.com

And thanks for asking!
JS
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 01:48:33 PM »

Thanks for the info Jon!  I will send my info and be standing by....
Thanks
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 01:57:19 PM »

That email address should read...
CSMproductions@aol.com
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2006, 02:43:31 PM »

Jon, in the early nineties Dave sold a bunch of his memorabilia, including (I believe) a lot of photographs taken on the early tours, to a private collector who ran (and I assume still runs) a record shop in Sherman Oaks.  Did  you have access to any of that material?

Also, while working with Dave, did you have any concerns about being assualted with urine-filled squirt guns or other urine-related weapons?  There is a history there.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2006, 03:15:55 PM »

Jon, in the early nineties Dave sold a bunch of his memorabilia, including (I believe) a lot of photographs taken on the early tours, to a private collector who ran (and I assume still runs) a record shop in Sherman Oaks.  Did  you have access to any of that material?

Also, while working with Dave, did you have any concerns about being assualted with urine-filled squirt guns or other urine-related weapons?  There is a history there.

Haven't you heard of Urine Therapy?  :D

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/urine.htm
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »

The guy with the photos you speak of is Kip Brown...I knew him awhile back...i don't think he has the store anymore. No...Kip isn't involved in this book...and we already have more photos than we'll ever be able to squeeze in the book. Dave's mom, and several other friends and Hawthorne neighbors have shared things with us...truly cool things no one has ever seen. We have a good number of live photos from the '62 -'63 period. People are gonna dig it.

As far as urine filled squirt guns...no...but man i've been laughing my butt off at all the stories Dave has been telling me for the last two years. The Dennis stories alone are incredible...and there's a few really good ones about Mike, Carl and Brian too. In general Dave is a VERY funny person...even though he's been sober for more than 6 years...its kind of like a party being around him. There were times I thought my gut was gonna bust from laughter...I hope that translates well in the book. BTW...there are some truly horrific bits as well...a lot of Dave's closest friends died along the way. I think the book displays a huge range of emotion...even more than my book on Dennis.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2006, 04:57:08 PM »

He also had one of the Pendleton shirts- the most amazing Beach Boys artifact I've ever seen.

Dave certainly comes across as a funny guy...glad to hear he's keeping that urine clean for pure squirt-gun fun these days!  I wish Dennis had done the same.

Can't wait for your book.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:58:39 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2006, 06:16:25 AM »

The photos Kip bought were from a batch taken by other people...namely Capitol and their hired photog...but David still has his personal candid photos - we found a bunch in his storgae unit last year that hadn't seen the light of day in 40 years.   Also, there were multiple copies of all those photos David sold, so Kip doesn't have anything, photowise, that Jon didn't have access to.  There was only one photo David could not find, which was a very cool shot of Jan, Dean, David, Mike and Brian taken backstage and Jon was able to get a copy from Fred Vail - who also had a copy from the photog who took the shot. 

Kip doesn't quite understand the difference between buying a hard copy of a memorabilia photo and actually owning the copyright and rights to reproduce it - same goes for those home videos. There are a lot of people he's led to believe he's got something amazing but I could print you out a copy of pretty much anything Kip has and there'd be no difference. He's gone as far as to actually sell TV programs the rights to reproduce photos that are property of Capitol Records.  The Pendelton on the other hand, that's his fair and square.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2006, 08:08:38 AM »

In terms of a really good interview with Carl, i'd be very interested to know what Boyd has left in the "unused" cans from the "Making of Stars and Stripes" documentary.  I'll bet there's some great stuff in there...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »

Great to have you here, Mrs. Marks!

In honor of your presence I will leave off with the jokes about Dave's comportment at ages 14 and 15.  I assume you've had more luck reigning him in than Murry Wilson did.

While we wait for the book, does Dave have any personal favorite recorded moments?  Also, is there any particular place on record we can really hear his voice in the mix?  Also, when can we expect to see a Markmen release on CD?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2006, 04:08:20 PM »

Surfer Joe - no need to curb the jokes...I know as well as anyone that David doesn't take himself all that seriously...or least not back then, anyway. Just don't compare him to Pete Best or diss his guitar chops...everything else is fair game as far as I’m concerned. And yes, David has responded better to my pleas than he did to Murry's...I think it's because I shave my legs.   Murry always refused to go that far.

Let's see...favorite recording memories:  He says Our Car Club was his favorite session.  He doesn't really like the words, but it's his all time favorite track.  He says it was an amazing experience to be able to get into that groove with Hal Blaine on drums....especially after the way Brian always raved about Hal's playing - that made it even more special for him to actually get to play with Hal on something more substantial than just an over-dub (Hawaii). 

As for his voice in the mix - Summertime Blues would be the most obvious.  That's him doubling Carl on the high lead.  There are a few instances where he and Dennis are doubling a background part, but in order to identify those parts, it requires a more sophisticated ear than I have.  Jon would be better at answering that question.  But for the most part, his singing was limited to live performances...there were no songs in a live show where everyone else was singing except him - with the possible exception of Surfer Girl where Dennis would take his place up front to sing and David would play drums. 

As for the Marksmen release, interesting you should ask that question.  I've been in touch with Sundazed about it since they put out 3 Marksmen tracks a few years ago and they haven't said NO but haven't gotten back to me with a YES, either.  If I don't get a commitment from them soon, then I’ll go ahead and just put the collection out on David's own label. The Marksmen recorded 14 solid tracks so there is enough for full CDs worth of music and I think it would be a shame to not have it available considering the praise it's given in Jon's book.  I think people will be a little surprised about who came forward as an admitted Marksmen fan.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »

Surfer Joe - no need to curb the jokes...I know as well as anyone that David doesn't take himself all that seriously...or least not back then, anyway. Just don't compare him to Pete Best or diss his guitar chops...everything else is fair game as far as I’m concerned. And yes, David has responded better to my pleas than he did to Murry's...I think it's because I shave my legs.   Murry always refused to go that far.

LOL You're going to fit in great on this board!

Let's see...favorite recording memories:  He says Our Car Club was his favorite session.  He doesn't really like the words, but it's his all time favorite track.  He says it was an amazing experience to be able to get into that groove with Hal Blaine on drums....especially after the way Brian always raved about Hal's playing - that made it even more special for him to actually get to play with Hal on something more substantial than just an over-dub (Hawaii). 

That's one of the all-time great backing tracks.  I used to know some of the Surfaris and I tried to get them to cover it as an instrumental.  Which guitar is Dave playing?

As for his voice in the mix - Summertime Blues would be the most obvious.  That's him doubling Carl on the high lead.  There are a few instances where he and Dennis are doubling a background part, but in order to identify those parts, it requires a more sophisticated ear than I have.  Jon would be better at answering that question.  But for the most part, his singing was limited to live performances...there were no songs in a live show where everyone else was singing except him - with the possible exception of Surfer Girl where Dennis would take his place up front to sing and David would play drums. 

I don't think I ever knew he drummed on "Surfer Girl".  I wish a good complete show with Dave would turn up on film.  Any hope of that?

As for the Marksmen release, interesting you should ask that question.  I've been in touch with Sundazed about it since they put out 3 Marksmen tracks a few years ago and they haven't said NO but haven't gotten back to me with a YES, either.  If I don't get a commitment from them soon, then I’ll go ahead and just put the collection out on David's own label. The Marksmen recorded 14 solid tracks so there is enough for full CDs worth of music and I think it would be a shame to not have it available considering the praise it's given in Jon's book.  I think people will be a little surprised about who came forward as an admitted Marksmen fan.

The few things I've heard sound really great.  It's not your usual surf stuff- it has an unusually inventive overall sound and (of course) great guitar work.  I can't wait to finally hear all of it.  I wonder if Dave had stuck around if he might have brought a harder guitar-edged sound, especially on albums like Smiley Smile and Wild Honey.

I really hope you'll stick around here and field some questions- there will be some good ones, especially when our moderator aeijtsche (just spelled that from memory!) turns back up.  I know we have to wait for the book on some stuff, but any special memories from Dave's post-BB session work?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2006, 05:10:52 PM »

I'll continue this up on the thread you started above. 

Getting this one back on topic regarding Al Jardine...David and Al played together a few weeks ago as well as back in December.  They are great duo...and probably the most authentic sounding of the configurations out there.  To hear Jardine's amazing vocals and David's guitar brings the best of both worlds together, IMO.  I've never tried adding a photo...hope this works.

BTW, Al, David and Dean Torrence will be doing a show together in October aboard a Carnival cruise out of Long Beach...it should be a great trip if anyone can make it. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2006, 08:16:39 PM »

LOL! Carrie, that was too funny!  Welcome to the board!
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2006, 10:00:11 AM »

I think perhaps when I got into the BB I wasn't that big a fan of the man. But recently my thoughts have been changing - however theres no need for that spoken intro at the beginning of Santa Ana Winds.

I agree with this whole post.  Your line about the intro to "Santa Ana Winds" is hilarious -- as is the intro itself.  I really love the song, but what was Al (and every one else) thinking?  "Here in Southern California, there is a weather condition known as the Santa Ana Winds."  Makes me laugh just thinking about it!  In a way, it's so dorky it's actually cool.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2006, 10:30:26 AM »

Getting this one back on topic regarding Al Jardine...David and Al played together a few weeks ago as well as back in December.  They are great duo...and probably the most authentic sounding of the configurations out there.  To hear Jardine's amazing vocals and David's guitar brings the best of both worlds together, IMO.  I've never tried adding a photo...hope this works.

BTW, Al, David and Dean Torrence will be doing a show together in October aboard a Carnival cruise out of Long Beach...it should be a great trip if anyone can make it. 

Carrie...thank you soooooommmmmuuuuccchhhh for posting this photo . It is historic!!!!!! It's like a pic of Gram Parsons and David Crosby or Ringo and Pete Best together...but this is the real deal!!! thank you...I really love it ...it has true love vibes all over it....

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2006, 11:01:08 AM »

Carrie...thank you soooooommmmmuuuuccchhhh for posting this photo . It is historic!!!!!! It's like a pic of Gram Parsons and David Crosby or Ringo and Pete Best together...but this is the real deal!!! thank you...I really love it ...it has true love vibes all over it....

Yes! Could it be a step to the next incarnation? Let's see, we have Mike & Bruce, and Al & Dave. Now if we can just get Mike to talk to Dave, and Bruce to talk to Al...
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »

Now if we can just get Mike to talk to Dave

Actually, David and Mike reconnected last fall after not talking for a good 5 or 6 years, which was actually kinda nice.  When the M & B holiday show was in our area last December, David sat in with them at a couple of shows.  In fact, he played with Mike and Bruce and then played a show with Al Jardine just 3 days later. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2006, 12:03:43 PM »

Now if we can just get Mike to talk to Dave

Actually, David and Mike reconnected last fall after not talking for a good 5 or 6 years, which was actually kinda nice.  When the M & B holiday show was in our area last December, David sat in with them at a couple of shows.  In fact, he played with Mike and Bruce and then played a show with Al Jardine just 3 days later. 

Yes again! OK, we've established that Mike, Bruce, and David can play together. And Al and David can play together. So, if my algebra is correct, then I need Mike and Bruce to talk with Al, and David to talk with Brian! There, everything's settled. I'll make the reservations. When do they start?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx