gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:25:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060967 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »

Why do people think Capitol would choose the tracklist ? Only because Bruce said that they are not looking for hit singles like in the 60s and therefor just listen to the stuff and say "Sounds good" ? The decision is up to Brian (and maybe the executive producers ). Of course they could say they won't release the album but they won't decide upon tracklisting, etc. In the end the Beach Boys have more or less carte blanche and that's what Bruce tried to express.

Well this is what Bruce has told us, there's a 7 minute suite by brian to end the album, the label is picking the tracks, the album isn't called TWGMTR because it's too long. ._.

I'd love to see that quote, because I can't remember it.

well i'll do my best, these were different articles i think.
http://www.billboard.com/#/news/beach-boys-album-it-s-all-brand-new-1006844362.story
that's the one where he says the label picks the songs.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2012-04-23/beach-boys-album/54494556/1
this is where he says "i'm just going to guess, seven minutes long"

so i suppose those songs could still be it.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 02, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »

I think Capitol may have insisted that the album consist entirely of songs co-written by Brian (and perhaps one -- Daybreak -- solely written by Mike). That would explain the absence of any of Al's things.

That would be pretty lame if true. I would take "Waves of Love" over "Spring Vacation" in a heartbeat based on the twenty or so seconds I've heard of the latter.

Yeah, but you're not Capitol. For the record-buying public, an album of BW songs, produced by BW, whatever the quality, is worth more than any number of Al tunes. The cult of genius does strange things.

I think Capitol may have insisted that the album consist entirely of songs co-written by Brian (and perhaps one -- Daybreak -- solely written by Mike). That would explain the absence of any of Al's things.
So if they have 12 songs with what they wanted, why would there have been a problem of adding a 13th track to give Al a song on the album? (And for that matter, a 14th track, for Dave?)

As I said, a BW-composed album is simply worth more than one written by the other members of the group. On tour, BW's participation doesn't mean much as long as he can make his way through a handful of songs. On record, it's the difference between major label and pressing up some copies through Amazon (Al, anyone?). The label may also want to placate BW and Melinda to keep them in the fold. Who knows?
SBonilla
« Reply #1702 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »

I don't think so. Capitol does not have that kind of power; I believe Brother would have retained creative control in this case. As for Al's tunes, who says they won't be used as bonus/exclusive tracks, or even as new material to round out another collection? Also, there might be a follow up album; that's where Capitol may have the option or say so.  Those extra tunes would give them a little head start on that.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1703 on: May 02, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »

Why do people think Capitol would choose the tracklist ? Only because Bruce said that they are not looking for hit singles like in the 60s and therefor just listen to the stuff and say "Sounds good" ? The decision is up to Brian (and maybe the executive producers ). Of course they could say they won't release the album but they won't decide upon tracklisting, etc. In the end the Beach Boys have more or less carte blanche and that's what Bruce tried to express.

Well this is what Bruce has told us, there's a 7 minute suite by brian to end the album, the label is picking the tracks, the album isn't called TWGMTR because it's too long. ._.

I'd love to see that quote, because I can't remember it.

well i'll do my best, these were different articles i think.
http://www.billboard.com/#/news/beach-boys-album-it-s-all-brand-new-1006844362.story
that's the one where he says the label picks the songs.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2012-04-23/beach-boys-album/54494556/1
this is where he says "i'm just going to guess, seven minutes long"

so i suppose those songs could still be it.  

Thanks for the links. You're right, he says that the label picks the songs, although he's just talking about his at that point, to be exact, so it very well could mean that the contract only says that tehre have to be so and so many BW tunes. I stand at my statement that the Beach Boys - and to be precise Brian - have carte blanche in tracklisting, etc. That is stuff the producer decides. Capitol may have options but those are probably quite small.

Anyhow, my point of view and of course in the end it doesn't matter

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »

I don't think so. Capitol does not have that kind of power; I believe Brother would have retained creative control in this case. As for Al's tunes, who says they won't be used as bonus/exclusive tracks, or even as new material to round out another collection? Also, there might be a follow up album; that's where Capitol may have the option or say so.  Those extra tunes would give them a little head start on that.

Contractually, they may indeed have that kind of power. We just don't know for sure.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 02, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »

Thanks for the links. You're right, he says that the label picks the songs, although he's just talking about his at that point, to be exact, so it very well could mean that the contract only says that tehre have to be so and so many BW tunes.

Well, if we're being exact, then he exactly says, "The label picks the songs."
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: May 02, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »

Contractually, they may indeed have that kind of power. We just don't know for sure.

Yeah, wasn't Brian under that kind of contractually obligation before? My only source in this is the A&E Biography.
SBonilla
« Reply #1707 on: May 02, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »

You're right, we don't.
SBonilla
« Reply #1708 on: May 02, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »

Thanks for the links. You're right, he says that the label picks the songs, although he's just talking about his at that point, to be exact, so it very well could mean that the contract only says that tehre have to be so and so many BW tunes.

Which label? The one that delivers the album or the one that distributes it?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1709 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »

Like "the label picks the songs that are not written by Brian" ? This could go on and on and we probably would never come to a conclusion. My point: Capitol got the Beach Boys to make an album produced by Brian Wilson. So they won't ask his decisions. That's maybe why Joe Thomas was brought in, because he makes clear that Brian won't deliver GIOMH part 2 and Capitol had to go with it. And I don't know how much Brother Records (of which Bruce isn't a member) has to do with it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: May 02, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »

Like "the label picks the songs that are not written by Brian" ? This could go on and on and we probably would never come to a conclusion.

The only reason we can't reach a conclusion is because you keep adding things to the quote that Bruce never said.

GUY: Whoa, whoa, whoa, Moses. Like, "thou shalt not kill...someone you really love?" I mean, we can't be sure so I'm just going to keep killing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »

It would still surprise me for Capitol to select the songs though.  Leaving off the suite (i imagine it's those last three) would seem like a baaad idea. unless the music was horrible.  WHICH IS DOUBTFUL.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 02, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »

Piece on the new album on the BigO website (italics are mine):

DON'T BLAME GOD
The Beach Boys' "That's Why God Made The Radio" 50th anniversary reunion album (Capitol) celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the band with a new album and reunion tour. The band's surviving original members wrote and recorded the album very quickly and it is being produced by Brian Wilson and executive produced by Mike Love. Release date is June 5. The songs are:

01. Think About The Days
02. That's Why God Made The Radio
03. Isn't It Time
04. Spring Vacation
05. The Private Life Of Bill And Sue
06. Shelter
07. Daybreak Over The Ocean
08. Beaches In Mind
09. Strange World
10. From There To Back Again
11. Pacific Coast Highway
12. Summer's Gone

The original Beach Boys are Mike Love, 71; Brian Wilson, Bruce Johnston (both turn 70 in June) and Al Jardine are all 69.
[/b]

Someone ought to point out the errors in that last line, Phil.  Thought I'd mention it before Jon did…!   Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 02, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »

“It’s very relaxed to me,” Johnston hints. “What I like about it is the label wasn’t running in the door every five minutes [looking for hits]. They just come over once in awhile and heard all the voices. Brian’s got this cute little pocket suite in it. And nobody’s worried about ‘Strings aren’t cool = it’s 2012.’ Paul Martin did these great string arrangements. It’s relaxed and there’s interesting things going on. Nobody’s trying to put on whatever they were all about from the mid ’60s. Nobody’s trying to win an Olympic gold medal. Al sang a duet with me, and it was a pleasure. It’s not like an album where you’re gonna go, ‘This is gonna be pretty big!’ You’re gonna go, ‘Hey, this is pretty nice. These guys, after all these years, can and want to sing together.’”

Brian Wilson, who guards his words in a separate interview, opens up here. “It’s very mellow-sounding. A lot of harmonies. Most of it’s just harmony. I wrote a song called ‘Shelter,’ which is all about how your house is shelter from the sunlight and shelter from the dark night. It’s a great tune, it really is.”

That’s Why God Made The Radio’s title track has been issued as the first single, and its unabashedly retro feel is charismatic. The band’s rich harmonies cascade over a bass pattern that’s surprisingly high in the mix, with everything swaying in 12/8 time. Despite the arrangement’s density, it never feels cluttered and — like most Beach Boys single edits — ends too soon.

He continues, “Most of the stuff I wrote in 1998 with my collaborator Joe Thomas. [Until now], the guys had never heard it before. They love it. They think it’s great stuff. The guys haven’t changed very much in 50 years, you know? They still sound just as good or even better than 50 years ago!”

http://illinoisentertainer.com/2012/05/cover-story-the-beach-boys/
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 02, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »

I'm really interested to hear Brian's contributions to this record.

Really, everything said in this interview is cause to be really optimistic about this album. But then I remember those twenty seconds of "Spring Vacation"...

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 02, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »

Yeah, some nice stuff. Though I will say my heart sort of dropped when I read that Bruce it wouldn't be very "big".  Whatever that means. I don't know. I tend to think that this IS big, I guess.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 02, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »

Yeah, some nice stuff. Though I will say my heart sort of dropped when I read that Bruce it wouldn't be very "big".  Whatever that means. I don't know. I tend to think that this IS big, I guess.

I think what Bruce meant is that there was no pressure to load the record with a bunch of "Kokomo"-style hit singles this time.

PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 02, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »

He continues, “Most of the stuff I wrote in 1998 with my collaborator Joe Thomas. [Until now], the guys had never heard it before. They love it. They think it’s great stuff. The guys haven’t changed very much in 50 years, you know? They still sound just as good or even better than 50 years ago!”

Very interesting. As I understand it, BW seems to be saying here that most of the material for this album was written in 1998 with Joe Thomas, presumably during or after the Imagination sessions. Would certainly explain why he went back to see JT last year and did some mysterious recording at that time.

Makes one wonder what else Brian's got stashed away that the fans and public have no knowledge of.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 02, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »

Very interesting. As I understand it, BW seems to be saying here that most of the material for this album was written in 1998 with Joe Thomas, presumably during or after the Imagination sessions. Would certainly explain why he went back to see JT last year and did some mysterious recording at that time.

Makes one wonder what else Brian's got stashed away that the fans and public have no knowledge of.

Indeed. Joe said at the time they had enough material for a follow up album -- but I had always dismissed this. Why? Well, Joe had given titles for some other songs they recorded -- "Melinda, Honey," "Proud Mary," "It's Happening Again" (a remake of You're Still a Mystery) and another Paley remake or two. When Brian only recorded "How Could We Still Be Dancin'" for GIOMH, it struck me that the rest of the material must have either been retreads, or just no good.

Instead, it seems like some of the opposition was probably political. Of course, there have been hints elsewhere on the board that some of Brian and Scott's TLOS unreleased work was being considered for the album too, so I wouldn't be surprised if the material draws on a number of different eras.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 02, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »

so do we know of any other songs written in 98?  all the slightly american music tracks are paley sessions right?  So it's not those?  that said, i'd love it if "in my moondreams" was part of the suite  Grin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 02, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »

My opinion; Discus:

I think the boys are going out of their way, at every turn, to downplay every single thing they do, and the reason I think they're doing it is because Brian is anxious about the weight of all this.

So, the tour is no big deal, it's just a celebration.  Brian doesn't have to sing much.  The album won't be big.  Etc.  Etc.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 02, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »

My opinion Javelin;

I think your right Ron! Grin

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 02, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »

so do we know of any other songs written in 98?  all the slightly american music tracks are paley sessions right?  So it's not those?  that said, i'd love it if "in my moondreams" was part of the suite  Grin

Those all pre-date "Imagination" by several years. Songs from the Paley sessions (which include SAM and a lot of other things) were written roughly from 92 to 95,  and a lot of recording on them was done in 94. Yes, some of the songs predated that time, as is the case often with Brian. Some were mainly by Andy (like IMM).

Brian and Joe started working together in late 1995 on the Stars and Stripes project, and then they started writing together in 96 or 97. They collaborated through 1999 or so.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:02:31 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »

My opinion Javelin;

I think your right Ron! Grin

You misspelled Javelinn.  DUH
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »

I wonder which song Brian co-wrote with Mark Lindsay...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx