gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 02:29:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Grammy Discussion Thread  (Read 91516 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »

Guys. Ringo was at the soundcheck.

Roll Eyes Again I fail to see the point.

This is very much a prickly issue for me and while in the end it's only rock and roll for me being a fan of The Beatles I would wish these onstage reunions between Macca and Ringo would end.  They are not The Beatles nor do their reunions in any way represent a reunion of The Beatles.  I'll give them credit for not even attempting to market it that way but I wish they would put an end to it all together.  It was different when George was still alive and Ringo and George would play together (as they did at Royal Albert Hall in 1992) or whatnot because of the fact three surviving Beatles at the time never reunited onstage without John Lennon.  To me having Paul and Ringo out there singing Beatles songs without John and George really plays the whole Beatles legacy kind of cheap.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »

Outside of country music those names are pretty much unknown.

P much my gist. I am not down with the modern country.

When Brian gets more comfortable, this Beach Boys reunion is going to be off the chain. I know it.  Grin Night all.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »

From the yahoo article:

After a standing ovation, the Beach Boys themselves, all now in their 60s, then took to the stage to play "Good Vibrations," with famously glum-looking Brian Wilson almost smiling as he hit the high notes with his old bandmates.

http://news.yahoo.com/beach-boys-good-vibrations-grammys-034043025.html
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »

Tonight proved the Beach Boys have an awesome online presence  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »

What did everyone think of Macca's new Valentine song? Nearly put me to sleep!
I think it's a pretty little song; guess I'm just a sloppy romantic.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »

Didn't think the Maroon 5 vocalist was right for Surfer Girl.  Foster sang a respectful WIBN but he looked really nervous.  BBs... I couldn't be sure WHERE the vocals were coming from, because I sure didn't hear Brian when he singing on camera.  Have to admit it is hard for me to watch Mike Love, but I did think it was a respectable performance.  But my wife said "this isn't good PR for the tour" and described their appearance as "grim."  And she is a semi-fan.  Ouch.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »

Did I see the same show everyone else did?  Levine couldn't' hit any of the falsetto notes - other than that Surfer Girl was ok at best.  Foster's WIBN was weird, attempting to replicate the original arrangement rather than do their own version.  It wasn't't bad but it wasn't the beach boys.  Then GV was mediocre, to ne nice about it.  Al the unseen backing vocalists carried the song.  I hope they can get it more together for the jazzfest performance.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »

I was disappointed that the Decemberists lost to the Foos.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 12, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »

Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, Foo Fighters and Deadmau5? Wow, talk about different walks of life.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »

I'm going to sleep after Glen. Gentle On My Mind done by some nobodies, which is nice. If by nobodies. I

wonder if Glen Campbell nerds think that was terrible like some of us are thinking Maroon 5 or FTP were terrible. Perfectly servicable.

Glen Campbell is broing out here. He's LOVING IT.

They're not nobodys in the country music scene, they're the equivalent of the successful newcomers (Foster The People - The Band Perry) and established commercially successful acts (Maroon 5 - Blake Shelton). Outside of country music those names are pretty much unknown.

Glen's segment was cool. Smiley

Rhinestone Cowboy, Glen? Really? That's how you want to go out? Not with By the Time I Get To Phoenix or Wichita Lineman? Sure, Rhinestone Cowboy was a big hit, but I totally did not get that.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »

I doubt it was his choice.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »

Okay, I lied.

I watched it again, and it's a solid effort. Yes, Brian was mixed totally out of the first line of the verse. But he's audible, and sounds fine, in the rest of it. He looks as comfortable as he ever does at these sorts of things, which is not very. But he smiled several times and was keeping up with the rest of the group.

Ultimately, this is a performance by BW's backing band. And they did a nice job. Mike was, as ever, the ringmaster.

The real test -- and opportunity -- will come with the full-length live shows and the new album.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »

Okay, I lied.

I watched it again, and it's a solid effort. Yes, Brian was mixed totally out of the first line of the verse. But he's audible, and sounds fine, in the rest of it. He looks as comfortable as he ever does at these sorts of things, which is not very. But he smiled several times and was keeping up with the rest of the group.

Ultimately, this is a performance by BW's backing band. And they did a nice job. Mike was, as ever, the ringmaster.

The real test -- and opportunity -- will come with the full-length live shows and the new album.

My thoughts exactly..

After watching it again a few times I think it was really solid

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »

It's time for Lady Gag- I mean Nicki Minaj.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »

At least Gaga is talented - I don't mind utterly bizarre if there's talent behind it, but that isn't the case right now.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »

At least Gaga is talented - I don't mind utterly bizarre if there's talent behind it, but that isn't the case right now.

Fair enough, I mean what the hell is this?! This is terrible!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »

So The Beach Boys get to do a two minute Good Vibrations yet Paul Mccartney get's to do a cheesy love song and come back later with a totally random Beatles set..

I don't get it

I don't either. I never will understand why people seem to favor the Beatles over everything damn else.

OMG...Nikki Minaj is TERRIBLE, even by the standards of her style.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »

That was absolutely atrocious. I can not believe that was shown on live television.

Nicki should have stayed on the bottom bunk of the bus.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2012, 08:12:09 PM »

dıpןo @diplo
Hope they playing some good commercials cause I board as fuc watching them set up for Paul McCartney

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »

I'm kinda excited for Paul's set, this has been a total sh*t fest since TBB's took a bow

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »

I've been following in here all evening. Some of you people really killed the mood tonight. I enjoyed the performance. GV was performed the same way Brian has been performing it for years. Brian acted no different than at any solo shows over the past decade. To expect anything different, you were just fooling yourselves. I thought Glen did a great job tonight. I really enjoyed Joe Walsh's guitar work with Macca. It was the best part of the total performance.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »

Okay, I lied.

My thoughts exactly..

After watching it again a few times I think it was really solid

I mean, if you had watched the Brian group over the last couple of years, and the Mike and Bruce group, and you imagined them onstage at the Grammys, this is what you would get. It's not some crazy new arrangement, it's not some amazing new height -- it's these guys performing a song they all do live for the billionth time. I did HATE that they started with the chorus, though.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »

One thing I noticed after re-watching...Brian's PIANO is audible, as unless there was some creative mixing  going on, the main piano sound (not the keyboards) were coming from where Brian was at. Interesting...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »

That was absolutely atrocious. I can not believe that was shown on live television.

Nicki should have stayed on the bottom bunk of the bus.
Yes it was real bad.. real bad..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »

Too many commercials...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx