gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 05:46:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What will happen to BWPS's reputation after 1st November  (Read 14854 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:46:10 AM »

Come the beginning of November, we will have  a chance to hear the 66 and 2004 versions of SMiLE side by side and whilst accepting the incomplete nature of 66 SMiLE, I was wondering if peeps here have any views (admittedly we haven't heard TSS yet) about whether the new box set will improve or harm the reputation of the 2004 version.

Will SMiLEaholics like us view the two "albums" differently to critics and Joe Public (and people like Leila!!) - will we see 2004 as the final and better word on the legendary lost album, will we see it as two different pieces of work or will TSS blow BWPS out of the water?

Will the fly-ins do harm to TSS and the legacy of 66/67?

On the other hand will BWPS do harm to the originall recordings?

Answers on a surfboard please.

Cheers

Richard
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:59:33 AM »

A $6,000 surf board?   Grin

I can't see BWPS's rep being hurt at all. The two releases should complement each other; and I think Alan and Mark have striven to ensure that happens by following the BWPS template.

I'm hoping that TSS gets album-of-the-year type awards a-plenty, as (BWP)Smile(SESSiONS) would then surely be the only album in history to get such awards twice, almost five decades apart, for different recordings of mostly the same material, produced (at least nominally) by the same guy, featuring the same vocalist but performed by different acts.

Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff, almost…

“We live in divisive times.”
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:20:03 AM »

A $6,000 surf board?   Grin

I can't see BWPS's rep being hurt at all. The two releases should complement each other; and I think Alan and Mark have striven to ensure that happens by following the BWPS template.

I'm hoping that TSS gets album-of-the-year type awards a-plenty, as (BWP)Smile(SESSiONS) would then surely be the only album in history to get such awards twice, almost five decades apart, for different recordings of mostly the same material, produced (at least nominally) by the same guy, featuring the same vocalist but performed by different acts.

Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff, almost…

Nice one J

Cheers

Richard
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:32:23 AM »

Nice one J

Just read that back and I was clearly waffling bollocks. What I meant was more along the lines of:

I'm hoping that TSS gets album-of-the-year type awards a-plenty, as (BWP)Smile(SESSiONS) would then surely be the only album in history to get such an award twice, in two different decades, for mostly the same material recorded at sessions almost five decades apart for different projects, produced (at least nominally) by the same guy, featuring the same vocalist but performed by different acts and getting its (nominal) premiere release.

Surely someone can phrase it better than what I just did(n't)?   LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »

I think it will be an interesting dynamic mostly because more folks I've encountered outside the BB's fan world have been introduced to Smile through BWPS, and found joy and inspiration in the music through that album and the various live shows, which were amazing. Not that it matters either way because it's a question of the same music and same compositions, but I don't know how many people who bought BWPS originally knew a lot of the history behind Smile, apart from some of the mythology.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:51:04 AM »

I think this was touched on back at the end of March in this thread :
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10107.0.html
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »

If anything, I think that the success of BWPS helped push the release of the 60s Smile. I think the audio for BWPS will be forgotten, but the live shows were well worth it, perhaps even the video of the show is great to have along with the documentary.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »

It will certainly be less singular, less unique. The mystery that fed its appearance will be reduced or eliminated.

That being said, it will still be the only version of the material that's in a truly finished (albeit, finished in 2003) form. That is, more or less complete lyrics and backing vocals. I could see some people seeking it out if their first exposure to the material is through TSS. "How did he finish it up?" they might wonder.

But sure, I would think that it will recede in importance a bit. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, especially since Brian has followed it up with some good solo records and touring.

Bonus question: Do you think we'll see a reissued version of BWPS in the next couple of years? It would be interesting ...

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

I think BWPS will be fine, The SMiLE Sessions might actually get some people curious enough to buy it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 02:11:27 AM »

BWPS won't suffer at all. It's a typical Smile-related question that could only come up with us Brian Wilson patients.

Imagine: someone aged 20 bought BWPS because of Robert Christgau's review, or the Pitchfork stats. Hugely enjoy it.

And discover its roots 7 years later on a deluxe box set.

I can't think of a comparable journey in all of pop. Yes, there are so many 'early demos' sets, or 'originally planned thus but later changed for release'-albums out there - but this is a different kettle of fish.

Rather unique.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:02:06 AM »

If I wasn't a big fan I don't think Brian as a solo artist would mean much to me. I liked seeing BWPS live and the album is good, but why would anyone want to hear Brian sing it with his modern voice compared to him and The Beach Boys in their prime?
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:49:23 AM »

If I wasn't a big fan I don't think Brian as a solo artist would mean much to me. I liked seeing BWPS live and the album is good, but why would anyone want to hear Brian sing it with his modern voice compared to him and The Beach Boys in their prime?

Err - cos its complete and finished

Cheers

Richard
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »

i think they'll go hand in hand.  i didn't reaally like all of BWPS till i heard the originals.  but then there's still stuff in BWPS that i prefer over the originals cause it's finished.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »

i think they'll go hand in hand.  i didn't reaally like all of BWPS till i heard the originals.  but then there's still stuff in BWPS that i prefer over the originals cause it's finished.

it's an ideal situation for Smile lovers, there would be a real gap if the Smile sessions had been released years ago & Brian had never completed and recorded it. It's yet to be seen how satisfyingly the Sessions will fit together and play as an album. For lovers of Smile they'll need to have both.

Personally I love BWPS and even like hearing Brian's older voice singing, it injects pathos into the story of Smile, you see more of the struggle around the Smile album and Brian reconnecting with this pivotal album in his career.

The two albums need each other, which album is the child that is the father of the man?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »

I feel pretty much the same way about BWPS. Loved the live performances, certainly two of the most amazing concerts I've ever been to.

Personally I hope that Smiley Smile's reputation isn't going to suffer in the light of the Smile Sessions but it's probably even going to be rediscovered as a cult album, who knows...
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 11:30:22 AM »

It already is a cult album?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »

I'll put my BWPS album inside the SMILE box.

The complete package  Wink

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »

BWPS will certainly get dusted off and played about 10 billion more times than it already has been played or will ever have been played. And it will likely continue to be played for eternity, either side by side with the Smile Sessions or on it's own.

Brian's done damn well for himself!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 02:29:56 AM »

I'll put my BWPS album inside the SMILE box.

The complete package  Wink

Nice and  Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Cheers

Richard
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »

It already is a cult album?

Yeah if Smiley Smile gets rediscovered it'll stop being a cult album.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »

As I've mentioned before with the release of "The Smile Sessions" it should make a us aware of what a crucial part of the SMiLE puzzle BWPS is.  I mean let's be honest here: It will forever be the only complete rendering of the SMiLE music available.  There is obviously no way to cull a completed SMiLE album from the original tapes so Brian's presentation of the material is probably going to be our only insight as to what finished versions of these tracks could sound like.

I would think it would be worthwhile sometime after 11/1 for someone to post a poll on the forums and gauge what everyone considers to be "SMiLE" to them.  BWPS or the assembly of the original tapes as produced by Mark Linett and company.  I think I know which way the meter is going to go but it would be worth a poll nonetheless.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »

As I've mentioned before with the release of "The Smile Sessions" it should make a us aware of what a crucial part of the SMiLE puzzle BWPS is.  I mean let's be honest here: It will forever be the only complete rendering of the SMiLE music available.  There is obviously no way to cull a completed SMiLE album from the original tapes so Brian's presentation of the material is probably going to be our only insight as to what finished versions of these tracks could sound like.

I would think it would be worthwhile sometime after 11/1 for someone to post a poll on the forums and gauge what everyone considers to be "SMiLE" to them.  BWPS or the assembly of the original tapes as produced by Mark Linett and company.  I think I know which way the meter is going to go but it would be worth a poll nonetheless.
Pointless, poll!! This had been debated millions of times*

*slight over exaggeration.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »

Pointless, poll!! This had been debated millions of times*

*slight over exaggeration.

Yeah but not in this sense.  I mean you will now have two viable products in your hand that have been given the blessing of Brian Wilson as to be representations of the SMiLE music.  It would be interesting from my standpoint anyhow as to which one everyone prefers.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »

i think it'd need to be a few years after the event to get an accurate gauge. It was interesting to hear the recent Mark Linnet interview in that he made it pretty clear how big a role BWPS played in being able to put together a credible SMiLE from the existing tapes. Personally I'm a huge fan of BWPS and find that Brian's later vocals give the finished work an extra sense of depth of history and a taste of the suffering and triumph that is around SMiLE. I love listening to that album as Brian would say "it blows my mind".
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 04:32:16 AM »

I don't think anything will happen to its reputation per se, but personally I don't really see myself listening to it again.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx