gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:53:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86074 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »

SO I wonder when we're getting some new info....with all the interviews Brian's been doing this past week you'd think he'd have a few more details to promote

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 09:00:02 AM »

"A US Forest Service sign on the access trail refers to these mountains as "The Deadly Bells" and warns would-be climbers of "downsloping, loose, rotten and unstable" rock that "kills without warning". "

this smile sh*t just got serious son. maybe they found a recording of the earth element? he better shelve it and just put out a pebble.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »

The mag is supposed to be out on June 15, so how come the Ebay seller already has copies?
Also, "It’s in all good newsagents" - at what price?

This from the BW message board:

"Details about the special SMiLE edition of Mojo Magazine!!!

(posted by HarryApplemoos on June 10, 2011 at 6:13 am)

It’s a new kind of MOJO Special Edition, a deluxe package devoted to the decade that a sage once described as the greatest in the history of mankind. Centring on the still-astonishing story of the Beach Boys’ Smile, finally to be granted release in something close to its original intended form, MOJO ’60s includes an exclusive, super-collectible, 7" vinyl 45 of Smile’s once-mythic Cabinessence, on special, sunshine-coloured vinyl, and in-depth stories on the Rolling Stones’ Between The Buttons, acid and The Red Krayola. Plus unseen Hendrix, Dylan’s 1966, a Baron Wolman portfolio, Roy Harper on the first moon landing, and some group called The Beatles. It’s in all good newsagents from next Wednesday, June 15."

/B
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 10:42:46 AM »

I don't really care for the art on the 7" sleeve, but it is interesting that it's Cabin Essence not Cabinessence.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »

Mike is holding everything up, you heard it here first  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »

It arrived - nothing particularly of note except

Brian says he didn't burn tapes, he did a 7 minute version of H&V and that VDP came up with initial the idea of doing the elements

*koff*

Told ya soRoll Eyes

So, the only entirely new info is that VDP suggested The Elements. If true, kinda throws a humongous spanner in several people's theories.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »

Brian says he didn't burn tapes, he did a 7 minute version of H&V and that VDP came up with initial the idea of doing the elements

*koff*

Told ya soRoll Eyes

So, the only entirely new info is that VDP suggested The Elements. If true, kinda throws a humongous spanner in several people's theories.

If indeed that is true. Not saying it is or isn't, but how many times has Brian said something that we've all kinda went 'Uh, sure' to?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »

Is a 7 minute version of H&V news? That's been known of for years.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »

'xactly - since 1967, to be precise.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »

*koff*

Told ya soRoll Eyes

Oh Andrew...you must have a crystal ball or something  Roll Eyes

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »

*koff*

Told ya soRoll Eyes

Oh Andrew...you must have a crystal ball or something  Roll Eyes

Nope. I just apply simple logic. That and knowing who'd written it (and when) told me there'd be next to no new information.  Not seen it myself yet, but when I do I expect to be throwing it across the room at regular intervals.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »

*koff*

Told ya soRoll Eyes

But it could be part of the conspiracy!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 12:00:48 AM »

It's not news, but it might be interesting that Brian is remembering this fact, this late in the day. How many times has this extended Heroes been mentioned in interviews? I know Mike referred to it back in 67, but since then which of the Boys has spoken of it? I'm not well versed in the Smile interviews over the years but I just wonder if Brian's choosing to remember this now could have something to do with his memory having been jogged recently, by perhaps, er, something that's on the set?! (Yes wishful thinking, but it's all we've got at the moment!)

It would be interesting to see the quote about the 7 minute Heroes in context. Desmondo, if you get a chance could you post the quote please?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 01:23:11 AM »

It's not news, but it might be interesting that Brian is remembering this fact, this late in the day. How many times has this extended Heroes been mentioned in interviews? I know Mike referred to it back in 67, but since then which of the Boys has spoken of it? I'm not well versed in the Smile interviews over the years but I just wonder if Brian's choosing to remember this now could have something to do with his memory having been jogged recently, by perhaps, er, something that's on the set?! (Yes wishful thinking, but it's all we've got at the moment!)

It would be interesting to see the quote about the 7 minute Heroes in context. Desmondo, if you get a chance could you post the quote please?!

I'll keep on saying this until it takes root - that article was written at least two months ago, at which time he wouldn't have heard anything from the box. Not seen the article yet, but it's entirely possible that the original interview went:

Int: Brian is it true you did a seven minute version of "H&V" ?

BDW: Yeah.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »

The H&V quote is from another piece about BB post Smile in the same MOJO which includes quotes from BW. AJ and ML and VDP and goes like this

"It was supposed to outdo (GV) and be the new masterpiece," said Brian. "I did it extended for 7 minutes. The 3:36 version bore only a distant relation to the wild, rambling, rollercoaster rendition I'd once described as a muscial comedy, but I continued to believe the song was special."

That feels like a up to date interview

Also I will put money on us getting H&V without the LEAD vocal on the upcoming release

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »

I'll keep on saying this until it takes root - that article was written at least two months ago, at which time he wouldn't have heard anything from the box. Not seen the article yet, but it's entirely possible that the original interview went:

Int: Brian is it true you did a seven minute version of "H&V" ?

BDW: Yeah.

See my post above

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »

The H&V quote is from another piece about BB post Smile in the same MOJO which includes quotes from BW. AJ and ML and VDP and goes like this

"It was supposed to outdo (GV) and be the new masterpiece," said Brian. "I did it extended for 7 minutes. The 3:36 version bore only a distant relation to the wild, rambling, rollercoaster rendition I'd once described as a muscial comedy, but I continued to believe the song was special."

Also I will put money on us getting H&V without the LEAD vocal on the upcoming release

Now, does that sound to anyone here like Brian ? No - sounds more like something out of his pseudobiography.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »

Now, does that sound to anyone here like Brian ? No - sounds more like something out of his pseudobiography.

You took the words right out of my fingertips!

More like:

Interviewer: Would you say that the 3:36 version bore only a distant relation to the wild, rambling, rollercoaster rendition you'd once described as a muscial comedy?

BW: Yes.

Interviewer: Did you continue to believe the song was special?

BW: Yes. Gershwin's people called us and asked us if we'd like to finish 101 so songs they sent us a tape. It was the biggest production of our lives.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »

OK, the Mojo 45 - "Cabin Essence" is as per 20/20 but in mono (mix ? fold-down ? no idea)... and "Wonderful" is as per the 1993 box.

Except.

The first set of bvs have an extra layer, the 'yodelling' bvs, at 0.53. otherwise, as per.

So I was 97% right.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »

That Brian quote about "H&V" ?

Guess where it comes from ?  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »

The first set of bvs have an extra layer, the 'yodelling' bvs, at 0.53.

That single suddenly became an even-more essential purchase.

Many cheers!

Have you bought a copy at your local newsagent by the way or on eBay?

“We live in divisive times.”
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »

OK, the Mojo 45 - "Cabin Essence" is as per 20/20 but in mono (mix ? fold-down ? no idea)... and "Wonderful" is as per the 1993 box.

Except.

The first set of bvs have an extra layer, the 'yodelling' bvs, at 0.53. otherwise, as per.

So I was 97% right.  Grin

Actually, since you said we'd be getting the 20/20 "Cabinessence" and the GV box "Wonderful" (i.e., nothing new from the SMiLE box), and it SEEMS that we've gotten a new mono mix of "Cabinessence" and a new mix of "Wonderful" with additional backing vocals ... it looks like you were 100% WRONG.  Wink

I kid, of course.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »

Go on then................

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »

Go on then................

Page 168 of the pseudobiography... so the author of the full "story" thinks it's a credible source.

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna have SUCH FUN with this !

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »

Guess where it comes from ?  Grin

It is from '(Not) My Own Story' is'nt it? I knew I'd read that quote before. Ooh, if I was Tod Gold I'd be ringing Mike Love to see if he could recommend a good litigation lawyer!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:40:25 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx