gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:35:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jim Morrison and the Beach Boys  (Read 17505 times)
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »

Supposedly Jim wanted to collaborate with Brian on an idea he had about a song. I think he wanted a Wall of Sound type track, but could never get ahold of Brian. (this was after Pet Sounds and probably SMiLE). Im wonderng if anyone else has a Jim Morrison or Doors and Beach Boys story.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »

I think he was a big Wild Honey fan, which I always thought was cool.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18:33 AM »

Supposedly Jim wanted to collaborate with Brian on an idea he had about a song. I think he wanted a Wall of Sound type track, but could never get ahold of Brian. (this was after Pet Sounds and probably SMiLE). Im wonderng if anyone else has a Jim Morrison or Doors and Beach Boys story.

On Morrison's original Elektra press bio, he states he's a Beach Boys fan. He also states that both his parents are dead. Just sayin'.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:37 AM »

On Morrison's original Elektra press bio, he states he's a Beach Boys fan. He also states that both his parents are dead. Just sayin'.  Smiley
On the same Elektra bio, Robby Krieger's name is mispelled.  Grin I can't really see Jim getting to heavily into The Beach Boys. Although, the group's 1965 demo tape does seem to have some surf music influences.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:21:16 AM »

I think that the Beach Boys are a subtle influence on the Doors. Possibly more on Krieger than Morrison, though.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »

Jim l,oved the Beach Boys. That time he revealed his penis onstage was an attempt to top some of Mike's more outlandish stage routines.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:25 AM »

The lizard king came to me in a dream. The moon was full, they all were. He looked at me flicked his hair and started to walk off, turned and said "touch me!" "Thats my Wilson tune". I was touched!
Not to touch the Earth would of been a great song for Brian to work on!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:01 AM »

Wild Honey's organ playing really reminds me of The Doors. As has been alluded to above I think the band bio in The Doors LP had Wild Honey listed as Jim's favorite album.

The sound of Wild Honey is all over The Doors.

BTW, does anyone have any more info on the original story (about Jim wanting Brian to help him with a song)? That would be the ultimate collaboration, imo.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:26:25 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:33:32 AM »

Just did a quick Google search and found this blog.
http://manson.freeforums.org/jim-morrison-t31.html

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
egon spengler
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:10 AM »

If I'm remembering correctly, I believe one of the blurbs in LLVS is about Morrison saying that he prefers the Beach Boys to the Beatles.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 06:52:51 AM »

An elf appeared to me last night and told me that when Brian wrote My Solution, Jim Morrison was there in spirit.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »

Dennis and Jim Morrison once got into a fight iirc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »

The one I can think of is a piece of audio I have on an October 1967 KHJ aircheck tape where Jim Morrison is reading an ad for "Cheetah" magazine which featured an article on Brian Wilson. It's not Jim's own words - he's reading ad copy and it sounds like he just woke up and someone gave him the words to read. Cheesy

I think Brian Wilson's music was an influence across the board especially when it was new in the 60's. Brian was known around the musician circles for making great sounding records, and whether a few negative quotes from people like Hendrix have been reprinted through the years, Brian had most everyone's ears and respect who was making music in the 60's, and that would have included The Doors.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:29:13 AM »

JIm went to university in Florida, and in L.A. he lived rough on the beach for a while. How could he avoid the music of the BBs? It must have been a constant presence.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »

There is a well circulated story of Dennis punching out Jim Morrison outside of the Whisky, apparently Morrison was heckling the band on stage and Dennis suggested they take it outside. Eric Burdon was involved in this fracas, I think Ed Roach was there and/or he's one of the orig. sources of this story. Also Dennis' first wife Carole dated Morrison, which may have added to the tension. But Dennis liked the Doors music apparently, he wanted to write music in that vein according to Stan Shapiro. Slip On Through is a nod to Break On Through. There is additional Morrison/Dennis connection. Also the Dave Marks book has a Dave/Doors story from '66.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:08 AM »

JIm went to university in Florida, and in L.A. he lived rough on the beach for a while. How could he avoid the music of the BBs? It must have been a constant presence.

I remember a quote in which he said that the Beach Boys were the reason he came to California.
Anyway:

Morrison's 1966 Elektra bio

FAVORITE SINGING GROUPS: Beach Boys, Kinks, Love
INDIVIDUAL SINGERS: Sinatra, Presley

Frank Lisciandro, a very close friend of Morrison, said this: But Jim really, really loved the Beach Boys, and he loved Elvis.

After that he goes on about how they went to a Elvis-show in Miami in 1970

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »

The sound of Wild Honey is all over The Doors.

You do know that The Doors' first album was recorded over a year before Wild Honey?
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »

The one I can think of is a piece of audio I have on an October 1967 KHJ aircheck tape where Jim Morrison is reading an ad for "Cheetah" magazine which featured an article on Brian Wilson. It's not Jim's own words - he's reading ad copy and it sounds like he just woke up and someone gave him the words to read. Cheesy

I think Brian Wilson's music was an influence across the board especially when it was new in the 60's. Brian was known around the musician circles for making great sounding records, and whether a few negative quotes from people like Hendrix have been reprinted through the years, Brian had most everyone's ears and respect who was making music in the 60's, and that would have included The Doors.
Of course Morrison was a Beach Boys fan, anyone in there right mind is. And as far as
Hendrix goes, he was referring to the fact that Dick Dale was ill in the hospital at the time, hence "you'll never hear surf music again..." Hendrix's 2 biggest influences were Chuck Berry and Dick Dale.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

And as far as Hendrix goes, he was referring to the fact that Dick Dale was ill in the hospital at the time, hence "you'll never hear surf music again..."
Do you remember where you saw this? Was it interview or print? I have read and seen interviews but never saw this or maybe it went by me. Thanks.

edit: The reason I ask is that guitarfool2002 is correct that it is has become a negative commentary on surf music. One little statement in a song taken out of context and had an entirely different meaning, but had obvious influence.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:18:15 PM by OBLiO » Logged

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

And as far as Hendrix goes, he was referring to the fact that Dick Dale was ill in the hospital at the time, hence "you'll never hear surf music again..."
Do you remember where you saw this? Was it interview or print? I have read and seen interviews but never saw this or maybe it went by me. Thanks.

edit: The reason I ask is that guitarfool2002 is correct that it is has become a negative commentary on surf music. One little statement in a song taken out of context and had an entirely different meaning, but had obvious influence.

I'm wondering if this is simply apocryphal? I've heard Dick Dale himself tell this story and it's possible that he had assumed Hendrix was referring to his illness. Dale himself did a cover recording of Hendrix's "Third Stone From The Sun" a while back in which he spoke at the beginning "Hey Jimi, I'm still here...wish you were". The bottom line is: regardless of whether Hendrix meant the line as a cryptic message regarding Dale, he was an admirer of Dale's guitar playing and I doubt Hendrix intended the line to be boastful or dismissive.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »

http://www.surfermag.com/features/king-of-surf-guitar-dick-dale-%E2%80%9Cyou%E2%80%99ll-never-hear-surf-music-again-that%E2%80%99s-a-big-lie%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%93-jimi-hendrix/

found it... Dick Dale Interview and in case the link goes away:

"I had never missed a gig in my life, and I had a temperature of 104, and I couldn’t even talk…and had got hit real bad with rectal cancer. Jimi was recording in the studio and said, “I heard Dale did a no-show. That’s not like him. You know?”

His guitar player said, “No man, he’s dying.”

They had given me three months to live.

Then Jimi said, “You’ll never hear surf music again.” And then he said, “I bet that’s a big lie. Let’s pack up, boys, and go home.”

That was the full f–king sentence."

OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »

I doubt Hendrix intended the line to be boastful or dismissive.
I doubt it too.. but I do remember people taking it that way.. as a dismissive... or a thing to knock surf music. The line is a sign of respect... wish I was armed with that bit o' knowledge when I heard the knock.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »

I was thinking of the interview - I don't recall where it was - where Hendrix commented on Heroes And Villains with this statement: "Don't much care for the Beach Boys. They remind me of a psychedelic barbershop quartet."

I've seen that quote reprinted to suggest Hendrix wasn't a fan in general, where obviously as shown above the story with his "...never hear surf music..." was blown way out of proportion through the years (and several books too). I can't think of any other comments from Hendrix suggesting he liked or disliked the band, but that one about Heroes is the one I had in mind. Maybe someone can step in and find some more quotes from Jimi.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »

Hendrix is insane, imo, for referring as psychedelic barbershop as anything other than a good thing

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »

that quote seems pretty definitive.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx