gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 05:37:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will "the Beach Boys" promote "Smile"???  (Read 6566 times)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »

Strangely DFTS is marketed as an Al Jardine song, though it contains (almost) all of the boys...  Contractual reasons? Otherwise it is the first decent Beach Boys song in years.... Wink

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/beach-boys-japan-relief-vinyl-records.shtml
oldsurferdude
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »

If I could witness Mike chicken dancing 'round stage while crooning "over and over the crow flies uncover the cornfield" I could die a happy man.

As if this isn't enough... ;P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2qE61E0i7s

Mike is a great emcee, and for whatever reason, none of the other band members had that natural comic gift.

As many times as I've seen and heard them, I've Never noticed Mike having a natural comic gift. Oh, I've heard his patter, fer sure; but natural comic gift? 
NO.

bgas - Have you seen Billy's (Hinsche) 1974 On the Road with the Beach Boys? If not, then you might think of getting the DVD.

It seems almost "cultish" - this new "Political Correctness" analysis of The Music...where it is not taken in the context of the times in which is was written/composed.  After all art and music are a reflection of the times in which it was written/composed...

If you can get a laugh from people you don't know, then you do have a comic gift...But, don't take my word; take Ed Carter's... Wink

The three shows I saw last week were sold out...it speaks for itself... Wink 

Not quite-it speaks for the brilliance of Brian's compositions-not Myke's version of what he calls humor. Most people  are there for the surf and car songs that Brian wrote and let Myke sing lead on a few of them.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:26 AM »

. Most people  are there for the surf and car songs that Brian wrote and let Myke sing lead on a few of them.
[/quote]

So only the SONGWRITER/PRODUCER has the true right to perform the songs?
That must suck for Sinatra 90% of all people on the charts during the sixties!

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »

Brian did his own version of Smile and will certainly be doing Smile cuts at concerts in the future.
But the big Q is: will Mike and Bruce be doing Smile songs? And what about Al?

Huh

I don't think they - Mike and Al - have the band to do it and more importantly they don't have the voices to carry it off either

Cheers

Richard
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 06:29:18 AM »

The band today is not that much different than the one put together for the 1993 tour. If Al tours with Mike & Bruce this year, I think they could perform a few numbers like GV, H&V, Wonderful, Vega-Tables, possibly even Surf's Up with Christian and Randall or even Matt Jardine handling vocals. I really do not think it would be terribly difficult to pull off. More often than not over the past couple years, Mike & Bruce do more album cuts than Brian and his band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »

When the "Songs from here & back"-CD came out, Mike was the only one to promote it. Well, I don't know about Al. So I'm pretty sure that he will mention it in concert. I just wonder if GV would be the only song from Smile or if the add H&V. In my earlier post I mentioned which songs I could imagine they would do.
Brian tours his Gershwin-album. So the question is if he'll be doing so much promotion for Smile in his concerts

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 04:30:03 AM »

The band today is not that much different than the one put together for the 1993 tour. If Al tours with Mike & Bruce this year, I think they could perform a few numbers like GV, H&V, Wonderful, Vega-Tables, possibly even Surf's Up with Christian and Randall or even Matt Jardine handling vocals. I really do not think it would be terribly difficult to pull off. More often than not over the past couple years, Mike & Bruce do more album cuts than Brian and his band.

Can't imagine the Mike Bruce Al band with strings and french horn and proper instruments doing Smile songs properly - the musicians don't have the required love for the parts

BTW even when Brian and his band do singles at least they sound right

Cheers

Richard
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 05:10:20 AM »

Ok, now THAT is ridiculous.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 05:25:33 AM »

And maybe you don't have the proper love to listen it? Was there enough love by the musicians when played on the 1993 Tour? maybe everyone will drop acid before Showtime.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:26:41 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,