gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:05:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - The Bed Years  (Read 28224 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »

It was in the, I believe, 1976 Rolling Stone profile of the band; it had interviews with Brian, the band minus Brian, Audree, and Marilyn. I believe it might have had an interview with Landy too...it's reprinted in the McParland Back to the Beach compilation book.

Marilyn also didn't know what celibacy was, either.
Not with Rocky Pamplin around.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »

After my father died, I spent 3 months in bed, for what it's worth...

Mikie- Brian's vocal on Back Home was indeed from that session...it's the first recorded lead featuring Brian's "new" voice. His falsetto was already shot by the time he did the Johnny Rivers Help Me Rhonda session, but as far as his lead goes, without hearing any of the fall 1974 voice I couldn't tell you 100% when his voice was "completely gruff".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »

Last really clear thing that's going around was Rolling Up To Heaven fall 74.
If you listen to Brian interviews from 1971-74 there is a difference by 1974 but not nearly what it was by 1976. The Pewter one from 1974  he sounds in between. The one from New York in 1973 he sounds like the young Brian but is coughing quite a bit.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 05:17:19 AM »

If you listen to Brian interviews from 1971-74 there is a difference by 1974 but not nearly what it was by 1976. The Pewter one from 1974  he sounds in between. The one from New York in 1973 he sounds like the young Brian but is coughing quite a bit.

... and having a serious laughing jag.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 06:42:02 AM »

It was in the, I believe, 1976 Rolling Stone profile of the band; it had interviews with Brian, the band minus Brian, Audree, and Marilyn. I believe it might have had an interview with Landy too...it's reprinted in the McParland Back to the Beach compilation book.

Marilyn also didn't know what celibacy was, either.

i had a radio special on reel to reel tapes sent to radio staions back in 1977. it was called "a conversation with brian wilson". i think it was done by king bisquit flower hour. all brian interview. i think the following was on that tape.
during the interview brian was asked about tm. he replied that he has sex but does not come. the reason was by not coming after awhile " the sperm backs up a duct to the brain and reaches the pineal gland and produces the state of cosmically consciousness". i just about fell over the first time i heard that.
it has been a long time since i heard those tapes but i think it was in that special. but i may have that name wrong but there is an interview with brian where he says the above.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:41:05 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »

Brian's hair always looked pretty good for a guy who spent so much time in bed. One short nap and mine looks like crap.

True, that side parting never seemed to falter. I wish mine would hold that well.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »

The guy who had the chicken coop studio in Otho, Iowa told me that Brian was in Ft. Dodge, supposedly to do some demos for American Spring--but he wouldn't get out of bed at the Holiday Inn in town. Only after the guy visited him did Brian finally come out and record some stuff. As I recall, it wasn't released, but it led to more recording for Spring.

And staying in bed when you're seriously depressed is not necessarily a choice or a behavior...there's something diabolically sinister about the disease that literally will NOT LET YOU get out of bed...you have no energy. It's truly awful. And anyone who says "snap out of it" has no idea what's it's actually like. (Sorry for going OT...just had to put in my .02...)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »

The guy who had the chicken coop studio in Otho, Iowa told me that Brian was in Ft. Dodge, supposedly to do some demos for American Spring--but he wouldn't get out of bed at the Holiday Inn in town. Only after the guy visited him did Brian finally come out and record some stuff. As I recall, it wasn't released, but it led to more recording for Spring.

And staying in bed when you're seriously depressed is not necessarily a choice or a behavior...there's something diabolically sinister about the disease that literally will NOT LET YOU get out of bed...you have no energy. It's truly awful. And anyone who says "snap out of it" has no idea what's it's actually like. (Sorry for going OT...just had to put in my .02...)

And not to be flippant about it, but getting out of bed in a chain hotel in a cold and unfamiliar environment is hard even for people that aren't depressed.  I get depressed just thinking about being in a Holiday Inn in Iowa.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »

Yeah, and Ft. Dodge ain't exactly "Cedar Rapids"!

But I have to say, that chicken coop studio was pretty cool. It's still in use. (Westminist'r Sound aka Junior's Motel).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »

i had a radio special on reel to reel tapes sent to radio staions back in 1977. it was called "a conversation with brian wilson". i think it was done by king bisquit flower hour. all brian interview. i think the following was on that tape.
during the interview brian was asked about tm. he replied that he has sex but does not come. the reason was by not coming after awhile " the sperm backs up a duct to the brain and reaches the pineal gland and produces the state of cosmically consciousness". i just about fell over the first time i heard that.
You know, in college I took a course on India--kind of a humanities course, touching on history, religion, philosophy, politics, literature, all lumped together--and one of their groups' traditions does more or less include that idea. It doesn't forbid sex, but it says if you abstain from actual ejaculation, you basically build up spiritual power. I guess it's easy to say that would happen ... because who wants to hold off so long to find out and prove it wrong?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

Seems like mood disorder ran in the Wilson family.  Along with a predisposition to self-medicate.
MBE
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »

If you listen to Brian interviews from 1971-74 there is a difference by 1974 but not nearly what it was by 1976. The Pewter one from 1974  he sounds in between. The one from New York in 1973 he sounds like the young Brian but is coughing quite a bit.

... and having a serious laughing jag.  Grin
Oh yeah that's great!
Never heard the orgazim interview but I have so many interview fragments it may be on something I haven't heard yet.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »

Brian's hair always looked pretty good for a guy who spent so much time in bed. One short nap and mine looks like crap.

True, that side parting never seemed to falter. I wish mine would hold that well.

He has manly man hair.  Lots of guys have hair that women admire, Brian has hair that even MEN admire.  Got to be one of the best heads of hair in music, even at 68 or whatever he's made it to now.  I hope my hair is that cool when i'm old.  Hell, I'm 32 and my hair isn't that cool, damn him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »

I'm 32 and I'm bald Sad

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »

I'm 32 and I'm bald Sad
You have Beach Boy hair...albeit, Mike Love hair.  LOL  Razz

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »

Thursday April 4 1974

While still in Los Angeles on holiday, Paul and Linda decide to pay a visit to Brian Wilson, the now reclusive member of The Beach Boys, at his Bel Air home. They McCartneys bang on the door for over an hour, but Wilson refuses to let them in. Paul and Linda knew Brian was there, because they could hear him inside quietly crying to himself. With no alternative, Paul and Linda depart from the house and head on their way.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »

Thursday April 4 1974

While still in Los Angeles on holiday, Paul and Linda decide to pay a visit to Brian Wilson, the now reclusive member of The Beach Boys, at his Bel Air home. They McCartneys bang on the door for over an hour, but Wilson refuses to let them in. Paul and Linda knew Brian was there, because they could hear him inside quietly crying to himself. With no alternative, Paul and Linda depart from the house and head on their way.

Must have been a REALLy slow day in McCartneyland. I'm hard pressed to think of anytime I'd stand outside banging on someone's door,  for more than an hour.
"Brian, Pretty Please, with coke on top, open the door". 
Nah, I think they might have been there, maybe, 20 minutes...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »

Sometimes when you are really high, 20 minutes can feel like an hour (or vice versa) LOL

MBE
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »

I always thought that Nick Kent made that story up.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:14 AM »

He has manly man hair.  Lots of guys have hair that women admire, Brian has hair that even MEN admire.  Got to be one of the best heads of hair in music, even at 68 or whatever he's made it to now.  I hope my hair is that cool when i'm old.  Hell, I'm 32 and my hair isn't that cool, damn him.

Goota say, I am 38 and my once jet black, thick hair is greying and thinning.

And I don't sing as well as Brian does at 68 either.

Damn I should have taken more drugs when I was in my twenties Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 05:33:24 AM »

Isn't that story supposed to be they go round for dinner, Brian is increasingly scared/awkward until he breaks a plate or something and goes up to his room, whereupon Macca knocks and hears him. Poor guy. That story is so heartbreaking.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

Isn't that story supposed to be they go round for dinner, Brian is increasingly scared/awkward until he breaks a plate or something and goes up to his room, whereupon Macca knocks and hears him. Poor guy. That story is so heartbreaking.

No, that's the goldfish bowl/Candice Bergen story, as related by Terry Melcher in the 1971 Rolling Stone 2-fer.

And... that came flying straight out of my head without any concious thought whatsoever. Which scares the holy crap out of me.  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »

Wait...Candice Bergen?

gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »

Terry and Candice rented a house up on Cielo Drive....
cutterschoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »

If you listen to Brian interviews from 1971-74 there is a difference by 1974 but not nearly what it was by 1976. The Pewter one from 1974  he sounds in between. The one from New York in 1973 he sounds like the young Brian but is coughing quite a bit.

Could someone please point me in the direction of these interviews?
I've only been able to find a video from 1976 with Mike Douglas and some other transcripts.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx