gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:30:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE "GOOD VIBRATIONS"/"HEROES AND VILLAINS" 78 RPM  (Read 57969 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »

Apols for bum,pin this up with a speculative speculation,

But I'd speculate as many already have that the versions of GVs & H&V on this release will be the same as we already have, given that Mark indicated in his Billboard interview that the SMiLE packages are some way from being finalised. I also wonder whether the 78s are being put together by a different team so that MArk and Alan can focus on the real job in hand.

“We live in divisive times.”
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

This is a pointless exercise. A 78 rpm bonus giveaway with the Smile boxed set would be one thing (like the MTR giveaway with Holland), but to expect anyone to actually pay for this...? Whoever's cunty idea this was must really hate Beach Boy fans.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:26:10 PM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

This is a pointless exercise. A 78 rpm bonus giveaway with the Smile boxed set would be one thing (like the MTR giveaway with Holland), but to expect anyone to actually pay for this...? Whoever's cunty idea this was must really hate Beach Boy fans.

Before the official boxset was announced, I was planning on getting the 78 - but since there will be two singles issued with the boxset (and no doubt they will probably be the same 'Heroes and Villains'/'Good Vibrations' singles - and will actually be playable) I am holding off.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »

So are you going to buy one?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »

The point of the exercise was twofold - to promote Record Store Day, and to subtly trailer the Smile Box. In both of these aims it has been entirely successful.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »

cunty

LOL

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

That Brother John is an articulate individual.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 01:31:33 AM »

So are you going to buy one?

Well, I do have a wind-up gramophone which plays 78s, but no I won't be buying one. I shall definitely buy the Smile box, but like lots of fans I resent having every possible penny squeezed out of me. The Beach Boys/Wilson companies handling releases do seem to be particularly greedy in this respect. And yes AGD you are right of course, but I say pointless because it offers nothing new to the Beach Boy fan. Some people will buy it because they buy everything, but its just another few buck that some fans feel obliged to shell out.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:35:42 AM by brother john » Logged

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 01:40:56 AM »

That Brother John is an articulate individual.  Grin

In fact I was slightly the worse for drink when I posted, hence my barely contained rage and the colourful adjective, which I'm glad Sam_BFC enjoyed!   Wink

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 01:45:36 AM »

I love it when I learn new words

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »

Was checking Ebay this morning, and noticed an Italian record store has a copy of the 78 set up for a 20 Euro Buy It Now: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEACH-BOYS-GOOD-VIBRATIONS-HEROES-AND-VILLAINS-78-GIRI-/260765724003

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »

I thought that record wasn't gonna be out until Record Store Day on April 16th!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:49:11 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »

Was checking Ebay this morning, and noticed an Italian record store has a copy of the 78 set up for a 20 Euro Buy It Now: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEACH-BOYS-GOOD-VIBRATIONS-HEROES-AND-VILLAINS-78-GIRI-/260765724003

Wonder if it was sold... or withdrawn ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 07:42:41 AM »

Wonder if it was sold... or withdrawn ?

Sold for 20 euro it seems

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »

Were that store to have been noticed selling Record Store Day releases that way, it would be kicked out of the scheme.  Still might be if anyone choses to shop it (Shop a store? Store a shop?).

The whole point is to get music fans into stores.

These stores are biting the dust because of cheap competition on the internet, and this is a great way of countering it.  Or at least, it coulda been…

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »

so its a 10 inch that plays as a 78 right? - http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases#The%20Beach%20Boys

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »

THEY ARE INDEED DELICATE.  WHEN MY GRANDFATHER PASSED I INHERITED HIS 78'S.  I WAS A CHILD BUT I TRIED TO BE CAREFUL KNOWING THEY WERE BRITTLE.   THEY WERE ALL BROKEN WITHIN A YEAR OR 2.  ACCIDENTALLY DROPPING ONE ON ITS EDGE, EVEN FROM A COUPLE OF INCHES SEEMED TO BE ENOUGH TO BREAK THEM.  I NOW HAVE SOME ROCK ERA 78'S BUT I HAVE THEM MOUNTED IN FRAMES AND DON'T BOTHER THEM. 

EVEN SOME 45'S SEEMED TO BE QUITE BRITTLE.  MY RED BIRD LABEL 45'S ALL SEEM TO HAVE DEVELOPED  CRACKS OR CHIPS.
Here's a small tidbit.
Back in college I had to write a paper on the history of recordings and did a bunch of research regarding 78's to find that some of the materials used to make them consisted of- tree bark, dirt, mud, oil and tar!! That's why they are so brittle. The BB 78's will be vinyl, NOT mud!  Wink
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »

From the Hoffman board...

Someone who somehow already has a copy of the Good Vibrations 78 has told me that there is a card in the packaging promoting the new SMiLE Sessions release.
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=245912&page=50

Let's just hope that whatever this card says, it doesn't end up in Smile infamy along with the "We're sure to sell a million units in January!" in-house promo and the Teen Set "Look! Listen! Vibrate! Smile!" ad.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »

Someone who somehow already has a copy of the Good Vibrations 78 has told me that there is a card in the packaging promoting the new SMiLE Sessions release.

Let's just hope that whatever this card says, it doesn't end up in Smile infamy along with the "We're sure to sell a million units in January!" in-house promo and the Teen Set "Look! Listen! Vibrate! Smile!" ad.

You mean a disappearing act? 
The Teen Set ad is not ALL that hard to come by, while the promo LP is darn near impossible.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

You mean a disappearing act? 
The Teen Set ad is not ALL that hard to come by, while the promo LP is darn near impossible.

Yes, rarity is an element of it, but mainly I meant that I hope this insert doesn't jinx everything and promise something (i.e., "Watch for Capitol's super-duper deluxe Smile Sessions box set!!!  Coming to your favorite record store in Summer 2011")  that ends up not happening.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »

Bgas... what is this in-house promo LP of which you speak?  I've never heard of it.

And by the way, I think I might like to get this disc.  I collect 78s and restore old phonographs, and to have this really odd record just seems... pretty neat. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:52:30 PM by Shane » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2011, 06:04:09 AM »

Bgas... what is this in-house promo LP of which you speak?  I've never heard of it.

And by the way, I think I might like to get this disc.  I collect 78s and restore old phonographs, and to have this really odd record just seems... pretty neat. 

One copy, that I kow of; resides in a home in the UK. Capitol/Angel promo that has the "we'll sell a million" recording. Plain white cover, I think, and very generic appearing labels. 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »

A card?

If they wanted to do it up the old-school way, they'd make the card playable on phonographs with a little hole in the middle to punch out so it fits on the turntable. Like those old cereal box records that wouldn't play unless you put a coin on them to weigh them down.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

So much for the rumored 5000 copies; here's one on ebay with #5473: 

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEACH-BOYS-Good-Vibrations-RSD-78-dbl10-VINYL-LIMITED-/220768834597?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3366d91425

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

Did they say this one was going to be a 5000 copy release? I know they did for the Don't Fight The Sea single but I don't recall seeing how many of the GV/H&V were being printed.

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx