gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 05:24:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CAPITOL/EMI TO RELEASE "GOOD VIBRATIONS"/"HEROES AND VILLAINS" 78 RPM  (Read 58233 times)
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »

In other words, I'm smiling the whole time which may have been the point of Capitol issuing a 78 which can't be played on a 78 jukebox all along.

I love this sentence...it's so Capitol of Capitol to do this.  "Hey, let's put out a 78 that can't be played very well!"  Most fans (and by most, I mean about 98%) ended up with a really cool thing and not much more. 
But even if it's a gimmick, it's still all good.  The retail price was reasonable for a limited-edition really-cool-thing. The packaging is gorgeous.  And despite Capitol being Capitol, they do know the BB/BW fanbase exists and put out things like the PS box, Endless Harmony, and Hawthorne, CA.  It was good to see a BB item as part of Record Store Day, too.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »

Yes!! Got one off ebay for 28 euros, so happy!!!

The website I bought one off yesterday sent an email this morning saying they had no more stock, but thank god for ebay!  Head Spin w00t!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »

One of the new phonographs they're selling ywhich plays at 33-45-78. that or a laserdisc player?

You mean those little "Crosley" models that are made to look old? Do they have a stylus which can be changed to play 78's? I'm asking seriously - the last turntable I had which played 78's, you had to change the stylus to avoid damage if you wanted to play 78's.

Crosley's are GREAT!!! Look great, sound even better...till they break...which they always do..  Undecided Went through two of them just listening to vinyl.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2011, 10:15:30 AM »

Is it just my enthusiasm for the project or does Heroes and Villains sound REALLY good even with that youtube video's crappy audio?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »

Is it the Smiley H&V's??
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »

Didn't sound like any mix of H&V I have ever heard.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:42:27 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

Dang-it. I wish I had this. Can't wait for this box set.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »

Didn't sound a any mix of H&V I have ever heard.

Sounds like the H&V form Smiley though a bit sped up.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »

The quality of that YouTube "Heroes" fragment is too poor to make a good judgement on the quality of the mix. But...

One thing that jumped out of the sonic muck, though, were the "DOOOO YOOOUUUU" backing vocals. I remember more than one fan blasting how loud that vocal was on BWPS' version of Heroes, and whether it was Foskett or Darian the criticism was harsh, with words like "obnoxious" being hurled at whoever was singing that part in Brian's band.

Now we have a *Beach Boys* version/mix where those DOOOO YOOOOUUUU vocals are as in-your-face as BWPS!

Lovin' it. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »

I thought the "doo you" sounded much more forward in the mix too (but has you said, hard to tell because of the sound quality).
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »

Didn't sound a any mix of H&V I have ever heard.

Sounds like the H&V form Smiley though a bit sped up.

I agree.  FWIW, a lot of the modern multi-speed tables play everything a bit too fast.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »

Did nobody post pictures of the artwork (or the disc, but none of you guys have opened them yet  Grin) or did I just miss the post?

I wanted to drive the hour to Berkeley to pick one of these up but I had to spend all my money on books for school.

Pretty cool.

Is it me or does it look like it was copied from something? Almost like handwritten lyrics.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »

Would someone kindly let me know the catalog numbers (if there are any) of the 78s and the "DFTS" single ? Thanks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »

Is it me or does it look like it was copied from something? Almost like handwritten lyrics.

Okay, let the games begin... Whose penmanship?  Anonymous artist at Capitol?  Brian Wilson?  Van Dyke Parks?  Alan Boyd?  Diane Rovell?  LOL
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »

Okay, let the games begin... Whose penmanship?  Anonymous artist at Capitol?  Brian Wilson?  Van Dyke Parks?  Alan Boyd?  Diane Rovell?  LOL

We need to see more copies to decide if  they were done by hand or not.

BTW, my vote goes to 6 year old Indonesian boy.

No mas, por favor.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »

Would someone kindly let me know the catalog numbers (if there are any) of the 78s and the "DFTS" single ? Thanks.

The 78 is listed as 509990 98341 18 at Discogs.  No entry for DFTS yet.

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Good-Vibrations-Heroes-And-Villians/release/2830541?ev=item-vc
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »

The 78 is listed as 509990 98341 18 at Discogs.  No entry for DFTS yet.

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Good-Vibrations-Heroes-And-Villians/release/2830541?ev=item-vc

Many thanks.

harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »

Don't fight the Sea seems to be RR 1101.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »

Don't fight the Sea seems to be RR 1101.

Splendid. Thanks all.

OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »

came across an interesting blog entry:

http://floweringtoilet.blogspot.com/2011/04/beach-boys-good-vibrations-78-rpm-screw.html

it's kind of like having to worry whether or not the air traffic controller is sleeping when all you want to worry about is reaching your destination.  Razz

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »

came across an interesting blog entry:

http://floweringtoilet.blogspot.com/2011/04/beach-boys-good-vibrations-78-rpm-screw.html

it's kind of like having to worry whether or not the air traffic controller is sleeping when all you want to worry about is reaching your destination.  Razz

This is really interesting: To sum up, the guy on the linked blog has an audio engineering background and is saying the new Beach Boys 78 was not, in his opinion, mastered and/or cut to be heard at its best when played out of the box at 78rpm speed.

So we have at least one report of the record being ruined by a 78 rpm jukebox and stylus.

Another of someone with an audio background who says the record sounds better when played at 45rpm then sped up by the user on another application.

Perhaps the best thing to do with this record is keep it sealed and sell it on Ebay when you get tired of storing it. Playing it doesn't seem to be the best option for this instant collectible. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:48 AM »

Perhaps the best thing to do with this record is keep it sealed and sell it on Ebay when you get tired of storing it. Playing it doesn't seem to be the best option for this instant collectible. Cheesy

I'm really amazed that anyone would want to play this!  I bought mine to keep it sealed forever.
This isn't an average vinyl release I'd buy to play, not by a long shot.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »

I'm really amazed that anyone would want to play this!  I bought mine to keep it sealed forever.
This isn't an average vinyl release I'd buy to play, not by a long shot.

Hold the phone! Wasn't there talk of some kind of improved sound quality as a selling point on this record release, or am I recalling what fans were saying versus the official line? I thought the fact that the songs were "remastered" was a selling point, though I could be wrong. If that were the case, you would need to actually play the record to appreciate the selling point...if I'm wrong, it's a moot point and the record was designed as something to buy and collect  but not to be played.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »

I just heard this for the first time this morning. My verdict: It's not remastered. It sounds just like whats on Smiley Smile. Glad I heard it first. No way would I spend $30+ on this.  Afro
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »

We talked about this up top.  A friend of mine got this on record store day.  As I thought, it was mastered with a standard LP lathe, as any modern LP or 45 would be.  It just plays back at 78, like "Buena" by Joe "King" Carrasco, or "Just Like Gene Autry" by Moby Grape (from the "WOW" album, 1968).

If the guy played the 78 on an old Crosley or Victrola fitted WITH A 78 NEEDLE, of course it would sound awful!  The old reproducers put, like, 8 oz. weight on the record, plus 78 needles are wider and would cut a standard LP/45 groove to ribbons! Dope!!

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx