gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:27:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update from Bruce: Reagan Tribute  (Read 10859 times)
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 03:53:10 AM »

Man... saving online streams on the web isn't  easy!!
Neither is uploading them to youtube afterwards...

but
enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7xwvOT865c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llGPKlR4PHI

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 04:13:16 AM »

Thanks ReggieDunbar. As you might have noticed AGD just posted the links as well, probably having been waiting for hours for these to surface on YouTube. Much appreciated!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:04 AM »

Nice!

//RD
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:42:48 AM by ReggieDunbar » Logged

screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 04:28:57 AM »

AGD got them from me... Tongue
As i'm the one uploading them...

//RD

Nah, got them from Henrik Skold who's linked them on FaceBook... but many thanks, a good thing to have seen.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 04:47:23 AM »

Hmm...
//RD

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »

Man... saving online streams on the web isn't  easy!!
Neither is uploading them to youtube afterwards...

but
enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7xwvOT865c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llGPKlR4PHI

//RD

Thank you so much !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »

How this band continues to think they need a gimmick such as Stamos to make themselves look cool is beyond me. Honestly? Stamos in 2011? At least he was somewhat popular in '88.

I am NOT a  Stamos fan by any means of the imagination ( I really, really don't care for him),however I don't think it's wrong for the guys to have somebody in their band that is, well, their friend. He's been a champion for these BB's for years, so of course he's one of Mike's boys. Doesn't matter if we don't like him, and I don't think they do it to 'make themselves look cool', I think they do it because he's their friend.

Actually, would have been amusing if Brian had shown: imagine the rehearsal. "Brian, this is the guy who had a major say in making you look like a drooling mentally handicapped person in that primetime TV series ten years ago. Remember, the one where you had to get a disclaimer inserted ?"

So was it Brian (or his camp) who got that disclaimer inserted?  I've always wondered exactly how that transpired.  And the change happened in less than 24 hours.

First night (Feb 27, 2000) disclaimer:  "The following dramatization of events in the lives of the Beach Boys is based on published accounts and personal events."

Second night (Feb. 28, 2000) disclaimer (in much larger letters): "The following film is a dramatization based on the early years of The Beach Boys.  Some of the scenes may have been fictionalized for dramatic purposes."

My recollection is that Stamos said he had major regrets about the project, stating he had wanted to bring The Beach Boys story to tv, but that things had spiraled out of his control and the project hadn't turned out as he had expected.

In addition to the film itself, another shocker is reading some of the reviews printed on the back of the "For your Emmy Consideration" double VHS set.  Obviously, they're only going to print good reviews on such a set, but here are some excerpts:  "This movie deserves critical acclaim as well as popular success" (Washington Post) ---- "This film has a focused energy and intelligence totally lacking in recent efforts" (San Jose Mercury News) ---- "Ellis' script is splendid" (Daily Variety).

Of course, these reviewers probably took the material at face value, or were OK with the fact (which totally irritates me) that filmmakers generally convince themselves that it's fine to distort the facts through "artistic license" in order to make a film memorable and attract an audience.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:19:12 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 01:16:55 PM »

--
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »

How this band continues to think they need a gimmick such as Stamos to make themselves look cool is beyond me. Honestly? Stamos in 2011? At least he was somewhat popular in '88.

I am NOT a  Stamos fan by any means of the imagination ( I really, really don't care for him),however I don't think it's wrong for the guys to have somebody in their band that is, well, their friend. He's been a champion for these BB's for years, so of course he's one of Mike's boys. Doesn't matter if we don't like him, and I don't think they do it to 'make themselves look cool', I think they do it because he's their friend.

Actually, would have been amusing if Brian had shown: imagine the rehearsal. "Brian, this is the guy who had a major say in making you look like a drooling mentally handicapped person in that primetime TV series ten years ago. Remember, the one where you had to get a disclaimer inserted ?"
I assume there is no ill will between Brian and Stamos having been in a three way conversation with the two of them backstage at the Hollywood Bowl in '08. Stamos and Brian interacted as if old friends, Melinda was also very welcoming to Stamos. Some guys just get away with stuff I guess.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »

In addition to the film itself, another shocker is reading some of the reviews printed on the back of the "For your Emmy Consideration" double VHS set.  Obviously, they're only going to print good reviews on such a set, but here are some excerpts:  "This movie deserves critical acclaim as well as popular success" (Washington Post) ---- "This film has a focused energy and intelligence totally lacking in recent efforts" (San Jose Mercury News) ---- "Ellis' script is splendid" (Daily Variety).

Of course, these reviewers probably took the material at face value, or were OK with the fact (which totally irritates me) that filmmakers generally convince themselves that it's fine to distort the facts through "artistic license" in order to make a film memorable and attract an audience.

... or they resorted to selective quoting. Example (not re: the TV series):

on promo material - "absolutely unbelievable"
actual review - "it's absolutely unbelievable how poor this movie is"

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »

I am NOT a  Stamos fan by any means of the imagination ( I really, really don't care for him),however I don't think it's wrong for the guys to have somebody in their band that is, well, their friend. He's been a champion for these BB's for years, so of course he's one of Mike's boys. Doesn't matter if we don't like him, and I don't think they do it to 'make themselves look cool', I think they do it because he's their friend.

Along these lines, here's Stamos doing his best Brian impersonation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f81vWxPfzM
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 06:50:58 AM »

So was it Brian (or his camp) who got that disclaimer inserted?  I've always wondered exactly how that transpired.  And the change happened in less than 24 hours.

First night (Feb 27, 2000) disclaimer:  "The following dramatization of events in the lives of the Beach Boys is based on published accounts and personal events."

Second night (Feb. 28, 2000) disclaimer (in much larger letters): "The following film is a dramatization based on the early years of The Beach Boys.  Some of the scenes may have been fictionalized for dramatic purposes."

My understanding is that Brian was provided with a screener for the first two hours early on and approved it (he even recorded some vocals for it), but the producers were hesitant to provide a screener for the second part. Brian and Melinda finally got to see the rest just a day or two before the broadcast and were outraged. They demanded a beefed up disclaimer be presented. Eventually, some other changes were made such as Van Dyke Parks name being changed (he threatened to sue).
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 07:13:25 AM »

So, was it the real Brian who recorded the young character's vocals in Brian's "new" voice? Those vocala weren't bad at all

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »

I always thought the disclaimer was more on VDP's behest than Brian's, given that it bloody well savages him. I can't remember much else of it, possibly my mind trying to do me a favour

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »

Brian and Melinda finally got to see the rest just a day or two before the broadcast and were outraged.

And rightfully so. I thought he came off as completely retarded and pretty much like a cartoon figure. Very insulting.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 07:56:48 AM »

It was neat to wake up this morning and  see the newspaper article on the Beach Boys appearing at the Reagon 100th celebration.  Beach Boys in large print, the same size and font as Nancy Reagon.  (the type , not Nancy Reagon herself)  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »

So, was it the real Brian who recorded the young character's vocals in Brian's "new" voice? Those vocala weren't bad at all

Brian re-recorded two short clips for the 1st part - both were when he was at the piano in the Rovell's house. One, as I recall was a song for the girls, and the other was "I Get Around". It was very obvious the voice was 2000 Brian.

Brian's comment on the mini-series was "It wasn't very nice".

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 08:08:37 AM »

I always thought the disclaimer was more on VDP's behest than Brian's, given that it bloody well savages him. I can't remember much else of it, possibly my mind trying to do me a favour

It wasn't just for VDP's sake. In addition to his own portrayal, Brian was not happy with how Dennis was treated either.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »

Along these lines, here's Stamos doing his best Brian impersonation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f81vWxPfzM

More like Dennis? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCe-K6NiTm8

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »

Brian re-recorded two short clips for the 1st part - both were when he was at the piano in the Rovell's house. One, as I recall was a song for the girls, and the other was "I Get Around". It was very obvious the voice was 2000 Brian.
Brian's comment on the mini-series was "It wasn't very nice".
I'm sure "In My Room" was another one he re-recorded.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »

Nice to know that they're working together again...but Reagan? Really?  Shocked

Why the eye-rolling ?  The BB have an historical association with the Reagan administration (and Dennis had a somewhat more personal connection with the family), so their being invited wasn't exactly a shocker.
I'm aware of the historical association...I wasn't surprised, I just think Reagan was an evil corporate merdahead beholden to the interests of the wealthy elite (same goes for Maggie Thatcher and Lyin' Brian Mulroney).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »

Why the eye-rolling ?  The BB have an historical association with the Reagan administration (and Dennis had a somewhat more personal connection with the family), so their being invited wasn't exactly a shocker.
I'm aware of the historical association...I wasn't surprised, I just think Reagan was an evil corporate merdahead beholden to the interests of the wealthy elite (same goes for Maggie Thatcher and Lyin' Brian Mulroney).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, my opinion is you're wrong.  Reagan.  REALLY.

People like you are really a piece of work.  The man has his 100th birthday celebration, has been dead for years, has a wife who's there who's ancient as well, and their favorite band  happened to be the Beach Boys.  It's not enough for you to just let a dead guy have it for one night, you have to start talking sh*t.  I'd hate to be such an asshole that I have to be a jerk at a fucking FUNERAL. 

Go rally against capitalism at a Rage against the Machine concert, the Beach Boys are all about some capitalism and Ronald Reagan.  Sorry.  I know it sucks, but thems the breaks.  At least yall have U2. 

What an ass. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, my opinion is you're wrong.  Reagan.  REALLY.

People like you are really a piece of work.  The man has his 100th birthday celebration, has been dead for years, has a wife who's there who's ancient as well, and their favorite band  happened to be the Beach Boys.  It's not enough for you to just let a dead guy have it for one night, you have to start talking merda.  I'd hate to be such an butthole that I have to be a jerk at a friggin' FUNERAL. 

Go rally against capitalism at a Rage against the Machine concert, the Beach Boys are all about some capitalism and Ronald Reagan.  Sorry.  I know it sucks, but thems the breaks.  At least yall have U2. 

What an ass. 
To be fair, nobody is being a jerk "at a friggin' FUNERAL." Reagan has been dead for years. And for people with memories, it is somewhere between awkward and hilarious how he is being inaccurately lionized in recent years as a Tea Party styled reformer, when in fact he was without question a compromiser who, while apparently theoretically in favor of shrinking government, grew it consistently and never balanced a single budget, and after cutting taxes significantly early on, reversed that shortly thereafter. The man was charismatic, no doubt about it. But he didn't actually do a lot of what his current legend says or hints that he did. And finding fault either with the reality of what he did (or didn't do) or with what he's credited with doing doesn't make one an ass. Or an anti-capitalistic rager (against the machiner ... thank you, thank you ... I thought of that myself). Anyway, this is begging to become Sandboxed, so I'll shut up. Except first I'll say, I have no qualms with the Beach Boys performing at a Reagan memorial party, regardless of my disagreements with the politics. And I think all presidents deserve a certain amount of respect, also regardless of my disagreements with their politics. So go for it, Mssrs. Love, Johnston, Jardine, & Co. If you needed my blessing--which you don't--you have it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »

People like you are really a piece of work.  The man has his 100th birthday celebration, has been dead for years, has a wife who's there who's ancient as well, and their favorite band  happened to be the Beach Boys.  It's not enough for you to just let a dead guy have it for one night, you have to start talking merda.  I'd hate to be such an butthole that I have to be a jerk at a friggin' FUNERAL. 

What an ass. 

If the discussion indeeds slowly turns into a political discussion, then a move to the Sandbox is inevitable. But whether here on the main board, or in the Sandbox, avoid the name-calling please.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2011, 03:10:03 AM »

What an ass. 
To be fair, nobody is being a jerk "at a friggin' FUNERAL." Reagan has been dead for years. And for people with memories, it is somewhere between awkward and hilarious how he is being inaccurately lionized in recent years as a Tea Party styled reformer, when in fact he was without question a compromiser who, while apparently theoretically in favor of shrinking government, grew it consistently and never balanced a single budget, and after cutting taxes significantly early on, reversed that shortly thereafter. The man was charismatic, no doubt about it. But he didn't actually do a lot of what his current legend says or hints that he did. And finding fault either with the reality of what he did (or didn't do) or with what he's credited with doing doesn't make one an ass. Or an anti-capitalistic rager (against the machiner ... thank you, thank you ... I thought of that myself). Anyway, this is begging to become Sandboxed, so I'll shut up. Except first I'll say, I have no qualms with the Beach Boys performing at a Reagan memorial party, regardless of my disagreements with the politics. And I think all presidents deserve a certain amount of respect, also regardless of my disagreements with their politics. So go for it, Mssrs. Love, Johnston, Jardine, & Co. If you needed my blessing--which you don't--you have it.

Luther you're cool.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx